eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

View Poll Results: Do in every organisation the MBA guys eats-up Operation people's work and credit?
Yes 16 80.00%
No, MBA people are very ethical to do this. 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 30th, 2009, 01:00 PM
King of repeat posts!

Desi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Meri kyu li ?????

I joined a MNC few months ago. The situation was, I joined as a Team Lead of a team which was not doing good and was in such a bad shape that it was on the edge to ramp-off. The team was to shut-down. I was called in as a last chance to revive and save the team and to take it to the next level, to win client's confidence and get more and complex work.

And you know guys, I did all this, I did all this and that too in whooping 7 months, just 7 months. The results were too quick and everybody was awestruck. I was appreciated also, not only from my immediate upper-hyrarchy level but also from top-level of the group. The appreciation was so honest and confessing and it was (the mail) cc to whole team.

But suddenly after 8 months got over, I was technically put-off from my Team Lead position and one of my immediate upper-level person (Team manager level) who still is Team Manager is made Team Lead also

When I enquired for what mistakes of mine I was demoted, I am told that I am an exceptional operations manager person, but...b u t - but, there are few things which I need to learn like communication, startegic level craps and all that stuff, which I will able to learn a better way remaining under that person who now has come back to picture.

Now something about this person. He was handeling the team before I came in but the results were nil, which I mentioned in the very begining here. Its two month he has come back, there is no difference in the operations of the team, I still manages all the operations, team still reports to me, I still sanctions the chutti of the team members, but, this gentelman writes all the mails to the client, first draft of which we (anyone from the team) only send to him.

Now I have a few questions here:

1. Why this done to me, given that I saved the team and gave ultra-exceptional results
2. Why that person is called back, when in actual there is no reason and need.
3. what should my strategical steps should be.
4. What long run (ill)effects can happen to me.

I am really pissed off, meri kyu li

Faltu ki Bakkar, chakkar chakkar chakkar chakkar....

- Winner of Crown of the week!
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Meri kyu li ?????

I am sorry to hear that you are going through a rough and stressful period at work. Something similar happened to me in my previous organization and I came to know the reason behind it only after I left.

I am not an expert but this is what I feel..
to answer your question…
  • You saved the team in a short span of time. And they are thinking that you might want to move to a different team for more challenges, which they don’t want to yet. You are like a right hand to the team and they don’t want to move you out of that position anytime sooner.
  • You are not meant to be a manager in the first place. You came, set things right…now you hand back the position to that person (incompetent or otherwise) and he will take it from there.
  • Stay back with the same company, unless you get a better offer. I stayed back with the company and eventually (in less than 1 year) I got promoted.
  • You will not have long-run-ill-effects. You will just end up wasting 6 months to 1 year in a junior role.
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Baawra View Post
I joined a MNC few months ago. The situation was, I joined as a Team Lead of a team which was not doing good and was in such a bad shape that it was on the edge to ramp-off. The team was to shut-down. I was called in as a last chance to revive and save the team and to take it to the next level, to win client's confidence and get more and complex work.

And you know guys, I did all this, I did all this and that too in whooping 7 months, just 7 months. The results were too quick and everybody was awestruck. I was appreciated also, not only from my immediate upper-hyrarchy level but also from top-level of the group. The appreciation was so honest and confessing and it was (the mail) cc to whole team.

But suddenly after 8 months got over, I was technically put-off from my Team Lead position and one of my immediate upper-level person (Team manager level) who still is Team Manager is made Team Lead also

When I enquired for what mistakes of mine I was demoted, I am told that I am an exceptional operations manager person, but...b u t - but, there are few things which I need to learn like communication, startegic level craps and all that stuff, which I will able to learn a better way remaining under that person who now has come back to picture.

Now something about this person. He was handeling the team before I came in but the results were nil, which I mentioned in the very begining here. Its two month he has come back, there is no difference in the operations of the team, I still manages all the operations, team still reports to me, I still sanctions the chutti of the team members, but, this gentelman writes all the mails to the client, first draft of which we (anyone from the team) only send to him.

1. Why this done to me, given that I saved the team and gave ultra-exceptional results

Whats more important than results is understanding of the political equation's that higher ups have with each other and where you fit. Best is to lie low and observe. Results do not always speak.

I've seen expert movie downloaders get fat hikes and promotions. Just cuz they were on the right side of people who could take decisions.
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:21 PM
King of repeat posts!

Desi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond reputeDesi Baawra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
I am sorry to hear that you are going through a rough and stressful period at work. Something similar happened to me in my previous organization and I came to know the reason behind it only after I left.

