eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old August 15th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any dog owners here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
@28Virgo, thank you.
Thing is she is 7 months old pup and she is extremely big for her age. I understand the breed in question can go up to 100 pounds. It was a joint decision to bring her home. She was literally living with meth-heads, caged up all day.
She is crate trained (phew) but she is yet to be potty trained. In 3 days, she only peed twice outside and rest of the time itís at home. I am taking her out for walks but I didnít get any obedience training for her yet. I need to book one ASAP. This morning, I got mortally scared Virgo. I myself am petite and I took her for a walk at 4:30 AM. Itís like she is dragging me around. She must be about 50 pounds now. Unfortunately she saw a bunny. She attempted to take off after that bunny. I tighten the grip on leash and hold her. She turned around and she started making some noise. I donít know if it was aggressive or disappointed thing or what. I thought if I pull her further, she is going to bite me....
By then it was 45 mins. She didnít do her business. As soon as we came in, she peed and pooed. I clean it up. Then she started jumping on me. Again, I wasnít sure if itís out of love. She didnít growl but when I tried to touch her head in an attempt to calm her down, she panicked. Maybe she was abused in the past? I donít know...by then I was so scared. I put her in the crate and with shivering hands made myself some coffee. Hubby came down. I ran to the washroom and started sobbing...I donít want him to see me like that.

Please tell me this gets better...please. I am feeling so overwhelmed and lost. I want this to work.
Aashika, not to worry .. It only gets better. I can understand you being overwhelmed and lost and this is very common amongst first time pet owners. One commendable thing that you have done is adopting a rescue pet instead of purchasing from a breeder .. These poor little babies have been neglected/abused and need a tender loving/caring family the most. My next dog is going to be a rescue for sure (My wife and kids have already started pestering me to get a 2nd dog )

Regarding potty/pee training, it seems both of you are working professionals so it might be difficult on weekdays but on weekends, make sure to take her out every 30-45 minutes regardless of whether she does her business or not. if she does, reward her with a treat and a cue word (remember pavlov's dog experiment ) like "good girl" or something.. slowly she will start associating that her behavior is being rewarded and it shall become a habit. She has been crated too long and needs to learn afresh. Big dogs need more exercise and make sure she is walked atleast 30-45 minutes twice a day. I know its a pain sometimes especially if the dog is rambunctious but with obedience training, it will get better. You can enroll her for basic obedience training in the nearby PetSmart/Petco (I think it costs around $120). I have a big dog (90 pounds and will weigh more if we don't watch his diet ) and we still sometimes joke about Who is walking whom .. regarding the bunny episode, its very common. Usually when my dog sees a squirrel or a neighborhood cat he gets inquisitive too and wants to explore further and when restrained, whimpers (in a complaining kind of way) so don't worry too much about it.. as far as her being averse to the touch, you guessed it right. she has trust issues (being neglected/abused) but will slowly and surely warm up to you and will be asking for belly rubs soon ..

One thing I would suggest is to make friends with neighborhood pet owners. Usually they are very supportive and will for sure provide tips and suggestions for your everyday queries.

Since you got her from a rescue shelter, chances are that she is already spayed (almost all shelters spay and neuter animals). so its one less thing to worry about. if not, make sure she has at least 2-3 menstrual periods before you get her spayed.

I know it sounds a bit clichť but all I can say is don't give up too soon. It can get a bit too much to handle initially but they bring so much joy that its all worth it!
Old August 15th, 2018, 09:20 AM
Senior eCharchan

28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute28virgo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And oh, vet said he sees some streaks of wolf and Cayote in her...
Her immediate mommmy was Pyr and Mountain Cur though.i hope you wonít judge me for this. I just saw a dog who needed a home. We had been thinking about this and it felt like this is it.
Dogs are grey wolves share the same DNA (99.9%) .. Since she is not a pure breed, it very common to find many streaks in a rescue pet.
Old August 15th, 2018, 09:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
I have heard that the reward system works for potty. I will buy treats. Today is day 3 of her with us. She has never been to a vet. We got her vaccinated today and she seems drowsy.

What should I do? Is obedience training the way to go? Because she is going to overpower me in terms of physical strength in the next year. I am going to stay the same.
I am trying to set a routine.
Tell me if this sounds ok to you:
Walk for 30-45 mins at 4:30 AM (we leave Home at 6). Keep her in crate
11 Am: dog walker comes and takes her for 45 min walk (another 15 mins to feed and water). Leave her in crate.
5 PM I get home. Walk.
9 PM another walk and she goes in the crate at 10.

