eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Indian Politics

Notices

Indian Politics Our national time-pass!

View Poll Results: Should Government spend money on teaching Astrology
No. Govt shouldnt. There are LOT MORE IMPORTANT issues like ..... 8 72.73%
Yes. Govt should spend money in teaching astrology 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 10th, 2001, 12:12 AM
Senior eCharchan

MehtaRahulC will become famous soon enoughMehtaRahulC will become famous soon enough
Should Government spend money in teaching Astrology?

My answer is NO

And in the middle of the problems like poverty, corruption, sagging courts, crumbling law and order, this is the worst new expense one can think of

-Rahul Mehta
Old October 10th, 2001, 12:55 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
Is religious education allowed at the university level in India? If yes, I have the same comment as the one you have for astrology.
Old October 10th, 2001, 01:39 AM
Senior eCharchan

MehtaRahulC will become famous soon enoughMehtaRahulC will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Netra
Is religious education allowed at the university level in India? If yes, I have the same comment as the one you have for astrology.
This is a tricky question.

1)The subject-list, syllabus etc is decided by Universities authorities such as Vice Chacellors, senate, head of the departments etc
2)It may need approval of UGC (University Grant Commission)
3)Univs and UGC DO NOT need approval of Education Minister and IAS officers of education department.

As such the Ministers and IAS officers of education ministers have zero control over UGC and Univ on academic matters. Univs and UGC are 'autonomous". As of today, MM Joshi says that he NEVER asked UGC/Univs to introduce astrology, they have decided themselves.

But in reality, autonomy is fraud. The members of UGC/Univ are appointed by Minister. And they all want re-appointment. So they obey Minister, in over 90% cases. There are some exceptions.

(And BJP is NOT the only one who uses/mis-uses this powers over Univs. CongI, CPM etc have done it to fullest extent)

So Netra, let me come back to yr question.

Is there relegious education in Univs in India.
Yes. Some univs have it, some dont.

The univs in West Bengal, under the influence of CPM have name-sake education of relegions. And some univ in UP/Bihar have many courses in relegions.

BJP has several "Sanskrit Universities" which specialize in teaching Sanskrits. Some of them churn out Sanskrit graduates

I am opposed to spending govt money on education of relegions, music, theatres, astrology etc.

As of today univs/schools are badly fund-starved.

For example, the Municipal Corporation of Ahmedabad DOES NOT have money to repair school-building which were damaged in Jan26 quake. The schools have been closed for past 6 months and are now gradually opening. Many schools in villages are yet to get black boards and benches. Amongst all this mess, is there any point in introducing a new subject like astro?

Pls focus on maths/sci/tech/law/bread/butter for the time being

-Rahul Mehta
(anti-astro)
Old October 10th, 2001, 01:53 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
RahulM, this one is off topic but connected with university education.

Sometime back, on another thread, Shringarey had suggested that we do away with subsidised education at the university level. The government could help the needy by giving low-interest or interest-free loans.

I think this is a good idea and students will start taking university education seriously. What do you say?

Another alternative, in my opinion, would be to make Medical and Engineering students work in rural areas for a period of 3 years. I would appreciate your views on this also.

Thanks
Old October 10th, 2001, 02:26 AM
Senior eCharchan

education is less important ....

Quote:
Sometime back, on another thread, Shringarey had suggested that we do away with subsidised education at the university level. The government could help the needy by giving low-interest or interest-free loans. I think this is a good idea and students will start taking university education seriously. What do you say?
No opinion, to be exact.

As per education problem, I have so far ONLY figured out how education of class I to class XII can be improved. I really didnt get much time to figure out how collage (after class XII) can be improved.

But still, I insist that education (be school or collage) is MUCH LESS IMPORTANT to the problem of poverty, corruption and sagging courts

and it is a fallacy that education removes mass-poverty. It DOES NOT.

In 2-3 days, I will post how school education can be improved for for following subjects

1)Maths
2)Science (PCM)
3)Engineering Skills
4)English - Vocab, Grammer and Sentence Translation
5)Hindi - Vocab, Grammer and Sentence Translation
6)Law - Indian Penal Code, Civil Law, Marriage Law
7)Other Languages - Vocab, Grammer and Sentence Translation
8)Geography - Landscape, People, Political / Local, District, State, India, world
9)Weapon-use : making/using of knives, guns, bombs, grenade lucnchers etc. I am NOT kidding. It is MUST that we teach weapon use at 9th Std.
10)Basic Health and Sports

Quote:
Another alternative, in my opinion, would be to make Medical and Engineering students work in rural areas for a period of 3 years. I would appreciate your views on this also.
Has failed.
The medical students ARE required to work in villages for 1 year. What happens is that they find a rural hospital where they know personally know the main doc. That resident doc would sign the certificate the he has worked in that hospital for 1 year.