I am not an expert but this is what I feel..
to answer your question…
  • You saved the team in a short span of time. And they are thinking that you might want to move to a different team for more challenges, which they don’t want to yet. You are like a right hand to the team and they don’t want to move you out of that position anytime sooner. Agreed
  • You are not meant to be a manager in the first place. You came, set things right…now you hand back the position to that person (incompetent or otherwise) and he will take it from there. To screw the things again
  • Stay back with the same company, unless you get a better offer. I stayed back with the company and eventually (in less than 1 year) I got promoted. Agreed
  • You will not have long-run-ill-effects. You will just end up wasting 6 months to 1 year in a junior role. Not sure. If I am side lined here-on, I am not sure what will happen after say 3 or 6 months

in red above

Old April 30th, 2009, 01:26 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

mebbee that person was already scheduled to take over the team when the situation improved to take the credit of it all. but if it had not you would have been there to take the ramifications .that was the plan i suppose.

of course they must have banked you to reinvigorate things considering your past record and must have been fairly confident of your abilities.

your new boss must be some favourite of the upper boss-mebbee his relative or something like that.
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:32 PM
King of repeat posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
mebbee that person was already scheduled to take over the team when the situation improved to take the credit of it all. but if it had not you would have been there to take the ramifications .that was the plan i suppose.

of course they must have banked you to reinvigorate things considering your past record and must have been fairly confident of your abilities.

your new boss must be some favourite of the upper boss-mebbee his relative or something like that.

No nothing was scheduled as such, or what I was told was this was my team and I am the Team Lead. But the only amusing part is that person is made Team Lead although he is Team Manager also.....this is all office politics going and nothing else.

Old April 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
in red above
Are you in India or elsewhere? Is the other person "white"? I am not saying that your company is racist, but its a possibility right?

This is what I guess the manager is thinking (I am assuming here):

1. I am not sure if the other guy can manage to screw up things again, now that you have set process straight. In any case you are there to sort them out and not to let the "slip" happen again.

2. You will be side-lined, I am positive about it. They have to prove that the other guy is capable now, right?

Play cool and it will pay-off. Or else in your performance review they will say you dont have the leadership qualities.
I know its difficult, i have gone through this myself.
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't understand the quote in bold.

If you are stripped off the leadership job, why do you still do it?
Just be a normal tam member like others. Send them to your boss when they try to report you or ask for chhutti etc...

If you are really confident on yourself that you are the one who turned around the team, then don't worry. It will come back to you soon (as per your mentioning about the boss who is inefficient and sunk the team and now back in charge).

OR

Stay there until you find another job. or shut the fuck up and keep working.
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM
King of repeat posts!

Quote:
Are you in India or elsewhere? Is the other person "white"? I am not saying that your company is racist, but its a possibility right?

This is what I guess the manager is thinking (I am assuming here):

1. I am not sure if the other guy can manage to screw up things again, now that you have set process straight. In any case you are there to sort them out and not to let the "slip" happen again.

2. You will be side-lined, I am positive about it. They have to prove that the other guy is capable now, right?

Play cool and it will pay-off. Or else in your performance review they will say you dont have the leadership qualities.
I know its difficult, i have gone through this myself.
In India and only desis are involved in this episode

Old April 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Baawra pai, Sad to hear that.... don't know much about managerial things... the company where I worked previously this thing was called "Barsaati Promotion"... if your boss is out for a more than a month or two then you would have to handle some of his jobs too(you can negotiate some salary hike too).... but once he's back you'll be back to your old job...

But your case is different and you were given a tough job and you did it brilliantly... but as Viking said that you need to be in the right books in office.... its a dirty politics there...happens almost everywhere... good thing is that at least you were given the credit of what you did. Many a time someone else takes the credit too. I don't think you can do much about the situation....

Old April 30th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Meri kyu li ?????

move on..look for another better paying job and move on
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:46 PM
King of repeat posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmthaLal View Post
I don't understand the quote in bold.

If you are stripped off the leadership job, why do you still do it?
Just be a normal tam member like others. Send them to your boss when they try to report you or ask for chhutti etc...

If you are really confident on yourself that you are the one who turned around the team, then don't worry. It will come back to you soon (as per your mentioning about the boss who is inefficient and sunk the team and now back in charge).

OR

Stay there until you find another job. or shut the fuck up and keep working.

Sir yehi to twist hai is story me. When my team members goes to him, he turns them to me saying that desi baawra(humour) is still your Team Lead, processes will not change, go to him, this Team Lead change is done due to some techincal things, I am here to give relax to him but he is only your Team Lead

Old April 30th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Senior eCharchan

Also recognition through emails copying everyone and all is like a "carrot" and we are rabbits. Thats the way to keep us motivated.

If you get the pay-hike etc, thats when they have really appreciated you. Sorry, I am just judging with my limited experience. I could be wrong.
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Sir yehi to twist hai is story me. When my team members goes to him, he turns them to me saying that desi baawra(humour) is still your Team Lead, processes will not change, go to him, this Team Lead change is done due to some techincal things, I am here to give relax to him but he is only your Team Lead
Then...Its time to ask the management the clear roles and responsibilities of you both. Setup a meeting with your reporting manager maybe?
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:50 PM
King of repeat posts!

Quote:
Also recognition through emails copying everyone and all is like a "carrot" and we are rabbits. Thats the way to keep us motivated.

If you get the pay-hike etc, thats when they have really appreciated you. Sorry, I am just judging with my limited experience. I could be wrong.

Carrot and Donkey actually, where carrot is tied to stick which is tied further to the head of the donkey, which the poor fella sees but can neve reach for it because that moves with him too