eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old October 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Junior eCharchan

GunjanHathi is on a distinguished road
Post What is the real concept of being vegetarian in Hinduism?

Some of my Non-Hindu friends use to ask me that why you are not eating meats, fish and all? What is the real concept for being vegetarian in Hinduism. They use to add that if you are thinking that non-vege food like Animal product contains blood and all and it is all live things then fruits, vegetables and other vegetarian row items has also life in it. These all are same like animals. Like killing ennocent and helpless animal is called bad karma in Hinduism then to kill the corps of vegetable and fruits is same like to killing animal.I want to know what is real explanation to being vegetarian in Hinduism???
Old October 17th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Livin La Vida Loca

YedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the real concept of being vegetarian in Hinduism?

Ohh no not again!
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by YedaAnna View Post
Ohh no not again!
No no.. let us discuss

Baba Gunjan ji Maharaj, its simple - Hinduism is a way of life and the belief is that one should not harm other living beings. Plants have life, but its okay to eat them because in the old days no one knew that plants have a life. Simple.

And welcome to our small little community - sugar and melodrama free community
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Atithi Devoh Bhavah

atithivrat has much to be proud ofatithivrat has much to be proud ofatithivrat has much to be proud ofatithivrat has much to be proud ofatithivrat has much to be proud ofatithivrat has much to be proud ofatithivrat has much to be proud ofatithivrat has much to be proud of

if you search echarcha you will find a number of places where we have discussed this ...

One that was discussed very recently and very heatedly was here
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Livin La Vida Loca

YedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond reputeYedaAnna has a reputation beyond repute

I think GunjanHathi is switching to a veggie diet to get rid of the Hathi tag from her name
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Senior eCharchan

marvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond reputemarvelous has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunjanHathi View Post
Some of my Non-Hindu friends use to ask me that why you are not eating meats, fish and all? What is the real concept for being vegetarian in Hinduism. They use to add that if you are thinking that non-vege food like Animal product contains blood and all and it is all live things then fruits, vegetables and other vegetarian row items has also life in it. These all are same like animals. Like killing ennocent and helpless animal is called bad karma in Hinduism then to kill the corps of vegetable and fruits is same like to killing animal.I want to know what is real explanation to being vegetarian in Hinduism???
Food is responsible for our physical birth and also the development of our bodies.

What we eat decides our physical well being as well as our mental makeup.

If we eat sattvic food (pure food) we become sattvic (pure) beings.

If we heat rajasic food (hot and spicy) we become rajasic (ambitious, temparamental, egoistic etc).

If we eat animal food or intoxicating foods, we may develop animal qualities and lethargic nature.

Therefore we have to be careful about our food. Besides killing innocent and helpless animals for the purpose of filling ones stomach is a bad karma with harmful consequences.

In Hinduism vegetarian is compulsory as far as I'm aware and the same I have been taught since childhood.
Old October 18th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunjanHathi View Post
Real concept: One upmanship/holier than Buddha
Since Buddhists were allowed to eat trikoti(three kinds of) meat only, so to beat them in the race of holiness Hindus shunned meat altogether

Rest justifications are good use of words...

Old October 18th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Senior eCharchan

vyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelous View Post
Food is responsible for our physical birth
i thot it was result of collective effort of our respective mom and dad's

never knew kinky sex using vegetables/fruits can also make people pregnant....gals living in hostels/masturbating elsewhere should excercise caution when using cucumber/carrots/brinjals etc....according to marvi pai...there are chances of getting pregnant
Old October 18th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyomkeshsaxena View Post
i thot it was result of collective effort of our respective mom and dad's

never knew kinky sex using vegetables/fruits can also make people pregnant....gals living in hostels/masturbating elsewhere should excercise caution when using cucumber/carrots/brinjals etc....according to marvi pai...there are chances of getting pregnant
ha ha ... that's a good one. lol @ "physical birth".

Once our classteacher wanted us to make a sentence out of the words "Daan Punya"... there was this guy who cam up with this gem "Daan Punya karne se Swargwas hota hai !!" Don't know why I recalled this now.

GunjanHastipai !! Check with your nearest IsKonics... they seem to have all the answers.
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Let me tell you with examples

If you have green leafy vegetables like spinach and fenugreek then you get very clean and smooth bowel movements. Very nice and satisying.

If you have lots of legumes and lentils (daal) then you will fart up a storm and your crap splatter pattern in your commode can rival the blood splatter patterns they show on TV crime shows.

If you have nice cheese burgers then you get very susage like firm yet easy passing stools. So there is no problem in eating non veg food. Oh, only thing is that with burgers, when you fart, there is that typical hundred percent pure fart smell. Other than that no problems. Oh and yes, you should drink lots of water when you have non veg burgers or spinach for maximum effect.

And oh... ok its time you discovered how you shit after eating different foods.
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Let me tell you with examples

If you have green leafy vegetables like spinach and fenugreek then you get very clean and smooth bowel movements. Very nice and satisying.

If you have lots of legumes and lentils (daal) then you will fart up a storm and your crap splatter pattern in your commode can rival the blood splatter patterns they show on TV crime shows.

If you have nice cheese burgers then you get very susage like firm yet easy passing stools. So there is no problem in eating non veg food. Oh, only thing is that with burgers, when you fart, there is that typical hundred percent pure fart smell. Other than that no problems. Oh and yes, you should drink lots of water when you have non veg burgers or spinach for maximum effect.

And oh... ok its time you discovered how you shit after eating different foods.
Cha, your expertise ... un paralleled ...
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai View Post
Cha, your expertise ... un paralleled ...
kyon maska maar raha hai be ?
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Junior eCharchan

mehenthi ladka is on a distinguished road

Am strictly non vegetarian
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantikari View Post
kyon maska maar raha hai be ?
expertise as it relates to gastro-intestinal-metabolism effects on the body ...

BTW, how are you? I am an ex-ISKCON prabhu and I liked your last line in one of your replies to this thread ... "they have all the answers"
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai View Post
expertise as it relates to gastro-intestinal-metabolism effects on the body ...

BTW, how are you? I am an ex-ISKCON prabhu and I liked your last line in one of your replies to this thread ... "they have all the answers"
They eat lots of yummy food too.