eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

View Poll Results: How do you file your taxes?
Prepare all the forms myself 5 33.33%
Services like H & R Block 6 40.00%
Turbo Tax, some other software 3 20.00%
I dont believe in taxes 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 15th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Today is tax day!!

Hope all of you have filed your taxes!!

Can you share which method of tax preparation you used. H & R Block, filling forms yourself, a CPA?
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

baapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond reputebaapji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Today is tax day!!

I always file by myself but definitely asked my company's accountant for the maximum return tips

-B
SABKO HAI PATAAAAAA............
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

When I had "job" I was doing it myself.

Now due to business I get it done by my CPA since he does everything for the business accounting and payroll. That way I have peace of mind atleast and save some time for business.
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Axecuse Me?

dawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud of
Red face Re: Today is tax day!!

Is baari was the last time apun apne aap kiya tax forms....ab iske aage vaanda, ab CA type kisi ko pakad ke karwaaonga this point on , no more headache!
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of

Since 2 yrs, I got it done through a guy who works in my mother-in-law's office (for Free). I don't know if he is a CPA or not, however has not got me in trouble yet. I think, its not that difficult when filing for an Individual, I just have been to lazy to do it.
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorJR
Since 2 yrs, I got it done through a guy who works in my mother-in-law's office (for Free). I don't know if he is a CPA or not, however has not got me in trouble yet. I think, its not that difficult when filing for an Individual, I just have been to lazy to do it.

Give it a shot. Its easy to follow, and very easy for ppl with standard deductions. I mean if you rent, don't have kids....its piece of cake. Even if you have kids and mortgage (for house) its very easy. Gets complicated when you have to claim more deductions than standard.

Although beaware of so called "Tax-experts" who claims they will get you money back, lot of times they put false info in the forms.

Once my brother in law's papers I checked for curiosity, this desi dude who filled out his forms for $25, claimed lot of deductions like baby sitting expenses etc...etc... and for that he put down "info Unavailabe" for who its paid to.

Why take chances for couple of hundred bucks of "savings"?

A friend of mine got audited few years back and his so called "tax expert" (same guy, my B'inlaw had his forms filled by) had screwed him, and so hence got screwed royally by IRS.

PS: This "tax expert" is well known in chicago area and he is in jail these days, guess for what?

Under money laundering for some muslim guys in the name of "Jihad". He did some money transfers for him and now he is done. Because that A$$hole was transfering money to some banned organizations who spreads terrorisam in the name of Islam.
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmthaLal
Give it a shot. Its easy to follow, and very easy for ppl with standard deductions. I mean if you rent, don't have kids....its piece of cake. Even if you have kids and mortgage (for house) its very easy. Gets complicated when you have to claim more deductions than standard.

Although beaware of so called "Tax-experts" who claims they will get you money back, lot of times they put false info in the forms.
However, this guy makes my taxes simple with Standard Deductions and no extra deductions. Rent, No Kids (yet). I will do it myself next year.
Got some from the State this year, however had to pay half of it towards Fed Taxes. (I was being silly and claiming 9 for a couple of months, due to need for money.)
Old April 15th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
Hope all of you have filed your taxes!!

Can you share which method of tax preparation you used. H & R Block, filling forms yourself, a CPA?
self......I believe if you earn less than 1M a year, its doable by yourself....I am actually surprised most people even resort to using CPA etc.
Old April 15th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute

dhurandhar, teri baat alag bhai..
bhagwan nay tereku bhot dimaag diya bhai..
chaiyla aapun ko pailay say dimag kamti,plus screw bhi dheela bhai
benjo keech keech nai maangta aapun ko..seedha H & R block jaata
Old April 15th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Senior eCharchan

Desi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant futureDesi24 has a brilliant future

I used to go to H&R block till I realized that I wasn't getting the return I should have. The last 2 yrs I have been going to a cpa and very happy with the service.
Old April 15th, 2005, 07:12 PM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute

mine was done by a nice prof in my univ's business school. it was for free and he was real nice in helping me with all the paperwork (infact it hardly took 10mins).

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Senior eCharchan

Ravi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond repute

For last few years, it's always been on web. Next year onwards, though, I guess I plan to use HR Block or others. I don't mind spending 15-20 more, but it will be much thorough.
Old April 16th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiBaba
dhurandhar, teri baat alag bhai..
bhagwan nay tereku bhot dimaag diya bhai..
chaiyla aapun ko pailay say dimag kamti,plus screw bhi dheela bhai
benjo keech keech nai maangta aapun ko..seedha H & R block jaata
I was not required to file tax return this year....
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Gujju Style..........

Buy the turbo tax CD at the cheapes rate possible .

Qucikly fil out all the mail in rebate forms.......

Do your taxes ( Every year I have used turbo Tax. )

If you are getting refund. Check a few online sites.

If the amount is close. Use turbo tax to file your return.

Get refund deposited in bank.

Sell the turbo tax CD on ebay and recover most of the cost of your Tax software ( Half price sale on ebay and mail in rebates )
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.