eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old July 17th, 2017, 07:34 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What's your spice level on a scale of 1 - 10?

5. I feel all taste is gone if you add anything more than that.
after all the years of watching and learning new techniques, I started learning to change recipes to suit what I am craving for that day. Other than Indian and mexican, you wont really need the heat in anyone dishes.
Old July 17th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
5. I feel all taste is gone if you add anything more than that.
after all the years of watching and learning new techniques, I started learning to change recipes to suit what I am craving for that day. Other than Indian and mexican, you wont really need the heat in anyone dishes.
How abt Caribbean? That is also spicy. Even Thai.
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:11 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

I always get confused with spicy food (masaledar) and chilly-hot (teekha) food. spices are haldi, dalchini, garam masala etc.... so when someone says or I order spicy food, I expect these components to be more. brings out different tastes in more or less degree.

just putting in mirchi powder makes it chilly-hot - like kolhapuri cuisine. that spoils the taste for me.

I know these things mean different things to different people. I am not sure what is the question here.

Masaledar - I like more rather than less - I'd say 7.5 out of 10

Teekha - medium maybe, about 5-6 out of 10
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Senior eCharchan

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of

East, just loves the spices – all different tastes - we have market of just spices - and all of our open food markets, are spicy with all diff tastes, that the tongue cells are starving for !

West is kind of sweet and sugary and fikka,…. ! When I came in US, and saw that baked potato dishes, smashed with just butter, cheese and little salt-black pepper,.. I was like eeeewww,.. .. and it was a sort of vomit-feeling,.. ! How da hell, one can eat such Fikka,… ( I had rather tear-ed a pillow and had started eating cotton from it,.. ! - Before I do the Bukada of Baked Potato ! ) Even when we make Batata ki sabzi-bhaaji,.. we make strong tadka with 10s of spices in it - Raai, jeera, tal, kokam, ajama, gud, dhana, long and what not,..

In west also, I guess in Europe somewhere ( besides the Mexican ) at some places they serve plain and hot Chilly dishes,.. it was a scene somewhere in the movie HDDCS or ( Queen ? ), where the actress orders an unknown dish, with no other choice left, by knowing it from their names, and all it comes is a pure fried chilies to eat,..

We all love spices,.. and btw,. We also know who is the 'Mistress of the spices,.. !' May all our days be full of Fun, Flavor and all different Spices of all kinds !

Last edited by log1iszero; July 17th, 2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of the scene from movie Queen. Kangana goes to an Italian restaurant. When she tastes the dish which was served, she asks for different spices from the kitchen and adds them to the dish to make the dish spicy.

The Chef gets angry that the customer does not want to try different tastes, just wants to turn everything spicy.
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
How abt Caribbean? That is also spicy. Even Thai.
i think it depends on what you try. For example, the beans rice with chicken is more flavorful than spicy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
I always get confused with spicy food (masaledar) and chilly-hot (teekha) food. spices are haldi, dalchini, garam masala etc.... so when someone says or I order spicy food, I expect these components to be more. brings out different tastes in more or less degree.
Spicy for me would be in terms of heat that gets added to the dish. For example, you add too much lemon grass to the curry in Thai dishes. It doesnt become 'hot'. It becomes less flavorful as the spices are dis-proportioned.
If you have too much red chili, then it becomes hot.
Old July 17th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post

Spicy for me would be in terms of heat that gets added to the dish. For example, you add too much lemon grass to the curry in Thai dishes. It doesnt become 'hot'. It becomes less flavorful as the spices are dis-proportioned.
that is spicy though - many spices, not necessarily hot....
Old July 17th, 2017, 09:35 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post

just putting in mirchi powder makes it chilly-hot - like kolhapuri cuisine. that spoils the taste for me.

I know these things mean different things to different people. I am not sure what is the question here.

Masaledar - I like more rather than less - I'd say 7.5 out of 10

Teekha - medium maybe, about 5-6 out of 10
Masaledar and teekha are both as bad.. these hide the true taste of the food. No wonder south indian food never became popular in its authentic form outside of south.
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:36 AM
Senior eCharchan

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of

South Indians ke Sambhaar ke taste kaafi spicy hote hai,.. aur woh jo gram aur doosari kuchh 3-4 chutniyan jo banaate hai,.. Dosa ke saath,.... that's just marvelous tasting.

The city where I grew up, had 1-2 restaurants in the area, making special Dosa, and I never ever desired for any ice-cream, masala-milk, burry, or any sweet dishes,..in my entire childhood,...dunn'o why but ice-cream i had always eaten as unpleasant food,... no matter it's Vadilal, Havmore or any special make,..

In USA the half gallon box costs only 99 cents for 10s of diff. makes and flavors, hav ealways 10-15 in a big chest freezer available at any time,...kids eat,....but I always prefer Indian stores' Indian make's Mango and such ice-cream if desired to,...

We had even the curry plants in our house in pots ( in USA ) and loved the fresh curry patta,....... Mints are growing in my backyard like wild weeds, but I have high quality of pink-patti mints,..Tomato,pepper, cucumber also grows great in our sided soils in USA,..

Last edited by log1iszero; July 17th, 2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old July 17th, 2017, 04:46 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Masaledar and teekha are both as bad.. these hide the true taste of the food. No wonder south indian food never became popular in its authentic form outside of south.
Hmm. Only Andhra / Rayalseema food is supposedly spicy. Tamil, Kerala and Kannada food is not that spicy. I mean the same dishes like Sambar might be different in each place.
Old July 17th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Hyderabad Wala !!!!

BABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Hmm. Only Andhra / Rayalseema food is supposedly spicy. Tamil, Kerala and Kannada food is not that spicy. I mean the same dishes like Sambar might be different in each place.
u have not eaten the real tamil food then. personally feel that they eat a lot more spicy stuff than andhra folks.
personally if needed i can sustain on chili powder and oil on rice.
An oft quoted Gandhian phrase is that if all were to follow an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth, then the world would go blind. The counter to that is that if only some follow this and others don't then it is the non-violent who would go blind while the rogues will rule the world.
Old July 18th, 2017, 04:40 AM
Senior eCharchan

I think it mostly depends on which dish you are trying. There are mild dishes every where in India. You cannot pick one dish and call the whole region "they eat very spicy food". Cuba, we went there and the food served in the resort was extremely bland. One night we actually left resort to eat real Cuban food and it wasnt bland at all. The general conception in that case was wrong.
Old July 18th, 2017, 04:52 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABU_HYDERABADI View Post
u have not eaten the real tamil food then. personally feel that they eat a lot more spicy stuff than andhra folks.
personally if needed i can sustain on chili powder and oil on rice.
What are some real spicy tam foods.
Old July 18th, 2017, 05:26 AM
Senior eCharchan

Boy ! I loved those,... Papdi, Fafda, Paani-poori with
papaya's green chhlke,
fried green long pepper
diff. kind of spicy chutney - of gram flower, khajoor, mango crust powder,. etc

Old July 18th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Hyderabad Wala !!!!

BABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond reputeBABU_HYDERABADI has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
What are some real spicy tam foods.
I ate mutton curry at one of my tamil friends place, it was so hot, i could not continue eating the curry.
An oft quoted Gandhian phrase is that if all were to follow an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth, then the world would go blind. The counter to that is that if only some follow this and others don't then it is the non-violent who would go blind while the rogues will rule the world.