eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:06 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb America Has A Secret Weapon to ensure science remains the Engine of Prosperity

This is very interesting as Dr. Michio Kaku explains about America's scientific community and the secret weapon.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE
Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:09 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: America Has A Secret Weapon to ensure science remains the Engine of Prosperity

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
This is very interesting as Dr. Michio Kaku explains about America's scientific community and the secret weapon.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE
Kaku is exaggerating the importance of H1-B.

If H1-B were stopped, US would be adversely affected in short term (at most 10 years), but there is no shortage of home-grown talent.

For example, some high school students (educated in USA) are able to design human powered submarines, rockets that go up to a mile, automobiles that are extremely fuel efficient etc...

Kaku needs to descend from his ivory tower and mingle with students in high schools and community colleges across the nation to know this.
Old August 24th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Senior eCharchan

GameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: America Has A Secret Weapon to ensure science remains the Engine of Prosperity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurandhar View Post

If H1-B were stopped, US would be adversely affected in short term (at most 10 years), but there is no shortage of home-grown talent.

For example, some high school students (educated in USA) are able to design human powered submarines, rockets that go up to a mile, automobiles that are extremely fuel efficient etc...

Kaku needs to descend from his ivory tower and mingle with students in high schools and community colleges across the nation to know this.
agreed...they can design rockets but need automated timers with voice prompt to reverse count from 10 to launch them so that they dont make a mistake in the counting...

mirchi kaku...nice name...is he from rajasthan(didnt see the video)?
Old August 24th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOn View Post
agreed...they can design rockets but need automated timers with voice prompt to reverse count from 10 to launch them so that they dont make a mistake in the counting...

mirchi kaku...nice name...is he from rajasthan(didnt see the video)?
The rockets are launched remotely using an electric circuit. No need to count.

When I said designing rockets, I'm talking about those that can go up a mile or higher.
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The rockets are launched remotely using an electric circuit. No need to count.

When I said designing rockets, I'm talking about those that can go up a mile or higher.
dhurs, I think he is referring to the apathy of the US teenagers or youngsters to pursue a career in Science/Math ...

In India, most of us go for it by default ...
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Life is BEAUtiful

sunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Common Dhuru....agreed some kids here are genius, but not all.
US will have a hard time, if it stopped H1B. And what do you think US officials have not thought about this? The reason they are still allowing H1B is because they need it too.
I know a school teacher in Math and her reaction to American kids is "They are dumb", now agreed this is one opinion of one teacher (who I think is biased :P)...but still a general trend says it all.

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykode View Post
US will have a hard time, if it stopped H1B. And what do you think US officials have not thought about this? The reason they are still allowing H1B is because they need it too.
I know a school teacher in Math and her reaction to American kids is "They are dumb", now agreed this is one opinion of one teacher (who I think is biased :P)...but still a general trend says it all.
I wish I could share educational research with you. Nevertheless, let me tell about an ASEE (American Society of Engineering Education) paper that I read out of curiosity. It was about a test given to students (no specific nationality) in US, all the way from freshman to doctoral students (who by far are supposedly bright students from overseas) at five different research universities (three huge state universities, and two private universities). The test covered basic concepts in statics, dynamics and mechanics of materials (aka strength of materials). It turned out that doctoral students did not far much better than sophomores who had just taken the course.

These are the students that industry wants, but for cheap.

This should tell you volumes about the H1B myth.

On a related note, many American schoolteachers are dumb..but not quite in that I know of several school systems where teachers are rotated at primary level...so English teacher is forced to teach math and she don't know dick...!
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai View Post
dhurs, I think he is referring to the apathy of the US teenagers or youngsters to pursue a career in Science/Math ...

In India, most of us go for it by default ...
His statements for sure did not imply that...in US (relatively speaking) most kids are independent minded, unlike their sheepish counterparts in third world that believe engineering/medicine is key to prosperity without much thought..or at times being influenced by friends or parents.

Those who get into engineering for making monies don't contribute much to the progress in the field anyway...nor do they take up hobby to improvize their knowledge....there are many such wastrels to be found in third world countries. In USA, the hobby sector is relatively strong..but is continually eroding in favor of programming and IT.
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykode View Post
I think you need to change your perspective here... a little bit. In US, kids in a class are mostly americans. Of all that based on percentage, you will agree that 20-30 percent of the class are bright... remaining is what you categorized as "they are dumb". Are you saying that this percent of bright students is very high in India

My opinion is that percentage of bright students in a class is always in the same range all around the world... unless... unless you only look at classes that are forecefully made of only bright students. So teachers' opinions around the world will always be the same... as you put it, "They are dumb"... doesn't matter whether it is US or any other country. It is the job of the teachers to change that... but if they keep saying "they are dumb" then that is a notification that the teachers have failed... not the students.

I think percentage-wise US has the same amount of bright kids as India. The problem with India is that all its bright kids make their way over here... what remains behind is who you see on the street today, supporting Anna

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old August 24th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
His statements for sure did not imply that...in US (relatively speaking) most kids are independent minded, unlike their sheepish counterparts in third world that believe engineering/medicine is key to prosperity without much thought..or at times being influenced by friends or parents.

Those who get into engineering for making monies don't contribute much to the progress in the field anyway...nor do they take up hobby to improvize their knowledge....there are many such wastrels to be found in third world countries. In USA, the hobby sector is relatively strong..but is continually eroding in favor of programming and IT.
I agree about the hobby ... but humans are not like sheep ... they have to be introduced to things and overtime they gather interest ... I mean, our education system in India is fucked up too ... but that system tells us two contradictory things about technology/science/maths that it is tough and it is possible to understand it and that we need to go elsewhere to get it ... Yes we understand quite at an early age that comfortable life can be had if you are in science ...