This is 10 days in a month where hubby and I have 12 hour schedule. Other 20 days we have better schedules and she will be in crate only 4-5 hours a day.
You are walking her a lot. That's a good thing. Once she gets domesticated, you wont need to crate her anymore. 4-5 hrs crate time is just fine.. Once she gets accustomed to your schedules, she wont have any issues with that.
Old August 15th, 2018, 01:59 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Old August 15th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Senior eCharchan

https://imgur.com/rhPx06g

my baby!
Old August 15th, 2018, 05:22 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28virgo View Post
How are dogs safe in cars without seatbelts.
Old August 15th, 2018, 05:24 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Reminded me of this
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE
Old August 16th, 2018, 05:21 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Aashika, not to worry .. It only gets better. I can understand you being overwhelmed and lost and this is very common amongst first time pet owners.

One thing I would suggest is to make friends with neighborhood pet owners. Usually they are very supportive and will for sure provide tips and suggestions for your everyday queries.

Since you got her from a rescue shelter, chances are that she is already spayed (almost all shelters spay and neuter animals). so its one less thing to worry about. if not, make sure she has at least 2-3 menstrual periods before you get her spayed.

I know it sounds a bit clichť but all I can say is don't give up too soon. It can get a bit too much to handle initially but they bring so much joy that its all worth it!
Thank you! its comforting to know that it will get better.
You know what happened (of course you dont...I should stop starting a sentence this way), The dog walker bailed yesterday with practically no notice. I left work early and rushed home and she seemed ok. Though its not going to be made a practise, it was good to know she will be ok one off days if she stays in crate longer. I have that cylindrical thing where I put in some treats and peanut butter in her crate.
I still dont have luck with pee. We went for a walk this morning and upon return, she went at home. It was only a 2 block walk this morning. 1 bunny and 1 squirrel is all it took for me to reach a point of return. I left her in the fenced yard with the long cable though. Hopefully one day I wont even need the cable.
Quote:
You are walking her a lot. That's a good thing. Once she gets domesticated, you wont need to crate her anymore. 4-5 hrs crate time is just fine.. Once she gets accustomed to your schedules, she wont have any issues with that.
You know I haven been talking to a lot of people and a lot of them seem to have very different views on how long a dog can stay in the crate. I have seen 2 hours to 13 hour range. 13 hour range is a little less but people in airline industry seem to think dogs get used to it. and my co-worker (around 60 years) has been insisting that all his life he is used to letting the dogs stay the 10 hour work day with no issues. However, one common thing is that, they all agree that once we know the dog wont hurt herself or chew off the house, its safe to leave her in the family room which child gates up (i may need bigger gates). That way, her quality of life will increase 10 fold.
Old August 16th, 2018, 05:22 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mine seems to eat a lot. I mean, going by the label, i should not feed her more than 3 cups a day. She is asking for more. It gets to 5 cups easily. I should stop right?
Also, have you introduced home cooked food yet?

PS: On a lighter note, I was reading up on Pyr breed. It said LGD (My mind immediately panicked...is my pup...?! really?! and then I figured out it means Livestock Guard Dogs!)

Last edited by Aashika; August 16th, 2018 at 05:35 AM.
Old August 16th, 2018, 05:23 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Oh he is so cute! I will share the picture of mine this evening from home.
Old August 16th, 2018, 09:09 AM
Senior eCharchan

HarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant futureHarHarMahaDev has a brilliant future

Quote:
You will scare Sarv_shakti by posting such pics.
Old August 16th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarHarMahaDev View Post
You will scare Sarv_shakti by posting such pics.
good one.
Old August 16th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Mine seems to eat a lot. I mean, going by the label, i should not feed her more than 3 cups a day. She is asking for more. It gets to 5 cups easily. I should stop right?
Also, have you introduced home cooked food yet?

PS: On a lighter note, I was reading up on Pyr breed. It said LGD (My mind immediately panicked...is my pup...?! really?! and then I figured out it means Livestock Guard Dogs!)
5 cups is a tad too much! Anyways, your vet will help you decide the amount to feed. Yes, my dog loves home cooked stuff. His favorite is Poli (roti) .. we also give him Salmon and boiled chicken. However his primary food still remains his kibble. we use a brand called Natural Balance.. Dogs need their Protein. I see a lot of desis feeding their dogs home cooked food only and that's a wrong thing to do in my opinion. They need the necessary nutrients in dog food.
Old August 16th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
5 cups is a tad too much! Anyways, your vet will help you decide the amount to feed. Yes, my dog loves home cooked stuff. His favorite is Poli (roti) .. we also give him Salmon and boiled chicken. However his primary food still remains his kibble. we use a brand called Natural Balance.. Dogs need their Protein. I see a lot of desis feeding their dogs home cooked food only and that's a wrong thing to do in my opinion. They need the necessary nutrients in dog food.
Yes, i have been educating myself on this. The nutrition they seem to need is 50% protein and rest can be something else. And a lot of people seem to advocate raw food (I am not going that route).
Right now its just kibble for my pup but I am exploring the food world.
Old August 16th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That's beautiful Dog.