eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old May 11th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
What if amount of work allocated is way more than a person can complete within normal business hours. Maybe manager is expecting her to work 15 hrs every day which is not possible and should not be encouraged.
But there are certain expectations based on experience, qualifications and pay. If a job typically takes 20 hours, but said person takes 50 hours to do the same job, toh kaise chalega?

If one cannot finish the job within 40 hours, one should raise it right away so manager can reset expectations accordingly. Otherwise, things will keep piling up and then there will be grand explosion by working weekends.

Old May 11th, 2017, 07:49 PM
Senior eCharchan

Bhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant futureBhidubhai has a brilliant future

May be you have never worked in India or its been a long time since. Anyway use some desi techniques to tide over this. If you have forgotten, then get in touch with some fresh desi landers. Get some ideas.

In India I have seen specially IT cutiyas know how to impress bosses without doing any work. Some girls know exactly how to pocket their bosses here. I have seen some girls bringing packed lunch from home and she and her boss eating the dabba at the boss's desk. The girl comes in at 11-12 with fresh garam food for the boss who has just finished his 2-3 rounds of early morning coffee at 10 and ready for the lunch at noon or so. Then they laze around until 4-5 and then meetings and then evening snacks. When the big boss is walking out, these laudu/laudis are busy working

Not saying you have to do these but venting out.
Old May 12th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
Agreed.

This lentil seems to have some black. Maybe Mgr told her Okay if you can't finish your job during normal business hours, you will have to work weekends. Maybe she's really slow at work.
Okay, now that was twisted a bit away from my point... and went on a tangent. I did not mean about her work... nor her manager... nor her appraisal... nor her weekend and/or daily work-schedule. I was talking about Gabbar... her antar-atma... her soul. How can Ashdikhe tai worry so much about a tuchcha job that her daily life is affected... her family life is affected What is the point

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old May 12th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
How can Ashdikhe tai worry so much about a tuchcha job that her daily life is affected... her family life is affected What is the point
trust me, i am trying not to let it.
Old May 13th, 2017, 12:31 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Offer to work extra hours before and after that weekend but be polite yet firm - "Sorry, plans made, no can do!!"
Old May 13th, 2017, 06:58 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
My own story later.
Nothing extraordinary actually. For a few months in 2009 when our account manager made enormous promises for low price, the team had to keep slogging so that he looked good and got his promotions. There have been other times also like it usually happens in the cyber coolie world, but this was a bit high.

You will find very few posts in EC from me in the second half of 2009. I just remember seeing Ashdoc and Rakhi whenever i logged in.

There was also a lack of sleep. One friday evening, i headed to a daru ka adda in dirty pai's gaon (before i started work again in the night). I took the bus back. I just remember putting my head on to window and next thing i remember is waking up and finding that the bus had made a full circle and was almost at the same place where it started.

My Behenji at that time asked me to go to an attorney. I looked at the terms of appointment and found that i was 'exempt' and did not go that route.
Old May 13th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
trust me, i am trying not to let it.
Is mein try kya karna You should do your thing this weekend... you have informed your boss, you have done your job. Annual review is months later. Why waste the months in between just worrying

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:22 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

^^
I think Aashiji is no longer worrying.
I am bringing up norm vs actual. In US cyber coolie world, it is a norm for Contractors and many employees who are in H1 to put in extra. That typically happens to when the estimates have gone awry and the sponsor needs to avoid embarrassment.
But Aashiji is in a different industry and probably a PR or citizen of Canada.

And besides what looks like a plan to dress up the project costs, there is also general attitude involved. The boss had pointed out how his wife stays at home and takes care of the kids. Even in US cyber cookie world, many managers are considerate of this aspect. In case both husband and wife work on weekends, day care costs come in. Plus also time with the kids.

There is a clear case against the boss. It is depending on who within the organization can silence that guy.
Old May 14th, 2017, 08:10 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
Okay, now that was twisted a bit away from my point... and went on a tangent. I did not mean about her work... nor her manager... nor her appraisal... nor her weekend and/or daily work-schedule. I was talking about Gabbar... her antar-atma... her soul. How can Ashdikhe tai worry so much about a tuchcha job that her daily life is affected... her family life is affected What is the point
Question is, why did it affect her?

It should have been an easy comversation. Here's how it should have gone:

Boss: Aashika, can you work this weekend?
Ashika: No, I have other commitments.

It didn't go that way. Why? Is Ashika not comfortable having a conversation with her manager? If yes, why? Should we all just presume that boss is guilty and Ashika is a victim? We don't have the boss on this forum to defend himself.

Old May 15th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Here I definitely agree with you. This is how a conversation should normally happen between employer and employee... between manager and worker... between guru and shishya. Aisa nahi hua... is ka raaz kya hai We need to find out... definitely.

But I was thinking of the later part... where Ashipaji tai was worried about annual review that is going to be held six months in the future. Why was she worrying about something that is going to be six months in the future now

Old May 15th, 2017, 11:07 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It didn't go that way. Why? Is Ashika not comfortable having a conversation with her manager? If yes, why? Should we all just presume that boss is guilty and Ashika is a victim? We don't have the boss on this forum to defend himself.
Boss: Dude, can you work this weekend?
American: I have a life outside of this job.

I had an American guy say the exact words to me when I asked him a question at 4:49pm on a Friday. I relayed the same to my manager when asked for an update.

Another time, a DBA working on my scripts went offline at 9PM after saying her shift was over. I screenshot the IM and sent it to my manager.
Old May 15th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Question is, why did it affect her?

It should have been an easy comversation. Here's how it should have gone:

perhaps I am not used to saying no?

You dont have to presume/assume anything. since he is not around, all you have is my word against his.

I feel so bad (needlessly) because he makes everyone stay late everyday. my department is filled with single people (read single asian) and the few that are not single are either older with no little kids at home or divorced and single.
The only person who has small kids and must go on time to pick them from daycare is me. He holds it agaisnt me that i leave on time.
Old May 15th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Super eCharchan

Quote:

You dont have to presume/assume anything. since he is not around, all you have is my word against his.

I feel so bad (needlessly) because he makes everyone stay late everyday. my department is filled with single people (read single asian) and the few that are not single are either older with no little kids at home or divorced and single.
The only person who has small kids and must go on time to pick them from daycare is me. He holds it agaisnt me that i leave on time.
That makes sense.

Old May 15th, 2017, 02:09 PM
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

How big is your company? Which industry?

In what way does he "hold it against you"? Are you being passed over for merit increases or promotions? If the job is good and you really dont want to leave -- I would start documenting these incidents of your boss holding your family life against you. Take it to HR when you have enough data of discrimination against you.
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Boss: Dude, can you work this weekend?
American: I have a life outside of this job.

I had an American guy say the exact words to me when I asked him a question at 4:49pm on a Friday. I relayed the same to my manager when asked for an update.

Another time, a DBA working on my scripts went offline at 9PM after saying her shift was over. I screenshot the IM and sent it to my manager.
Basically you are saying, you are he... the boss of Ashikua tai