However, this last idea is not accumulated by folks here in the US ... the kids try alternative schemes like gaming or athletics or something else ... but I would like to tell you that does not lead to the progress of science either ... yes one out of a million may end up making better toilet bowls to piss into but that is meager compared to our situation where we choose science more out of financial considerations than out of interest ... In the end, folks like us stand to gain by remaining in the field than being completely out of it ... And you cannot downgrade the level of technical sophistication that folks from 3rd world have obtained after coming here ... I see it here day in and day out ... We tend to go more miles, put in more hours, a lot of thinking and deliver better products ... This idea of maroing-ourselves cannot be obtained by kids here in the US, until they are forced to ...
Old August 24th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Proud LLKC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
I think you need to change your perspective here... a little bit. In US, kids in a class are mostly americans. Of all that based on percentage, you will agree that 20-30 percent of the class are bright... remaining is what you categorized as "they are dumb". Are you saying that this percent of bright students is very high in India

My opinion is that percentage of bright students in a class is always in the same range all around the world... unless... unless you only look at classes that are forecefully made of only bright students. So teachers' opinions around the world will always be the same... as you put it, "They are dumb"... doesn't matter whether it is US or any other country. It is the job of the teachers to change that... but if they keep saying "they are dumb" then that is a notification that the teachers have failed... not the students.

I think percentage-wise US has the same amount of bright kids as India. The problem with India is that all its bright kids make their way over here... what remains behind is who you see on the street today, supporting Anna
actually it is the mindset that parents imbibe in the child .. or is brought up in culture wherein everyone works hard ... example is of Germany and Russia ... two nations that have given the brightest of all ... these two countries had the worst on its citizens at several times in the history but what has happened is that these situations have produced the best among them (including folks in philosophy and what not) ... Yes you can say that they have produced Stalin and Hitler, but these are just two among the long line of scientists and philosophers ...

and who can forget, Israel ... this is the nation that is still producing the best ...

So it is not the problem with the teachers ... they can only teach what they have learnt ... it is the problem of the mindset ... this idea of a comfortable mindset that putting 2% effort is enough ... (and usually it is enough in countries like America) ... but that is not the case in India/Russia/Israel ...

Last edited by landyaBhai; August 24th, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old August 24th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai View Post
actually it is the mindset that parents imbibe in the child .. or is brought up in culture wherein everyone works hard ... example is of Germany and Russia ... two nations that have given the brightest of all ... these two countries had the worst on its citizens at several times in the history but what has happened is that these situations have produced the best among them (including folks in philosophy and what not) ... Yes you can say that they have produced Stalin and Hitler, but these are just two among the long line of scientists and philosophers ...

and who can forget, Israel ... this is the nation that is still producing the best ...

So it is not the problem with the teachers ... they can only teach what they have learnt ... it is the problem of the mindset ... this idea of a comfortable mindset that putting 2% effort is enough ... (and usually it is enough in countries like America) ... but that is not the case in India/Russia/Israel ...
In case of Germany...best scientists and engineers came BEFORE or around WW 2....not as many thereafter.

In case of Russia, it produced good theoretical scientists and theoretical engineers in good numbers...but relatively inefficient engineers. It takes a person with hands on experience to make a successful product...something that likes of Kaku have no idea about.
Take for example, AK 47 rifle...designed by a soldier-hands on "engineer" not a theoretical scientist like Sakharov or Landau

In fact, it is the problem of teachers....a teacher who actively engages in research or science/engineering related hobby can inspire children...whereas those who have a "hobby" of making money by way of private tuitions only generate money minded engineers that lack the initiative, imagination and creativity that comes with having engaged in hobby

Last edited by dhurandhar; August 24th, 2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old August 24th, 2011, 06:12 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agreed.

Individualism. Lone wolf heritage. Cowboy spirit. Americans and Australians have it. Rest of the world and specially us Indians do not even understand the concept due mainly to our culture and in manner in which we are taught from childhood to be part of the group.
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Senior eCharchan

GameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond reputeGameOn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
His statements for sure did not imply that...................................................
actually thats what the implication was...they can build a rocket but probably would make a mistake reverse counting it to lift off...

deprived countried such as India produce people capable and not neccessarily interested in doing things that would generally seem too complex/difficult to people of a privileged background..

examples of such deprived communities abound everywhere in the world - be they Jews, or refugees from Pakistan to India, Russian exiles...

pushing the limits of knowledge and effort is in my opinion the way to intellectual advantage...the US advantage is dissipating...simply because the incentive to push the frontiers is nowhere near what it was when middle class life did not include 3D LED tv's and Ipad 2's and Xbox 360's....

LB seemed to understand what I was trying to say...
Old August 25th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOn View Post
actually thats what the implication was...they can build a rocket but probably would make a mistake reverse counting it to lift off...

deprived countried such as India produce people capable and not neccessarily interested in doing things that would generally seem too complex/difficult to people of a privileged background..

examples of such deprived communities abound everywhere in the world - be they Jews, or refugees from Pakistan to India, Russian exiles...

pushing the limits of knowledge and effort is in my opinion the way to intellectual advantage...the US advantage is dissipating...simply because the incentive to push the frontiers is nowhere near what it was when middle class life did not include 3D LED tv's and Ipad 2's and Xbox 360's....

LB seemed to understand what I was trying to say...
You are grossly underestimating kids in USA.
Your line of thinking is the problem with ISRO and DRDO....one too many people capable of pushing the intellectual knowledge but not enough people able to actually build things that can work.

The intellectual development does not automatically imply technological progress...for example, some professors in IITs work on problems of internal ballistics in rocket engines or even aerothermodynamics of turbomachinery...but does that translate into India's indigenous capability for making gas turbine engines for aircrafts or cryogenic liquid rocket engines...HELL NO!