eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

Old November 12th, 2002, 11:08 PM
Senior eCharchan

Zen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to all
I was so freaking sure Bill was upto something, Thanks to cool jouranlism-I GOT STUFF

Bill Gates is saving India

From Linux, just as we predicted

By Egan Orion: Monday 11 November 2002, 07:27

AN ARTICLE APPEARING in Monday's New York Times reveals that Bill Gates -- fresh from ducking any effective Antitrust remedies with the collusion of a US Administration that never met a monopoly it didn't like -- is starting a four-day tour to save India from Linux.
Gates' trip appears to be a reprise of his efforts to head off a threat of Open Source adoption by the government of Peru last summer. In that instance also, he personally visited the country: he made a "donation" of $550,000 in software and services to keep Peru as a Vole customer.

Microsoft must have whispered in Bush's shell-like too, because the US Ambassador to Peru intervened as well. In Peru, that combination of a public display of generosity and diplomatic bluster might be working -- their program is apparently stalled in the Peruvian congress. An account of that series of events and related information can be found here.

India's another case of a poor country looking to Open Source software, in particular Linux, as an alternative to vendor lock-in and the higher costs of Microsoft's products. We covered the Indian government's bold decision to adopt Open Source software throughout the country earlier here.

At the end of that article we predicted that a Microsoft executive would soon be getting on a plane to New Delhi. It's a significant measure of the importance Gates attaches to India's burgeoning software development and service sector that he's going himself rather than send a minion.

We told you so. The only questions now are how much public (and maybe, uh... private) generosity His Billness thinks it's worth to swing India, and whether the US Ambassador to India already has blustering orders.

Link here

Second artical from files :

India moving to Linux

It's simply economics

By Egan Orion: Thursday 10 October 2002, 08:45

INDIA'S GOVERNMENT Department of Information Technology has announced a sweeping initiative to move the entire country to Linux as its "platform of choice" in place of higher cost 'proprietary' software, reports the India Times subsidiary Economic Times.
The plan is to establish Linux in Indian academic institutions as well as throughout central and state government offices. India's business sector also likely to move to Linux for its lower costs and to employ the Linux skills developed in the large Indian IT workforce.

As a developing country, India feels the bite of expensive proprietary software licenses much more acutely than other countries with mature economies. Enforcing intellectual property rights -- as India has pledged to do -- will spur its takeup of Linux open source software.

India also doesn't want to be caught napping while mainland China builds up formidable IT infrastructure, solutions, and services. It's big neighbour also embraced Linux with a similaR government initiative.

Although China's interest in Linux is partially motivated by security concerns, India's decision seems to be based upon simple economics.

Two predictions: (1) Pakistan will soon adopt Linux too (and if India chooses KDE, Pakistan will choose Gnome, and vice versa), and (2) some executive at Microsoft will be buying a plane ticket to New Delhi, sharpish.

The link

Incradible research and class articals - guys I am surprised at my own intuition this time. No actually, to be politically correct, I have learnt not to trust the white skin no metters how big the donations are!
Old November 12th, 2002, 11:31 PM
Senior eCharchan

Zen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to allZen is a name known to all
Talking Re: I was so freaking sure Bill was upto something, Thanks to cool jouranlism-I GOT STUFF

Quote:
Artical says ...
At the end of that article we predicted that a Microsoft executive would soon be getting on a plane to New Delhi. It's a significant measure of the importance Gates attaches to India's burgeoning software development and service sector that he's going himself rather than send a minion.

We told you so. The only questions now are how much public (and maybe, uh... private) generosity His Billness thinks it's worth to swing India, and whether the US Ambassador to India already has blustering orders.
This is so Interesting .... so common sense!! So Indian Government fell in love with Microsoft over night and lo, we windows flying its flag all over government agencies ... bye bye linux, bye bye open source!! What the FUKC!!
Old November 12th, 2002, 11:38 PM
Senior eCharchan

Wink

It sure is a lot of money ... on the same time they can get many of the government contracts - Once you get government contracts its like owning a bank. India is still paying lease for some railway lines made by some British companies. These railway lines were built when India was British colony... Same will happen for microsoft based applications - keep buying licenses and keep paying ... keep paying ... keep paying!! This can get so Fukced up!!
Old November 13th, 2002, 12:25 AM
Senior eCharchan

Wink

Microsoft is monopolizing the market. Their product are to be used as is - unlike linux where you get the source code itself and create your own flavor. There are many other legal and technical bindings other than the pricing issue. It will take a lawyer to explain all the catch points. An application developed on microft plateform can never be plateform independent in a true sense. It about killing the competition by providing the product for free, ultimate goal is to capture the market share so the Microsoft can control the market in long run.

