eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old February 6th, 2019, 06:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Visiting Delhi...advise needed please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila View Post
Check out https://www.indiamike.com/india and see if you find answers to your questions there.

I don't know much about Delhi except for their free wi-fi, but just general, unsolicited tips:

1. don't carry too much cash, use NRE/NRO accounts and withdraw as needed
2. see if you have any credit cards that do not have Foreign Transaction Fees; not all CCs offer this feature, but many do. If you don't have one, it's worth getting a new card with this feature/benefit.
3. act like a desi when in crowd and avoid using English - though this may not apply to Delhi given that it's a big metro.
Thank you! yes.I dont plan on taking too much cash; probably will leave some at the apartment itself, some of them claim they have a safe. So, I guess its safe in the safe.
As such, I dont have a card that doesnt charge forex rate. I would be surprised if they dont get you one way or the other...I will look into this though, thank you.
Old February 6th, 2019, 06:59 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
you been to delhi before?

Aashika tai khel le rahi hai sabka...
i have been there from 8 AM till 9 PM....all interviews done in the hotel...
basically less than 24 hours, all did was get into the cab from the airport, to the hotel, back to airport....
Old February 6th, 2019, 08:38 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

the best thing to see in delhi is akshardham temple , which is absolutely fabulous . must see . others are birla temple , qutub minar ( though they don't allow you up for fear of you commiting suicide from top ) , bahai temple ( temple for all faiths ) , humayun tomb , red fort .
Old February 6th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
The whole family will be there; read 6 adults and 4 kids. ...
Quote:

I am not looking at hotels at this point; mostly a residential home so that we can all stay together (us, parents and parents-inlaws...though it sounds like a very bad idea but elders are insisting). ...
Something is not adding up... I am confused If I sum up the members as presented by you, the total comes to 8. But if I sum up the numbers as presented by you, the total comes to 10. Rumbha arike Enna matthera Unless... unless... I am confusing you for someone else... or... or... or you have been extremely busy

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old February 6th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The whole family will be there; read 6 adults and 4 kids. Likes like Maurya is ruled out as getting 4 rooms and paying for lunch/dinner etc will add up quickly in places like these.
I am thinking Air bnb. Any suggestions? Have you stayed in Delhi before? It will be a week long stay.
Since Delhi is my hometown, I have no clue abt the Air BnB scene but I am positive you will find really good/upscale properties in South Delhi (Defence Colony, South Extension, Kalkaji, Vasant Kunj etc.. All upscale areas. You can also look for properties in Gurgaon (although in Haryana but considered a Satellite city of Delhi) Ö This is a right time to visit since the weather is nice this time of the year.
Old February 6th, 2019, 11:02 AM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
You must, if you like Mughlai cuisine, visit Bukhara in ITC Maurya, if you haven't already that is. Lifetime best food experience it is.
Sikandari Raan @ Bukhara is to die for Also Machan @ Taj (Mansingh) has awesome cuisine and House of Ming (Chinese)
Old February 6th, 2019, 12:53 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
Something is not adding up... I am confused If I sum up the members as presented by you, the total comes to 8. But if I sum up the numbers as presented by you, the total comes to 10. Rumbha arike Enna matthera Unless... unless... I am confusing you for someone else... or... or... or you have been extremely busy
my nephew and niece are joining!
no twins here, if thats your question :P
Old February 6th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
I have been to Delhi many many years ago, two times. I can tell you things which are definitely relevant today also

1) Be careful of thugs like taxi drivers too. Better check the route and keep your phone maps on.
2) Do not flash cash everywhere. Keep minimal in wallet. Use credit cards where possible
3) From the airport get a taxi from the official booths inside the airport, get a receipt. Do not go out and try to get a taxi directly.

Remember, Delhi is full of thugs and con-men. No wonder they called it Dilli Ka Thug.

Delhi is full of 'showy flashy' people who talk big. Don't fall for it.

And yes, use Hindi.. Do not stand out like a sore thumb NRI with 'english' .. speak Hindi there.

And if possible get out of Delhi as soon as you are done with whatever you are going there for. There is nothing much to see in Delhi as its a cemetery - Shakti Sthal, Yeh Sthal, That Sthal .. where all past leaders have been enshrined.

