eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Health

Notices

Health Discuss Health related topics...

Old May 26th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Question Red Bull energy drink contains cocaine? Germany thinks so.

It seems the German authorities have found traces of cocaine in the popular Red Bull energy drink. Its quite a popular brand in the US. I have tasted it once and absolutely disliked it. It has a strange taste and is just loaded with sugar and caffeine.

Quote:
Red Bull Cola could be banned in Germany - after traces of cocaine are found in it

Germany is considering a nationwide ban on the high-energy drink Red Bull Cola after traces of cocaine were found in it.

Authorities in the states of Hesse and North-Rhine Westphalia have ordered retailers to stop selling the beverage - which is available in the UK.

The consumer ministries in the two states confirmed they had ordered retailers to pull the drink off their shelves after a food safety institute in North-Rhine Westphalia found the drug in samples.

'The institute examined Red Bull Cola in an elaborate chemical process and found traces of cocaine,' said Bernhard Kuehnle, head of the food safety department at the federal ministry for consumer protection.

Authorities said the cocaine levels do not pose a health threat but are not permitted in foodstuffs.

The investigation found the drink to contain a de-cocainized extract of coca leaf in the drink.

That means the drink cannot be classified as a foodstuff but as a narcotic and needs a special licence, authorities said.

Giant German retail group Rewe had already issued orders to remove the fizzy drink from its shops. Wilhelm Deitermann, spokesman for the North-Rhine Westphalia consumer ministry said he expected most if not all - other German states to follow suit and ban the drink.

Red Bull Cola has protested the action. 'De-cocainized extract of coca leaf is used worldwide in foods as a natural flavouring,' said a spokesman.

The company added that Red Bull Cola as well as other food that contains coca leaf extract is considered safe in the EU as well as in the US.

The more popular Red Bull, dubbed the 'clubbers' drink,' is often mixed with vodka. It contains caffeine, vitamins, and sugar which, the company claims, kick-starts the body's metabolism and keeps people alert.

LINK
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:11 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Red Bull energy drink contains cocaine? Germany thinks so.

aeeela , i and my friend regularly drink redbull whenever we visit a discotheque. she gets enormously thirsty because of losing sweat while dancing and drinks 5 or 6 cans while i drink 2 or 3 cans at least, but nothing happens to us.
sometimes people make a fuss over nothing........
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
aeeela , i and my friend regularly drink redbull whenever we visit a discotheque. she gets enormously thirsty because of losing sweat while dancing and drinks 5 or 6 cans while i drink 2 or 3 cans at least, but nothing happens to us.
You are a doc, right? What does high dosage of sugar and caffeine do to your body?

I can understand the regular cup of coffee which has certain amount of caffeine, but imagine being bombarded with very high levels of caffeine and then sugar too!
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:45 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
You are a doc, right? What does high dosage of sugar and caffeine do to your body?

I can understand the regular cup of coffee which has certain amount of caffeine, but imagine being bombarded with very high levels of caffeine and then sugar too!
caffeine is a stimulant and improves alertness .drowsiness goes away and person can remain awake for long periods without feeling sleepy.person feels more energetic.

more the caffeine more the effects.high dose caffeine means you cant sleep even when you eventually want to.

however high dose caffeine causes acidity,especially burning in the stomach.

sugar is fine for high energy activity as it gives glucose which is needed for it.
temporary intake of high amount sugar does not damage the body.

but diabetics beware......it will lead to hyperglycemic coma.
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
caffeine is a stimulant and improves alertness .drowsiness goes away and person can remain awake for long periods without feeling sleepy.person feels more energetic.

more the caffeine more the effects.high dose caffeine means you cant sleep even when you eventually want to.

however high dose caffeine causes acidity,especially burning in the stomach.

sugar is fine for high energy activity as it gives glucose which is needed for it.
temporary intake of high amount sugar does not damage the body.

but diabetics beware......it will lead to hyperglycemic coma.
And what about the additives here like cocoa lead extract? All such additives must be causing some harm in the long run. What say doc?

And if you are talking of sugar, then tell me about effects of it on your pancreas. I mean just because you are working it out by dancing in the discotheque, do you think pancreas can bear this assault of very high doses of sugar?

I am not a doctor but I sort of think its like a car engine. You can revv it up very quickly at very high RPMs and go beyond the safety limit and then bring it down quickly, but it surely damages the piston and piston rings in the long run.
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Exclamation Re: Red Bull energy drink contains cocaine? Germany thinks so.

