eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old August 18th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Junior eCharchan

Siraj is on a distinguished road
racial discrimition - proved by Shiv Chopra

We all know this. But very few has gone into fight with Government for this one.

He is my hero. He is Shiv Chopra, a scientist at Health Canada. Born in India and came here to study. After getting masters and PhD he served Health Canada and the saga begins.

It was his lone and marthon fight.
Quote:
Chopra has spent much of his long career at the health department battling bosses who repeatedly rebuffed his efforts at promotion. At 67, he's doing essentially the same job as when he started - evaluating drugs for the department.

Born and raised a Hindu in Punjab, India, Chopra became convinced years ago that discrimination was behind his failure to climb the public service ladder. He studied government figures and discovered virtually no visible minorities were being promoted to management.

``I found that there was discrimination throughout the public service,'' he says.

A number of other reports and human rights tribunals have also condemned the government's efforts both to hire and to promote visible minorities.

Please read this for more details:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=968793972154

The same report says, 1 in every 9 Canadian is minority, where as only 1 in 33 is in Government upper Management job.
Old August 18th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Simple Indian Muslim

videsee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nice
Good story Siraj! Thanks.

Zulm karne waalaa aur zulm sehne waala - dono gunehgaar hai!!!

Mark Twain
Old August 18th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Junior eCharchan

bahuram is on a distinguished road
This is EXACTLY what we dalits are talking about!!!
Old August 18th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Senior eCharchan

risingsun has a spectacular aura aboutrisingsun has a spectacular aura aboutrisingsun has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by bahuram
This is EXACTLY what we dalits are talking about!!!
ae gutter band kar na....

mujh jaise logo ne tumhare julm sehna band kar diya to kidhar jayega re?
Old August 19th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Junior eCharchan

Siraj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by videsee

Zulm karne waalaa aur zulm sehne waala - dono gunehgaar hai!!!

Rigthly said Videseebhai. The point is how many of us have courage to do this and wait so long. Only few people like Shiv can do it!

I am in the private sector and don't see much discrimation here - but at the top level yes, you can see very few non-white faces.

I have also applied for many government jobs without single interview calls. I was wondering at that time - but now I know the reason.

Very sad, but I hope the situation will improve. Interestingly Canada is helding so called ideal country label with cultural diversity.
Old August 19th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Simple Indian Muslim

videsee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nicevidesee is just really nice
Siraj, in my experience in Canada, racism is very 'hidden'. Layered with the typical Canadian 'niceness'. I have been fortunate to be an Indian in a private company who is at the highest level reporting to the CEO. But I too have faced situations of racism. But my boss has stood by me like a rock. Ironically, in three years the ONLY racism I have faced was from an Indian! Who didn't want to deal with me but with the 'gora' boss!!!!

But my wife once had a situation, where a co-worker made a disparaging remark about Indians.I insisted she take it up with the HRD person, and lo and behold, that nasty worker is bending over backwards to appease my wife!

Point is, we all in our individual ways CAN make a difference when we stand up and say, 'enough is enough'!!

Mark Twain
Old August 19th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down White Supremacy?!!

And come to think of it some upper caste Indians are supposed to have genetic structure closer to Europeans.

Even in the US there is supposedly racism i some white dominated areas..luckily did not experience any of it in CA.
Old August 19th, 2001, 07:20 PM
Banned

RECKER is on a distinguished road
so what is wrong in that .......

we have the same situation in India, we shall not be complaining

We also in India do the same thing, but we have many factors unlike here

Religion, Geogrophical, language, caste and so on and so forth.....
Old August 20th, 2001, 05:42 AM
eCharchan

Robinhood has a spectacular aura aboutRobinhood has a spectacular aura aboutRobinhood has a spectacular aura about
Talking

There's only one panacea to end all of this:

have 3 dollops of aam ki kheer in the morning after a bath.

And before going to bed eat crushed garlic n cloves topped by a glass of cold beer

Please follow the above regime strictly for 4 days in a week , 39 weeks in a year and 27 years in your lifetime and you will never ever experience those problems again.

Best of Luck
Will kill for love
Old August 20th, 2001, 05:54 AM

Re: White Supremacy?!!

Quote:
Originally posted by viking
..luckily did not experience any of it in CA.
Glad to hear that!!!
Old August 20th, 2001, 05:57 AM
eCharchan

Robinhood has a spectacular aura aboutRobinhood has a spectacular aura aboutRobinhood has a spectacular aura about
Re: Re: White Supremacy?!!

Quote:
Originally posted by eNRI

Glad to hear that!!!
no eNri you didn't have to vomit that beer out and then take it in again

what i meant was you shud take crushed garlic n nevermind

if ur happy doin what ur doin so be it
Will kill for love
Old August 20th, 2001, 06:14 AM
eCharchan

Patel Bhai is an unknown quantity at this point
As Videseebhai said, the discrimation is in layers - and yes at the top it may be there - in fact it is there - when human resource board says like that we have to belive it.

The report also says that it is not present in private sector. I guess we all on this board are working in Private Sector and so may never had faced any such discrimation. I am also in senior management and have never faced anything like that. In private sectors the skills are selling not the race!! When money comes to picture these people are bania (ooops - was it racial statement???)

Videssebhai, as you are in marketing have you faced any problem dealing with customers in addition to the one you mentioned? I have strong feeling that in marketing we hardly have any presence and these people insists white skin.
Old August 20th, 2001, 06:16 AM
eCharchan

Talking

racism is in your mind

and mind over matter - haven't you read the book

you brown skinned troglodyte
Will kill for love
Old August 20th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
no eNri you didn't have to vomit that beer out and then take it in again
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old August 20th, 2001, 06:53 AM
Simple Indian Muslim

Quote:
Originally posted by Patel Bhai

Videssebhai, as you are in marketing have you faced any problem dealing with customers in addition to the one you mentioned? I have strong feeling that in marketing we hardly have any presence and these people insists white skin.
No. Honestly. And I deal with customers all over North America. USA, Canada & Mexico. As you rightly said, in the private sector skills matter more.

Mark Twain