eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

Old January 15th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Mumbai police cannot even secure a terror attack witness

Mumbai police cannot even secure a terror attack witness

Its such a shame that we have a 26/11 attacks terrorist in our custody, yet we fail to secure the only witness who saw all the terrorists as they got off the boats they came in.

Anita Uddaiya, the woman who saw the six terrorists involved in the November 26, went missing on Sunday morning and returned to Mumbai on Wednesday at around 1.30 am.

Now she claims that she was taken to the US for interrogation.

Read both stories below...

Quote:
Eyewitness says cops have not spoken to her

Wednesday 8.30 pm, Anita Rajendra Udiyar, a resident of Macchimar Nagar in Colaba, south Mumbai, was sitting outside her dwelling when she noticed a dinghy pulling up on the seashore nearby.

A longtime resident of the fishermen's colony, Anita says she has seen some unusual sights in the area, thanks to frequent film shootings nearby. What caught her eye, this time, was that the six youth in the dinghy whom she describes as being around 25-30 years of age, wearing jeans and t-shirt left the dinghy behind and started walking away with heavy blue, plastic bags. She recalls them wearing hats, too, and doing a thumbs up on landing.

Curious, Anita says she asked them what they were up to and was told to mind her own business.

Soon after, she said the group split into two, four going in the direction of Taj Mahal hotel [Images] and two going towards Nariman House.

The penny dropped for her when later on in the night she heard about the terror strikes nearby.

Spotting a police patrol after that, she informed them of what she saw but so far, she says, the police have not bothered to question her

When this reporter visited the Cuffe Parade police station, where the dinghy is now kept, she found them quite casual about the whole thing. The duty officer said the dinghy was of the kind that belonged to big boats and is used for evacuation.

Image: Anita Rajendra Udiyar (second from left) outside her dwelling in Macchimar Nagar, Colaba, South Mumbai

LINK

Now US says it did not take her for interrogation.

Quote:

US denies any role in 26/11 witness mystery

Sheela Bhatt in New Delhi | January 15, 2009 | 18:43 IST

The United States has denied any involvement in the disappearance of Anita Uddaiya, the star witness in the November 26 Mumbai attacks case.

Denying that the US had anything to do with her disappearance, a embassy spokesperson said: "No American agency have been involved."

Asked where she could have been taken for interrogation and by whom, the spokesperson said: "You should ask her where she went."

PTI adds:

Anita Uddaiya, the woman who saw the six terrorists involved in the November 26 terror attacks arrive in the city, claims she was taken to the United States and questioned by investigating agencies there.

"I was informed that the (US) officers who questioned me about the Mumbai attacks here earlier would take me to America. They came on Sunday morning and�took me to America," Uddaiya told PTI.

"I had lied to the police when I returned home stating that I went to Satara district as the officers told me not to disclose anything about my visit to America," Uddaiya said.

Uddaiya went missing on Sunday morning and returned to Mumbai on Wednesday at around 1.30 am.

She had seen the terrorists land in a rubber dinghy on the beach at the colony. But when she asked them where they had come from, she was told to mind her own business.

Giving details, she said on Saturday at around 10.00 pm, the investigating officers were supposed to come to her home.
"Since we were informed about Uddaiya's America visit, we sat with her throughout the night waiting for the American investigators. Nobody turned up till morning 5 am. At that time, Uddaiya went to toilet from where she was whisked away by the investigators," said Madhusudhan Nair, president of Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Nagar slum area.

Uddaiya said four officers were inside the posh vehicle and one of them knew Hindi.

"First, I was taken to St George Hospital to see my husband Rajendra. I told him that I would return home in a couple of days. From the hospital I was taken to airport," Uddaiya said.

"I was sitting in the airport while they (officers) were showing documents to the officials at the airport. I had no luggage with me. After sometime, I boarded the flight but I was feeling uncomfortable," Uddaiya recalled.

Uddaiya, who spent 17-18 hours in her flight to the US, said she was told they were heading to America.

"I could not eat in the flight properly as they were serving chocolates, sandwiches and some other stuff. I don't know how I managed to eat that food."

"I was taken to a posh hotel in a car soon after I landed in America. After a couple of hours, we all went to a building where I was asked several questions about the terrorists and Mumbai attacks," she said.

She said she was asked about the terrorists whom she had seen landing at Mumbai.

"The questions were translated in Hindi by one of them and whatever answers I had given were also explained to them in English. Everything was over in two to three hours. I even called Hamid Qureshi (a scrap dealer where she works in Mumbai) telling him I am safe," she said, adding that she was taken to the hotel subsequently and then to the airport to board a flight back to Mumbai.

