eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old November 12th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the real concept of being vegetarian in Hinduism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantikari View Post
They eat lots of yummy food too.
What stops you to eat yummy food?
Planetary movements??

Last edited by chitrala; November 12th, 2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala View Post
What stops you to eat yummy food?
Planetary movements??
in their case they (around 15 to 20 families) get together.... play drums and jingles and raise hands and dance and eat hearty dinner consisting of 30 to 40 varieties of delicious savories and desserts. i have been there once or twice and then i could not handle their philosophy and i dropped off. so i had to miss the yummy food too. i do not miss their music and dance though.
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantikari View Post
in their case they (around 15 to 20 families) get together.... play drums and jingles and raise hands and dance and eat hearty dinner consisting of 30 to 40 varieties of delicious savories and desserts. i have been there once or twice and then i could not handle their philosophy and i dropped off. so i had to miss the yummy food too. i do not miss their music and dance though.
C'mon buddy!
I wouldn't miss yummy food unless it would affect my bowel movements..
who cares about philosophy....eat and make merry...

Old November 12th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala View Post
C'mon buddy!
I wouldn't miss yummy food unless it would affect my bowel movements..
who cares about philosophy....eat and make merry...
Well the food is good no doubt about it .. but it comes later ... after the pravachan, keertan, dance etc ... I have been at times pretty much open-minded to coming to their programs at the very end (just for the food, you know) but then I have been fooled ... as sometimes there is keertan after the food ...
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:01 AM
eCharchan

bramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond reputebramptonmt has a reputation beyond repute

Reasons

In the past fifty years, millions of meat-eaters -- Hindus and non-Hindus -- have made the personal decision to stop eating the flesh of other creatures. There are five major motivations for such a decision:

1. The Dharmic Law Reason

Ahinsa, the law of noninjury, is the Hindu's first duty in fulfilling religious obligations to God and God's creation as defined by Vedic scripture.

2. The Karmic Consequences Reason

All of our actions, including our choice of food, have Karmic consequences. By involving oneself in the cycle of inflicting injury, pain and death, even indirectly by eating other creatures, one must in the future experience in equal measure the suffering caused.

3. The Spiritual Reason

Food is the source of the body's chemistry, and what we ingest affects our consciousness, emotions and experiential patterns. If one wants to live in higher consciousness, in peace and happiness and love for all creatures, then he cannot eat meat, fish, shellfish, fowl or eggs. By ingesting the grosser chemistries of animal foods, one introduces into the body and mind anger, jealousy, anxiety, suspicion and a terrible fear of death, all of which are locked into the the flesh of the butchered creatures. For these reasons, vegetarians live in higher consciousness and meat-eaters abide in lower consciousness.

4. The Health Reason

Medical studies prove that a vegetarian diet is easier to digest, provides a wider ranger of nutrients and imposes fewer burdens and impurities on the body. Vegetarians are less susceptible to all the major diseases that afflict contemporary humanity, and thus live longer, healthier, more productive lives. They have fewer physical complaints, less frequent visits to the doctor, fewer dental problems and smaller medical bills. Their immune system is stronger, their bodies are purer, more refined and skin more beautiful.

5. The Ecological Reason

Planet Earth is suffering. In large measure, the escalating loss of species, destruction of ancient rainforests to create pasture lands for live stock, loss of topsoils and the consequent increase of water impurities and air pollution have all been traced to the single fact of meat in the human diet. No decision that we can make as individuals or as a race can have such a dramatic effect on the improvement of our planetary ecology as the decision not to eat meat
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

You missed out on a very important reason, the Golden Rule... treat others as you would like to be treated. And this includes all life... not just human.

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Clown Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramptonmt View Post
Reasons

In the past fifty years, millions of meat-eaters -- Hindus and non-Hindus -- have made the personal decision to stop eating the flesh of other creatures. There are five major motivations for such a decision:

Ahinsa, the law of noninjury, is the Hindu's first duty in fulfilling religious obligations to God and God's creation as defined by Vedic scripture.
Links please...

I mean vedic shloqs...not some oddman godman's words..

