eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old December 24th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Movie reviews of some off beat films that I saw recently

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
Ashdoc's movie review---Dr Zhivago

You missed out the bit that the role of Dr. Zhivago is played by none other than Omar Sharif

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old December 24th, 2016, 09:04 PM
Always on target

jeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
no , i haven't
Then try these two along with another great B&W movie, Witness for the prosecution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Jeetpai, dont expect Docji to watch all movies. I was banking on him to have watched dr Zhivago because it is quite famous. A lot of Padha likha mubaikars would have watched it. Also, it is about a Doctor.
Dr Zhivago is too long movie like Barry Lyndon

jeetIAF
Old July 23rd, 2017, 09:23 AM
Banned

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of

I am earnestly seeking for this of-beat, recent controversial film on net,… and got nthg but the failure. Has anyone seen this film, or any opine about it ?....or any idea where to watch it ? Netflix, Hulu and Amazone prime videos does not have it,..

Quote:
Lipstick Under My Burkha-

The film is worth all the hype it has generated due to the whole censor controversy. One must really thank Pahlaj Nahlani for his ban on the film or else this little gem would've got lost amidst the indies that keep releasing without any promotion and fails at the box office. We finally have a film in Bollywood that talks about a woman, through the eyes of a woman in an unabashed, unapologetic, uncompromising way.

The film revolves around four women who have four secret lives and who love to dream. An aged Buaji, who loves reading erotic novels, a middle aged Shireen, who secretly works as a salesgirl, A 20 something Leela who owns a parlour but dreams of her own startup and an 18 year old college fresher Rihanna who worships Miley Cyrus and dreams to become a singer. The only hurdle- The society that they live in, which doesn't allow them to bring their secret dreams out in the open. The narrative is beautifully woven around a book called 'Lipistick wale sapne' which Buaji is reading and the film revolves around Buaji reading the whole book and how the fictional story of Rosy and her desires connects the lives of these four women.
Kudos to whoever has written the story of 'Lipistick wale sapne' that is narrated by Buaji throughout the film. Such beautiful lines that makes you really emotional at times.

There is absolutely NOTHING in the film that deserves a ban. Neither does it disrespect the burkha or any religion, nor does it titilates the audience with the sex scenes. I guess the reason why the censor board didn't want the country to see the film because it shows what women are in real life- HUMANS and not sex objects of desire like portrayed in Bollywood films. It's also refreshing to finally see a coming of age film having women as central characters celebrating not just their freedom but even their sexual desires. No wonder eyebrows would be raised because here only men are supposed to have desires and women, their object of desire.

Hats off to the director and writer of the film Alankrita Shrivastava for handling such a subject so well. She sets the story in a middle class lane of Bhopal instead of a metropolitan city and yet doesn't stereotype people of smaller towns/cities. Another positive of the film is that it's not preachy which women centric films in India tend to become after a point of time. Rather it is super entertaining and a black comedy. You laugh but at the same time feel sad for the four characters. It's also heartening to see a narrative build around the sexual desires of an aged woman on the big screen because we automatically turn old men and women into these pious, asexual grandparent figures.

Coming to the performances, the ensemble cast does a really good job. Aahana Kumra, Plabita Borthakur, Sushant Singh and Vikrant Massey are perfect for their roles but the film belongs to Konkona Sen Sharma and Ratna Pathak Shah. They both are BEYOND BRILLIANT in the film and deliver of their FINEST performances in a Bollywood film.

There's a scene where buaji(Ratna Pathak Shah) is asked her name and she replies 'Buaji' and the other person goes 'kiski buaji, meri to nahin... aapka naam kya hai', and then she remembers her name is Usha. That single shot where Buaji suddenly remembers her long forgotten amidst all the buaji nonsense is going to stay with me for a long, long time. Ratna adds so much to that one single silent shot with just her expressions. There are so many other such beautiful scenes like buaji not being able to get on an escalator and a line of small hijab clad kids holding hands together help Buaji get on the escalator, etc that can only be enjoyed if you watch the film and not just read a review.