On returning home in a taxi from Mumbai airport, Uddaiya said she was confused and surprised at what was happening around her. She said she was taken to the Cuffe Parade police station for recording her statement.

After the Mumbai attacks, Uddaiya had also been shown pictures of ten terrorists but she was not taken to J J Hospital to identify the bodies of the terrorists, she said.

"Since I was unwilling to do so, the Mumbai police did not take me to J J hospital," she said.

Uddaiya, who deals in scrap, had been living with her husband, daughter and son in the colony of Cuffe Parade in south Mumbai.

LINK
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mumbai police cannot even secure a terror attack witness

Could her story be true? Looks very unlikely.
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Whether she really went to Satara or United States is not the question here. Once the Mumbai police knew she was a witness and that her testimony would be key in the case against Ajmal Kasab, then why was a vigil not kept on her? Why were her moves not tracked? Why was she not offered protection?

Now do you understand why we should stop worrying and just wait like sitting ducks for the next attack? The police, the intelligence agencies, the entire law and order machinery is so callous and disinterested in all of this, so why should we bother??
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:03 PM
The Observer !

Honest has a reputation beyond reputeHonest has a reputation beyond reputeHonest has a reputation beyond reputeHonest has a reputation beyond reputeHonest has a reputation beyond reputeHonest has a reputation beyond reputeHonest has a reputation beyond reputeHonest has a reputation beyond reputeHonest has a reputation beyond reputeHonest has a reputation beyond reputeHonest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantikari View Post
Could her story be true? Looks very unlikely.
Yes her story looks very unlikely, but unfortunately its TRUE.
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:05 PM
unbanned and unstoppable

gayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant future

extremely unlikely. I think this is a coooked up story
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:28 PM
eCharchan

natkhat is a glorious beacon of lightnatkhat is a glorious beacon of lightnatkhat is a glorious beacon of lightnatkhat is a glorious beacon of lightnatkhat is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayaguzra#1 View Post
to gain some publicity i guess?

but still mumbai police is seems to be returning to its old relaxed days
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayaguzra#1 View Post
Which part... the first or the later trip to US

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old January 15th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Senior eCharchan

krantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond reputekrantikari has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
Which part... the first or the later trip to US
You doubt one part, you doubt it all. Right ?
Old January 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Whether she really went to Satara or United States is not the question here. Once the Mumbai police knew she was a witness and that her testimony would be key in the case against Ajmal Kasab, then why was a vigil not kept on her? Why were her moves not tracked? Why was she not offered protection?

Now do you understand why we should stop worrying and just wait like sitting ducks for the next attack? The police, the intelligence agencies, the entire law and order machinery is so callous and disinterested in all of this, so why should we bother??
Yes you are right... She may have gone (or been taken) to Satara... and police should know this.
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Exclamation Re: Mumbai police cannot even secure a terror attack witness

Updates! Seems she did go to the US!!

Quote:

Neighbour confirms eyewitness's US story

Vaihayasi P Daniel in Mumbai | January 16, 2009 | 19:04 IST

K Madhusudhan Nair is the adhyaksh (chairman) of the Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Samaj Seva Trust and a local leader at Macchimar Nagar, situated at Cuffe Parade, south Mumbai, just a few metres away from the spot where the 10 terrorists disembarked from a rubber dinghy on November 26 last year.
He is also a neighbour to Anita Rajendra Udiyar, who runs a scrap shop and has been in the news this week for her alleged trip abroad to give evidence, since she witnessed the terrorists's landing in the city that November evening.

Nair vouches for Udiyar's story. He says he is 100 per cent sure she went abroad because she was to be presented as a witness to give legitimacy to India's claims about the 26/11 attacks:

I know her for 30 years. I have been living here for that long. For at least 12 years of that time this basti (little locality) has been under my charge. I am the chairman of this area and I give them all kinds of help.
She had been in talks with certain officers for some time. She had been called to give a statement. They asked her if she can come and identify the dead bodies. She started telling me about 20 days ago that I may have to go out of the country. My passport is ready. My medical is done. Some big officers are going to take me (so she can give evidence). I told her that is a great thing. You are going for the country. So don't be scared. We will support you.

On Saturday (January 10) she was supposed to leave from here (to go abroad) at 9 or 10 o'clock. And a phone came for her at five from one of the big sahibs. When she met me around that time she started crying. I brought her here (into his home a few doors away) and explained to her: 'You have already done such a big kaam (job) and you have supported the country. You have done seva (service). For Bharat you will have to go'. I had to counsel her quite a bit. She kept crying that she feels scared.

