eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Indian Politics

Notices

Indian Politics Our national time-pass!

Old June 8th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Senior eCharchan

Desa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shivaji Statue being erected off the Bombay coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
Mumbai from Bombay led the way for other cities to go back to pre-British era original names. Had it not been Mumbai then Chennai would still be Madras, Kolkotta would still be Calcutta, Vadodra would still be Baroda.
I have no problem in calling the names of Bombay, Calcutta, Madras or Baroda. In fact, those names are still used by many in India. Moreover, I think even changing names of other cities was a wastage because it didn't solve any problems of these cities. BTW Chennai was established by British.Moreover, there are many things in India that are contributions from british like railways, Parliament house and Rahstrapati bhawan to name a few. Why don't we finish these of too and go back to pre-british era as well? By doing this aren't we becoming taliban ourselves?
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desa
I have no problem in calling the names of Bombay, Calcutta, Madras or Baroda. In fact, those names are still used by many in India. Moreover, I think even changing names of other cities was a wastage because it didn't solve any problems of these cities. BTW Chennai was established by British.Moreover, there are many things in India that are contributions from british like railways, Parliament house and Rahstrapati bhawan to name a few. Why don't we finish these of too and go back to pre-british era as well? By doing this aren't we becoming taliban ourselves?
angrez gaye par unke pillay EC par aaj bhi hain...if they built railways n stuff they did not do it for the people they did it for their own convenience..when you colonise a country and if you devlop it ,you havent done a favour over the colony coz u did it for yourself..and before the brits came here the people out here were not dying or leading a miserable life...changing name wasnt a bad idea...a lot depends on the name...it is the identity and the whole soul of a place or person lies in its name....the name mumbai is about the local goddess mumbadevi..and bombay though sounds british or better..mumbai is what the real name is
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Senior eCharchan

rahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond reputerahulpsharma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanfanabhi
angrez gaye par unke pillay EC par aaj bhi hain...if they built railways n stuff they did not do it for the people they did it for their own convenience..when you colonise a country and if you devlop it ,you havent done a favour over the colony coz u did it for yourself..and before the brits came here the people out here were not dying or leading a miserable life...changing name wasnt a bad idea...a lot depends on the name...it is the identity and the whole soul of a place or person lies in its name....the name mumbai is about the local goddess mumbadevi..and bombay though sounds british or better..mumbai is what the real name is

Mumbadevi isnt the local goddess..... Its Maa-Amba that has metamorphosed into Mumba..... Maa-amba is the main goddess in Gujarat where the whole Navraatri festival is celebrated in Her name...... The headquarter of Maa Ambikey is in Ambaji in North Gujarat...... Bombay was closely integrated with the state of Gujarat before 1960..... So naturally Gujarati culture was predominant...... and hence the connection with Maa Ambikey...... The divine Goddess is worshipped all over the country from North to South in different names..... 'Aai' (the ending phonetics of Mumb'ai') perhaps was a local addition to a national Goddess......

Last edited by rahulpsharma; June 8th, 2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Senior eCharchan

Desa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond reputeDesa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanfanabhi
Abay (hutiye.. when did I claim that british built these for Indian public. Of course, it was for their own use. They didn't do any favour to Indian public. But they still built it. Now should we scrape all these things because of they were built by them. Officially changing the name of the city costs a huge amount. People were not living a miserable life then but they are now. And only if people are having their basic neccessities. Then it is fine. As you must have heard "Gaand mein guu nahi, chale hain suwar ko daawat dene". There are many cities or even countries who, in their local lingo, are known by other names. Germany is known as Deutschland, Egypt is known as Misr, Cairo is Qahira to name a few. Even New York and New Orleans are the cities named by the colonisers. You don't see politicians changing the name but rather than that focussing on important issues.
Old June 8th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Let me tell of one desi I happened to know in a office setting. His name was a bit long - Srinivasan. This moron was so much of a gora gaand that he would say call me Steve to his gora colleagues. He could have easily asked them to call him Sri or Srini which is definitely easy to pronounce.

I dont care if they cant say my name. If they cannot say it then bad for them. I wont settle for some gora name!

So unless you feel that its okay that you be called by some other name, then fine let it remain Bombay.
Old June 8th, 2008, 12:56 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Let me tell of one desi I happened to know in a office setting. His name was a bit long - Srinivasan. This moron was so much of a gora gaand that he would say call me Steve to his gora colleagues. He could have easily asked them to call him Sri or Srini which is definitely easy to pronounce.

I dont care if they cant say my name. If they cannot say it then bad for them. I wont settle for some gora name!

So unless you feel that its okay that you be called by some other name, then fine let it remain Bombay.
i dont understand ur argument . u calling Desa a moron because he is against the renaming of Bombay.