The film does have it's flaws here and there but despite all the shortcomings, like one of the review mentioned, Lipstick Under My Burkha is a great conversation starter of how women should actually be portrayed on screen and how we must stop creating hullabaloo over women and their sexual freedom.

Giving it a 4/5. I really enjoyed the film and so did the houseful theatre I was watching it in. It was great to see so many women in the audience and an equal number of men applauding at the end of the film. A must watch! Please give this film a chance. Doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman, go and watch!

Ending the post with one of the pre-climax lines of Lipistick wale sapne... 'and then she took the shovel to unearth her dreams, burried in the graveyard.'

P.S- Please excuse the typos and the layout. Using my phone hence such weird layout of paragraphs in the post. :S

Old July 24th, 2017, 12:46 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

It's in the theatres at present.
Old July 28th, 2017, 12:19 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Lolita ( 1997 )

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

The full movie is available on youtube in HD quality , so you dont have to go anywhere else . The movie is based on the famous novel---Lolita .

Jeremy Irons catches the fancy of a young girl ( nicknamed Lolita ) played by Dominque Swain . They proceed to have a sexual relationship , and Jeremy marries her mother ( Melanie Griffith ) to stay close to her . But Melanie sends Dominque off to a boarding school , only to discover the relationship later . In a state of shock , she gets killed in an accident . This lets Jeremy get what he wants---guardianship of Dominique , and chance to continue their relationship . As she grows older , Dominique tires of him and wants to break away . Eventually she succeeds by going with a another man who exploits her . Jeremy searches for her in vain because he is in love with her . Finally Dominique sends a letter to him asking for money because she is married and pregnant . Jeremy is by now ashamed of having used her when she was so young and meets her and asks her to forgive him . She does , and he gives her a large sum of money to continue her life . But she also tells him of the man who exploited her and Jeremy is mad with rage and kills the man . He dies in prison and thus repents for his sin , but Lolita dies in childbirth too .

Thus in effect both are equally guilty and deserve to die in the director's eyes ---or so I thought . Though Jeremy is more guilty because he was an adult using the body of a young girl , Dominique ( Lolita ) was not innocent too as she gave herself up readily to him .

There are plenty of erotic scenes between Jeremy and Dominique . Dominique plays the unabashed sex kitten , spreading her soft milky white legs on Jeremy's thighs on innumerable occasions and acting in a sexually provocative manner and repeatedly making lascivious movements . Photography is splendid and so are the colours . Acting is good too from everyone . The movie moves from erotic in the first half to tragic in the climax and changes your mood swiftly .

Verdict---good .

Three and a half stars .

Last edited by ashdoc; July 28th, 2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old July 28th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Banned

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of

Off-beat film is on YT,.. in a good print,.... Has any1 seen?

Am planning to watch it,...

Running Shaadi
- a very nice, simple movie by Shoojit Sarkar. He's turning out to be a great director / producer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zOZEErFlU4
Old August 8th, 2017, 07:40 AM
senior echarchan

Buddha in a traffic jam

Arunoday Singh plays a dynamic young man who has come to Hyderabad to study in a university . He is talkative and can make speeches inspiring his peers . He has all the makings of a yuppie ; he is liberal and cool and as sophisticated as they come . His and his friends' lifestyle is as cool as it can be in India ; they dance and sing to the beat of rock music , they ( including the females ) drink and smoke and party . His female friend ( played by Akanksha Dwivedi ) is free enough to dance almost topless on the bartender's table in a lounge . So free that she act attracts the unwanted attention of the moral police , who violently interrupt the act .

But at not too long a distance from Hyderabad in the district of Bastar lives another India . The tribals living there are being crushed by both sides---by the naxalites who beat them up regularly for co operating with government authorities and the government authorities who humiliate them for being in cahoots with the naxals . They have no hope of progress or development . Their only source of pride is their 5000 year old way of life that has not been change for 5 millenia . It is they who are focus of the film , even though it is played out mainly in the big city .