Last edited by Zen; November 13th, 2002 at 12:30 AM.
Old November 13th, 2002, 01:04 AM
the voice of reason

vakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the roughvakil sahib is a jewel in the rough
so what's new? as long as microsoft continues to ward off the anti trust legislation in the US it will continue, in one way or another, to monopolise the market.

if microsoft fails in america it can still hold on to most of it's market share by monopolising the international markets. hence, bill's jaunts to Peru and India.

i personally don't have an axe to grind against microsoft. i am thankful to microsoft for bringing the world of computers into my home. without windows most of us would not now be on the internet.

but this wish to rule the world is sick. i understand why microsoft is doing it- every business wants to protect and enhance it's position, but to go out and eat the whole world is not acceptable.

it is like an insidious form of colonisation.
Old November 13th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Banned

CYBERIAN is on a distinguished road
where r u?

Ercha Pai where r u?
Old November 13th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
I find nothing wrong in Bill Gates

trying to promote his products in India. He has a business and has a right to promote it.

Why are we getting worke up over Bill's latest moves in India?

The SOFTWARE INDUSTRY AND PROWESS that Indian government takes so much pride in is really PRIVATE SECTOR and not a Givernment mismanaged PSU.

Do you think that even if Indian govt. installs Windows in Govt. offices, that Linux will stop? Do you think Indian govt. offices have so much money to keep upgrading to newer versions of Microsoft products?

This is all Publci relations and Business promotion by Bill Gates.. Yeah, let him give donaations to India and invest more.. Better for our software related part of the economy. I dont think this will suddenly or gradually stop Linux from being adopted by the software industry or the government.

One more factor in favour of Linux is cost. One thing that all politicians understand is cutting budgets and lining their own pockets. So do you think they will like to spend money on Windows related products, when they can just as easily say they spent millions of rupees for MIcrosoft products but in reality just ask Linux to be used but show it as Windows on the govt. books.
Old November 13th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Agree with what charcha said.

What do you think Bill gates is?? Some missionary or some charity worker??

If he wants to help India in return for some business benefits, then what's wrong? Much much better than most of the leaders (very Indian and patriotic) who actually steal from Indians and s(crew them as well.

You guys are never pleased, are you?
Old November 13th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
As anti microsoft I am.. (I am myself macro hard).. and as much as I dispise bill gates!! I was all admiration for him. What he did is nothing unethical or anything. He wants to promote his product fine.. but he did not tie it to his contributions a. la.. ok I give you 400M in aid for AIDS cure or another 20M for education and another 2000Crore for seting up industry there.

Who cares what his agenda or bottom line is.. as long as he is investing without an if then else clause I think he is doing a service to our country. And expecting return for service is not unethical its very logical and only a fool would say ok here is the $$$ keep it and you know what, linux and sun are actually BETTER products than MS so please feel free to use that.. ofcourse he is gonna throw a sales pitch.

Think about it how many of our own local crorepatis have given to our society.. and what obligation has Billy boy have to invest 2000 Crs in india and donate a substantial sum to charitable causes?

No no.. dont give the crap but thats peanuts for him.. sure it is.. but it still is his hard earned $$.

Do we have double standards or wot..

Oh yaa I am still anti microsoft but I wont criticize bill this time arround.
Old November 13th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by GpeL
As anti microsoft I am.. (I am myself macro hard).. and as much as I dispise bill gates!! I was all admiration for him. What he did is nothing unethical or anything. He wants to promote his product fine.. but he did not tie it to his contributions a. la.. ok I give you 400M in aid for AIDS cure or another 20M for education and another 2000Crore for seting up industry there.