Quote:
Please check these links before you drink your next can of Red Bull.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1435409.stm

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/...rgy.drinks.02/

Also read this

Quote:
Red Bull Energy Drink and Its Side Effects

Consumers are now interested in the composition and effects of what they consume. As with most things in life, moderation is the key to consuming the Red Bull energy drink. Red Bull energy drink side effects become a problem in cases where a consumer is drinking the Red Bull energy drink in excess, or fails to combine their consumption of the Red Bull energy drink with an adequate daily diet.

The Red Bull energy drink side effects are a combination of the mixing of the herbs contained within the Red Bull energy drink with other substances, or medications. Although the herbs contained within the Red Bull energy drink are not enough to cause difficulties within themselves, they can prove harmful when combined with a prescribed medication.

The most common prescriptions to cause Red Bull energy drink side effects are acne prescriptions and antibiotic prescriptions. Normally, your doctor will warn you of what to avoid while you are taking your medication, however, Red Bull energy drink side effects are only now being recognized.

Some of the herbs and vitamins that are included in energy drinks include, ginseng, gingko, biloba, echinacea and Vitamin B. In energy drinks, these herbs and vitamins are usually said to have health benefits, which encourages people to drink in excess of what they otherwise should. If consumed in excess with other medications, these herbs and vitamins can be potentially harmful.

Red Bull energy drink contains both herbs and vitamins. Vitamins should only be taken to substitite a vitamin deficency in the body, or during times when you are undergoing laots of physical training where the body consumes more vitamins, fats and carbohydrates.

Red Bull energy drink contains sugar, taurine, glucuronolactone, B-complex vitamins and caffeine. Although Vitamin B is important for the human body to help maintain an effective defence system in order to prevent disease, it is usually only required if a person is ill, or deficient in that particular vitamin.

Overall, the Red Bull energy drink should be consumed in moderation and more than one, or two drinks a day is not recommended. The risks posed through high consumption of Red Bull include the raising of the energy levels within the body to dangerous proportions, medical complications and allergic reactions.

LINK
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For a doctor ... you sure like to live life on the edge. You are not a teenager ... please correct me. 5 or 6 cans ... do you go to discotheque to sweat a little or to load yourself with tofu? More like denial of an addiction ... all you need is an excuse ... discotheque is an excuse good enough.

I drink coffee a lot ... raw coffee ... an hour before sleep ... sometimes I sleep like baby and other times cant ... depending.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever I drink redbull (never tried drinking more than 1 at a time), I go super hyper. Like I do when I eat a big slice of chocolate cake first thing in the morning with coffee.

I dont like its taste at all to drink more than one at a time.
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi View Post
For a doctor ... you sure like to live life on the edge. You are not a teenager ... please correct me. 5 or 6 cans ... do you go to discotheque to sweat a little or to load yourself with tofu? More like denial of an addiction ... all you need is an excuse ... discotheque is an excuse good enough.

I drink coffee a lot ... raw coffee ... an hour before sleep ... sometimes I sleep like baby and other times cant ... depending.
look i did not even know about the contents of the drink till today.

my friend does not allow me to drink alcohol in the disco nor does she drink herself because shes scared of getting drunk in the disco.

we thought red bull is safe till today.

we dance continueosly for aroud five hours in the jam packed atmosphere.creates a lot of sweat. so red bull we drink to satisfy our thirst really.

but nothing ever has happened to me or her. we get no kick or anything...are in complete control of our senses.

and we go primarily to dance not to get a high or anything.
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:43 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
And what about the additives here like cocoa lead extract? All such additives must be causing some harm in the long run. What say doc?

And if you are talking of sugar, then tell me about effects of it on your pancreas. I mean just because you are working it out by dancing in the discotheque, do you think pancreas can bear this assault of very high doses of sugar?

I am not a doctor but I sort of think its like a car engine. You can revv it up very quickly at very high RPMs and go beyond the safety limit and then bring it down quickly, but it surely damages the piston and piston rings in the long run.
i did not know about the cocoa lead extract.honestly.

lot of people live their lives eating meetha food without affecting their pancreas.it produces the amount of insulin requred to metabolise the sugar.

however for those who are diabetes prone ( its in the genes ) it can bring quicker onset of diabetes.

of course overeating meetha food will cause excess cholesterol which can lead to a heart attack, but thats another matter.
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:

my friend does not allow me to drink alcohol in the disco nor does she drink herself because shes scared of getting drunk in the disco.

we dance continueosly for aroud five hours in the jam packed atmosphere.creates a lot of sweat. so red bull we drink to satisfy our thirst really.

but nothing ever has happened to me or her. we get no kick or anything...are in complete control of our senses.

