eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

Old December 28th, 2015, 09:11 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Once a garden city, now the mess that is Bangalore

Will Bangalore have to be evacuated by 2023?

Once called a garden city or air-conditioned city or pensioners paradise is now a huge mess. It's all over my FB .. some people's kids are spending more than 4-5 hours in school bus stuck in traffic.

Quote:
"The Government of Karnataka will have to evacuate half of Bangalore in the next ten years, due to water scarcity, contamination of water and diseases."

It is an ominous prophecy from V Balasubramanian, the former Additional Chief Secretary of Karnataka and Chairman, Centre for Policies and Practices, who conducted an elaborate study of the water woes of the state capital.

Bangaloreans would do well not to dismiss Balasubramanian's peep into the future as an exaggeration of a worried mind. It is corroborated by the lab results at the Public Health Institute, and the Department of Mines and Geology of the Karnataka government. The results reveal that 52 per cent of the borewell water, and 59 per cent of tap water in Bangalore, is not potable and contain 8.4 per cent and 19 per cent E.coli bacteria respectively.
LINK
Customers looking at Pune and Hyderabad as alternative to Bengaluru: Sushil Mantri

Quote:
Interview with Chairman, Mantri Group

How is the market?

There is opportunity in mid-budget segment homes - properties below Rs 1 crore. Then, there is enormous interest from non-resident Indians. This year was very good for office properties and Bengaluru has absorbed 14 million sq ft. We see similar demand next year. It is because there is huge job creation in Bengaluru. We’ll see a good amount of influx of people. Outsiders are coming for jobs and settling here.

Can the city handle such large migration?

It is high time the policy makers (in Karnataka) respect planning. The city is growing haphazardly because we have not had any planning. A good master plan should visualise for 30-40 years, in Hyderabad, when they did the 2005 master plan. There was a huge vision to build infrastructure. Bengaluru is still looking at 18-metre roads, whereas what is needed is 36-metre and 42-metre roads. In Hyderabad, there is no congestion because the roads are wider.

The 2015 city development plan (CDP) is still not out. It will take one or two years to implement. We are still building the city on the 2005 CDP, whereas it has grown thrice since then. In every city, the outskirts are better than the central business district (CBD). In Bengaluru, which is better? We have asked the government to include Credai (Confederation of Real Estate Developers’ Associations of India) members in preparing the plan.
Techies march in pothole protest

Quote:
That challenge was underlined this morning when thousands of techies hit the streets to highlight the state of the roads and demand better transport facilities to the showpiece cluster.

"I came to Bangalore two years ago thrilled, thinking I was heading to India's IT hub. But I don't think much about this place any more as public amenities are very poor and the roads very dangerous," said Kamal Bahety, who hails from Calcutta and works for a firm in Whitefield.

In his late twenties, Bahety was among the multitude of over 2,000 men and women who marched to the International Tech Park Ltd - the country's first technology park that started operations in 1998 - in Whitefield in Bangalore's first such protest against poor roads in recent memory. They were united under the hashtag #Save Whitefield.

Bahety, who like many in the crowd had taken time off work to join the march, explained his travails. "I take 40 minutes on my scooter to cover 2km during peak hours from home to office, that too after I shifted to Hoodi (a place closer to work) from Kundanahalli (4km away). I can't just quit and leave the city. I thought it is better to join the march for our rights."
LINK

Last edited by echarcha; January 2nd, 2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old December 28th, 2015, 09:11 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Once a garden city, now the mess that is Bangalore

Old December 28th, 2015, 10:32 PM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Once a garden city, now the mess that is Bangalore

Bellandur Lake has become internationally famous (rather infamous) too:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/gal...ia-in-pictures

Garden City is now a big joke..
Old December 29th, 2015, 05:54 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bengaluru is still looking at 18-metre roads, whereas what is needed is 36-metre and 42-metre roads.
Werent there many roads claiming to be 100 feet or 150 feet. I looked at the '100 feet road' in Indiranagar and guessed that it was the distance between the opposite houses on the road.

Hydeerabad has only slghtly better infra. many roads were widened during Babu's and NTR's time.

Quote:
I take 40 minutes on my scooter to cover 2km during peak hours from home to office
i used to live slightly over a km from office in Koramangala and used to walk many times. He could also try that (used to take me 30 minutes for a similar distance in dirty Pai's gaon)
Old December 29th, 2015, 09:23 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

The Infotech industry has pumped in a lot of forex in India, made a significant number of people rich, pushed prices of lot of stuff upwards, made luxuries affordable to many, resulted in rapid urbanisation etc. However, there is an inherent artificiality behind all this ( most of it is bcoz of external inflow of $$$). On top of it, there is hardly any planning behind the expansion. People don't realize that one can't eat or drink money. And politicians give a damn. Ram ji beda paar karengey sabka.
Old December 29th, 2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
i used to live slightly over a km from office in Koramangala and used to walk many times. He could also try that (used to take me 30 minutes for a similar distance in dirty Pai's gaon)
Prollem is 5 kms is taking minimum 1.5 hours and even 3.5 hours at times. People are quite fed up.