Who cares what his agenda or bottom line is.. as long as he is investing without an if then else clause I think he is doing a service to our country. And expecting return for service is not unethical its very logical and only a fool would say ok here is the $$$ keep it and you know what, linux and sun are actually BETTER products than MS so please feel free to use that.. ofcourse he is gonna throw a sales pitch.

Think about it how many of our own local crorepatis have given to our society.. and what obligation has Billy boy have to invest 2000 Crs in india and donate a substantial sum to charitable causes?

No no.. dont give the crap but thats peanuts for him.. sure it is.. but it still is his hard earned $$.

Do we have double standards or wot..

Oh yaa I am still anti microsoft but I wont criticize bill this time arround.
Bill is acting like a missionary for Microsoft. You convert to cristianity and we will give you this or that! you Install and learn only the microsoft we will educate you for free. 5 years from now India won't have good Linux skilled programmers base.
Just like what Max Muller did in favor of English language in India. Today we don't have a common national language and Hindi is still a regional language - Knowing English is everything! What is the hidden agenda? There is no challange to English from any other language and we are still followers! It's about a hidden attack on your pride - you without noticing it! ... India has such a huge man power base that we can create our own Hardware architecture, Operating system, Network system - you name it!! What is the restriction? But its like limiting your options in the long run!

Look at the timing dudes! The guy wins the anti-trust cases, fights for company's image in USA and starts off to his own ways in the third world countries. I am not saying that what he is doing is wrong as a business man! ... I am saying that Indian Government should be smart and DO THE RIGHT by not giving in to his Max Mullar tricks again!
Old November 13th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Pelu Pelu

GpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond reputeGpeL has a reputation beyond repute
Zen pai you are reading too much into the future (and so is billy boy). Trust me.. India me fokat ki murgi ka jaykaa jis ko lag gayaa naa vo murgi khareed kar nahi khaayega. Linux as lowkey it might be, as log as its free, it will flourish. Microsoft as much as he wants to make his product look like a give away.. it will still not compete with free stuff.

Second of all, you think our government folks are interested in billy boys max mullar tricks? They saw $$$ and their eyes lit up. Let the 400Mil + other assorted Mil run out.. billy will be right back to square one.

But all said and done, it (his recent drive) still provides much needed employment oppurtunites and funds for research (how ever less trickles down to the actual folks who need it after the plundering of our netas).

so.. will billy get the finger like coca cola in the past or Enron most recently? I am quite sure history repeats itself.
Old November 13th, 2002, 10:22 AM
nayasavera

sarkaari daftaron me windows hi achchhi hai.. railway reservation ya post office me baithe haraam ke dhakkano se 4 keys theek se dabti nahin hain aur tum log unse linux operate karaaoge..

baaki development shevelopment ke liye to log apni akal lagaayenge.. IT dept kuchh bhi policy banaa le..
Old November 13th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Zen... i guess i missed that bit about spreading christianity. Does it say that in the article?

Savera... the last i saw, some of them were working off of DOS programs.
Old November 13th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-G
Zen... i guess i missed that bit about spreading christianity. Does it say that in the article?

Savera... the last i saw, some of them were working off of DOS programs.
Nahee main example de rahaa tha - he is speading Microsoft like a christian Missionary and screwing the competition in missionary postion!
Old November 13th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
I say more power to Bill Gates

Let Microsoft propagate their products in India. Competition is always good.

Remeber not long ago Fiat Padmini and HIndustan Motors Ambassador were the only cars available. Also Bharat TV and EC TV were the only choices.

Soon there was competition and now folks have locally made SONY and other international brands fo TV. Also we now have almost all cars that you can see in the West.

So now that Linux is taking a strong foothold in India, we will surely get cheaper Windows products. Earlier you had to buy only Windows at prices set by Microsoft. Now they know that they are competing against Linux which is free. This compeition will lower prices and you will see more features.

One thing that Micrsoft needs to do is have Hindi support native inside Windows. They have support for almost all languages including Arabic and Chinese. Why not Hindi?

Infact I feel some Linux company should introduce Linux based GUIs which has native Hindi support... Lets see Microsoft countering that.

Competition si good.. Have you read about the recent introduction of Simputer? (www.simputer.com) PAlm OS is expensive and so they used Linux... Competition will surely benefit us.

So dont get worked up about how MS is evil and how Linux is great. All that matters is more choice and choice to make choices!