At first there were six witnesses from this Machimar colony. They were finally excluded (from the investigation) because their statements failed. So she became the sole eyewitness (from here) for the police... yes, the Indian police.

This matter is being handled at a high level and I cannot tell you who. And she is not willing to tell me because it is being kept a secret. She has been told to not leak much bahar (outside) or there will be problems for you.

The six had been giving their statements in the police commissioner's office. Actually later it turned out that some of them had not seen anything.

But she was sitting right there and the boat came right there. She saw them get off the boat. She was sitting outside. She is always sitting outside because she has a shop.

Her dogs started barking a lot. And behind them one more dog of the area. Usually only one of her dogs barks, but when both started barking she wondered and asked them (the terrorists) 'Who are you? What do you want? Where have you come from?' They told her, 'You do your own work'. She got further doubts. And she saw their faces.

She got a very good look at them -- their clothes especially, their faces, their hats, their cutting (hairstyles). She got that all right. She had the right details. She was more exact.

They (the six witnesses) would go together to the commissioner's office. But on the last day (Saturday January 10) when the officer called her, they called her alone. It was not the Cuffe Parade police station that was in touch with here. She had gotten support from the office of the Mumbai commissioner, the crime branch. They were in touch with her. They are now hiding it because it will be a problem for them.

Then they told her that they wanted her to go out of the country to meet a team in America as a witness. They were a high-level team and I cannot tell you who. They wanted to take to her to give yakeen (belief) to the people abroad (that such events had happened in Mumbai). She was an eyewitness and they wanted to present her there. So that those people would have bharosa (faith in the results of India's investigation).

The team who took her has her passport. The officers made her passport. When they take people in secret they do not give them their passports or there will be some leakage.

She had told me that they would take her at 10 pm on Saturday, so all of us, the team were with her -- just to see who these persons were, to maybe take their cards. I thought let me at least see their faces. If something happens to her people will come asking us. Even the Cuffe Parade police station can ask us.

But they did not come at 10 o'clock. But someone phoned the newswallahs so from 10 o'clock these news people were in her house to see who would take her. The team, who was planning to take her saw the newswallahs, and did not come near. They wanted to take her in secret. Instead at 5.15 am on Sunday, when she went to the bathroom, she left and no one set eyes on her after that.

How did the leakage happen? When she changed her date (of departure) and when she went missing we gave a complaint -- her family -- and I was there. We did not know if she had gone to the right place or the wrong place. Her family got scared so we had to give a complaint. We complained to the Cuffe Parade police station that we have not seen her. Her daughter said she cannot find her mother.

But that secret agency took her away and in the same way they brought her back.

(His wife Ranjana interjects: 'She came back wearing the same clothes left in.')

I am 100 per cent sure she went abroad.

(His wife again interjects: 'Yes she gave us all the details. That she had to change her clothes. And that she covered her face. She said she gave her statement to a Negro judge. She said she didn't like the strange kind of leafy food there -- something like Chinese -- that she got to eat and how she told them that she is a fish curry and rice eater. Would that all be a lie? She has gone there and that is why she knows all this. And they also told her not to tell anyone. And keep this a secret. And they are going to take her once more'.)

Continues Nair: There are Indian officers involved and also foreign officers. But the people who took her were American. I think they are an FBI team. She does not know which place she went to in America. She says it was a very big city. Lots of quite tall buildings. And that they kept her in a big hotel. And when she described it, it sounded like America.

They put some clothes on her and made her look like you (the reporter) so that there would not be any problem there. She went in a special plane. She sat in the plane at seven am (Sunday) and it took her 16 to 17 hours. And they kept her there for only one day. She gave a statement for two hours and they took her back to the plane and brought her back and left her at Andheri. She took a taxi because she said if she came with them people will get suspicious. But they still followed her all the way here.

That day she returned -- at 2 or 2.30 pm (Tuesday) -- the police were there and the newswallahs were there at her house. She got scared. She was not supposed to tell anyone she had gone. But because we gave a complaint everyone was there. So she said she went to the village (Satara). Actually the team had told her not to give the news to anyone because they said: 'Your life will be in danger because there are still terrorists hiding in the country. If you give your photo and too much news it could be dangerous. Keep this hidden.'

(His wife interjects: 'Her life is in danger, so the poor thing is scared.')

LINK