As per engineering, most engineering students need to work at industrial sites. Therent many industrial sites in villages. (It there were so many industrial sites in village, we wd call it city, not village )

The ONLY way to ensure proper medical facility is to raise incomes of villagers so that practicing medicine is profitable there. Then doctors wd go there on their own.

And Quota Systems wd raise the incomes of villagers .... [here we go again .... ]

A side remark : Low interest loans or interest-free loan in general a bad form of subsidy. Such loans seldom get repaid. To collect the loan, the govt will have to file a law suit in civil court, And it takes years and years. Finally some out-of-court compromise will be made where party gets away by merely paying some 30%-50% of principal and no interest.

-Rahul Mehta
Old October 10th, 2001, 07:27 AM

Question Will it generate jobs?

If yes, then definitely teach this subject otherwise put it in the order of priorities.
Old October 10th, 2001, 08:30 AM
Senior eCharchan

Re: Will it generate jobs?

Quote:
Originally posted by eNRI
If yes, then definitely teach this subject otherwise put it in the order of priorities.
It MAY generate jobs but wdnt may not increase productivity of nation as a whole as such.

eg when u go to a mechanic, he will fix yr car. So teaching "how to fix cars" will raise his productivity. So he will fix cars faster then he used to do it before.

but when u send someone to astro-school, he will become astro and may find a job. but people who take his service, will not be benefitted in anyway.

So in the end, it is a waste.

-Rahul Mehta
Old October 10th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Senior eCharchan

aryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to behold
Be capitalistic.

If there are enough students who can and would like to learn astrology and make some profit for the univ. and themselves, why go against it?
but they all have to learn to live in the same box.
Old October 10th, 2001, 10:42 AM

Re: Re: Will it generate jobs?

Quote:
Originally posted by MehtaRahulC
It MAY generate jobs but wdnt may not increase productivity of nation as a whole as such.
wrong

astrologers bring peace to the depressed human mind by telling them that the future will be better than the present. Pretty much like massage therapist who claim to rejuvenate the body with a massage.
Old October 10th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by aryaputra
Be capitalistic. If there are enough students who can and would like to learn astrology and make some profit for the univ. and themselves, why go against it?
As of today, THERE ARE institutes who charge and teach Astro. NO ONE is stopping them. So if one wants to make money by teaching Astro, he is welcome.

The CURRENT proposal sponsored by UGC ( and MMJoshi) involves providing Astro classes in collages in highly subsidized ways. The Univs will only end up spending huge moneys, they wd NOT get anything in return.

-Rahul Mehta
Old October 10th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

aryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to beholdaryaputra is a splendid one to behold
Aha!

That is no good.
charge those suckers for the course!!
Old October 10th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

which astrology do u support?

Shrin, brahmchari and other pro-astro as well as non-anti-astro,

which brand of astro u recommend for univs?

1)Palmistry
2)Star
3)Palm of hands, legs, forehead ....
4)Furtune telling by glass crystals (gypsies)
5)cards
6)parrot picking the cards
7)witch doctors (shake and tell)
8)throwing rice grains
9)woodo magic

etc

My favorite are witch-doctots. The shake so vigorosly that I burst into laughter.

I wd luv to see professors teaching lab-courses in witch-doctor-ism.

-Rahul Mehta
Old October 10th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Senior eCharchan

Will it generate jobs?

Quote:
Originally posted by eNRI
wrong
astrologers bring peace to the depressed human mind by telling them that the future will be better than the present. Pretty much like massage therapist who claim to rejuvenate the body with a massage.
Should University Grant Commission and Govt of India teach body massage techniques in Univs ?

Astro may or may not give peace of mind. Is it MORE important than sci-tech/maths/english? We dont have enuf funds to teach sci/tech/maths/english in schools/collages. In such case, wd u recommend spending money in teaching in massage-techniques, Astro, back-rub, witch doctors, tarror card tellers.

How about univs teaching how to act like clowns in circuses . I think they are already doing that.

As per employment, today best employment is crime business. I can see courses like "Supari Administration", "Bhaigiri 101", "Art of Giving Dhamakies", "Managing Hatela Bhais" etc in univs.

-Rahul Mehta
Old October 10th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Senior eCharchan

massage?

what do you think physiotherapists are?

those suckers are "titled" as Dr., btw.
Old November 9th, 2001, 06:29 AM
Senior eCharchan

on the same topic, can anybody tell me why the govt should spend any money on "Market Research" subjects? How many market research(es) for introducing a product have been successful?
Is anybody in a position to bet that his market study/research is absolutely correct and will be a correct predictor of market trends?

I maybe wrong, but I feel Market research is as big a QUACK subject as Astrology is. Both cannot predict the future any better