Back in the big city , Arunoday Singh takes part in a campaign called pink bra campaign against the moral police and he comes into the limelight due this . His articulate speeches against the moral policing win him admirers and he becomes a popular figure in the university . During this time he comes to the attention of a professor in the university ( played by Anupam Kher ) and his wife played by Pallavi Joshi . They run an NGO which sells pottery made by the tribals from Bastar and the sales of the pottery are used to help raise money for the tribals' development....a worthy cause , no doubt . Along with them is Mahie Gill , who openly says to Arunoday that she is a believer in the tribals' cause. A naxalite sympathiser who grows close to Arunoday soon .

But the NGO runs on government grants , and the government has recently decided to cut the flow of funds to such NGOs because the money is being fuelled to the naxalites . So Anupam Kher approaches Arunoday to create a way of raising money for his NGO . Arunoday takes up the task with full gusto and soon comes up with a master plan to sell the tribals' pottery online and cut out all the middlemen , so that the money is directly transferred to the tribals for whose benefit the whole enterprise is supposed to be . But Anupam Kher develops acute discomfort at this idea , and he says that he is a professor not a businessman and his prestige as a professor will be affected if he goes into online business .

But the real reason for his refusal is different ; he is the typical JNU type of professor , in cahoots with the naxalites and their brutal leader who is played by Gopal K Singh . Anupam goes to meet them in their hideouts , and this time when he goes there he is told that Arunoday must be killed immediately . For Arunoday's plan for helping the tribals' is too good ; it will bypass all the middlemen controlled by naxalites and even the government agents who are all revealed to be part of the money siphoning mafia . Arunoday has unwittingly got mixed up in all this and has brought about his own doom...or has he ? For Anupam Kher's aide Mahie Gill is not a corrupt person but a real passionate naxalite who genuinely cares for the tribals' cause and is appalled by this planned murder , and her personal reason for this is that she is in love with Arunoday too . Also Anupam's wife Pallavi Joshi is shocked by her husband's involvement with the naxalites and is prepared to help Arunoday . Together they and Arunoday hatch a plan to bring the situation to justice....

Straightway I must say that it takes courage to make such a film ; the JNU type of anti nationals whom the movie villainizes have a tremendous hold on our media and culture . All reviewers panned the movie after it was released under pressure from the liberal/anti national mafia which controls our press . And the director's courage must be applauded by watching the film . For it brings out the true colours of the universities like JNU and their professors . They are clearly funding the maoists and in cahoots with them .

I could see myself in Arunoday---a real person , a buddha like figure who believes in peace and wants to lead a liberal westernized free life . But he has peoples' good at heart and being liberal does not mean he wants to be anti national . But in this movie Buddha has been caught in a traffic jam created by elements inimical to our nation....

The movie scores on photography and colours and has decent music and songs . Acting by Arunoday is top class and Anupam Kher too excels , especially excelling in his last speech when he spells out his mad dream of communist revolution in the classroom . For anybody interested in politics and wanting to be in touch with contemporary issues , the film is a must see !!

Verdict---Highly Recommended .

Four stars out of five .

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

Last edited by ashdoc; August 8th, 2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old August 20th, 2017, 02:05 PM
senior echarchan

Tara---the journey of love and passion ( 2013 )

I saw this film because it deals with the vaghari community from Gujarat , a community which inhabits the area around my clinic and forms my patients in large numbers . Also because vaghari women are very beautiful with many having light eyes and fair skin and frankly I am attracted to them . But I never dared to ask a vaghari woman out for a date because they are mostly illiterate and lower class . Also other gujaratis ( including p jani on this forum ) have a low opinion of them and that discouraged me . The former british rulers of India topped in this vilification . They declared the vagharis to be a robber caste . The stigma has stuck . However , this very stigma has brought the art film world to showcase this film in various film festivals across the world and give it awards . The appetite of westerners is whetted by films like these showing the life of alleged robber castes from poor India .

