eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old September 5th, 2018, 09:23 AM
Senior eCharchan

HarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant future
Re: Discrimination vs Bad Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
How do you tell these two apart? Is there a thumb rule. I don’t seem to get the hang of it. See below example, for the life of me, I don’t know what this is!
Example: we were returning from a vacation; I told my daughter to sit in the first row of the business class (thanks to our working perks) while I was arranging my hand baggage in the overhead compartment. My back was turned away from her. The flight attendant told my daughter (rather rudely), “don’t sit here! Go find your parents in the back.”
I turned, shoved the boarding pass in his hands at which point he blushed and started to help me with the luggage.

About 30 mins later he came with the menu and I asked what do they have in red wines. He very gently reminded me that it has alcohol in it....I blinked.

And at the check out counters in homedepot. I notice at times the smiles vanish when they see me but resumes to the next one after me...

So any experience of yours where it’s hard to tell?
I lived in Australia for a few years. Non-white folks are always treated differently. An Indian immigrant can never fully become an Australian.

While that's somewhat true in the US, I've seen that an Indian immigrant can fully assimilate into the US society. There ARE racists in the US too, but the vast majority look beyond race and treat everyone as an individual.

The father of a blonde girl in Iowa, who was killed by a Mexican immigrant, urged the country to not use her daughter as a pawn to promote a racist agenda. I was touched by his views.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mollie-tib...ry?id=57562638

People's reactions are not always because of racism. It may be common for kids to take up seats in first class and the air steward probably says that to many kids. It may not have anything to do with being a racist. Sometimes, they are just being careful when mentioning about the alcohol in wine.

In the past, I've been to restaurants and the waiter says, "this item has beef in it!". I don't take it as racist. I think they are making some valid assumptions based on my appearance that I'm an Indian and probably don't eat beef.

Regarding the customer service at the counter, if they are not smiling at you, I would suggest you smile at them and say "Good Morning" or "Good afternoon" or whatever. If they don't respond, then it's a different story.

People are not always racist. Sometimes, they could feel a bit uncomfortable with someone that's different.

We ARE a minority here. We have to develop a thicker skin than normal. I don't think you need to feel jilted because you don't get a smile at a checkout counter.
Old September 5th, 2018, 10:23 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarHarMahaDev View Post
In the past, I've been to restaurants and the waiter says, "this item has beef in it!". I don't take it as racist. I think they are making some valid assumptions based on my appearance that I'm an Indian and probably don't eat beef.
Ram Ram Ram - So you eat Beef. You will be unwelcome in Indian gatherings.
Old September 5th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

HarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Ram Ram Ram - So you eat Beef. You will be unwelcome in Indian gatherings.
I don't eat Indian cow. I only eat American cow. Indian cows are holy. American cows are promiscuous animals!
Old September 5th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't eat Indian cow. I only eat American cow. Indian cows are holy. American cows are promiscuous animals!
I always thought prompos... pomisco... promposio... err, whatever was an ordainment of the gods. It is what made them holy. So, by that extension, american cows must be holy too. Which makes you a sinner. You will be unwelcome in Indian gatherings.

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old September 5th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I lived in Australia for a few years. Non-white folks are always treated differently. An Indian immigrant can never fully become an Australian.

While that's somewhat true in the US, I've seen that an Indian immigrant can fully assimilate into the US society. There ARE racists in the US too, but the vast majority look beyond race and treat everyone as an individual.

The father of a blonde girl in Iowa, who was killed by a Mexican immigrant, urged the country to not use her daughter as a pawn to promote a racist agenda. I was touched by his views.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mollie-tib...ry?id=57562638

People's reactions are not always because of racism. It may be common for kids to take up seats in first class and the air steward probably says that to many kids. It may not have anything to do with being a racist. Sometimes, they are just being careful when mentioning about the alcohol in wine.

Regarding the customer service at the counter, if they are not smiling at you, I would suggest you smile at them and say "Good Morning" or "Good afternoon" or whatever. If they don't respond, then it's a different story.

People are not always racist. Sometimes, they could feel a bit uncomfortable with someone that's different.

We ARE a minority here. We have to develop a thicker skin than normal. I don't think you need to feel jilted because you don't get a smile at a checkout counter.
I am not sure if it bothers me that people dont smile. I think I have come to accept the fact that some people just arnt very pleasant. Like in India, do you ever see a sales associate smile at you? No. that is bad customer service.

so...what is it that is bothering me? I am not sure. I guess I just want them to treat me like the next person. when that doesnt happen, I simply have to let go. Agreed.
But the question remains, when does the innocent remark (like wine being an alcoholic beverage) turn into bad customer service that in turn turns into discrimination? There is a fine line. I cant tell them apart.
Old September 5th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
I always thought prompos... pomisco... promposio... err, whatever was an ordainment of the gods. It is what made them holy. So, by that extension, american cows must be holy too. Which makes you a sinner. You will be unwelcome in Indian gatherings.
oh he is fine. he has good taste in wine. he will bring them a few bottles and everyone is as happy as a drunk sailor.
Old September 5th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But the question remains, when does the innocent remark (like wine being an alcoholic beverage) turn into bad customer service that in turn turns into discrimination? There is a fine line. I cant tell them apart.
Age. Age will help you tell apart those fine lines. As you grow older, you will become wiser. At this time, you are very young. You have a lot to learn of the worldly ways

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old September 5th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Senior eCharchan

Gr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond reputeGr8_Hindustani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
You faced subtle and direct discrimination...

So leave your Canada and come to California... where If You Ain't Brown They Just Frown
Here we discriminate against whites

Ek he ulloo kafi hai barbade gulistan kee liya,
Anjamye gulistan kya hoga jab har daal pee ulloo bethe hoon
Old September 5th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How do you tell these two apart? Is there a thumb rule. I donít seem to get the hang of it. See below example, for the life of me, I donít know what this is!
Example: we were returning from a vacation; I told my daughter to sit in the first row of the business class (thanks to our working perks) while I was arranging my hand baggage in the overhead compartment. My back was turned away from her. The flight attendant told my daughter (rather rudely), ďdonít sit here! Go find your parents in the back.Ē
I turned, shoved the boarding pass in his hands at which point he blushed and started to help me with the luggage.

About 30 mins later he came with the menu and I asked what do they have in red wines. He very gently reminded me that it has alcohol in it....I blinked.

And at the check out counters in homedepot. I notice at times the smiles vanish when they see me but resumes to the next one after me...

So any experience of yours where itís hard to tell?

What Airlines?

And Home Depot??????? Hmmm...You are in kaneddda...Go figure.
Old September 7th, 2018, 06:43 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmthaLal View Post
What Airlines?

And Home Depot??????? Hmmm...You are in kaneddda...Go figure.
This particular airlines was American Airlines. Cincinnati bound but i have have this happen to be before as well; not exact same thing but small weird things.
Old September 7th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This particular airlines was American Airlines. Cincinnati bound but i have have this happen to be before as well; not exact same thing but small weird things.
Arey this is bound to happen.. its human nature..
For example, in Mumbai when you see a 'bhaiyya' (from UP or Bihar) the thought does cross the minds of local folks that 'Saala bhaiyya'
Old September 8th, 2018, 05:47 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Looks like HarHar created a bad impression of Desis in AA . Anyway, you could have given it a racist twist and got the AA management to offer you some goodies to compensate for this.
Old September 8th, 2018, 07:29 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Looks like HarHar created a bad impression of Desis in AA . Anyway, you could have given it a racist twist and got the AA management to offer you some goodies to compensate for this.
I think itís okay to sit in first class until they find out. Then say I donít know I from indian. I speak thoda thoda English.