eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Indian Politics

Notices

Indian Politics Our national time-pass!

Old June 8th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shivaji Statue being erected off the Bombay coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulpsharma

Mumbadevi isnt the local goddess..... Its Maa-Amba that has metamorphosed into Mumba..... Maa-amba is the main goddess in Gujarat where the whole Navraatri festival is celebrated in Her name...... The headquarter of Maa Ambikey is in Ambaji in North Gujarat...... Bombay was closely integrated with the state of Gujarat before 1960..... So naturally Gujarati culture was predominant...... and hence the connection with Maa Ambikey...... The divine Goddess is worshipped all over the country from North to South in different names..... 'Aai' (the ending phonetics of Mumb'ai') perhaps was a local addition to a national Goddess......
true..but its all about name..mumbadevi is avatar of ma ambey..but the local kolis and agris worshipped her ...since people from different parts have diff ways to call or pronounce name..they called her MUMBA instead of MAA AMBE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumbadevi
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:41 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
If these goras expect us to know their names and pronounce them properly, then what the fuck - I expect our names to be pronounced properly too. If its tough then ask us and we will help you say the name! I cannot compromise on anyone calling me by anything other than Sunit. Thats it. When I was in San Diego working as a contractor at Qualcomm, one manager said he preferred calling me Sunny. I politely but firmly refused and told him that No, I prefer to be called Sunit.

If as an Indian, I have learnt English, have taken efforts to pronounce English names then the very least an English speaking person can do is try and make a genuine effort to say my non English name.

So even if my name was Sudarashan or Srinavas or whatever, I would expect that it be said as it is.

And where the fuck do you see southie racism here?? I told you what I saw in reality. I did not invent this!! Now if it happened to be Srinivas then how can I help it. And I called him moron because, dont you have a little pride in who you are. Your name should be the very least that should not be changed or mangled or misrepresented about yourself. No one is asking you to wear your traditional attire to work and prove your identity, but your name!! Is it not what you are??

Fuck... I cannot tolerate anyone calling me by any other name. I dont believe in Shakespeare's 'what's in a name?' concept.
Still clueless abt what are you trying to point out here . Ok you want the goras to say ur name right . Fine !!! . What has it to do anything abt Christening Bombay to Mumbai .
I was born and brought up in Bombay, that how I used to call my city . Then it was christened Mumbai . I had no problems with it . I used it interchangeably. But if you say that telling a gora colleague that I am from Bombay is akin to calling myself Steve is outright stupid argument . But anyway 'Fuck me ' right .. I am a moron nonetheless .
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:47 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sadly the fuckers in the media are all pinko communist sshit heads!! Always out to fuck with anything good.

Whatever, I am happy that the CONGRESS party atleast thought of maharaj and not the usual Gandhi baba!!

And this fucker Ketkar never raised rabble over M.F. Hussain painting nude pictures of Hindu deities and goddesses.

Even the Supreme Court says that attacking Hussain is akin to choking freedom of speech and artistic expression. Really?? Why does the great M.F. Hussain not paint Muslim Allah in the nude? Why not? Is that not artistic too.

And look up the same newspaper this fucker Ketkar serves during this Hussain episode. Not a word against it! very timid and lukewarm responses.

Wah re wah!!

Fuck it. Let the government and media do whatever. For me, my Chatrapati is in my heart, I dont need a huge statue for it.
So that is ur justification to call Ketkar a Marathi bastard , because the Supreme Court upheld the law of the land called 'India' . Or maybe Maharashtra is an exception .
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Bandook Singh

deshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, erect the statue. Make it a tourist attraction...

THEN

Fuck it. Let the government and media do whatever. For me, my Chatrapati is in my heart, I dont need a huge statue for it.
Cha bhai, Statue banwani hai ya nahin??? Decide kar lo yaar.
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshpremi
Cha bhai, Statue banwani hai ya nahin??? Decide kar lo yaar.
dp sahab aap vilasrao ko phone karke order cancel kardo
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanfanabhi
dp sahab aap vilasrao ko phone karke order cancel kardo
I think they should satisfy everyone.

My proposal -
Go deep into the Arabian Sea, not just 1 km bu 2 or 3 Km. Now create a huge island there. Next erect statues of
Mahatma Gandhi
Indira Gandhi
Rajeev Gandhi
Shivaji Maharaj
Babasaheb Ambedkar - cant forget him now, can we??
Mayawati
Laloo Prasad Yadav
Kanshiram
Sonia Gandhi
Manmohan Singh

please add your favorite political and apolitical figure here..

