eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old January 8th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Alibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond repute
Question Indian Culture......!

Dear Echarchans,

Today,I was just wondering about our Indian Culture and Heritage. Everyone talks so highly about it. All of us are very proud of it. Its been discussed the world over.

Now, what I want to say is, inspite of having such a rich and influential culture, why are "we" Indians adopting the American culture?

I mean, there have already been so many arguments about our culture being far more superior that the American Culture. Then, why this "Americanization"? Why are we Indians, so influenced by the American culture?

If our culture and Ethics are so GREAT, why aren't the Americans adopting our culture? Why isn't there any term as "Indianization"?

This is just a question. I could not find a logical answer to it. Hope you all are ABLE to find an answer!
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Senior eCharchan

pakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Indian Culture......!

Quote:
Originally posted by Alibaba
Dear Echarchans,

Today,I was just wondering about our Indian Culture and Heritage. Everyone talks so highly about it. All of us are very proud of it. Its been discussed the world over.

Now, what I want to say is, inspite of having such a rich and influential culture, why are "we" Indians adopting the American culture?

I mean, there have already been so many arguments about our culture being far more superior that the American Culture. Then, why this "Americanization"? Why are we Indians, so influenced by the American culture?

If our culture and Ethics are so GREAT, why aren't the Americans adopting our culture? Why isn't there any term as "Indianization"?

This is just a question. I could not find a logical answer to it. Hope you all are ABLE to find an answer!
I think why some Indians follow western culture so blindly is because western culture is projected as a modern culture where every individual is entitled for freedom. There are no boundings in any way and this is what attracts the people who have been in bondings of so many things for generations. Social, Emotional, what not. They see western culture as an escape from all this but when realise the hollowness of western culture, they just want to be bonded again. Americans do follow indian culture when they get the chance to experience it. They do find yoga as the best way to escape the stress their culture put on them, they find maditation the best way to come out of their insecurities, their tension which their way of life put on them. May be Yoga is just the begining, they will realize the greatness of indian culture with time.

Loud and Proud LLKC member since infinity and beyond

Loud but not so Proud IDLE
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
maditation... How true
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Senior eCharchan

pakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond reputepakkidost has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
maditation... How true
Official spelling checker of Echarcha??

Old January 8th, 2004, 12:56 PM
the voice of reason

vakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the rough
i think the world will in the near future experience an equal and opposite reaction. we will embrace their culture and they will embrace ours.
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by vakil sahib
i think the world will in the near future experience an equal and opposite reaction. we will embrace their culture and they will embrace ours.
Amen!!!!

Old January 8th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by pakkidost
Official spelling checker of Echarcha??
No coincidence.

Yesterday I said something about trying meditation to my wife and she replied "you can only do maditation.. meditation is out of your capabilities especially when it requires that you stay still for quite some time"

So I pointed it out today here
Old January 8th, 2004, 02:17 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
No coincidence.

meditation is out of your capabilities especially when it requires that you stay still for quite some time"

You dont have to stay still ... just your mind. You can meditate sitting on toilet bowl so as not to waste time. Ever goof of during work? You were meditating.

AliBaba ... nice topic.

So that I stay within bounds of civility ...

I like world to know that I am follower of Indian culture … starting tomorrow if I went to work dressed in dhoti and pagdi … is that going to me an Indian?

Precisely … what really is Indian culture or values? How is our Indian culture/values any different from American culture/values?

I am just confused cause I can not find anything that is any different between American or Indian cultures/values. Unless we are talking of pant, shirt, dhoti, pajjama.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old January 8th, 2004, 11:32 PM
X

Xandu is on a distinguished road
culture grows by absorbing the positive aspects from other cultures that it comes in contact with. some aspects of the western culture is indeed good although you can debate all night about what is good and what is not. adopting another culture does not necessarily mean leaving behind your original culture as you seem to suggest.

X
Old January 9th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Alibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond reputeAlibaba has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re:

No Offences Tantric Yogi, but I feel theres more to Indian culture than just dhotis and kurtas. Not necessarily does it mean that you have to wear a dhoti and go to office. As a matter of fact, if you do that, people might ridicule you.

Indian culture means, respecting your relations. Joint family is an integral part of our cultural. Wearing clothes of any kind dosen't mean you leave your original culture. But, "Uncalled for Modernization" is not our culture. Indian culture means respecting your ethics and etiquetts. Indian culture has a lot more than we know, I suppose. Thats why its respected so much the world over. I feel it has just happened like the phrase, 'You don't quite respect a thing untill you don't have it anymore'. Once we learn about the negetive aspects of the "western" culture, we Indians, might just turn our way back to where it belongs!

And, let me make myself very clear, this post is not supposed to offend the Americans (westerners)
Old January 9th, 2004, 01:19 AM
the voice of reason

vakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the rough
the problem always is that by the time you become aware of the negative impacts society has changed so much that it is impossible to turn back because the negative aspects have become the norm
Old January 9th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Main Choron ka Raja!

Unhappy I don't have a clue......

I don't have a clue to what to reply. Coz, as i said in my first post, this was just a question. I could not find an answer myself, thats why, its upto you people to give me logical answers. Thats all !
Old January 9th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Most people

Many coming to the USA or living in India might mistake MTV for American Culture.

Similarly, if an American were to watch our Bollywood films and never ending TV serials on Zee TV, he might think that this is Indian culture.

We dont have to ape what the West does nor do they have to follow what we do. To each their own way of life is correct and better than anything else.

Its only when we start encroaching on other's way of life that it becomes a problem.

I am here in USA but I dont live a MTV lifestyle. Nor do I expect my American colleagues to touch the feet of their elders to get blessings.

What is good for me might not be good for others.
Old January 9th, 2004, 02:22 PM
D'oh!

patel_rahul is a glorious beacon of lightpatel_rahul is a glorious beacon of lightpatel_rahul is a glorious beacon of lightpatel_rahul is a glorious beacon of lightpatel_rahul is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Most people

Quote:
Originally posted by echarcha
Many coming to the USA or living in India might mistake MTV for American Culture.

Similarly, if an American were to watch our Bollywood films and never ending TV serials on Zee TV, he might think that this is Indian culture.

We dont have to ape what the West does nor do they have to follow what we do. To each their own way of life is correct and better than anything else.

Its only when we start encroaching on other's way of life that it becomes a problem.

I am here in USA but I dont live a MTV lifestyle. Nor do I expect my American colleagues to touch the feet of their elders to get blessings.

What is good for me might not be good for others.
Culture is not defined by the rituals we perform. Touching someone's feet is not Indian culture. Giving respect to someone elder than you is one aspect of Indian culture. And we express that aspect by touching the feet of someone elder than us.

Culture defines a way of living. What tools we use are immaterial.
Old January 28th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Junior eCharchan

daffodil is on a distinguished road
Alibaba, I like this topic. I've discussed this issue of joint family and respecting family with friends just recently, and there were diverse views, but all of them not incorrect.

For eg, we'd just seen the movie Baghbaan (Yarrgh) and the first reaction was how mean the kids were and how we are losing our humanity.

But in today's world it's too difficult to manage to be a good son/daughter-in-law and not get stressed out from a demanding job or holding your own individuality.

Parents have to change too. They shouldn't have expectations from the children, and should be active and independent all their lives. Sometimes parents in India can be selfish and dominating, I'm sorry to say.

I think a balance between our culture and a western one is needed.