eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

Old February 17th, 2007, 10:40 AM
We change, values don't

2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute
Andhra's Seema Mirapakay breaks Guinness Records!

India's Seema Mirapakaya (Bhut Jolokia) breaks Guiness Book of World Records

Ghost' chilli from India is world’s hottest
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States

India's Bhut Jolokia chilli has been confirmed as the world's hottest pepper by Guinness World Records, a United States researcher said.

Bhut Jolokia comes in at 1 001 304 Scoville heat units, a measure of hotness for a chilli. It is nearly twice as hot as Red Savina, the variety it replaces as the hottest. By comparison, an average jalapeno measures at about 10 000.

Paul Bosland, a regents professor at New Mexico State University, recalls taking a bite of the chilli and feeling like he was breathing fire. He gulped down a soda, thinking, "That chilli has got to be some kind of record."

Guinness agreed, confirming recently that Bosland had discovered the world's hottest chilli.

The Bhut Jolokia is a naturally occurring hybrid native to the Assam region of north-eastern India. A member of the university's Chille Pepper Institute who was visiting India sent Bhut Jolokia seeds back to New Mexico for testing in 2001. The plant does not produce fruit easily, so it took a some years to get enough for
field testing, Bosland said.

He then grew Bhut Jolokia, Red Savina and habanero peppers under controlled settings and found that Bhut Jolokia had significantly higher Scoville ratings. Those findings were confirmed by two independent laboratories.

The Bhut Jolokia variety has potential as a food additive in the packaged food industry, Bosland said. It could be pickled while green, dehydrated and used as seasoning. Because the heat is so concentrated, food manufacturers would save money because they would use less.

The pepper's name translates as ghost chili, Bosland said.

"We're not sure why they call it that, but I think it's because the chilli is so hot, you give up the ghost when you eat it," he said. - Sapa-AP

Source

It is the right most one in the picture below, the other two being "Orange Habareno" and "Red Savina", the contenders for Guiness Book spot which our beloved Seema Mirapakaya aka Bhut Jolokia bet by twice the margins!

Source
Old February 17th, 2007, 10:56 AM
We change, values don't

2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Andhra's Seema Mirapakay breaks Guinness Records!

Bih Jolokia on a Frontal Agritech field in Assam

Blossoms, flowers and tiny
fruit on a Naga Morich Plant.

Dried Bih Jolokia Pod. In this form, it may have up to one million Scoville Heat Units.

Why Breed such an Ultra-Hot Chile?

I was foolish enough to taste a dried Jolokia pod -- right after sensing a somewhat sweet, fruity flavor, it burns like hell. If the Jolokia's bite is so painful, why did humans create this cultivar? The answer might be that some of the first reports about this pepper were published by the Defense Research Laboratory of India, located in the Assamese garrison town of Tezpur. Obviously this pepper isn't just meant to kick up a fish curry. In the past, capsicum oleroresin, the chile extract used to make ultra hot sauce and pepper sprays, was often produced from cayenne pods. While only in the five-digit SHU range, cayenne is not as picky about growing conditions as chinense peppers like the Naga Jolokia. There's a much wider area to grow cayenne, so from an economical standpoint, it makes sense to use cayenne. But with Jolokia being so much higher in capsacin content, it is no wonder that those interested in spraying the burn are also evaluating the Assamese power pod.
According to Frontal Agritech though, the Jolokia pepper has a long tradition in India, especially in Assam, Nagaland and Manipur. Literature describes its use in traditional medicine for curing all sorts of ailments. This chile is also commonly used there for making pickles and adding heat to non-vegetarian food items and dishes.
With capsaicin content so much higher than in Mexican or Caribbean chiles, I also asked Leena if there were possibly GMO (genetically modified organism) techniques involved in gaining these levels. Leena replied that the existing heat level in Bih Jolokia is inherent, solely maintained by selection at the company's farms. What they're doing is purely natural, not by use of any GMOs. In fact, Frontal Agritech's slogan "Redesigning Agriculture" doesn't refer to any high-tech approach, but to organizing farms in their area and teaching their owners traditional farming, using organic techniques wherever possible.
Heat isn't Everything...

