eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old January 15th, 2018, 05:33 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
How do you decide he needs money?

It was a cold evening. Very cold actually. With the windchill, it was -41 D C.
We were in the train and suddenly a young man, maybe late teens or early twenties came by requesting people for any money we can spare. That train is expensive (i mean $9.50 each way) and we dont usually see people asking for money. Some people turned him away and some people gave him money; I gave him 10 bucks with the hope that he was indeed telling the truth about "just" losing his apartment and has no food to eat or any where to go.

My friend who was sitting beside me thought he was bluffing about the whole thing.

Now, is there a set rule that defines a person in need and fakes? When in doubt, what do you do?
Old January 15th, 2018, 06:09 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you decide he needs money?

I have been duped like this before. Decided never to help out.

See this thread: http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44521
Old January 15th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
I have been duped like this before. Decided never to help out.

See this thread: http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44521
so he never sent you the money back eh?
Old January 15th, 2018, 07:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

my experience was poor too... cold evening, begging young person and so on.... I dont carry cash but had a coin for 50p which I gave him. he was angry that I was only giving him 50p and started cussing about.

next day, same man, same place, same begging! I reminded him yesterday's incident and he did not even show remorse - his response was - that was yesterday man, need some today!

I have ended up not giving any money to these kind now.....
Old January 15th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

my friend travels to europe for work. there has been an influx of migrants/refugees from Syrian and other places recently... he tells me the story of a man in similar situation asking for money. my friend got talking to him and it turns out this man is actually an Engineer from syria but is not allowed to work in europe. he has a wife and a kid going hungry and has no choice but to beg. breaks your heart some of these stories. dont know how true.

my friend ended up buying him in McD meals, did not give him any money.
Old January 15th, 2018, 07:51 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
my friend travels to europe for work. there has been an influx of migrants/refugees from Syrian and other places recently... he tells me the story of a man in similar situation asking for money. my friend got talking to him and it turns out this man is actually an Engineer from syria but is not allowed to work in europe. he has a wife and a kid going hungry and has no choice but to beg. breaks your heart some of these stories. dont know how true.

my friend ended up buying him in McD meals, did not give him any money.
There is no way we can possibly know how true the events are. I suppose there has to be some truth to this man i encountered. I never saw this in trains before. And to add the severe cold.
He probably would have made at least 50 bucks right in my compartment.

how can one be in such a situation at such a young age? Where are the parents? I mean, you probably have no support system if you resort to begging. Either that, or the support system decided to leave him alone for, he is indulging in drugs?

He was so young.
Old January 15th, 2018, 08:36 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
so he never sent you the money back eh?
Nah, no big deal actually. Not like I paid $300 to buy a box full of sand thinking it's an iphone.. this had happened to somebody I know.

But the point is.. many times I've been approached for help with small cash.

In India I used to give away 10-100 Rupees to those asking for money on the street side.

Couple incidents other than the thread I referenced earlier:

1. A villager kinda guy with old lady, his wife and a kid in Bangalore, asked me to help raise money for train tickets. Their luggage and money was stolen. They were super far from train station. I gave him 50 bucks, saw him 5 days later at the same place asking for money with the same "family".

2. An old man at bus stop in Bangalore near my college. He was from Tamil Nadu, wanted to catch a bus. Was crying and speaking very good English. He said he came to see his ill daughter, her in-laws were mistreating her, he said he secretly gave her all the money he had on him. I gave him more than 100 bucks and saw him board a bus to TN. This is only time I felt satisfied by helping a stranger with cash.
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
1. A villager kinda guy with old lady, his wife and a kid in Bangalore, asked me to help raise money for train tickets. Their luggage and money was stolen. They were super far from train station. I gave him 50 bucks, saw him 5 days later at the same place asking for money with the same "family".
what could be the issue though? wont getting a small job give you a reliable source of income? I mean, today we beg and get 10 bucks. Tomorrow we may not get at all. This begging cant be an easy task. what say? what is the reasoning behind healthy people begging instead of getting a reliable job?

I see a lady here at the signal. She is here at 7 AM when I get to work...she is here when i leave work. In so much cold. This cant be easy. Then why?
Old January 16th, 2018, 06:08 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

There were a bunch of people in Hyderabad and Bangalore who claim they are lost after visiting Tirupati or rameswaram and want to go back to Maharashtra. First question starts as ‘Aapko Hindi aata hai?’ Or in some cases Marathi.
Old January 16th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
There were a bunch of people in Hyderabad and Bangalore who claim they are lost after visiting Tirupati or rameswaram and want to go back to Maharashtra. First question starts as ‘Aapko Hindi aata hai?’ Or in some cases Marathi.
what does the Dharma dictate in the scenarios when you are in doubt?
Old January 16th, 2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
what could be the issue though? wont getting a small job give you a reliable source of income? I mean, today we beg and get 10 bucks. Tomorrow we may not get at all. This begging cant be an easy task. what say? what is the reasoning behind healthy people begging instead of getting a reliable job?
Whatever you do there will be some who don't want to work. Many Americans will quit work (these are part time hourly workers) around the end of the year. They live off food stamps, small savings and unemployment benefits for a couple months, then get back to work.. not sure these ones beg though.
Quote:
I see a lady here at the signal. She is here at 7 AM when I get to work...she is here when i leave work. In so much cold. This cant be easy. Then why?
I feel these people live in the homeless shelters, they just have to while away the day somehow. 5-10 bucks are enough. They either lost the will to work or nobody would employ them since they were drug addicts or crazy or some such thing.
Old January 16th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Senior eCharchan

people are different... not everyone has your/my approach to life and look forward to the security of the next meal.

I believe overall the world is moving to this view of not worrying about the future.
Old January 16th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

HarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant future

Quote:
It was a cold evening. Very cold actually. With the windchill, it was -41 D C.
We were in the train and suddenly a young man, maybe late teens or early twenties came by requesting people for any money we can spare. That train is expensive (i mean $9.50 each way) and we dont usually see people asking for money. Some people turned him away and some people gave him money; I gave him 10 bucks with the hope that he was indeed telling the truth about "just" losing his apartment and has no food to eat or any where to go.

My friend who was sitting beside me thought he was bluffing about the whole thing.

Now, is there a set rule that defines a person in need and fakes? When in doubt, what do you do?
When in doubt, I don't give them money. Once I give it out, then I assume they told the truth.
Old January 26th, 2018, 05:19 AM
The Y A W N E S T zzzz

raniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond reputeraniraja has a reputation beyond repute

This is one side of the issue.

On the other hand, what do you think about people wanting to give away their money ? Philanthropy is a much advertised venture these days. There was some guy named Gupta from USA advertising that he wanted to give away 99% of his wealth.
I will not be hurried and I will not be bullied

Old January 29th, 2018, 07:39 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniraja View Post
This is one side of the issue.

On the other hand, what do you think about people wanting to give away their money ? Philanthropy is a much advertised venture these days. There was some guy named Gupta from USA advertising that he wanted to give away 99% of his wealth.
Publicity stunt?

good to see you back.