And if you have seen Red Fort on tv, good. Its nothing awesome to see in person.

Delhi is polluted and air pollution can cause you serious breathing problems. So carry your regular medicines too.

Delhi is a shit place, full of thugs and flashy fake assholes.
Thanks you so much. This helps a lot, I will remember to take medication.
I understand what you are saying about Delhi. I just wanted to see our capital city and show it to the kids too.
Seems like a all of you agree to take little cash. I will keep that in mind. Thank you again!
Old February 6th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
^^ She and family will need to take a crash course in Hindi speaking

Cha pai is exaggerating a bit.. but in Delhi and all of North India you donít want to appear gullible or easy going.. be ready to shout and scold if needed. Be alert !
What makes you think I canít soeak Hindi?!
I can speak flawless Hindi!
Old February 6th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
^^
Years of staying in Canada might have made her conversant in Punjabi. that may work in Delhi.
Else, i would agree with Sutradharji. At least from my experience in 90s. i had to pay a bunch of guys 50rs near new delhi station. just to compensate them for the time they spent on unsuccessfully trying to get me into a shady hotel.
That station was a mafia place. My scooter had passed through 3 states before, but when it landed in delhi, it was without the clutch and clutch wire.

But if you are careful, it is better now. When we landed, a guy from Southern hotel came to pick us up and took us to the hotel. We were constantly calling and we avoided any guys soliciting to ride.

The auto and taxi drivers were mafia (The DLT taxis in 90s were good though- They worked out cheaper than autos many times). We managed to avoid those by going only with hotel transport and took metro to go to Dilli Haat. The travel guys took us to a fake Dilli Haat in the Delhi tour. Many who go are southies (mostly gults) and do not know the real Dilli Haat. Better half was thrilled when i took her to the real Dilli haat. While she was shopping, the boys and me had this
Oh dear! Mafia and all...itís not Mexico City I am going too. Delhi canít be that bad?!
I do love the cassata ice cream though. I will keep an eye out.
Old February 6th, 2019, 01:36 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
the best thing to see in delhi is akshardham temple , which is absolutely fabulous . must see . others are birla temple , qutub minar ( though they don't allow you up for fear of you commiting suicide from top ) , bahai temple ( temple for all faiths ) , humayun tomb , red fort .
Thank you. Somewhere down the line I am not too comfortable visiting the temples anymore. Maybe I will do one in the list! Thank you so much.
Old February 6th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28virgo View Post
Since Delhi is my hometown, I have no clue abt the Air BnB scene but I am positive you will find really good/upscale properties in South Delhi (Defence Colony, South Extension, Kalkaji, Vasant Kunj etc.. All upscale areas. You can also look for properties in Gurgaon (although in Haryana but considered a Satellite city of Delhi) Ö This is a right time to visit since the weather is nice this time of the year.
Thank you so much! I am visiting end of April. I wanted to see India Gate, Red fort and Chandni chouk
I am not sure what else to do. I am still looking at guides.
I do love local food in any given place. So I am also on the lookout for that.
Old February 6th, 2019, 02:01 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What makes you think I canít soeak Hindi?!
I can speak flawless Hindi!
And me Telugu .. yent ra?
Old February 6th, 2019, 03:24 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Taj mahal is boring compared to Jaipur.. after 2 hours and couple photo clicks there is nothing to do.. Agra has nothing else to see.. unless you are doing Fatehpur Sikri too.. which is an hours drive if i recall correctly from my childhood days.

Jaipur has many monuments and some royal hotels/palaces where you can have great food.

Btw, you could, if interested, visit Golden Temple. Shatabdi round trip should be a day’s trip. But your not into temples.

— edit my bad.. shatabdi delhi amritsar is 6-8 hrs one way.. so definitely not a day trip.

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; February 6th, 2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old February 6th, 2019, 04:27 PM

^^ You could go to Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary if visiting Agra.. another childhood memory.. only an hours drive. We met a national geographic camera team recording birds and pythons.

Family had a car trip covering 10-15 places of interest in a week in mid 90s.. lifetime memories

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; February 6th, 2019 at 04:36 PM.