Last time I was in Koramangala was in 2006 and it took me more than 30 minutes to cross the road opposite BDA complex next to 4th B Block. Buggers don't care for red traffic light, so you can't cross the road unless you run for your life. With the chill-pon around you can't even hear yourself think.
Old December 29th, 2015, 10:29 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post

Last time I was in Koramangala was in 2006 and it took me more than 30 minutes to cross the road opposite BDA complex next to 4th B Block. Buggers don't care for red traffic light, so you can't cross the road unless you run for your life. With the chill-pon around you can't even hear yourself think.
In 2006, i was also ducking for my safety and to make sure the co laptop i had was OK when i got caught in a train in the mid of stone throwers after the death of Dr Rajkumar. Anyways, till 2003-4, you could easily walk or drive near that BDA complex.

Looks like things have become really bad now.
Old December 29th, 2015, 03:20 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

it was the recent rains that created the mess---yes , it was raining heavily in bangalore too when chennai was sinking .
Old December 30th, 2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSeeker View Post
The Infotech industry has pumped in a lot of forex in India, made a significant number of people rich, pushed prices of lot of stuff upwards, made luxuries affordable to many, resulted in rapid urbanisation etc.
true and thats a good thing

Quote:
However, there is an inherent artificiality behind all this ( most of it is bcoz of external inflow of $$$).
If dollaran flow in, what is wrong. Apna Desh still has current account deficit, etc. due to petroleum imports, etc. Thailand, Spain, etc. have lot of Forex inflows with tourism. (one long term aim of Swachh bharat Abhiyan is to get more toursits)

Quote:
On top of it, there is hardly any planning behind the expansion. People don't realize that one can't eat or drink money.
The plan was to have 1 million people in Bangalore. even in 94, there were lot of trees and the weather was beautiful. There is some planning, but the guys dont consider reality. like there will be lot of poor people coming in from villages who will be sleeping on foot paths and so on (probably, this is the reason why we see horrible sidewalks. Check this thread i started a while back)

Quote:
And politicians give a damn. Ram ji beda paar karengey sabka.
yes. the home to Sun Microsystems, SAP, etc. has some medieval level mayor. I also pointed out somewhere else that this country runs Bhagvan ke Bharose, Like it bcame an IT hub thanks to its good weather which the Firangs like (and Texas Instruments was the first to land up in 80s with VLSI design facilities)
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:49 AM

Main issue is most Indians don't think big nor do they think far. Most Indian people are not dedicated to their work, only care about getting through the day. This attitude reflects in every walk of life.. there is very less ownership and pride in work, and the ones that do work rile up other non-performers who just want to bring them down. The whole gyan of Vivekananda and Bhagwada Geeta on 'Karma Yoga' is wasted on us Indians.

Whats the use of the "famous" IAS interviews and exams, if they just become paltu kutta of shithead politicians like Gandhis, Lalu, Kejri, Mulayam, Karunanidhi, etc.

Because of all this and the mother of all woes.. CORRUPTION, nothing every gets done that will last 2-3 years.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 11:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

Dovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud ofDovahkiin has much to be proud of

Never been to Bangalore, so unable to comment on thread topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Main issue is most Indians don't think big nor do they think far. Most Indian people are not dedicated to their work, only care about getting through the day. This attitude reflects in every walk of life.. there is very less ownership and pride in work, and the ones that do work rile up other non-performers who just want to bring them down. The whole gyan of Vivekananda and Bhagwada Geeta on 'Karma Yoga' is wasted on us Indians.

Whats the use of the "famous" IAS interviews and exams, if they just become paltu kutta of shithead politicians like Gandhis, Lalu, Kejri, Mulayam, Karunanidhi, etc.

Because of all this and the mother of all woes.. CORRUPTION, nothing every gets done that will last 2-3 years.
Agree to some points especially non performers pulling performers down. I won't go far, I am a lazy guy so I chose non clinical department But I understand need to hour. When Swine flu were rampant in western Rajasthan, I step up and coordinated everything, I managed flow of information from Medical college to directorate, Joint director, Chief Medical and Health Officers of 7 district, I maintained uninterrupted flow of information, I knew where survey needed to be done. I briefed media and maintained cardinal relation with Print as well as TV media, They also liked my efforts (ETV regional head sent me an e-mail praising my efforts to highest level) and cooperated. (I remember back in 2012 outbreak once 12 positive came on single day and media made big headlines, This season more than 100 cases came positive in single day But they printed everything nicely). I used to attend more than 200 calls daily between 7 PM-12 midnight while preparing report and typing it all by myself on my personal computer/internet connection (As my request to open Swine flu control room and providing logistics were denied repeatedly) Principal is so ignorant and high headed he said 'Blood test for swine flu' in press conference. I was the one who used to answer Assembly questions (they once sent name of a survivor among deceased, even hospital records were wrong, I was the only one who was sure that person hasn't died)

My department's seniors Professors, Associated professor became jealous, they started irritating me. My lumbar pain also worsen, So I took 3 days medical leave. The work which I alone was taking care of perfectly, they needed to call 10 guys in just to do that and yet they can't achieve my perfection.

