eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old December 21st, 2016, 04:00 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Things to do in Mumbai

I'll be in Mumbai for three days next week. Let's just say it'll be my first time there and looking to explore Mumbai as a tourist. Please suggest infant-friendly places to visit/avoid, things to do/not do, and good vegetarian restaurants.

I'll most likely be staying at the Oberoi, so I'm hoping to not have to go too far up north.

Understandably, it's a very busy city with lots of hustling and bustling. I'm trying not to be too worried about being on the streets with two little ones, but any general advise would be useful. Hoping to experience enough of Mumbai to say, "I've been there and it was fun!"

Sent from my iPhone.
Old December 21st, 2016, 05:12 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Things to do in Mumbai

take enough 100 rupee notes .
Old December 21st, 2016, 06:20 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

My strong suggestion:

Have the Sunday brunch at Seven Kitchens at St Regis. For family of 4 we paid around Rs7500. It was outstanding. Great spread, superb presentation and service.

Old December 21st, 2016, 06:29 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys for getting the ball rolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
take enough 100 rupee notes .
Good call. I'll ask for enough 100s at the airport when I convert USD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
My strong suggestion:

Have the Sunday brunch at Seven Kitchens at St Regis. For family of 4 we paid around Rs7500. It was outstanding. Great spread, superb presentation and service.
Unfortunately, I'll be there during the middle of the week

Sent from my iPhone.
Old December 21st, 2016, 06:32 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Questions:

Best places to get currency converted?

Best form of transportation to get from point A to point B: taxi, uber, ola?

Sent from my iPhone.
Old December 21st, 2016, 07:03 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila View Post
Questions:

Best places to get currency converted?

Currency conversion is tricky at this point. No idea about it.

Get a taxi if you sight one, great characters those taxi cab drivers ( the black and yellow ones that drive around in town) .. if you have time and are game.. ask him to show you best stuff like stars bungalows, best spots. We did that a couple times and had a whale of a time all evening.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 11:41 AM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'll be in Mumbai for three days next week. Let's just say it'll be my first time there and looking to explore Mumbai as a tourist. Please suggest infant-friendly places to visit/avoid, things to do/not do, and good vegetarian restaurants.

I'll most likely be staying at the Oberoi, so I'm hoping to not have to go too far up north.

Understandably, it's a very busy city with lots of hustling and bustling. I'm trying not to be too worried about being on the streets with two little ones, but any general advise would be useful. Hoping to experience enough of Mumbai to say, "I've been there and it was fun!"

Alyaa.......Aa kyaare?????

Kaka ne samachar ey naa aalya.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 12:19 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Thumbs up Re: Things to do in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Currency conversion is tricky at this point. No idea about it.

Get a taxi if you sight one, great characters those taxi cab drivers ( the black and yellow ones that drive around in town) .. if you have time and are game.. ask him to show you best stuff like stars bungalows, best spots. We did that a couple times and had a whale of a time all evening.
I am planning to get enough cash at the airport itself, but was just wondering if there are recommended places once out in the city. Regardless, I can always do it at the hotel.

Re: taxi -- great idea, I think I'd do it in a heartbeat if I was traveling alone. Only concern is what if the driver I find is not a great character... But I like the idea and I'll see if I can find a car rental company with driver (or if the hotel can recommend one) for a few hours and drive around like you said. At least I'll know who the company is and who the driver is in case I get conned. The paranoia can be attributed to this

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 12:43 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

The trick is to find cabbies that are localites/old timers (Marathi/rarely gujju guys) .. not the UP/Bihar bhaiyas.

If you have time and would like to try some good Punjabi food.. in Bandra West I'd recommend a family favorite .. Papa Pancho da dhaba (from punjabi gaali pencho ) .. They serve great punjabi cuisine.. restaurant owner is the famous adman Prahlad Kakkar. Falooda at Haji Ali Juice Center in Mahalaxmi is super delectable.

Definitely, take a walk and watch the sunset at Promenade.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 12:59 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

try sardar pav bhaji at tardeo . is served with half a packet of amul butter in each plate .

if you eat non veg ---

butter chicken at jai jawan off linking road at khar .

tandoori tangdi at sigdi restaurant on clear road below byculla flyover .

all three are second grade restaurants however---known more for food than ambience .
Old December 22nd, 2016, 01:47 PM
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute

If you like non veg, you have to go to Bade Miya near Gateway.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 05:44 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Call Oberon concierge. They should be able to setup a tour for you to Elephanta caves. That's a safe and enjoyable option. That should cover most of the South Mumbai attractions.

Don't try to become too Indian and venture too much. There's nothing much to see or do frankly. I think Mumbai has become anot expensive trash can.

There are some art shows that the kids might enjoy. In Delhi you have the kingdom of dreams. There might be similar shows in mumbai. Try to catch a sporting event or some award ceremony. It might be entertaining.

The best part of Mumbai now is the airport.

Old December 22nd, 2016, 05:57 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Two little ones When did you become a grandfather Congratulations

Don't know much about South Bombay... am from the suburbs. Just went to the southside for pub-hopping... something I would not recommend with two little ones. Day trip to Elephanta Caves as Kalisandas pai mentions... visit Gateway of India... and window-shop at the Bentley showroom.

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old December 22nd, 2016, 09:22 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Questions:

Uber worked quite well in Hyderabad. It should work well in Mumbai too. Get an Indian SIM card with data too ready (Jio?)

Rest of my advice will mostly be 'spiritual'

Montegar (Colaba), Geoffreys (Churchgate/Nariman point) - It is almost next to Oberois @Marine Plaza. Velocity (worli).
Old December 23rd, 2016, 09:01 AM
Super eCharchan

I used Uber too. I got a sim card in India. I used uber and Ola a lot. Ola is better they say. Worked fine for me.