I think a lemonade or some other simple aerated beverage like a Diet Coke might be a better alternative to Red Bull.

You are a doc. Just because "nothing happened to us" dont be so cool about it. If a layman was saying this I would be ok, but coming from a doctor???

Anyway, its your choice and your health. Upto you totally.
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:44 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

5 hours of non-stop dancing is lot of dancing ... even in my years of youth I could hardly dance over couple of hours with breaks included. But it was not the dancing which tired us ... rather ... noise and the crowd.

Most refreshing drink for me is plain soda water with lot of crushed ice. I can drink a liter or two in one sitting. Wonderful feeling to pass urine good enough to be bottled as natural spring water.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi View Post
5 hours of non-stop dancing is lot of dancing ... even in my years of youth I could hardly dance over couple of hours with breaks included. But it was not the dancing which tired us ... rather ... noise and the crowd.

it seems you danced in rath yatras and ganpati visarjans..good idea..entertainment bhi,workout bhi aur bhagwan kaa ashirwaad bhi.no wonder they say yogi is a wise man

Most refreshing drink for me is plain soda water with lot of crushed ice. I can drink a liter or two in one sitting. Wonderful feeling to pass urine good enough to be bottled as natural spring water.

yogiji you are forgeting something here due to your old age...soda+ice+........???
yogibaba kee jay!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Hyderabad Wala !!!!

BABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I am not sure if u are saying the truth, but most of these energy drinks have a disclaimer saying that more than 3 drinks/day is injurious to health.

I believe it is also mentioned on red bull.

Quote:
LINK
Well just 3 16 ounce cans is 6 servings. That is 156g of sugar, 660 calories, and 480mg of caffeine. Plus a ton of total overall stimulants.

That is a lot of sugar. It will keep you hyper all day and cause you to crash something serious. It is equal to or less than the sugar in sodas and many people drink 6 servings or more. So all of the problems that they have form too much sugar you will have too.

660 calories is a lot in a day. As long as you burn off as many calories then you take in then you won't gain wait. But that is hard when 660 is from drinks. Again soda has as many or more. So you would suffer from the same problems as high soda drinkers would. You would most likely gain weight. That would then lead to heart disease and diabetes.

480mg of caffeine a day is too much too. The maximum safe level fo caffeine we should consume in a day is 300mg. Short term use of caffeine dehydrates us and depletes our bodies of calcium and B vitamins. This can give us sleeping problems, headaches and other aches and pains too. Long term use of too much caffeine causes kidney problems, skin problems, heart problems and problems with other organs too.

Then the overall total amount of stimulants is simply too much with 6 servings. Red Bull recommends only 1 to 2 servings a day. The 2nd largest selling energy drink, which is the 1st healthy energy drink, XS Energy also suggests having 1 a day and recommends against having more than 2 a day. Even though XS is healthy and has 3 versions that are caffeine free it is because of the over all stimulants in it that makers recommend no more than 2 even though the caffeine is below the maximum safe daily limit. I cannot beleive that Monster says no more than 3 as that is simply way more than any other responsible energy drink maker would recommend.
Source(s):
RCA

from the same link

It Causes Cardiac Disrythmias And Could Lead To Cardiac Arrest Or Severe Heart Attacks. I Have Once Had A Patient Who Had A Severe History Of Seizure After Consuming 6-8 Red Bulls. I Would Not Advise You To Drink That Many In A 36-48 Hour Period It Could Cause A Permanent History Of Cardiac Problems And Other Medical Issues.
An oft quoted Gandhian phrase is that if all were to follow an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth, then the world would go blind. The counter to that is that if only some follow this and others don't then it is the non-violent who would go blind while the rogues will rule the world.

Last edited by BABU_HYDERABADI; May 27th, 2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABU_HYDERABADI View Post
I am not sure if u are saying the truth, but most of these energy drinks have a disclaimer saying that more than 3 drinks/day is injurious to health.

I believe it is also mentioned on red bull.
I think all these energy drinks have come into India quite recently. And you know how it is with our urban youth - If the West does it then we must do it too.

Not all things from the West are bad, infact many things are good. But energy drinks? When I was in India I too went to clubs. Yes I used to get tired too. But never had any energy drinks. Well there were none available back then.

But even here, some folks I know will take that 5-Hour Energy drink which claims to have no sugar and only vitamin B. Whatever.. I wont every try it.

I have started working out in the gym quite regularly and under guidance of a personal trainer. I do feel very very tired at times after a work out. So to get back some energy I count out 2 cashews, 2 almonds and 3 walnuts. Thats my energy combo!