OK, so Bih/Bhut/Naga Jolokia is the new champion in the world of heat. But heat isn't everything. The Assamese growers at Frontal Agritech may be right when pointing out that besides this chile's genes, the unique soil and climatic conditions of their Northeast-Indian regions contribute its properties, which also includes its flavor. Such environmental influences are best known for wine. For example, the Nero d'Avola grape grows fine in Sicily as well as on Italian mainland - but just growing it in Calabria (southern tip of the boot) results in a different aroma -- red wine from this grape is superior when coming from Sicily. Some grape varieties only develop their full potential in Napa Valley, CA, or somewhere else in the world. And in fact, even some chile pepper varieties are tied to geographical regions. If you've ever tasted roasted green New Mexican chiles grown in Southern New Mexico, and for comparison the same chile from your backyard, also roasted over propane, you know what I mean. Europe also has some peppers that thrive best in their original microclimates -- see our reports about Piment d'Espelette in the Basque district France, or Peperoni de Senise in the Basilicata region of Italy.
And while Red Savina quite possibly won't be "The World' Hottest" in the future, it will continue to be a blistering-hot pepper that fiery-foods manufacturers turn into great tasting hot sauce and salsa.

Links, Sources

SuperSite Pepper
Profile: Naga Jolokia

More Inormation about Jolokia Chile Pepper Institute (USA)
Seeds
Pepperworld (Germany)
Seeds (original CPI), Pods (original Assam)
(shipped within the EU only); Naga Report in German language
Dorset Naga (UK)
Pods, Seeds (announced for early 2007) Pods, Seeds Frontal Agritech (India)
Pods, Powder Pods, Seeds Naga Jolokia discussion in Italian Language
Previous
Jolokia-related Articles

First appearance of the hot Indian chile on the SuperSite (2000) Brief Update (2000) First evidence for Jolokia being a C. chinense
(2003, with a 2004 Update)
Also of Interest

Interesting HPLC Insights from an Aussie Student
Old February 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute

The report says that the pepper is from Assam? Why did you title the thread as Andhra's Pepper? Am I missing something??
Old February 17th, 2007, 11:00 AM
We change, values don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28virgo
The report says that the pepper is from Assam? Why did you title the thread as Andhra's Pepper? Am I missing something??
Because I know this chilly very well, I have been seeing it since I was born! It is a chilly if a pinch of its powder mixed in your food, you are sure to upset your stomach for a week, not to speak of the pain it causes when put on tongue.

In Andhra Pradesh people call this chilly as Seema Mirapakaya and add this chillies powder in measured quantities in Appadams, I mean a little pint for the whole dough, just to add heat, other than that people (yes Andhra people!) hardly ever try to use it in regular cuisine. Even if they do, they must be doing it in meausre quantity, this is indeed a very bad chilly.
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Senior eCharchan

HarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant future

I think this thread belongs in Laal Mirchi forum!!
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Spear Barbarian

GunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud of

Why not title it Bhut Jolokia then? For one thing, you don't know for sure if this Seema Mirapakay is the same thing. You don't think that Assamese come to this forum??

Proud LLKC member since May 2002.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir 1950

Old February 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM
We change, values don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsNRoses
Why not title it Bhut Jolokia then? For one thing, you don't know for sure if this Seema Mirapakay is the same thing. You don't think that Assamese come to this forum??
What will Assamese do probably? How do they know it is not Seema Mirapakaya as known in AP?

Dude, as I said, I have seen this variety before, it is small pellet sized with fully shrivelled pod. It will never grow beyond that size, you cannot find any other chile of that sort
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Spear Barbarian

GunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud of

Because it wasn't the Assamese/Manipuris/Nagas that made this claim. It was an Army funded research group and they were investigating all sorts of spicy peppers from India, not just the Bhut Jolokia. Besides, this has been investigated by two other outside agencies, who also have extensive records of different species around the world. The research also said that it was the climate and soil in those areas that made this thing grow extra spicy. Last time I checked, it didn't rain so much in AP and there weren't as many hills there either. Not too much grows in AP, aside from Oracle admins

Why don't you send these agencies a sample of your Seema Mirapakay and see if it is the same species.

Proud LLKC member since May 2002.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir 1950

Old February 19th, 2007, 08:53 AM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Andhra's Seema Mirapakay breaks Guinness Records!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gud
Because I know this chilly very well, I have been seeing it since I was born! It is a chilly if a pinch of its powder mixed in your food, you are sure to upset your stomach for a week, not to speak of the pain it causes when put on tongue.

