eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old October 2nd, 2011, 09:07 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation You like poppy seeds in your food? Dont go to Dubai lest you get thrown in jail.

Okay I got this in my Inbox and thought it must be one of those emails which warn you about something which makes no sense really and is the usual internet hoax.

But I did check online and found that this warning is definitely a valid one. And hey, more than an official reason, you should realize that anything that has to do with the Middle East has no real logic, so its best to be prepared and extra cautious.

Quote:

Subject: URGENT: A very very serious warning ..travelling to UAE & Other Gulf Countries...regarding Khas Khas, also known as poppy seeds

Dear Friends,

Yesterday only I came to know of a case from a friend of mine which is very scary. One of his friends was traveling to UK via Dubai. Unfortunately he was carrying a packet of Khas Khas which is a commonly used spice in some Indian curries and sweets. Khas Khas is also known as poppy seed which can be sprouted to grow narcotics (afeem etc.).

This innocent person did not know that recently the laws in UAE and other Gulf countries have been revised and carrying Khas Khas is punishable with minimum 20 years of imprisonment or even worse with death penalty. Currently, the person is in a jail in Dubai for the last two weeks. His friends are frantically trying hard for his release but are finding that this has become a very very serious case. Lawyers are asking huge fees amounting to AED 100,000 even to appear in the court to plead for his innocence.

Please forward this email to all you know specially in India. They should know the seriousness of this matter and should never ever carry even minutest quantities of the following items when traveling to Gulf countries:

1. Khas Khas whether raw, roasted or cooked.
2. Paan
3. Betel nut (supari and its products, e.g. Paan Parag etc.)

The penalties are very severe and it could destroy the life of an innocent person.

Here are some links which validate this warning.

LINK 1

LINK 2
Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:26 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You like poppy seeds in your food? Dont go to Dubai lest you get thrown in jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Okay I got this in my Inbox and thought it must be one of those emails which warn you about something which makes no sense really and is the usual internet hoax.

But I did check online and found that this warning is definitely a valid one. And hey, more than an official reason, you should realize that anything that has to do with the Middle East has no real logic, so its best to be prepared and extra cautious.

LINK 1

LINK 2
wow, i did not know that. my MIL packs paan's (several) each and every time we come back to US . its a different story that it goes bad and we have to discard it anyway

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:29 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You like poppy seeds in your food? Dont go to Dubai lest you get thrown in jail.

Answer me this, why would you want to go to these places first of all

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old October 3rd, 2011, 01:42 PM
Proud LLKC member

landyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond reputelandyaBhai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
Answer me this, why would you want to go to these places first of all
eggzhacktly ... no more Middle Eastern Airlines however cheap they may be for a trip to India and back ...
Old October 3rd, 2011, 02:01 PM
Senior eCharchan

Premi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond reputePremi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyaBhai View Post
eggzhacktly ... no more Middle Eastern Airlines however cheap they may be for a trip to India and back ...
except Emirates.

high-mile club.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premi View Post
except Emirates.

high-mile club.
Premi, you couldnt find a dupe of this post?? I think this story has been doing the rounds for a few years now, no?
Old October 3rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post

LINK 1

LINK 2

This goes true for Singapore as well. They do not allow entry of poppy seeds.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 03:35 PM

badriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond reputebadriprasad has a reputation beyond repute

Tests have been fine tuned, otherwise many a sportspeople have been disqualified for no other reason but because they had poppy seed buns for breakfast.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

My friend has traveled to India via Emirates airlines from SFO. He said that though the airline is really good vis-a-vis service and food, the first leg of the journey from SFO to Dubai airport is like 15 plus hours and just becomes too tiring. Usually if you fly via Pacific route, your first leg is about 13 hours max. 15 can be a stretch.

And yes, why fly via any Middle Eastern state where they follow cavemen logic and almost no laws.
Old October 4th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Junior eCharchan

gIndian is on a distinguished road

There is no problem if you are transiting through Dubai. Only if you disembark in Dubai, your baggages is checked. It is true that Khas Khas, which we use in Indian food preparations is considered an ingredient in drug making and hence banned in UAE.
Old October 4th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Senior eCharchan

milanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond reputemilanfanabhi has a reputation beyond repute

yes,last time i was having both pan and khus khus when i was going to dubai.they made me threw it and also fill me some stupid form.My cousin needed khus khus for food and it wasnt available in markets,so she asked me to bring but none of us knew its illegal over there..infact i didnt know khuskhus are poppy seeds
after i came back i tried to plant them in a "gamla" ,unsuccessfully
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:14 PM
We change, values don't

2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanfanabhi View Post
after i came back i tried to plant them in a "gamla" ,unsuccessfully
The poppy seeds that are commercially available as spices are roasted.
Old October 5th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Bandook Singh

deshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond reputedeshpremi has a reputation beyond repute

Add to the list "Hing Powder". Hing (Asfoetida) is commonly used in Indian cooking.

Years ago when I used to live in Japan, I was carrying a small plastic bottle full of hing powder in my suitcase. I was flying Asiana airlines and had to transit thru Seoul, where I had planned on taking a 3 day break. When I was picking up my suitcase from the baggage belt, a cop with a dog happened to be there. The doggy sniffed my suitcase and went nuts.. ballistic.. kept barking like mad. Well I was asked to accompany the cop to an interview room where they made me open my baggage, in which they found a plastic bottle of whitish powder......

Well I would have surely been locked up, but luck favoured me. The cops with their minimal english kept harassing me, I kept insisting that its used for cooking. During this ruckus, one of the senior cops got a call on his walkie talkie and they all suddenly got up and started getting ready to move out. When I asked whats happening, they said the Indian Ambassador to Korea is coming to the airport to catch a flight and they need to be around his checkin gate. This gave me an idea. I said what if somebody from the Indian embassy staff assures you that the white powder I have is actually used for cooking, will you let me go. They thought over it a bit and agreed. So I was left to sit in the office with a junior cop to ensure that I dont run away. About an hour later they came back with an officer from the Indian embassy who had come to see off the ambassador. He heard the whole story and finally assured them that it was indeed used in cooking... and finally I was allowed to go. As a farewell gift I gave the bottle of Hing to the cops.
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:58 AM
Junior eCharchan

pavadatt3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIndian View Post
There is no problem if you are transiting through Dubai. Only if you disembark in Dubai, your baggages is checked. It is true that Khas Khas, which we use in Indian food preparations is considered an ingredient in drug making and hence banned in UAE.
I am travelling to SFO via dubai... planning to take betelnut (supari) in my checked in bag...if i through check in from bangalore to SFO i hope it will not be issue in Dubai... can any one cofirm if this is ok. Thanks
Old July 8th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Senior eCharchan

Mukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond reputeMukesh has a reputation beyond repute

Baggage is checked by airport security only at airport of departure and arrival (not while you are in transit). A small quantity of supari should not be a problem in checked in baggage.