The film shows the trials and tribulations of Tara ( played by Rekha Rana )---a feisty young woman living in a village straddling the Maharashtra Gujarat border , judging from the equal number of Marathi and gujarati characters in the film . She deeply loves her husband Baldev ( played by Rohan Shroff ) and spends many nights soaked in passion making sumptuous love on their bed . I also was dreaming of doing the same with her , considering the bare naked back she was showing throughout the film wearing backless cholis . Indeed , the whole film shows these vaghari women in backless cholis which turn up our temperature . The women selected are fair and with seemingly soft skin of their bare naked backs , and they make love with their mates with some zest .

But misfortune strikes---Tara's husband Baldev is contracted by Patil who is the rich man of the village to ferment an illegal concoction of alcohol , but the police arrive on the scene to arrest Baldev . A wailing Tara tries to save Baldev to no avail and the court sends him to jail for months . This gives the villain of the story ( Babanya ) the chance to prey upon Tara , and when she refuses he spreads the canard that she is pregnant with his child in order to take revenge for her slapping him .

While this is happening to Tara her neighbour Sumi's condition is worse . Her husband has also been arrested along with Baldev and her own father in law takes advantage of this to try to make her the prey of his lust . Patil also takes sexual advantage of the poverty of vaghari women---so all men are the same . When Sumi's husband comes back he takes terrible revenge on the father in law by murdering him with a pickaxe . Meanwhile famine strikes the land and the vagharis have to steal water which is scarce by force from tankers with Tara in the lead threatening the driver of the water tanker with her sharp sickle . But she is a woman with humanity---she helps an old helpless woman by giving her own jewellery .

The big catastrophe for Tara comes when her husband believes Babanya's tall claims after coming out of jail and calls a village meeting and throws out Tara from the village for becoming pregnant with Babanya's child allegedly . Tara walks out in despair and gives birth to a female child . A kind Marathi lady gives her shelter . Here she meets Kishna ( played by Ashish Saleem ) who is well read and teaches her to read , falling in love with her . But Tara rejects his proposal of marriage ; she says she has respect for him but is now disinterested by the idea of marriage due to her past experience . She still believes that a woman's place is with her first husband , but the Marathi lady tells of her own alcoholic husband who used to beat her before he died and convinces Tara of remaining alone .

But the task of removing the stigma from Tara's name remains , and a DNA test is duly called for .The test confirms that Tara's child's father is her husband Baldev . Baldev agrees to accept her back , and do they all live happily after that ?.....naah...this is art film , and art films get awards only when the women walk independent . So Tara having cleared her name kicks out the undeserving husband and walks away free of men....she starts her own handicrafts business with her Marathi mentor and becomes financially free too....

The movie is obviously poverty porn made for the west to savour with images of poverty like an old woman dying due to lack of care and kids playing in dirty clothes . Acting is juvenile . But somewhere the movie's simplicity and earnestness of the heroine touches your heart . I gained an understanding of the life of my patients ; those people whom I used to ignore after treating them became real life people for me . Tomorrow when I walk into my clinic I will know something about them . The vagharis eat nonveg food unlike other gujaratis , a fact shown in repeated chicken killing scenes in the film .

Colours and photography of the film is real good . I found it an okay watch .

Two stars out of five .