In Andhra Pradesh people call this chilly as Seema Mirapakaya and add this chillies powder in measured quantities in Appadams, I mean a little pint for the whole dough, just to add heat, other than that people (yes Andhra people!) hardly ever try to use it in regular cuisine. Even if they do, they must be doing it in meausre quantity, this is indeed a very bad chilly.
Yeah Yeah…

Andhra folks have this penchant for the spiciest of foods. I recollect my engineering days in Bangalore, visiting a Telugu classmate’s home for lunch often.

Having the Gongura chutney itself used to make my eyes water & sweat buckets. I wouldn’t dare try any of the above chillies.

P.S: I love Andhra food. Amravathi restaurant in Bangalore near MGs was my favourite.
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:55 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Would love a chilly bajji made out of these (maybe being a bit too daring!!).

BTW, somehow i get this feeling there are more Andhra Restaurants in Bangalore than in Hyderabad. Quite a few of the cheap Andhra Joints serve Daru also.
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:02 PM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Andhra's Seema Mirapakay breaks Guinness Records!

This is an interesting read.

How the heat level in chile peppers is quantified using the Scoville heat units & its origins.

Quote:

Just How HOT Are My Chiles?

In 1912 a chemists by the name of Wilbur Scoville, working for the Parke-Davis pharmaceutical company, developed a method to measure the heat level of chile peppers. The test is named after him, the "Scoville Organoleptic Test". It is a subjective dilution-taste procedure. In the original test, Wilbur blended pure ground Chiles with sugar-water and a panel of "testers" then sipped the solution, in increasingly diluted concentrations, until they reached the point that the liquid no longer burned their mouths. A number was then assigned to each chile pepper based on how much it needed to be diluted before they could no longer taste (feel) the heat.

The pungency (or heat factor) of chile peppers is measured in multiples of 100 units. The sweet bell peppers at zero Scoville units to the mighty Habanero at 300,000 plus Scoville units! One part of chile "heat" per 1,000,000 drops of water is rated at only 1.5 Scoville Units. The substance that makes a chile so hot is called Capsaicin. Pure Capsaicin rates between 15,000,000 and 16,000,000 Scoville Units! Today a more scientific and accurate method called liquid chromatography is used to determine capsaicin levels. In honor of Dr. Wilbur the unit of measure is still named Scoville.

Below is a list of Chile peppers and their Scoville Heat Units. Due to variations in growing conditions, soil and weather, peppers tend to vary between the lower and upper levels listed, but can go beyond them.

Scoville Units

Chile Pepper Heat Range
Sweet Bell: 0
Pimento: 0
Cherry: 00 ~ 500
Pepperoncini: 100 ~ 500
El-Paso: 500 ~ 700
Santa Fe Grande: 500 ~ 750
Coronado: 700 ~ 1,000
Espanola: 1,000 ~ 2,000
Poblano: 1,000 ~ 2,000
Ancho: 1,000 ~ 2,000
Mulato: 1,000 ~ 2,000
Pasilla: 1,000 ~ 2,000
Anaheim: 500 ~ 2,500
Sandia: 500 ~ 2,500
NuMex Big Jim: 500 ~ 2,500
Rocotillo: 1,500 ~ 2,500
Pulla: 700 ~ 3,000
Mirasol: 2,500 ~ 5,000
Guajillo: 2,500 ~ 5,000
Jalapeno: 2,500 ~ 8,000
Chipolte: 5,000 ~ 8,000
Hot Wax: 5,000 ~ 10,000
Puya: 5,000 ~ 10,000
Hidalgo: 6,000 ~ 17,000
Serrano: 8,000 ~ 22,000
Manzano: 12,000 ~ 30,000
Shipkas: 12,000 ~ 30,000
De Arbol: 15,000 ~ 30,000
Jaloro: 30,000 ~ 50,000
Aji: 30,000 ~ 50,000
Tabasco: 30,000 ~ 50,000
Cayenne: 30,000 ~ 50,000
Santaka: 40,000 ~ 50,000
Super Chile: 40,000 ~ 50,000
Piquin: 40,000 ~ 58,000
Yatsafusa: 50,000 ~ 75,000
Haimen: 70,000 ~ 80,000
Chiltecpin: 60,000 ~ 85,000
Thai: 50,000 ~ 100,000
Tabiche: 85,000 ~ 115,000
Bahamian: 95,000 ~ 110,000
Carolina Cayenne: 100,000 ~ 125,000
Kumataka: 125,000 ~ 150,000
Jamaican Hot: 100,000 ~ 200,000
Birds Eye: 100,000 ~ 225,000
Tepin (Wild): 80,000 ~ 240,000
Devil Toung: 125,000 ~ 325,000
Fatalii: 125,000 ~ 325,000
Orange Habanero: 150,000 ~ 325,000
Scotch Bonnet: 150,000 ~ 325,000
Choclate Habanero: 200,000 ~ 385,000
Red Savina Habanero: 350,000 ~ 577,000
Pure Capsaicin: 15-16,000,000