Bombay was renamed sometime in 1999 along with the renaming of major landmarks named after Shivaji and relatives. We actually had a joke going around that they might change our degree from 'Bachelor of Electronics" to "Chatrapati of Electronics".
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

JaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond reputeJaiSpeaks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This fucker Ketkar of Loksatta is a bloody ashamed to be Marathi bastard. Nothing wrong in erecting a statue and make the Mumbai skyline even more beautiful.
Or maybe he considers himself to be an Indian , which by the way is a word derived from Anglo-Saxon or maybe Portuguese ..
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:

You don't understand. Officially changing the name of the city involves MONEY - a lot of it I may add. In Marathi lingo, I think it was always called Mumbai. In Hindi and Urdu it was always called Bambai. Its not about how it would sound to a Gora or others. I would still say it is a wastage of money if they officially change the name of Vishakapatnam to Vish or Virginia. It is about wastage of public funds. However, if the nation is prosperous and people have basic neccessities of life, then maybe it is Ok to change the name. But still it is wastage because it changes nothing except confusion among people like I had to lookup wikipedia to still confirm if the name Vishakapatnam is still there or is it now changed.

Last edited by Desa; June 8th, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:31 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSpeaks
Bombay was renamed sometime in 1999 along with the renaming of major landmarks named after Shivaji and relatives. We actually had a joke going around that they might change our degree from 'Bachelor of Electronics" to "Chatrapati of Electronics".
Once we were immature ... weren't we? Now and hopefully we know better.

RANI ... what's the first thing that comes to your mind? I hope Rani Jhansi. MAHARANA ... what's the first thng that comes to your mind? I hope Maharana Pratap Singh. MAHATMA ... Mahatma Gandhi, I hope? CHATRAPATI is associated with likes of men and women who sacrificed their lives fighting for a cause ... our cause ... to save our way of life and culture.

These people did not do it for money or fame like the cricket players and movie stars you guys adore and will give your life for. These people died for a cause ... our cause.

Jai Sahib ... for sure you are not confused about this "Chatrapati of Electronics" joke? I have spent better part of typing this post to find humour in the joke but fail to.

"Chatrapati of Electronics" ... you guys actually laughed at this thing? I must go search for my sense of humour which I never knew was lost.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

What are you trying to say here... is he a moron who asked his colleagues to call him Steve... or is he a moron because he asked his colleagues to call him Steve... or is he a moron 'cos his name is Srinivasan This statement stinks of racism... southie racism. Yaad rakh Echarlie pai, you are from Maharashtra... so officially you too are a madrasi. Jyada uchalna nahi... bandar lago ge

But seriously... what is your reasoning for calling him a moron

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:18 PM
The NEo of Echarcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi
Once we were immature ... weren't we? Now and hopefully we know better.

RANI ... what's the first thing that comes to your mind? I hope Rani Jhansi. MAHARANA ... what's the first thng that comes to your mind? I hope Maharana Pratap Singh. MAHATMA ... Mahatma Gandhi, I hope? CHATRAPATI is associated with likes of men and women who sacrificed their lives fighting for a cause ... our cause ... to save our way of life and culture.

These people did not do it for money or fame like the cricket players and movie stars you guys adore and will give your life for. These people died for a cause ... our cause.

Jai Sahib ... for sure you are not confused about this "Chatrapati of Electronics" joke? I have spent better part of typing this post to find humour in the joke but fail to.

"Chatrapati of Electronics" ... you guys actually laughed at this thing? I must go search for my sense of humour which I never knew was lost.
Chatrapati was just a word coined to reflect an emperor like for example Mugle-Azam . It did not reflect any cause but yeah they fought for their king. Never denied the fact that he was a great emperor.

Maybe now the joke doesn't have any importance. But consider this . Back then when Shiv Sena was in the mood of changing names they downplayed everyone who thgt that naming VT to the creator, who was of Parsi descent and most definitely Indian, saying that this is Shivajis karmabhoomi. This was a reaction to the same . But I guess it is acceptable to you that in Shivaji' name they became the most corrupt parties to rule. Paid their true homage to the one true leader .

Last edited by JaiSpeaks; June 8th, 2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Shivaji Statue being erected off the Bombay coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less
What are you trying to say here... is he a moron who asked his colleagues to call him Steve... or is he a moron because he asked his colleagues to call him Steve... or is he a moron 'cos his name is Srinivasan This statement stinks of racism... southie racism. Yaad rakh Echarlie pai, you are from Maharashtra... so officially you too are a madrasi. Jyada uchalna nahi... bandar lago ge

But seriously... what is your reasoning for calling him a moron
If these goras expect us to know their names and pronounce them properly, then what the fuck - I expect our names to be pronounced properly too. If its tough then ask us and we will help you say the name! I cannot compromise on anyone calling me by anything other than Sunit. Thats it. When I was in San Diego working as a contractor at Qualcomm, one manager said he preferred calling me Sunny. I politely but firmly refused and told him that No, I prefer to be called Sunit.

