eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Philosophy

Notices

Philosophy To be or not to be...

Old July 4th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Senior eCharchan

vyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Was Lord ram Non Vegeterain ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai
I just hope VyomiPai, your heaven is much better that ours and the same applies to hell ... By the way, did you know, Jainas believe that there are 7 heavens and 7 hells (each better than the other) ... I wonder which one chitragupt chose to use ...
i dont believe in hell or heaven

my khandaan follows vedic hinduism....no reincarnation/after life....no idol worship etc etc....itz just that recently i met my nanaji (after almost 13 years) and sat down with him to discuss Hinduism and why our family is not into idol worshiping etc and for that matter i dont have anything to do with chitraguptji also ...

anyways...since my visit was like 36hrs to my maternal home..i was not able to photocopy the articles written by my nanaji in his personal diary...i have asked my cousins to photocopy and send them to me..i am sure after reading them i will come out with some interesting topics on religion/philosophy on EC...
Old July 4th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Senior eCharchan

vyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
technically, Brhaman means the "The One ... or the SUPREME ONE" ... Brahmin, implies to that self-realized person (not the realization artificially obtained from the books) who has realized that everything is just ONE ...

It is not a caste or not a crowd ...
and tragedy is....such type of people are almost extinct and the stuff exists only as a caste!!
Old July 4th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi
No, he is not.
Just because Gods are not vegetarians, it doesn't mean that you (or a human) should not be a vegetarian. That's basis tenet of Aryanism (or Hinduism).
Has any of you seen God ... I havent ... God is just a word ... just as Creator, SuperSoul, Soul, ... etc are just words ... We ascribe our meaning to them when we hear them ...

The same applies to Vegetarianism ... Linguistically these imply some cult that eats vegetables ... But there could always be a fine line for any generalization ... Jains draw too many lines around the concept of vegetarianism ... in fact something that are prescribed generally under the umbrella of vegetarianism are not supposed to be eaten during the monsoon season et al. The reason, worms could be inside the fruits or vegetables and one could accumulate the sin or the karma of killing them ...

the same applies to curd ...

But as I see it, I feel all these words are way too generic ... The word sin and its opposite also falls into the same category ...
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyomkeshsaxena

my khandaan follows vedic hinduism....no reincarnation/after life....no idol worship etc etc....itz just that recently i met my nanaji (after almost 13 years) and sat down with him to discuss Hinduism and why our family is not into idol worshiping etc and for that matter i dont have anything to do with chitraguptji also ...

anyways...since my visit was like 36hrs to my maternal home..i was not able to photocopy the articles written by my nanaji in his personal diary...i have asked my cousins to photocopy and send them to me..i am sure after reading them i will come out with some interesting topics on religion/philosophy on EC...
Idol worshipping is one big stupidity ... one treats their fellow beings as if they are like stones with no feelings and then they go to the same temple with supposedly devotional feelings for a personality whom no one as seen except as a stone statue ... and then they expect to absolve whatever they have done to others from such a stone ... in fact, there are some fundamentalists who in the name of saving their own religious stones would wage a dangaa against other communities and they wouldnt mind killing other living entities with a stone like staunch belief ... and to protect what .. a deity represented in stone ... or a stone that ended up representing these killings ...

Man the pinnacle of creation ... seems like he is not ... those buffaloes at Cougar were way better and intelligent ...

Last edited by landyaBhai; July 4th, 2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:

my khandan follows Jainism and I have seen their stupidities ... my mother will not drink water from any muslim friends home .. but then she wouldnt think twice as to who the milkman is or who the vegetable vendor is or who is that person who operates the overhead water tank ...

infact one of my aunt is devout Jain ... she drinks only water that has been purified by using cloth to strain off impurities off of the well water and then she takes only that water ... recently she had to go to the hospital to check her husband's welfare after his bypass operation and then somehow she ran out of water ... she had to drink the water obtained from the pharmacy of the hospital and she was saying ...

"oh aaj mujhe praschit karna padegaa ..." and my mom is like "What?"

Imagine these two personalities trying to believe how one is more better than the others ... my mom may think that she is way to strict on Jainism and is of uneducated types whilst my aunt is thinking that my mom has lost her spirituality after she moved to mumbai and I am thinking what the heck guys? It's just water ...
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
if brahmins had allowed other caste people to study religion then...... '

see baby...according to vedas...there is no division of people based on anything....so...

and vedas are alive today in dusty corners of some libraries etc....what religion u understand and follow came into existance only 2K years back....after the aryans...read shastras/vedas etc...and u will come to know what hindu religion is all about....
I just dont understand how someone could base their lives on something that was written by someone some years back ... heck no one knows who wrote it ... for what purpose ... One of my Vaishnav friend gave me this reason, "Well it's a scripture and it's in sanskrit and the # number of devotees and their education profiles" ... just to prove what ... that we should trust these writings ...