This way no one can object.
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSpeaks
So that is ur justification to call Ketkar a Marathi bastard , because the Supreme Court upheld the law of the land called 'India' . Or maybe Maharashtra is an exception .
Supreme Court was questioned by prosecuting laywers about Hussain's rights to only paint Hindu deities in the nude. What freedom would the court afford if non Hindu deities were shown in similar light? I followed the case from quite some time because 1) Hussain is a charlatan who has defrauded the givernment for millions under guise of being an artist. Check his Nilambari painting in Delhi airport 2) Hussain finds all art in nude and denigrating images of Hindu goddesses but does not have the spine to find his own Allah artistic in the nude. Forget Allah in the nude, he even wont try to draw a picture of Mohammed.

So enough of this pandering to 'so called minorities'
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSpeaks
Still clueless abt what are you trying to point out here . Ok you want the goras to say ur name right . Fine !!! . What has it to do anything abt Christening Bombay to Mumbai .
I was born and brought up in Bombay, that how I used to call my city . Then it was christened Mumbai . I had no problems with it . I used it interchangeably. But if you say that telling a gora colleague that I am from Bombay is akin to calling myself Steve is outright stupid argument . But anyway 'Fuck me ' right .. I am a moron nonetheless .
Bombay was Mumbai before the Brits came and renamed it because those assholes could not pronounce it properly!

So what is wrong in returning a city back to its original name?? If you are, say Ramesh and some assholes in your office call you Rammy or something and then you accept it too for whatever reasons. Now your job has changed and you want to go back to your own name Ramesh. Will you?

Naah, you like the British Raj names, so you wont get the point here. Sorry I even tried to explain. Forget my analogies and examples and incidents.

Yeah... lets hang on to British era things...
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:41 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Aha - my 2 c
Statue - Follow Hyderabad - There is a Buddha statue in the middle of HS lake and also a lot of other Telugu and National heroes on the Tank Bund Road . so we can have a Shivaji Statue off Back Bay and Gokhale, Tilak, Bose plus the lot pointed by Sutradhaji on the Netaji Subhash Chandra Road. Of course there are things of higher priorities like improving the suburban lines, metro etc. but at tleast there will be no Land Acquisition problems for this! Plus it may prove to be viable ( you pay 80rs or so to go near buddha statue)

Names - 96 is the year Bombay became Mumbai and Madras became Chennai. Before that, Bombay was a hip, westernized city besides attracting migrants from all over and Madras a conservative insular city. But after that, Channai started opening up, it is now an Auto and IT hub besides having plants manufacturing Nokia and Dell* besides attracting increasing migration from elsewhere. Mumbai has econiomically slowed down and a host of other cities are catching up with it (both money and hipness). Marathi speakers who never moved out of Mumbai are now found in delhi, bangalore and increasingly in Chennai and Hyderabad.. Now, i do not want to debate on whether increaing hipness/ westernization is good/bad or ugly. This is just an observationb.
* These projects were force started by Dayanithi Maran in Outskirts of Chennai. Now that he has fallen out of favour woth his grand uncle. Do not knw what state they are n now.

More on names, people do not normally bother to use new names particularly when it comes to streets. how many people call Marine Drive Netaji Subhash road or Flora Fountain as hutatma Chowk. Same in Cal. The LF govt namesd the road on which American and British consulates are located as Ho chi minh Sarani, but the driver of taxi i once hired still knew it as harrington Street (although it was renamed long back, he did not know of the existence of Ho chi minh sarani)

Coming to Kolkatta, it is more a change in pronounciation than name change (somewhat like Bengaluru!). not sure but the name was probably coined by English after Kalighat.

Last edited by sgars; June 10th, 2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Spear Barbarian

GunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud ofGunsNRoses has much to be proud of

Like it or not, Bombay, Calcutta and Madras all owe much of their existence to the British Raj. True, some of them might have existed a bit before, but without the British they would have all been two-horse towns with nothing in there. The reason the existing rulers gave them those lands was because they were far away from their cities and they didn't think the Brits could build anything there. Heck, the whole Mumbai area was a bunch of marshlands. Madraspatnam was also another marshy area. Calcutta was a tiny village in some obscure locality on the river.

That's why methinks the Shiv Sena ought to build a Shivaji statue outside Pune or Junnar (if they can find it on a map, that is. Junta Marathi manoos that I've met have no idea where Junnar is ). If the Shiv Sena wants to build a statue outside Bombay they ought to build one in honor of another famous Shivaji, a true Marathi Manoos. As this Shivaji would say, "Jujubee!"

Proud LLKC member since May 2002.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir 1950

Last edited by GunsNRoses; June 10th, 2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

So what is wrong in returning a city back to its original name?? If you are, say Ramesh and some assholes in your office call you Rammy or something and then you accept it too for whatever reasons. Now your job has changed and you want to go back to your own name Ramesh. Will you?

