eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Recipe Corner

Notices

Recipe Corner Share your tried-and-tested favourite recipes...

Old February 18th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute
Zebra Cake

One of the most visually appealing, yet, easy to make cakes is a Zebra Cake. My hubby keeps calling this as Marble Cake I made this for Valentines Day. This is my first attempt at Zebra Cake and I am quite impressed with myself for this...ha ha ha! I got this recipe from Bakingbites. Thanks Baking Bites!
Ingredients:
All purpose flour: 2 cups
Baking powder: 1 tbsp
Salt: 1/4 tsp
Cocoa powder(dark) :2 1/2 tbsp
Large eggs: 4
Sugar: 1 cup
Milk: 1 cup
Vegetable oil: 3/4cup
Vanilla extract: 1 tsp
Almond extract: 1/8 tsp
Round cake pan, 9 inches
Method:
  • Mix the flour, salt and baking powder and keep aside.
  • In another big bowl, mix eggs and sugar well in such a way that sugar is almost melted and the mixture is lightly creamy.
  • To the eggs mixture, add milk, oil, vanilla and almond extracts and mix well until everything is combined properly.
  • Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix well until combined.
  • Measure just under 2 cups of the batter and transfer to another bowl. To this, add the cocoa powder and 1 tbsp of milk and mix well until combined.
  • Now you have 1 bowl of plain batter and 1 bowl of cocoa batter.
  • Line a 9-inch round cake pan with a circle of parchment paper and lightly grease the bottom and sides of the pan. I didn't have the paper, so I just greased the pan and I had some difficulty getting the cake out of the pan.
  • Pre-heat the oven to 350 D F.
  • Pour in 3 tbsp of plain batter into the pan and let it spread a little. On top of that plain batter, add 3 tbsp of cocoa batter (use separate spoons).
  • Alternate the 3 spoonfuls until you exhaust all the batter.Take care while pouring in the batter, its easy to mess up (like I did the last layer).
  • Bake for 38-40 minutes(please use a timer) in 350 D F preheated oven.
  • Let the cake sit out for 10-15 minutes and you can remove from the pan and enjoy!
Happy Caking!
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zebra Cake

And all these years I thought Zebras are Black and White.

j/k.
looks nice.
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:17 AM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

Really lucky (soon to be comfortably chubby) husband of urs!

wife makes goodies every single weekend!
Wow!

I will try this one, looks beautiful!

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old February 19th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmthaLal View Post

j/k.
looks nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyg View Post

I will try this one, looks beautiful!
Thanks you two
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Banned

soniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond reputesoniya 2 has a reputation beyond repute

it looks yummy ... great
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:06 PM
IDLE Treasurer

dollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond reputedollyg has a reputation beyond repute

i dont have almond extract im wondering if pineapple extract will be ok. hmm

If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyg View Post
i dont have almond extract im wondering if pineapple extract will be ok. hmm
Is pineapple extract white/water-like in color (like almond)? The reason I am asking is, if this is also dark like Vanilla, it might change the color of the flour too much. If the color changes too much, you might not be able to see the stripes of chocolate and flour.

If its not water-like, try making this without the pineapple extract Dolly.