Have you ever followed your own new year resolutions that everyone seems to write at the eve of every new year ... I dont remember following it for more than a day or two ... I feel these resolutions would have helped mankind more than these scriptures ... atleast they would not have any common ground to fight on it ...

Imagine, tantu coming to me and saying to me "You better follow my new year resolutions they are simply the best or else be ready for the consequences ..."

I think at least that would have been much better than fighting who has the original copy of the scriptures and whether the author was Vishnu or brahma or Buddha...
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Proud LLKC member

As I see it if there is someone who is out there who is responsible for this whole universe ... I think he would have programmed our religious duties with our own natural activities such as breathing, eating, sex, etc ..

If one is able to perceive vision and breathe air and one does not need to learn this from anyone, why is that that supreme personality (if he exists) failed to program our Vedas, vegetarianism, Christianity, and kuran into our brains so that we could follow these naturally?

BTW, every religion has a reason for this as well ... Vaishnavas believe that the Lord gave the human almost complete independence to do whatever he wanted ... and somehow He realized that not programming religious practices into our DNA was the only way to prove that "He has given us the complete independence"

Jains have a totally different understanding ...

Last edited by landyaBhai; July 4th, 2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Idol worshipping is one big stupidity ... one treats their fellow beings as if they are like stones with no feelings and then they go to the same temple with supposedly devotional feelings for a personality whom no one as seen except as a stone statue ... and then they expect to absolve whatever they have done to others from such a stone ... in fact, there are some fundamentalists who in the name of saving their own religious stones would wage a dangaa against other communities and they wouldnt mind killing other living entities with a stone like staunch belief ... and to protect what .. a deity represented in stone ... or a stone that ended up representing these killings ...

Man the pinnacle of creation ... seems like he is not ... those buffaloes at Cougar were way better and intelligent ...
Was expecting you to take one step ahead and say Worshipping is one big stupidity....reallly...for what... sycophancy, fear, gratitude...

Even if there exists One....do you think he care enough.. or is he fool enough to fall for your assl icking and give you rewards....
none of the religion (may be christianity gives a hint of it) portrays gods as cruel or brutal megalomaniac who enjoys pushing people in fear...
Remember Hiranyakashipu.. dad of Prahlad...he conceptualised God of fear...and he was successful in everyone praying for him save his son....Almost a parallel reference we find in Roman emperor Caligula's case.. They were "almost" God once...

Gratitude... you don't know whom are you showing your gratitude to... if he is omniscient then he would know that you are grateful...if not , then does it matter?

Old July 4th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala
Was expecting you to take one step ahead and say Worshipping is one big stupidity....reallly...for what... sycophancy, fear, gratitude...

Even if there exists One....do you think he care enough.. or is he fool enough to fall for your assl icking and give you rewards....
none of the religion (may be christianity gives a hint of it) portrays gods as cruel or brutal megalomaniac who enjoys pushing people in fear...
Remember Hiranyakashipu.. dad of Prahlad...he conceptualised God of fear...and he was successful in everyone praying for him save his son....Almost a parallel reference we find in Roman emperor Caligula's case.. They were "almost" God once...

Gratitude... you don't know whom are you showing your gratitude to... if he is omniscient then he would know that you are grateful...if not , then does it matter?
You know chitrala, for lack of vocabulary or may be due to the fact that language cannot explain the variety of feelings and emotions (instead they just explain them away and we are left on our own to take whatever refuge under any word), I feel even worshiping falls short ... just as meditation could mean thinking ... except that one is thinking upon oneself ... and even this would not explain what meditation is because then we would need to say "Stupid, its thinking not with your mind" ... this also falls short ... and with subsequent improvisations, we feel that it is better to be silent than to just explain anything away ...

Imagine the plight of someone wise trying to search for that wisdom after which there would be no need to search anymore ... S/he reads all the vedas ... takes refuge in all these words like nirvana, moksha, heaven, paaps...punyas ... only to realize that more than half the life has gone by and still the person has not changed ... nothing has been achieved and S/he still feels vulnerable to every mischief coming from the creativity of his/her own mind ...