Old February 21st, 2007, 12:14 AM
eCharchan

King has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond reputeKing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooldude
Yeah Yeah…

Andhra folks have this penchant for the spiciest of foods. I recollect my engineering days in Bangalore, visiting a Telugu classmate’s home for lunch often.

Having the Gongura chutney itself used to make my eyes water & sweat buckets. I wouldn’t dare try any of the above chillies.

P.S: I love Andhra food. Amravathi restaurant in Bangalore near MGs was my favourite.
Oh Man!!! Lunch at Amaravathi or Nagarjun ---- drool....
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:12 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by King
There was this Andhra restaurant called R.R. Plantain where food was served on banana/plantain leaf. The chicken was so hot yet delicious that next morning it was fireworks in the toilet!!
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:03 AM
eCharchan

Smile Re: Andhra's Seema Mirapakay breaks Guinness Records!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars
BTW, somehow i get this feeling there are more Andhra Restaurants in Bangalore than in Hyderabad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King
Yes Sir. The next time you visit Bangalore, you could satisfy your taste buds with this list too:

http://www.discoverbangalore.com/Pub5.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
There was this Andhra restaurant called R.R. Plantain where food was served on banana/plantain leaf. The chicken was so hot yet delicious that next morning it was fireworks in the toilet!!
Yep Cha Pai, this one’s in Church street adjoining Brigade road. Excellent food. But you got to wait long for your turn during the weekends.
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:48 AM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of

Habanero se yaad aaya, phirse galti ho gayi yaaron.

Last night, I fried up a small chopped onion, added one chopped green chilli.

Then I cut one boneless breast of chicken into one inch cubes and fried it nicely. Added one tomato and red pepper(capsicum), 3 small packets of soya sauce (from chinese takeaway), 1 packet of hot sauce. So far so good.

Added salt and then finally cooked rice ( I had cooked one big cup of rice in microwave). Mixed it all together, and tasted it; didn't taste hot enough for my tongue. I looked around in the kitchen and found this bottle of Habanero chilli sauce (It was in a box of 6 different variety chilli sauces that I got as a christmas gift). Now I have used quite a few chilli sauces which said on the bottle "hot", "very hot", "red hot" and none of them have really bothered me. I have comfortably used half bottle or whole bottles of these in my dishes (not exaggerating). So, I added half bottle of this habanero chilli sauce to the fried rice. I love cold water with my food. I took a plate full of rice, sat down on the couch to eat watching TV and one spoonful of the rice made me jump. Damn it, it was too hot. I thought, it might be coz it was the first bite. Second spoonful, still too hot; I couldn't proceed any further.

Back to the kitchen to doctor the rice. I added oil and 5 eggs to the pan, scrambled them nicely and added some salt to it. Added the rice again to this. It tasted a little better, but still hot. Well, I ate about a quarter of what I would have eaten in a regular sitting. I have already been to the restroom 3 times since morning. Its lunch time and I am eating eggplant parmesan and I am so glad I got buttermilk in the fridge at work that I brought in this monday.

Tonight I will add a packet of mixed vegetables and some more rice to this fried rice and see if it helps.

This habanero chilli in any form sux; I am staying away from anything that even pronounces like habanero.

Btw, I have seen one small white chilli in AP which is very hot. I don't know the name, but my uncle told me it was a hybrid variety and that one chilli is usually enough for one dish.