eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old October 10th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any dog owners here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I dont think providing shelter to all the dogs is a realistic option. Think about it, you dont want to neuter/spay them, which means, you are looking at a BIG dog population. Who is going to pay for their food? Tax payers.
You cant really leave the dogs out in the wild as well, considering the weather and all. A realistic option is to own them as pets and let the pet-owners do what they do ...no??
I cant decide how to post a response to this except to realise you are posting from the point of view of doing something good for dog population of the world. If so then why not cats and donkeys and pigs and so on...

I thought it was more about someone's desire of having a pet than the thought about the dogs - that to me goes against keeping pets. if you think about pets themselves, they would probably prefer to be in the wild than as pets.....
Old October 10th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Read my post again. I am talking about 'Kids after they grow up'. Even grown up dogs face a lot of restrictions in US (or west in general).

I have the same feelings about birds. Why leave them in cages?
sgars, the grown up dogs also need to be on the lease. At the end of the day, its still a dog, it may take off after seeing something else. Worse, it may attack (upon provocation). I am not sure about birds; I havent looked or thought into why we cage them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
I cant decide how to post a response to this except to realise you are posting from the point of view of doing something good for dog population of the world. If so then why not cats and donkeys and pigs and so on...

I thought it was more about someone's desire of having a pet than the thought about the dogs - that to me goes against keeping pets. if you think about pets themselves, they would probably prefer to be in the wild than as pets.....
K4, is it not possible to have a desire to have a pet and at the same time have a concern about the dog population?

Climatic conditions here is not suitable for the dog population to live in the wild through out the year.

So from what I understand, K4 and Sgars are against having a pet. Am I correct?
Old October 10th, 2018, 01:34 PM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
sgars, the grown up dogs also need to be on the lease. At the end of the day, its still a dog, it may take off after seeing something else. Worse, it may attack (upon provocation). I am not sure about birds; I havent looked or thought into why we cage them...

K4, is it not possible to have a desire to have a pet and at the same time have a concern about the dog population?

Climatic conditions here is not suitable for the dog population to live in the wild through out the year.

It is possible to have a desire to have a pet and have concern about dog population, ofcourse. Getting a pet ends up being a decision based on many factors - desires of family and kids included.

I am not against having a pet (fishes are the best ;-) ). What I am against is considering the pet equal to a human member of family but at the same time getting them changed so they 'behave', not realising that there is a differnce between animals and humans and expecting everyone to do the same!
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:01 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not in my case. I would love having a pet, but there are too many liabilities on having a dog which has freedom. Perhaps i could have a dog when i am in India. If it bites someone, they will quarrel. in Umrika, they will sue you.
I used to play with the dog we had when i was an adolescent. We used to let it go and play, but it came back in the evening. Things became tough when it started hunting pigs and got some dead pigs home.
If i have a lot of space, i could have a dog couple who are sterilized.
Quote:
I am not against having a pet (fishes are the best ;-) ).
It is fun to watch fishes, but i get the same feeling of 'why keep them boxed in a small tank' They should have a lake or an ocean to play in.

There is also a legend among gults about Bhakta Ramdas spending 12 years in prison since he put a parrot in cage for 12 days
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:30 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Is it fishes or fish
Old October 10th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Not in my case. I would love having a pet, but there are too many liabilities on having a dog which has freedom. Perhaps i could have a dog when i am in India. If it bites someone, they will quarrel. in Umrika, they will sue you.
I used to play with the dog we had when i was an adolescent. We used to let it go and play, but it came back in the evening. Things became tough when it started hunting pigs and got some dead pigs home.
If i have a lot of space, i could have a dog couple who are sterilized.

It is fun to watch fishes, but i get the same feeling of 'why keep them boxed in a small tank' They should have a lake or an ocean to play in.

There is also a legend among gults about Bhakta Ramdas spending 12 years in prison since he put a parrot in cage for 12 days
Maybe he made it up to put it as an accomplishment on his resume

Sent from my iPhone.
Old October 12th, 2018, 02:08 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
^^ Is it fishes or fish
its supposed to be fish, but now-a-days fishes is also becoming acceptable - typical where conversation is about different species like you might have in a fish tank at home.
Old October 12th, 2018, 04:50 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am not against having a pet (fishes are the best ;-) ). What I am against is considering the pet equal to a human member of family but at the same time getting them changed so they 'behave', not realising that there is a differnce between animals and humans and expecting everyone to do the same!
And I agree with you; perhaps we cannot equate kids and pets; Would it make you feel better/ acceptable if I said, "to the best of the ability to treat it as a member of the family?" Meaning, give it food, shelter, love, security.
For example, my pup is a rescue pup; living with meth heads, crated all day everyday with a brief pee break as and when the couple sober up. Is that a good life for a dog? I think it has better chances with me. see what i mean? While i agree that I cannot expect the dogs to behave like humans (I ouldnt want it either), it is not too much to expect/ train them not to bark at every thing they see (mine was, even at the light).

Yes, perhaps animals are best left in the wild; though practically speaking it isnt always possible. My pup, I think it wont last a few hours out in the wild/ Northern Canada.

Last edited by Aashika; October 12th, 2018 at 04:53 AM.
Old October 12th, 2018, 05:19 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, perhaps animals are best left in the wild; though practically speaking it isnt always possible. My pup, I think it wont last a few hours out in the wild/ Northern Canada.
Isn't that why they don't have those dogs in Canada? Because it's not supposed to live indoors.
Old October 12th, 2018, 05:55 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Isn't that why they don't have those dogs in Canada? Because it's not supposed to live indoors.
what are you talking about?
Old October 12th, 2018, 09:22 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
^^ Is it fishes or fish

Multiple species then fishes... same species then fish. And having a fish-tank is not the easiest thing. There is a lot of regular work. And if you do not do that then the fish-tank gets messy. Then one fine day you try to re-haul all the water in the tank. And when you do that, the fish start dying every day. And then pretty much you are left with one fish... and now you are stuck with it for years. Happens to me all the time

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless