eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > Crowning Glory

Notices

Crowning Glory A home for our best content ... award winning created by eCharchans!!

View Poll Results: Should we replace Gandhiji on Currency notes with some other symbol?
1. No need to change, currency is a national symbol like the tricolor 4 25.00%
2. Yes, keep changing the image to make counterfeiting difficult. 7 43.75%
3. Yes, I want to see my favorite stars /congressis on the notes 2 12.50%
4. No. It will cheapen the currency (as with the Padma awards / Bharat Ratna) 2 12.50%
5. Any other (plz explain) 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 5th, 2010, 01:14 AM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing Gandhiji on Currency Notes... Yes/No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
How's it a good thing?
It happens but seldom. 5 views for each post is excellent. Members didn't read and leave ... they were compelled to post ... you made them.

RRbhai ... be gracious ... accept the compliments.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old November 5th, 2010, 01:17 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi View Post
RRbhai ... be gracious ... accept the compliments.
gotit ..

I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old November 5th, 2010, 02:27 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A lot of people have voted for "keep changing the image t make counterfeiting difficult". I am not sure that changing the image often will help prevent counterfeiting, since the notes carrying the earlier image / Bapu are still valid. Some time ago there was a proposal to replace all the currency notes of Rs. 100 and above. This would have meant cleaning up the counterfeits in one go. But the project was too expensive to implement. Then there was a proposal to stop Rs. 500 & Rs. 1000 notes (as was done with Rs. 1000 notes once).. This was a good idea, but I don't know why it didn't come through.

But counterfeiting is a separate topic and very difficult to control. As to replacing the Gandhi on currency - Currency is a national emblem like the Ashoka Lions, Tricolor, Jana Gana Mana etc.. and is our "pehchan" .. so should not be changed.

How's it a good thing?
thats exactly what i said in my earlier post but u posted a counter argument
and if u knew it, why that option in the poll in the 1st place

add=>almost every country must be facing the problem of counterfieting at some level. but has the call back of all existing currency happened anywhere even once. i doubt. thats plenty to prove that its not as simple as it seems even if the whole state is up for it...

Last edited by PeaceSeeker; November 5th, 2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old November 5th, 2010, 02:45 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSeeker View Post
thats exactly what i said in my earlier post but u posted a counter argument
Ok.. let's rewind :

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSeeker View Post
LOL.....
the second option suggests to keep changing the pic and keep making the existing currency INVALID. how is this possible
Quote:
Not necessary.. notes of various pictures could coexist, like there could be a combination of image and serial numbers etc..
Not necessary is the keyword ... meaning some workarounds could be found.. but still it has loopholes.

Simble..to get the other people's view on it.

Next,
Quote:
A lot of people have voted for "keep changing the image t make counterfeiting difficult". I am not sure that changing the image often will help prevent counterfeiting, since the notes carrying the earlier image / Bapu are still valid. Some time ago there was a proposal to replace all the currency notes of Rs. 100 and above. This would have meant cleaning up the counterfeits in one go. But the project was too expensive to implement. Then there was a proposal to stop Rs. 500 & Rs. 1000 notes (as was done with Rs. 1000 notes once).. This was a good idea, but I don't know why it didn't come through.
That's my point about changing the image & counterfeiting... Either go the whole hog or nothing.

add=>almost every country must be facing the problem of counterfieting at some level. but has the call back of all existing currency happened anywhere even once. i doubt. thats plenty to prove that its not as simple as it seems even if the whole state is up for it...
Anyway, I stand by my vote that the image should not be changed because it is a national symbol. Once we start on the road to change the image, we would have a plethora of potential munnabhais wanting to get their image on the currency, and willing to pay for the change too.. That would cheapen the currency and make it controversial, as with the Padma awards.

PS: Your vote please, Peacekeeper.

Last edited by raniraja; November 5th, 2010 at 02:46 AM. Reason: added PS
Old November 5th, 2010, 03:07 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not necessary is the keyword ... meaning some workarounds could be found.. but still it has loopholes.

Simble..to get the other people's view on it.
again,missing the point. unless there is really possibly a workaround, the option should not be present. i doubt if counterfeiting will be dampened in any way by changing the image but without doing any change to the existing currency in circulation.

Quote:
PS: Your vote please, Peacekeeper.
i am not sure what should be my vote. thats why i did not vote.
probably no politicians needed on the notes. any neta who is a hero for someone is not a hero for someone else.
monuments, ashok stambh, mera bharat mahan slogans etc should be ok. may be some scientists who have excelled in their fields perhaps. or the lone olympic gold medal winneror an icon like sachin

add- voted for last option.

Last edited by PeaceSeeker; November 5th, 2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old November 5th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Junior eCharchan

Chandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond reputeChandni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratiksha View Post
Stop calling me a Medrasssi
Then what to call you? heheh.

I think they can try different faces, but considering how India works I wonder if they will make a ruckus in parliment over whose face should be allowed on the note and whose should not . Maybe there will be a Bharat bandh to protest . Indians can sometimes be very stupid .
Old November 6th, 2010, 09:23 PM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Any currency experts here? Has there ever been an incidence in history of a nation changing such image on their currency? I mean a nation which has not undergone a revolution or something..

Old November 8th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
but as per definition on EC....ghatis are also madrasi
aragorn bhai tame kab se ye sab manane lage? ye north south ka jhamela to unproven hai. centre kaha hai yahi to nahi pata.

btw by your logic you are a bhaiyya?
Old November 8th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Any currency experts here? Has there ever been an incidence in history of a nation changing such image on their currency? I mean a nation which has not undergone a revolution or something..
currencies with different faces on them are common almost everywhere.
I am interested in finding out what is on Euros.
in UK, Scotland and England print their own currencies. Chutiya sale kabhi kabhi scotland ka chhapa hua note england mein nahi lete.
even within England almost every note has a different face on it. Even on same denomination notes there are faces of different people.

Before replacing gandhi, my preference is to take 500 and 1000 rs notes out of circulation. That is more important for us that whose face should be on the note.
Old November 8th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Senior eCharchan

aragorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond reputearagorn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
aragorn bhai tame kab se ye sab manane lage? ye north south ka jhamela to unproven hai. centre kaha hai yahi to nahi pata.

btw by your logic you are a bhaiyya?
arey yaar mujhe bhaiya, madrasi, bong, gulti kuch bhi bol de.... chalega

bus pakistani/congressi/secular mat bolna
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:10 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Mixed results .. Actually I had hoped that someone would also vote for "It would cheapen the currency" option. I think it will, changing the picture on the currency.

So, those of who voted for no. 2 (keep changing it to make counterfeiting difficult), which image would like to see on the currency? which image on which denomination? Or do you think that image on all the denominations (Rs. 5 onwards to Rs. 1000) should be changed simultaneously?

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute

Paki's seem to be ahead of India on this subject

Quote:
Musharraf wanted his photograph on Pak currency notes
November 11th, 2010

Former president and military dictator Pervez Musharraf was keen to have his photograph on Pakistan's currency notes, a former prime minister has disclosed.

Former premier Mir Zafarullah Khan Jamali said that Musharraf wanted to replace Muhammad Ali Jinnah's photograph on currency notes with his own photograph.

Jamali told Hamid Mir in 'Capital Talk' of Geo News on Wednesday night that the change in the currency note didn't happen as he refused it.

He said he wasn't aware as to who advised Musharraf that currency notes carry his photograph.

Musharraf seized power in 1999. He stepped down in 2008 and left Pakistan. He now lives in London.

Responding to a question, Jamali said Musharraf was ready to hand over disgraced nuclear scientist A Q Khan to the US in 2004. An American plane had even arrived in Islamabad for taking Khan to the US, but Jamali said he blocked the move.

"I informed my cabinet that we cannot hand him (A.Q. Khan) over to the Americans," the News International quoted him as saying.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/inter...ency-notes-159
Old November 12th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Junior eCharchan

maya has a reputation beyond reputemaya has a reputation beyond reputemaya has a reputation beyond reputemaya has a reputation beyond reputemaya has a reputation beyond reputemaya has a reputation beyond reputemaya has a reputation beyond reputemaya has a reputation beyond reputemaya has a reputation beyond reputemaya has a reputation beyond reputemaya has a reputation beyond repute

I think u should not have clubed the Padma Awards/Bharat Ratna. Since Bharat Ratna is not given to everyone like others.
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:52 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by maya View Post
I think u should not have clubed the Padma Awards/Bharat Ratna. Since Bharat Ratna is not given to everyone like others.
Sigh.. You may be right about Bharat Ratna, but Padma awards have become quite controversial of late. Bharat Ratna acquired a bad taste when Rajiv Gandhi was awarded one in 1991, and to pacify the naysayers, Sardar Patel and Morarjibhai were also awarded the same..... years / decades after their death.

PS : List of Bharat Ratna Awardees :
Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (1954) C. Rajagopalachari (1954) C. V. Raman (1954) Bhagwan Das (1955) Mokshagundam Visvesvarayya (1955) Jawaharlal Nehru (1955) Govind Ballabh Pant (1957) Dhondo Keshav Karve (1958) Bidhan Chandra Roy (1961) Purushottam Das Tandon (1961) Dr. Rajendra Prasad (1962) Dr. Zakir Hussain (1963) Pandurang Vaman Kane (1963) Lal Bahadur Shastri (1966) Indira Gandhi (1971) V. V. Giri (1975) K. Kamaraj (1976) Mother Teresa (1980) Acharya Vinoba Bhave (1983) Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan (1987) M. G. Ramachandran (1988) B. R. Ambedkar (1990) Nelson Mandela (1990) Rajiv Gandhi (1991) Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (1991) Morarji Desai (1991) Abul Kalam Azad (1992) J. R. D. Tata (1992) Satyajit Ray (1992) A. P. J. Abdul Kalam (1997) Gulzarilal Nanda (1997) Aruna Asaf Ali (1997) M. S. Subbulakshmi (1998) Chidambaram Subramaniam (1998) Jayaprakash Narayan (1998) Ravi Shankar (1999) Amartya Sen (1999) Gopinath Bordoloi (1999) Lata Mangeshkar (2001) Bismillah Khan (2001) Bhimsen Joshi (2008)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_are_th...t_Ratna_awards

Can we propose the Bharat Ratna Awardees' image on currency notes?

Old June 21st, 2012, 10:58 AM
Super eCharchan

swami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond reputeswami has a reputation beyond repute

So we have officials of RBI as members here on eCharcha and are planning to implement what we discussed here years ago

Giving the Mahatma company

The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) wants the Father of the Nation Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi to have company and break his monopoly over the Indian currency. Gandhiji has been on every denomination of notes printed since 1997. Before that, he was only on 500-rupee notes. The RBI's move to commemorate several more leaders and politicians by having them join the Father of the Nation, on currency notes, has seen them inviting suggestions from people from all walks of life. According to a news report, the government is recommending names like Dr BR Ambedkar, Chhatrapati Shivaji, Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi.

Before the Mahatma, the Ashoka Pillar used to be the most dominant feature on bank notes. RTI activist Manoranjan Roy tried to find out how and when the Mahatma became the mainstay of our currency but the RBI said that there was no document recording the change. The question to be asked is: Do we really need a face on our currency? So far, all the coins have the emblem of the Ashoka Pillar, which stands for peace and non-violence. This is featured in currency notes as well. Currently, the only personality gracing our currency notes is Mahatma Gandhi.

These are the symbols that an average Indian is able to identify with. The very idea of having a new face on our currency throws it open to misuse by the ruling party to glorify their leader(s) according to political requirements. Each party will have their own list of favourites. Do we really need glorification of personalities on our currency? If at all, the leaders who fought for our freedom deserve that glory. One section of people feel that we should do away with politicians and leaders altogether and go wth gods and goddesses. A sure-shot way of ending the debate between warring parties would be to have any of our several gods and goddesses on our currency. Or our national monuments like the Taj Mahal or Qutab Minar. India is home to several monuments, dance forms, religions, great scientists... why are we not considering them on our coins and notes?

IF IT HAS TO BE LEADERS, HERE ARE OUR SIX FAVOURITES...

Subhash Chandra Bose WHY? He led India's first organised and armed revolt against the British, called it the Indian National Army (INA) and gave the British their first real scare here.

Bal Gangadhar Tilak WHY? Called Lokmanya by an adoring public, he is considered the Father of the Indian National Movement.

Jawaharlal Nehru WHY? Was India's first Prime Minister, and remained in that position for 17 long years. Can rightly be called the architect of modern India.

Rabindranath Tagore WHY? India's first Nobel laureate, he won the 1913 Nobel Prize for Literature. He composed the text of India's national anthem.

Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel WHY? Also called the Iron Man of India, He played a leading role in the Indian freedom struggle and became the first Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister of India. He is credited with achieving political integration of India.

Annie Besant
Why: A British social reformer, campaigner for women's rights and a supporter of Indian nationalism.