Old November 13th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

I like non veg food and veg food. I dont eat something because of some belief. I eat non veg because chicken and mutton are made of such tasty meat I eat spinach because I get good bowel movements
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramptonmt View Post
Reasons

2. The Karmic Consequences Reason

All of our actions, including our choice of food, have Karmic consequences. By involving oneself in the cycle of inflicting injury, pain and death, even indirectly by eating other creatures, one must in the future experience in equal measure the suffering caused.

3. The Spiritual Reason

Food is the source of the body's chemistry, and what we ingest affects our consciousness, emotions and experiential patterns. If one wants to live in higher consciousness, in peace and happiness and love for all creatures, then he cannot eat meat, fish, shellfish, fowl or eggs. By ingesting the grosser chemistries of animal foods, one introduces into the body and mind anger, jealousy, anxiety, suspicion and a terrible fear of death, all of which are locked into the the flesh of the butchered creatures. For these reasons, vegetarians live in higher consciousness and meat-eaters abide in lower consciousness.

4. The Health Reason

Medical studies prove that a vegetarian diet is easier to digest, provides a wider ranger of nutrients and imposes fewer burdens and impurities on the body. Vegetarians are less susceptible to all the major diseases that afflict contemporary humanity, and thus live longer, healthier, more productive lives. They have fewer physical complaints, less frequent visits to the doctor, fewer dental problems and smaller medical bills. Their immune system is stronger, their bodies are purer, more refined and skin more beautiful.

5. The Ecological Reason

Planet Earth is suffering. In large measure, the escalating loss of species, destruction of ancient rainforests to create pasture lands for live stock, loss of topsoils and the consequent increase of water impurities and air pollution have all been traced to the single fact of meat in the human diet. No decision that we can make as individuals or as a race can have such a dramatic effect on the improvement of our planetary ecology as the decision not to eat meat
So according to vedic laws, trees and plants dont have right to live ??
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Senior eCharchan

JustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond repute

I almost wanted to avoid this at all cost but couldn't. But here you go. Please do not ask for links as i do not have any. This is what I have learnt. good or bad, right or wrong.

There is absolutely no right or wrong way to lead your life as per our scriptures. On one hand these scriptures tell you how to lead a good and sathvic life on the other you can find how even devas ate meat.

So the concept is simple. Its the law of Karma. Everything you do will have a reaction.Good or bad depends on what you do.

Now there is plenty of times this question is asked that how is it ok to eat plants, even they have life. Yes they have life and yes its not ok to eat them either. But you have to eat to survive, so the concept is to eat something thats low on conciousness even if its living, so to decrease the -ve points you get for this karma.

-ve you will get for eating a living thing.

But you could do all the better things in life to gain a +ve point to, so to have a net balance in +ve.

Its also said, as per bhagwat Gita, that God accepts the offering of fruits, leaves, Water ( I think, I am bit rusty on details now as its been long). So it is said that if you offer what god accepts before consuming it and then -ve points out of this karma goes away as its been cleansed and blessed by god.

And what marvelous said is very true too.

Now this is my understanding and I am no guru.
Old November 13th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh to spirituality nahi... accounting ho gaya

Problem is, there is no god. So, what now?

I have figured out a simple philosophy... those that cannot get up and run, you eat. Trees/plants have not evolved enough to experience pain... if they had, they would have evolved enough to run away from their spot... like most other living beings.

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Senior eCharchan

JustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeJustaGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
Neither are you an authority of his existence nor am I. Both of us have our beleif based on our experiences and thinking. You beleive in what you see and what science can prove. I beleive in my faith.

You beleive faith is overrated and I beleieve its underrated. so two very different stream of thoughts.

I do not beleive I am going to convince you to change your thinking and neither do I beleive that you will be able to change mine.

Peace.

Poori zindagi ek accouting hi hai. Everything you do in life is give and take in most of the circumstances and/or feeling, so how can this be any different.
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
What is GOD?
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai View Post
What is GOD?
Abey gonchu... why do you want to ask about something that is nothing

Old November 13th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Clown Prince

@Sane pai

Explain somethingness of being nothing
If it is nothing then why did you call it god?

The truth is you know god(nothing) about nothing(god). And that makes you a godly ( a person who worths nothing) person. So deep inside(from both sides) you are a deeply pious person who believes that nothing can harm him as nothing protects him. So the thing is that if you are trying to get something out of nothing then you'd get nothing out of anything.