eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old September 4th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Discrimination vs Bad Customer Service

How do you tell these two apart? Is there a thumb rule. I don’t seem to get the hang of it. See below example, for the life of me, I don’t know what this is!
Example: we were returning from a vacation; I told my daughter to sit in the first row of the business class (thanks to our working perks) while I was arranging my hand baggage in the overhead compartment. My back was turned away from her. The flight attendant told my daughter (rather rudely), “don’t sit here! Go find your parents in the back.”
I turned, shoved the boarding pass in his hands at which point he blushed and started to help me with the luggage.

About 30 mins later he came with the menu and I asked what do they have in red wines. He very gently reminded me that it has alcohol in it....I blinked.

And at the check out counters in homedepot. I notice at times the smiles vanish when they see me but resumes to the next one after me...

So any experience of yours where it’s hard to tell?
Old September 4th, 2018, 02:46 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Discrimination vs Bad Customer Service

So much for Trudeau donning up the Desi costumes.

The airline guys must be taking a revenge for the cold treatment JT was given on his India visit.
Old September 4th, 2018, 02:49 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
How do you tell these two apart? Is there a thumb rule. I donít seem to get the hang of it.
More details in individual cases.

Quote:
The flight attendant told my daughter (rather rudely), ďdonít sit here! Go find your parents in the back.Ē
I turned, shoved the boarding pass in his hands at which point he blushed and started to help me with the luggage.

About 30 mins later he came with the menu and I asked what do they have in red wines. He very gently reminded me that it has alcohol in it....I blinked.
Stereotyping.

Quote:
ters in homedepot. I notice at times the smiles vanish when they see me but resumes to the next one after me...
Bad customer service would not be smiling at anyone. It is obviously discrimination.
Old September 4th, 2018, 06:39 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it’s there all around us. The greeter in sam’s club has been seeing ne for over 6 years, he won’t make a smiley on the receipt for my son who’s distraught every time.. the greeter has a new excuse each time.. like too many people behind us, or may be another day.. so i said to my son loudly, he’s not a nice guy, he never makes a smiley for us. The guy (old greeter faggot) can’t even fake that smile anymore.

One day recently he was taking time to check the receipt, i told him .. hurry up old guy there’s a long queue behind me (there was nobody actually).
Old September 4th, 2018, 07:01 PM

Looks like it is very discreet in this side of the pond.

When i newly landed in Inglistan, some staff of the hotel calls me 'Mr Patel'.

On the roads you hear 'F*ing Asians' '*ing Pakis' or '*ing Terrorists' - thanks to sharing skin color.
Old September 4th, 2018, 07:38 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

You faced subtle and direct discrimination...

So leave your Canada and come to California... where If You Ain't Brown They Just Frown
Old September 5th, 2018, 06:11 AM
Banned

Ramesh Suresh is infamous around these partsRamesh Suresh is infamous around these partsRamesh Suresh is infamous around these partsRamesh Suresh is infamous around these parts

What about discrimination our family faced in INDIA because our appearance probably looks like of lower middle class?

Would that INDIAN restaurant in INDIA lose lucrative customers if they attended to us? We (me and my parents) were waiting and waiting. The waiter/manager was - I guess - promptly serving others. When we questioned I suppose he looked with a quizzical gesture of raising head. Finally we decided to leave in a huff.
Old September 5th, 2018, 06:26 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
So much for Trudeau donning up the Desi costumes.

The airline guys must be taking a revenge for the cold treatment JT was given on his India visit.
This particular incident actually happened in your land, not in mine
Quote:
More details in individual cases.

Stereotyping.

Bad customer service would not be smiling at anyone. It is obviously discrimination.
That is true. Even in this day and age, people still dont accept the multi cultural society that is all around them. I know a man who has never tasted curry in all his life. Not just Indian, not even Jamaican or That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Yeah, itís there all around us. The greeter in samís club has been seeing ne for over 6 years, he wonít make a smiley on the receipt for my son whoís distraught every time.. the greeter has a new excuse each time.. like too many people behind us, or may be another day.. so i said to my son loudly, heís not a nice guy, he never makes a smiley for us. The guy (old greeter faggot) canít even fake that smile anymore.

One day recently he was taking time to check the receipt, i told him .. hurry up old guy thereís a long queue behind me (there was nobody actually).
Older folks are not too shy to demonstrate that dislike towards color. Some (like in your case) cannot even find it in them to smile at a child. Speaks volumes about them. Sad...
Old September 5th, 2018, 06:30 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh Suresh View Post
What about discrimination our family faced in INDIA because our appearance probably looks like of lower middle class?

Would that INDIAN restaurant in INDIA lose lucrative customers if they attended to us? We (me and my parents) were waiting and waiting. The waiter/manager was - I guess - promptly serving others. When we questioned I suppose he looked with a quizzical gesture of raising head. Finally we decided to leave in a huff.
I think the personal grooming/ appearance of being 'wealthy' plays a vital role even in the West, not just in India. Though its subtle here, it still is there. If a waitress/ waiter is allotted 3 tables at the same time, chances are he/she will pick the one who is wealthy looking (perhaps because of tips?)
Old September 5th, 2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:
I think the personal grooming/ appearance of being 'wealthy' plays a vital role even in the West, not just in India. Though its subtle here, it still is there. If a waitress/ waiter is allotted 3 tables at the same time, chances are he/she will pick the one who is wealthy looking (perhaps because of tips?)
Works other way too. Me and a friend went to a hospital to get a medical certificate. The docs asked openly for 50 Rs. A couple of more stylish guys went for the same thing and they were asked 100rs :ROFL:
Old September 5th, 2018, 06:51 AM
Banned

Ramesh Suresh is infamous around these partsRamesh Suresh is infamous around these partsRamesh Suresh is infamous around these partsRamesh Suresh is infamous around these parts
Question Re: Discrimination vs Bad Customer Service

Quote:
Works other way too. Me and a friend went to a hospital to get a medical certificate. The docs asked openly for 50 Rs. A couple of more stylish guys went for the same thing and they were asked 100rs :ROFL:
You go to UK for onsite assignments, right? How more stylish can one get?
Old September 5th, 2018, 06:55 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
In a restaurant scenario, I dont think they can openly ask for tips. But if they do, it would be bad customer service.
Old September 5th, 2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
You go to UK for onsite assignments, right? How more stylish can one get?
That was way before i went anywhere outside Bharat.
Old September 5th, 2018, 07:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
That was way before i went anywhere outside Bharat.
How do we fix this? dress better?

BTW, can you pls see that Stree thread. I had a question for you and I am burning with curiosity there.
Old September 5th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How do you tell these two apart? Is there a thumb rule. I donít seem to get the hang of it. See below example, for the life of me, I donít know what this is!
Example: we were returning from a vacation; I told my daughter to sit in the first row of the business class (thanks to our working perks) while I was arranging my hand baggage in the overhead compartment. My back was turned away from her. The flight attendant told my daughter (rather rudely), ďdonít sit here! Go find your parents in the back.Ē

And at the check out counters in homedepot. I notice at times the smiles vanish when they see me but resumes to the next one after me...

So any experience of yours where itís hard to tell?
Aeroplane incident is discrimination but it happens with white people also.
Home Depot incident is discrimination and happens mostly with brown people.