Last edited by ashdoc; August 20th, 2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old August 29th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Tara---the journey of love and passion ( 2013 )

I saw this film because it deals with the vaghari community from Gujarat , a community which inhabits the area around my clinic and forms my patients in large numbers . Also because vaghari women are very beautiful with many having light eyes and fair skin and frankly I am attracted to them . But I never dared to ask a vaghari woman out for a date because they are mostly illiterate and lower class . Also other gujaratis ( including p jani on this forum ) have a low opinion of them and that discouraged me . The former british rulers of India topped in this vilification . They declared the vagharis to be a robber caste . The stigma has stuck .
If you had seen the movies like,.. salaam bombay, slumdog millionaire, and smita - shabana's old movies like Chakra, Dharavi, aakrosh, godhuli, ankur, Nishant, Manthan,... then those are close to a typical vaaghari community styled of poor and illiterate portray,...

I think, you are talking about smwhat,.....
https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.c...jpg?quality=85

.............. this kindaa bhoori / maanjari / Neeli / billi-like eyes,.. !
I hate, those and it's considered of very poor quality,.... and as per saying ( old Lok-Mat) goes,.. those all ppl are ( with bhoori eyes ) Cheat, fraud, cunning n' back-stabbers,... ( can never be trusted )

If you had seen the bigBoss that guy, ( Ismaayil Darbaar ) also says about,...Aditi Gowatrikar,..
http://galleries.celebs.movies.3.plu...9c7d0adee0.jpg

btw,.....Just a circulated video came today,.. and this is what they are,..daily happenings ( @ Vaaghari-waad! ) there,.....

Have you ever seen, smthg like, this level of Muddy fight ???
https://www.facebook.com/10001560832...8678668662409/

Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:32 AM
senior echarchan

The thin red line

Film that looks at war philosophically and gives us doses of philosophy through the thoughts of characters along the way . Comrades fight , some of them die , but the war goes on . Soldiers are fighting because they have to , not for some grand cause . One man dreams of being with his wife all through the fighting , only to receive a letter from her that she is divorcing him to marry another man . Their commanding colonel ( Nick Nolte ) is ruthlessly self centred and is ready to send them to their deaths just because he wants the glory of having captured an objective and promotion for himself . The second in command disagrees and is sent back from the fighting . Many soldiers show humanity to other soldiers while others don't . To each his own . Many soldiers are plainly afraid during the fighting and their expressions are ones of fear .

The movie deglamourizes war , more specifically the second world war . The battle shown is for the pacific island of gudalcanal and the americans are trying to wrest it from the japanese . The japanese have a strong bunker on top of a hill there and the american soldiers have to reach near it , give co ordinates for mortar fire and attack it after the mortar shells explode . They succeed at some human cost , but the fighting never ends . More fighting , more lives lost .

The photography of the jungle ( gudalcanal is tropical region ) is ethereal and the flora and fauna of the jungle have been photographed too well . Music in the background is good too . Acting is appropriate for the situations . Shows war shorn of it's glory , and without celebrating it . Tries to show what every individual thought of war when he fought it . The individual soldier's fears and expectations , some justified and some belied .

Verdict---I would give it four stars out of five .
Old September 27th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Banned

So Newton is India's official entry to the Oscars 2018.

Newton movie review..

I AGREE

http://www.bollymoviereviewz.com/201...eview.html?m=1

Newton is a BO success too, though it is collecting only in metro cities. On Saturday, many multiplexes in Bombay and Delhi increased shows of Newton, reducing the shows of Kingsman - the Golden Circle. It is now set to collect more than Rs.25 Crores

I just posted the trailer of Newton few weeks back, when people were complaining that Bollywood doesn't offer good movies. Bollywood does offer these kinda movies almost every month, but there is no audience for many of those.

But still nothing changes, as these movies get audience only in few metro cities and masala movies get a bigger audience. Having said that Bollywood Masala movies have improved too, with BB , Sultan and TEPK tasting success. In fact changing audience preference is creating trouble for Bollywood stars, as they cant get away with crap like Wanted, Kick or Rowdy Rathore.

