eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Spiritual > Philosophy

Notices

Philosophy To be or not to be...

Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:20 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute
Was Lord ram Non Vegeterain ?

I talked to my dad and he is reading a book about how Lord Ram and other devas in past used to enjoy meat. So I did some research and there is some thiought floating around that ram was a khatriya and meat eater. Some examples.

(1) Rama killed Vali one of his points of justification was "You are an animal, an Ape and I am a human. I can kill animals for sound reasons as long I do not exterminate your entire species."

(2) Rama hunted the golden deer at the request of Sita who said - "bring it alive if not kill it and we shall eat its meat and take its skin"

(3) Rama performed the horse sacrifice to expand his kingdom and fought against anyone king who opposed

some thought on this ?
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:36 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Was Lord ram Non Vegeterain ?

I believe all over Gods were non-veg. This pure-veg bullshit started with Buddha and King Ashoka "the coward"
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:49 AM
Senior eCharchan

Ravi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond repute

Lord Ram was a Kshatriya, and by default kshatrias eat meat.
He even went the deer hunting - which basically got him and his wife in trouble in the first place. Now, if he ate the animals after he hunted them down is debatable, but I don't know why I would hunt if I weren't eating it later on.

That said: Tantu bhai makes an interesting point. Vegetarianism has nothing to do with Buddha. Buddha didn't start vegetarianism. He was against 'violence' - which at that time meant not waging meaningless wars between all these petty small little kings. And as for Buddism, even Dalai Lama is not a vegetarian.

Last edited by Ravi; July 9th, 2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:01 AM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

Lord Ram was non-Vegeaterian. And many other Avatars of Vishnu. Lord Buddha was Vegeaterian (note Siddharth is not Buddha as depected in popular stories.... As per Hinduism Siddharth story is fake).... and so was Vaman avatar of Vishnu. Lord Vishnu in his original form does not need nourishment. About other devi-devatas, there is a very big list out there... not possible to discuss in this forum.. .also there is not enough information out there that helps us come to conclusion.

And Yes, Emperor Ashok was not a coward. One often mistakes inclination towards peace as the sign of a loser. In fact, it is the belligerant who is a loser all the time.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:32 AM
Senior eCharchan

Ravi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond reputeRavi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantikari
And many other Avatars of Vishnu. Lord Buddha was Vegeaterian
Buddha is not an avatar of Vishnu.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:03 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi
Yes Budhha is an avatar of Vishnu. But thats another thread, So if all the Gods were non vegetarian , why should we follow the path for vegetarianism from religious prespective. I am talking about hindu religion not Jain. Jains have differant books to follow.
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:19 AM
Senior eCharchan

vyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty
I am talking about hindu religion not Jain. Jains have differant books to follow.
therez lots of difference between the vedic dharma, arya and i-forgot-the-name- of-other-strain of hindu religion....

what hinduism we follow now came into existence some 2 thousand years back which was totally polluted by brahmins to suit their motives....arya stuff is close to vedic except that they believe in reincarnation or life after death....lord rama, krishna.. all of them followed vedic hinduism which is the the first and unadulterated form of our religion...ever saw them idol worshipping etc??

nowhere in vedic hinduism vegetarianism is compulsory for people....as i said before...hinduism has been twisted and turned by brahmins so much that people refuse to study or follow the original hindu religion now..

anyways....
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
Super eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyomkeshsaxena
therez lots of difference between the vedic dharma, arya and i-forgot-the-name- of-other-strain of hindu religion....

what hinduism we follow now came into existence some 2 thousand years back which was totally polluted by brahmins to suit their motives....arya stuff is close to vedic except that they believe in reincarnation or life after death....lord rama, krishna.. all of them followed vedic hinduism which is the the first and unadulterated form of our religion...ever saw them idol worshipping etc??

nowhere in vedic hinduism vegetarianism is compulsory for people....as i said before...hinduism has been twisted and turned by brahmins so much that people refuse to study or follow the original hindu religion now..

anyways....
Intresting ..... So thats why we always see " Bamman " (Brahmin ) refusing to eat the meat ( in public ) and meat eating mostly associated with lower class folks ....
Your explaination makes sense.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Life is BEAUtiful

sunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond repute

I always thgt both Vishnu and Vamana (the dwaf) were Vishnu Awtar. Here is Wiki link, but again it is wiki link. However, that is what i always believed. Few days back there was also a documentary which resembeled the Wiki link (good for kids I guess).
So can someone elaborate how come Buddha and Vamana were not Vishu Avtar.
Being a Warror it would be obvious that Ram would be meat eater, but even Krishna was warrior, so was he meat eater too? Then how come each and every individual following Geeta says eating meat is foul?

Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Senior eCharchan

vyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond reputevyomkeshsaxena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty
Intresting ..... So thats why we always see " Bamman " (Brahmin ) refusing to eat the meat ( in public ) and meat eating mostly associated with lower class folks ....
Your explaination makes sense.
trust me bhaiji....if u get time in ur life..read the vedas...u will then understand what hindu religion is truly about....and then when u sit and compare what brahmins have done to hinduism...u will believe and take the secret pledge of 'kayashtha' community....'in ur lifetime..kill atleast one brahmin if u want to show ur face to chitraguptji (kayasth community god)...iem lucky..i already have my wud be father-in-law in my hitlist...

no offence to brahmin community..see kayasths are dual caste guyz,...brahmins+khatriyas...and probably the only caste respected by brahmins for the simple fact that when they die..itz chitragupt who will decide if they belong to hell or heaven....but when i actually started reading the black-books on hinduism and started reading vedas....i realized why west sees hinduism as incomplete religion...well....they are not seeing hinduism but brahmin-hinduism (i forgot the name of the strain)...and yep they are right in their assessment!!
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykode
Then how come each and every individual following Geeta says eating meat is foul?
vedas are pillars of hinduism...not geeta!!!

meat eating is discouraged because of human anatomy...nowhere itz written that itz banned/foul !!
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
Super eCharchan

Quote:
no offence to brahmin community..see kayasths are dual caste guyz,...brahmins+khatriyas...and probably the only caste respected by brahmins for the simple fact that when they die..itz chitragupt who will decide if they belong to hell or heaven....but when i actually started reading the black-books on hinduism and started reading vedas....i realized why west sees hinduism as incomplete religion...well....they are not seeing hinduism but brahmin-hinduism (i forgot the name of the strain)...and yep they are right in their assessment!!
Doing some research on Kayashta

Quote:
The 12 clans of Brahma Kayastha:

Mathur
Bhatnagar
Srivastava
Saxena
Surdhwaja
Ambashtha
Gour
Nigam
Karna
Asthana
Kulshreshtha
Valmik
Sinha
Verma
No wonder you know this much
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:54 AM
Super eCharchan

Quote:
vedas are pillars of hinduism...not geeta!!!

meat eating is discouraged because of human anatomy...nowhere itz written that itz banned/foul !!
Agreed . this is simmilar to catholics not eating dogs or horses. No where it says in Christianity that only meat of certain animals should be eaten but then why they dont sell dog meat in US ?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
eCharchan

King has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond repute

Without brahmins, there would be no Vedas at all today. What is this distorted hinduism that I hear about. Hinduism is ever changing with different schools of thought. You can follow whichever you like.

I believe not eating meat for brahmins was a good thing as they led a life dedicated to academics and study. the vegetarian diet helped with the non-active lifestyle. But it was never made not-ok for a Kshatriya, Vyasa or Sudra

We are all falling hook/line and sinker to the philosophy that if you destroy the priestly class or the torch bearers of a religion then the religion itself will be destroyed. This was propogated over the years by so many forces in India that tried to break down Hinduism -- Muslim invaders, British ....

On the flip side, the world will be a better place if the Muslims disown their Mullahs and think independently ...but this will not happen.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi
Buddha is Vishnu.

Quote:
lord rama, krishna.. all of them followed vedic hinduism which is the the first and unadulterated form of our religion...ever saw them idol worshipping etc??
You saw then not worship idols? Buy the way, Hindus do not worship idols. They worship Gods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King
Without brahmins, there would be no Vedas at all today.
Vedas were there even before people existed.