But your example is not complete. Let us say that Ramship pai in this office where he is called Rammy has obtained accolades for his work there. He is now famous all over the world as Rammy the Designer of Everything Good. Now he moves on to a different place. What will he want to be called as... Ramesh... or Rammy the Designer of Everything Good

I believe this is what Gunsareroses pai has pointed out in his post. Bombay was famous in the world as Bombay... the happening place. Now, as Mumbai, it is just another airport where lots of Indians settled around the world book their tickets to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars

Now, i do not want to debate on whether increaing hipness/ westernization is good/bad or ugly.

Whether you want to debate or not, Sgassy pai... the point has been noted. Of course hipness/westernization draws people towards it (especially men). And the main reason for this is... men like sex. Being hip or western mostly means being sexy... and if there is sex, there will be men

There was an article that I read recently in the local newspapers about a tribe in Pukistan that has maintained its cultural influences inspite of rampant peaceful overtures around it (Pagan sect at Pakistan border lives amid militant Islam). Now these people were celebrating a festival... coming of spring or something... where people from the tribe get together and dance. This time Pukistan g'ment publicized it... probably to garner a few more dollars from western countries. Guess who the audience generally consists of at these festivities... at these colorful, decently dressed but showing a lot of leg and arm, dances... yes, you got it. A lot of peaceful men from surrounding peaceful areas. Guess what they come to see... yes, it was mentioned right in the article. Peaceful men come to these places because the tribe's womenfolk mix easily with men... and that generally means a lot of sex for these peaceful men

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless

Last edited by Sane Less; June 11th, 2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added link to polytheistic tribe
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:38 AM
The NEo of Echarcha

Quote:
Bombay was Mumbai before the Brits came and renamed it because those assholes could not pronounce it properly!

Naah, you like the British Raj names, so you wont get the point here. Sorry I even tried to explain. Forget my analogies and examples and incidents.

Yeah... lets hang on to British era things...
The name Bombay was coined for more than 200 years and when you and I are born we naturally related to it . That was the name i grew up with . It wasn't a name that was shoved down my throat by some gora, that I feel to need to fall back to the original name . So naturally ur analogy doesn't make sense. Again I didn't have any objections about it being renamed Mumbai . I object to your denigrating attitude towards people who want to keep their preference, because in the end name doesn't matter but the people do.

And if you really want to talk abt hanging on to British Raj , even English came from the British and the name 'India' isn't desi either .

I don't see any passion inside you for ur country . Or is it that u don't like the given name ?

Last edited by JaiSpeaks; June 11th, 2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM
The NEo of Echarcha

Quote:
Supreme Court was questioned by prosecuting laywers about Hussain's rights to only paint Hindu deities in the nude. What freedom would the court afford if non Hindu deities were shown in similar light? I followed the case from quite some time because 1) Hussain is a charlatan who has defrauded the givernment for millions under guise of being an artist. Check his Nilambari painting in Delhi airport 2) Hussain finds all art in nude and denigrating images of Hindu goddesses but does not have the spine to find his own Allah artistic in the nude. Forget Allah in the nude, he even wont try to draw a picture of Mohammed.

So enough of this pandering to 'so called minorities'
So u are saying Ketkar is a bastard because he played down Hussain but reacted bluntly against Shiv Statue.

So i guess u even justify the Maratha activists bombarding his place.
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:52 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less

I believe this is what Gunsareroses pai has pointed out in his post. Bombay was famous in the world as Bombay... the happening place. Now, as Mumbai, it is just another airport where lots of Indians settled around the world book their tickets to.
Very rightly put . repped ya
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Senior eCharchan

ShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond reputeShivSainik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulpsharma

Mumbadevi isnt the local goddess..... Its Maa-Amba that has metamorphosed into Mumba..... Maa-amba is the main goddess in Gujarat where the whole Navraatri festival is celebrated in Her name...... The headquarter of Maa Ambikey is in Ambaji in North Gujarat...... Bombay was closely integrated with the state of Gujarat before 1960..... So naturally Gujarati culture was predominant...... and hence the connection with Maa Ambikey...... The divine Goddess is worshipped all over the country from North to South in different names..... 'Aai' (the ending phonetics of Mumb'ai') perhaps was a local addition to a national Goddess......
WRONG ! Mumbai has age old temple of local godess called "MUMBADEVI" and mumbai was named after that. It was very close to the place where I stayed. and BTW we also have famous temple of amba devi in Kolhapur - Maharashtra. So maa-amba is not specific to Gujrat.