If as an Indian, I have learnt English, have taken efforts to pronounce English names then the very least an English speaking person can do is try and make a genuine effort to say my non English name.

So even if my name was Sudarashan or Srinavas or whatever, I would expect that it be said as it is.

And where the fuck do you see southie racism here?? I told you what I saw in reality. I did not invent this!! Now if it happened to be Srinivas then how can I help it. And I called him moron because, dont you have a little pride in who you are. Your name should be the very least that should not be changed or mangled or misrepresented about yourself. No one is asking you to wear your traditional attire to work and prove your identity, but your name!! Is it not what you are??

Fuck... I cannot tolerate anyone calling me by any other name. I dont believe in Shakespeare's 'what's in a name?' concept.
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSpeaks
Or maybe he considers himself to be an Indian , which by the way is a word derived from Anglo-Saxon or maybe Portuguese ..
Sadly the fuckers in the media are all pinko communist sshit heads!! Always out to fuck with anything good.

Whatever, I am happy that the CONGRESS party atleast thought of maharaj and not the usual Gandhi baba!!

And this fucker Ketkar never raised rabble over M.F. Hussain painting nude pictures of Hindu deities and goddesses.

Even the Supreme Court says that attacking Hussain is akin to choking freedom of speech and artistic expression. Really?? Why does the great M.F. Hussain not paint Muslim Allah in the nude? Why not? Is that not artistic too.

And look up the same newspaper this fucker Ketkar serves during this Hussain episode. Not a word against it! very timid and lukewarm responses.

Wah re wah!!

Fuck it. Let the government and media do whatever. For me, my Chatrapati is in my heart, I dont need a huge statue for it.

Last edited by echarcha; June 8th, 2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old June 8th, 2008, 08:11 PM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Shivaji Statue being erected off the Bombay coast

Quote:
No, erect the statue. Make it a tourist attraction and the revenues from this should be utilised to restore and maintain the forts.
This city has been my home since birth & I always knew it as Bombay as taught in school. Iíve many Maharshtrian friends, who even today refer the city as Bombay in their conversations. They are cool with others mentioning the city by its original name.

Anyways the name issue apart, this city has a lot other issues that need to be given priority than building a statue, that would just offer a trickle of revenue into the governmentís coffers.

1) The cityís pre-independence dated sewage & drainage system badly needs to be updated with better modern sewage treatment plants required at important locations. Even today, tons of raw untreated sewage gets spewed into the sea. The cityís beaches are in no way a healthy place for families to stroll around or dip their feet. If the government takes a few concrete measures to tackle this, it would be useful than build a statue that tourists would have to sail to through sewage filled waters.
2) The local train network is still outdated & buckling under the enormous load of daily commuters. There were talks about introducing elevated trains, undergrounds & so on. If the government finishes these projects & then go ahead with their statue, it would be worthwhile.
3) Slums dotting the city everywhere need to be cleared. The governmentís slum rehabilitation programme has hardly gathered momentum & has a long way to go.
4) Many more roads & flyovers need to be introduced to ease the growing congestion in the city. The much talked about Peddar road flyover is still on paper than any ground work. Hey build these bridges first & then build your statue.

If these issues & many others that need attention are tackled first, I too would be proud to see a tall statue of the great King greeting the cityís coastline with pride & boasting about the success & greatness of this city.
Old June 8th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Abay (hutiye.. when did I claim that british built these for Indian public. Of course, it was for their own use. They didn't do any favour to Indian public. But they still built it. Now should we scrape all these things because of they were built by them. Officially changing the name of the city costs a huge amount. People were not living a miserable life then but they are now. And only if people are having their basic neccessities. Then it is fine. As you must have heard "Gaand mein guu nahi, chale hain suwar ko daawat dene". There are many cities or even countries who, in their local lingo, are known by other names. Germany is known as Deutschland, Egypt is known as Misr, Cairo is Qahira to name a few. Even New York and New Orleans are the cities named by the colonisers. You don't see politicians changing the name but rather than that focussing on important issues.
i never gave you any dawat

talking about nyc and new orleans they had no native population...the cities were established from scrap by the english and french .besides we dont have to fu(k up what the germans and the egyptians do...we wanna have our own fu(kin identity..and this is the best way to start things newly and have your own identity and pride...
did i ever say to destroy the facilities started by the brits??NO.besides who is asking you to kill the colonial names..we just wanna name them newly..that doesnt mean the old name will be destructed or destroyedand in mumbai lot of heriage rated building have been already destructed which were built by portuguese..and even crawford market is no more safe..and might be demolsihed for a new and bigger structure
the whole funda is..country is expanding ,money is coming in & so is population expanding..why to stick to the old name which denotes us being the ex-indian colony..