You know what I achieved in return ? As soon as swine flu was over my jealous seniors along with Evil principal started creating various problems for me Just because they came to know none of them are in my league. People on higher posts than Principal turned blind eye toward my complaints. Why I did that ? For people, For government. Who Government supported ? Incompetent Principal and People of my department. They asked me to send my grievance THROUGH PRINCIPAL, WTF ? My grievance was about Principal and my department.

Now who would like to work nicely ? At-least I won't. Incompetent people are getting ahead by doing buttering i.e Principal, people of my department and competent people are being prosecuted for not being 'Yes Man'.

I am a non political guy, I believe in respecting government as they are elected by public. Government gave more preference to incompetent people when one of them (A Muslim Associate Professor) is open critic of present regime and PM himself. If government can't do justice to someone who for no personal gain stood up for them and people, How good they are ? If I hadn't stand up for the task, none of them could have done it, and I received only problems for doing it nicely. You can't even blame congress here.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 03:15 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

ROTFLMAO on the second picture in SS's post.

Saalo ab tak kahaan the?
Kitni baar vote dene gay? Pencho vote daalte nahi aur sab Sarkar se expect karte hai. Tax nahi bharte, corruption badhate ho aur next election kaa wait karte ho?
Old January 2nd, 2016, 11:38 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Once a garden city, now the mess that is Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmthaLal View Post
ROTFLMAO on the second picture in SS's post.

Saalo ab tak kahaan the?
Kitni baar vote dene gay? Pencho vote daalte nahi aur sab Sarkar se expect karte hai. Tax nahi bharte, corruption badhate ho aur next election kaa wait karte ho?

You need visionaries and not just heads of 'services computer coolie' companies to have any planning of the city, area, etc.

After being here in India for 4 plus years, I know that our so called IT industry is only a services industry for sure and the few startups here are trying to break the mould, but its a long way to go. Anyway, more on that later .... in some other thread.

Most of the employees of IT companies in Bangalore are not from there and hence dont have voting rights there. Many might have changed their addresses and gotten voting cards etc, but the percentage must be quite small.

And why are people waking up now to this disaster? We Indians are never good at planning anything, never good at being visionaries, never good at maintaining anything if we manage to build anything good at all.

Anyway, in Mumbai one thing is good - there is no room for expansion. So the fucked conditions which are prevalent in Mumbai since so many years, remain the same and within the same pockets.... This is an achievement of sorts. Imagine that garbage chokes the drainage every year during monsoons at only 5 major locations bringing Mumbai to its knees. Now dont you think that BMC and the ruling Shiv Sena are tremendous experts and dedicated to ensure that only these 5 locations remain fucked?

I am happy that I live in Mumbai - which I am used to - and it cannot get fuked more like Delhi or Bangalore.
Old January 4th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Banned

werewolf2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
You need visionaries and not just heads of 'services computer coolie' companies to have any planning of the city, area, etc.

After being here in India for 4 plus years, I know that our so called IT industry is only a services industry for sure and the few startups here are trying to break the mould, but its a long way to go. Anyway, more on that later .... in some other thread.

Most of the employees of IT companies in Bangalore are not from there and hence dont have voting rights there. Many might have changed their addresses and gotten voting cards etc, but the percentage must be quite small.

And why are people waking up now to this disaster? We Indians are never good at planning anything, never good at being visionaries, never good at maintaining anything if we manage to build anything good at all.

Anyway, in Mumbai one thing is good - there is no room for expansion. So the fucked conditions which are prevalent in Mumbai since so many years, remain the same and within the same pockets.... This is an achievement of sorts. Imagine that garbage chokes the drainage every year during monsoons at only 5 major locations bringing Mumbai to its knees. Now dont you think that BMC and the ruling Shiv Sena are tremendous experts and dedicated to ensure that only these 5 locations remain fucked?

I am happy that I live in Mumbai - which I am used to - and it cannot get fuked more like Delhi or Bangalore.
I thought you live in US.
Old January 4th, 2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf2 View Post
I thought you live in US.
make it lived.. as he says "After being here in India for 4 plus years"