Sometimes, I believe, people stick to their beliefs because they know that it is easier to identify themselves in a crowd or among crowds that have different beliefs (that have been assumed to be more factual than reality of his/her own existence) ... The funniest thing is that each one of them would not like to actually question one's own belief all alone ... they would like to question the belief of the other individual in the other crowd ... their identity then becomes more relevant as they see themselves standing in the crowd as one big unity ... Although technically deep down inside they are not in harmony with their own beliefs ... their own mind is not united with their own beliefs ...

This is the reason why for every religion or sect we have subsects and subcastes ... this same crowd now splits into multiple crowd ... and the process continues ... and the man inside the crowd keeps missing himself, although the idea to join the crowd to begin with was to search himself ...

You should look at Jains ... they talk about non-violence to animals, plants ... and when they fight over temples, you should see them ... they forget their own principles ...

Last edited by landyaBhai; July 4th, 2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know if this is right or wrong, but my understanding was that in Hindu way of life, a cow was considered sacred as it provided complete nutrition by way of milk, which also was used to make butter and curd. Cow dung was used to make dry patties which were used for burning as fuel. Also cow dung was used as a plastering agent for houses made of wood and leaves and other things. However, I dont know of any other 'rule' whereby eating non vegetarian food was prohibited.
Old July 4th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Spiritual Healer

jammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant future

Lord Ram was a Non Vegetarian and for some of the members i would like to clarify here that even Lord Buddha was a non vegetarian and he ate meat on the last day of his time in earth.If you disagree go to the place where he breathed his last (its somewhere in Bihar i dont remember the name fully but its not BodhGaya).It was even flashed in Discovery channel which aired Buddha's life and his journey
Even brahmins were eating meat and they use to call it prasad though the meat they eat is the sacrifice that is done in the temples and its prevelent even today in many parts of the country
Brahmins used to slaughter cows as a sacrifice to there deity and then eat there meat
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM
eCharchan

King has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
if brahmins had allowed other caste people to study religion then...... '

see baby...according to vedas...there is no division of people based on anything....so...

and vedas are alive today in dusty corners of some libraries etc....what religion u understand and follow came into existance only 2K years back....after the aryans...read shastras/vedas etc...and u will come to know what hindu religion is all about....
Yeah right .. as though we see all people lining up to study the vedas now

BTY what makes you such an authority on the current day Vedas. What proficiency do you have with vedas/shastras?

Maybe the Varna system was introduced by brahmins, but in the beginning, It was not based on birth and was in fact the most fundamental division of society. The concept itself is nothing different from what we see in today's society.

Also I request you to not use a condescending tone and use words like "baby". I am not your baby. If you want to discuss like adults we can go on...or I am out of this discussion.
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Spiritual Healer

jammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant futurejammy69 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by King

BTY what makes you such an authority on the current day Vedas. What proficiency do you have with vedas/shastras?
There is a authority about vedas about the some parts that is available.Its even being brought to Indian Museum so that you can see it in originality will try to post links once i get to the extract where i read it.
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:

Maybe the Varna system was introduced by brahmins, but in the beginning, It was not based on birth and was in fact the most fundamental division of society. The concept itself is nothing different from what we see in today's society.

Also I request you to not use a condescending tone and use words like "baby". I am not your baby. If you want to discuss like adults we can go on...or I am out of this discussion.
do u need to know micro-processor architecture before u use your comp...KING...and do u ask every person u meet about their proficiency/authority first while discussing 'trivial' issues ....why dont u concentrate on objections raised in posts rather than confirming the authority/proficiency of the person who asked it...hit the post KING..not the poster....golden law of discussions ( and then trivial thing like baby/sweety too will become a non-issue )....see....there is so much we will learn from u if u can bring facts and figures..two days back..i dint know buddha was a non-vegeterian...see....

anyways...i dont mind if u see me ignorant on this issue as much as i see u ignorant on what i feel (punchword is -I FEEL) ...PEACE

Last edited by vyomkeshsaxena; July 5th, 2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
well...same answer...if they had allowed people to pursue religious studies then....

and if iem not wrong...the guys were even not allowed to enter temple premises...

and reg lining up for studies....individual preference u c...if u r saying that back then only brahmins were interested in studying religion and its propagation then i cannot do anything about it...even now there is resistance when a non-brahmin/woman becomes shankaracharya...is it written in religious texts or is it brahmin-hinduism....

see..iem anti brahminism...not brahmins....coz if certain brahmins feel that they are the 'chosen one' entrusted with studying, preserving or propagating hinduism then it is the duty of every indian (from any religion, caste,race) to help india get rid of them....

Last edited by vyomkeshsaxena; July 6th, 2008 at 03:04 AM.