A great article which tries to tell facts using real numbers.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/9/7...e-wolf-warrior

Quote:
The percentage of gross box office that comes from US versus worldwide is where things get really interesting. Consider the movies whose foreign box office dwarfs the US percentage: The Fate of the Furious (part of a franchise that has always done well globally, due in part to its diverse cast), Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Transformers: The Last Knight, xXx: The Return of Xander Cage, and The Mummy, which gave Tom Cruise his biggest global opening weekend ever despite an anemic debut in the US. These films, like many that become hits abroad, tend to be heavy on spectacle and action and light on story. This isnĀ’t because foreign audiences prefer bad storytelling, but rather because visual spectacle translates across languages more readily than plot, with its dependence on dialogue and shared cultural ideas, does.
Though it doesn't really fit in this thread, it beautifully articulates the fact that the commercial movies are shaped by the preferences of audience. A general shift in the demographics of audience create a huge change in teh kind of films made by an industry. Both Hollywood and Bollywood are witnesses to this. If one evaluates objectively, the demographic changes are proving bad for Hollywood and are proving good for Bollywood. The change in South Indian commercial film industries are relatively less, as South has very high penetration into rural areas (and hence higher proportion of revenues from rural areas), where the social uplift over the last 25 years is relatively less compared to urban areas.

A Rajkumar Rao film collecting more than Sanjay Dutt's film would have been never possible in the history of Bollywood. Thanks to increasing proportion of collections coming from metro cities, it has happened now

Old October 21st, 2017, 10:34 AM
senior echarchan

Duel

This movie was the first ever directed by Steven Spielberg in 1971 . It won him recognition as a director .

The film shows a man driving from his town to another town in his car after a minor tiff with his wife . On the way he overtakes a trailer carrying inflammable liquid . The driver of the trailer is some psycho who takes this overtaking personally and begins to follow the car and try to ram the car .

The frightened car driver stops at a cafe , but the trailer stops outside the cafe . The car driver does not know whom among the people assembled in the cafe is the trailer driver and gets into a fight with the wrong person who he thinks is the trailer driver . But the man soundly beats him up .

Soon the trailer leaves ( it's driver was not in the cafe at all ) and car driver breathes a sigh of relief and resumes his drive , only to find that the trailer is waiting for him ahead . The choice before the car driver is to turn back and head back home , which any normal person would have done . But he decides to challenge the trailer....otherwise how would the movie become interesting

As the car tries to overtake the trailer , the trailer driver inexplicably signals to let him overtake . But as he tries to overtake , the car driver sees another car coming from the opposite side at high speed ; the trailer driver has led him to a death trap , but the car driver's expert driving saves him and he overtakes . But soon he discovers that the trailer has a very powerful engine and he can't match the trailer's speed and the trailer is catching up .

The car driver has to stop at a train crossing with the train roaring in front of him , but to his horror the trailer arrives and tries to push his car onto the train to kill him . After the train crosses the car driver tries to stop at a phone booth to call the police , but the trailer arrives to smash the phone booth from which the car driver jumps out just saving his own life in time . The trailer then swerves back to try to kill him again , but again he just escapes .

The car driver then swerves his car off the road to a dirt track to avoid the trailer but the trailer follows . The dirt track however ends in a dead end . So is it certain death for the car driver ? No....Watch him trick the trailer driver into smashing into his trailer into the valley below .

In all this madness the face of the trailer driver is not shown even once ; he remains an unknown quantity , adding to the suspense . And his reason for trying to kill the car driver is unfathomable except for the conclusion that he is a psycho .

Spielberg keeps the tension alive and the drama on high gear throughout the duel between the two unequal vehicles ; one car against a huge trailer , and the trailer carrying some inflammable liquid which might explode in a ramming . Background music is appropriate for the situations and photography is decent too . Colours of the movie are not that impressive though . There is not enough time to build the characters of the two protagonists at all in the one and a half hour short movie . The thrill is in the situation created .

Verdict---Decent .

Two and a half stars out of five .
Old November 27th, 2017, 04:45 PM
senior echarchan

Bhouri ( 2016 )

Bhouri ( Masha Paur ) is a beautiful 23 year old girl newly married to a 55 year old man in a rural part of India . The reason for the marriage is superstition . Her earlier 3 fiances have died due to various causes and in these rural parts she is considered as bringing bad luck , so she is has to marry a 55 year old man called Dhanua ( Raghubir Yadav ) who is the only one willing to accept her as wife . He is a labourer .

But Bhouri is so beautiful that all the men in the village begin to lust for her . The chaudhary ( headman---played by Mohan Joshi ) , the shopkeeper Baniya ( Manoj Joshi ) the labour contractor ( Mukesh Tiwari ) ,the corrupt priest ( Sitaram Panchal ) , and even the doctor ( Shakti Kapoor ) of the village---all openly lust for her . They openly and brazenly ask her husband to send her to them for sex in return for money . When he back answers them , he is thrashed . The whole village has this kind of atmosphere of sex addiction . Chaudhary has sex with a married village woman because she is poor and needs his money . Doctor gives free treatment to families in the village if their women agree to have sex with him . Only the police officer ( Aditya Pancholi ) is honest and brings to book any criminals . Two men who are chaudhary's brothers rape a girl and the police officer brings them to book by hanging them upside down and beating them . An older woman kaki ( Kunika ) tries to protect Bhouri and her husband from the sexual advances of the fivesome of baniya and chaudhary and doctor and priest and labour contractor .

Soon Bhouri's reputation of bringing bad luck to her partners seems to affect her husband too . He begins to cough violently . The doctor falsely accuses him of being HIV positive , so that he will be kicked out from the village and he can get his hands on Bhouri . But Bhouri begins to work as labourer in place of her husband and rejects all the lustful advances of predators .

One day a handsome young film maker from the city comes to film the lives of these people . But Bhouri finally loses her control and gets attracted to him and has a night of wild passion with him . The villagers who have unsuccessfully lusted for Bhouri beat the young film maker out of sheer jealousy and drive him out of the village . Her husband too forsakes her , for she is in love with the film maker .

But the film maker does not return and Bhouri who is left alone has to give in to the lust of the villagers to satisfy her monetary needs . Soon all the village men are having repeated sex with Bhouri . But many of the begin to die out and doctor's daughter who has sex with one of them is diagnosed HIV positive . Tests are done on the villagers and most of them are now HIV positive . But Bhouri's husband who was ironically falsely accused of being HIV positive turns out to be HIV negative .

So who has been spreading AIDS in the village ? In the end we find out that the film maker was HIV positive and Bhauri contracted the disease from him . And the villagers became HIV positive because of their unbridled and unprincipled lust for her . Nature has it's own ways of taking revenge for injustice....

The movie seems to have been made with India's current image as rape / lust/ sexploitation capital of the world in mind , and the shameless attempt of the film makers is to bolster that image in the eyes of the world in order to get awards . Foreigners who see the film will come out of the theatre with horrifying image of Indian men as rapists and sex addicts who shamelessly lust for even married women and openly ask their husbands to send their wives to them . Shakti Kapoor the eternal rapist of bollywood has been specially roped in to play role of sex predator , something that he is past master of playing . However , embarrassed by his atrocious role his daughter actress Shraddha Kapoor has forced him to disassociate himself from the film's publicity . But the damage to India's image has already been done . The liberal / communist lobby which backs making of these films openly encourages this self hate .

Photography is good and so is background music . Acting is good by most , if acting loudly as sex mad predators is your cup of tea . Masha Paur looks really good as Bhouri . But I was appalled by the open and brazen sex madness shown in the village .

Verdict--just about okay .

Two stars out of five .
Old November 27th, 2017, 05:02 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

^^
One actor missing from this movie is Ranjit

Old November 28th, 2017, 02:11 AM
senior echarchan

http://www.nettv4u.com/movie-review/hindi/bhouri

Above link gives review of the movie Bhouri by a typical liberal reviewer.