eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > Crowning Glory

Notices

Crowning Glory A home for our best content ... award winning created by eCharchans!!

Old July 7th, 2015, 10:43 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Bajirao mastani---Sanjay Leela bhansali's ambitious venture

So the story of the love of Bajirao and Mastani will be brought to life on celluloid by Bhansali . I am superexcited about the film since I am a maharashtrian brahmin like the great peshwa Bajirao .
Old July 8th, 2015, 03:52 AM
Senior eCharchan

punkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant future
Re: Bajirao mastani---Sanjay Leela bhansali's ambitious venture

Sorry my history is a little bit weak, I don't know anything about Bajirao. I like period flims so will eagerly await the movie release. When does it come out?

I think its only going to cover grand love story going by Bhansali's previous ventures.
Old July 8th, 2015, 04:45 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaj View Post
Sorry my history is a little bit weak, I don't know anything about Bajirao. I like period flims so will eagerly await the movie release. When does it come out?

I think its only going to cover grand love story going by Bhansali's previous ventures.
exact date of release has yet to be decided---i think . it is still being made .

yes , it will cover only the love story aspect of baji rao without much covering the warrior aspect of his personality .
Old July 8th, 2015, 04:54 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaj View Post
Sorry my history is a little bit weak, I don't know anything about Bajirao.
he was peshwa ( chief minister) of king shivaji's grandson king shahu .

while shivaji was able to establish his kingdom only in maharashtra and small parts of south india , it was bajirao who carried the maratha tide into north india . this was after shivaji's death .

gujarat , malwa , bundelkhand , what is now known as chattisgarh and part of jharkhand and part of orissa was liberated from muslim domination by either baji rao himself or generals loosely under his command .
Old July 8th, 2015, 05:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

punkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant futurepunkaj has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
I am superexcited about the film since I am a maharashtrian brahmin like the great peshwa Bajirao .
You mean you would like to have 2 wives as well. Gotcha brother Good for romance but life is short like Bajirao. I read up, he died at young age of 39, from a heat stroke.
Old July 8th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So the story of the love of Bajirao and Mastani will be brought to life on celluloid by Bhansali . I am superexcited about the film since I am a maharashtrian brahmin like the great peshwa Bajirao .
Let me know when they make a movie on Baji Prabhu... not Bajirao

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old July 8th, 2015, 09:58 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
Let me know when they make a movie on Baji Prabhu... not Bajirao
there are marathi movies on him . but he wont make it to a bollywood film .
Old August 27th, 2015, 11:40 AM
senior echarchan

Story of Mastani in short---

Baji Rao Ballal Balaji Bhat (Yes I know it's a very long name) was a respectable general who led troops during several wars in the 18th century. He was also a 'Peshwa', which is basically a Prime Minister.

He belonged to a Brahmin caste and everyone in his community had devoted their lives to priestly and other administrative duties. However, Baji Rao didn't go this way and decided the become in charge of the troops that would go out on wars with other kingdoms and emperors. He managed to expand the Maratha Empire.

Baji Rao was married to the much loved Kashibai. Kashibai had a great equation with Baji Rao's mother, Radhabai (She is the Kumud in this story, like every SLB film there has to be a Kumud, once upon a time Rekha's name popped up for this role) and his brother. They lead a happy life and they had two sons together.

The problem starts here:

Baji Rao falls in love with Mastani who was a Muslim girl. Her mother was a Persian called Ruhaani Bai. Ruhaani Bai was a court dancer. Her dad was the Maharaja of Chhatrasal. When his kingdom got threatened he asked the help of general Baji Rao who saved his family and kingdom. He gave his daughter Mastani as a present to him for the hard work he had carried out.

The other story of Mastani goes as follows and is more likely to be adapted by Bhansali:
Mastani was just like her mother a dancer in Chhatrasal's Palace. When he asked Baji Rao for help, Baji Roa met Mastani and fell in love and married her. Mastani was a fit girl, knew how to dance and sing and was also skilled in horse riding and spear throwing. Bhansali is looking for a fit girl that can manage difficult dancing sequences I assume.

Just when no one expected it he decided to take her as his second wife. She gets to live with her in-laws in the Shaniwar Wada palace. Baji Rao's mother, Radhabai was furious. How could he neglect Kashibai just like that? Not only his family, but everyone in Baji Rao's Brahmin community was unhappy.

Baji Rao made a lake for Mastani to bath in (Bhansali might make a song here) where she would bath with her friends.

Baji Rao made Kashibai and Mastani pregnant around the same time. Tensions rose high in the palace and both gave birth to healthy babies within months after each other. In the meantime Kashibai was kept being sidelined and Mastani's influence in the palace grew. However, Mastani's son was never considered a Hindu by the orthodox Hindu Pune community and was brought up as a Muslim and named Shamsher Bahadur.

Suddenly a devastated accident happened. Kashibai's child dies at a very young age and Mastani keeps getting more attention and influence. Mastani was younger than Kashibai and seeing her with a healthy son while Kashibai's child just died made her very unhappy. Not only develop the ladies some sort of jealousy, but Baji Rao's mother (Radhabai) and brother (Chimnaji Appa) try to make Kashibai hate Mastani more and more.

This results in many plans to kill Mastani which were mainly led by her own mother-in-law and brother-in-law. Kashibai gets also influenced and takes part in the plans and gets blamed for them when they fail. Baji Rao and Kashibai's son Balaji also tried to talk to Mastani and explain to her to leave. Mastani refused and when Baji Rao was away he decided to put her under house arrest.

Following this incident Baji Rao made a corner in the palace for Mastani, Mastani Mahal, and a separate doorway for her called Mastani Darwaza. Eventually he made a separate residence for her away from his family.

Baji Rao died of a sudden fever in Khargon during one of his trips towards Dehli with the company of 100.000 troops. Both Kashibai and Mastani go to Khargon to see his body. Baji Roa was cremated and Mastani commited suicide by drinking poising after this. A different version of the story says Mastani jumped in Baji Rao's funeral pyre and burnt to ashes with him (Sati). Her son Shamsher Bahadur is only six years old around this time. Kashibai decides to take Mastani's son and bring him up as one of her own.

http://shakuntela.blogspot.in/2014/0...o-mastani.html
Old September 17th, 2015, 06:07 AM
senior echarchan

Old September 17th, 2015, 06:42 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like 'reverse Love Jihad'. Good insights doc ji. Probably this is going to be more interesting than the movie. Sanjay Leela Bhansali movies to me are good substitutes for sleeping pills except for "Hum Salman ko De chuke sanam", which was too irritating.

A question on Chhatrasal. There is aroad named after him in Delhi plus remember an Amar Chitra Katha cmic on him. Who was he and what was his contribution.
Old September 17th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Bhansali movies have great songs and make for great music videos. Good indian colors and motifs and costumes. The dances are spectacular.

Overall, I watch Bhansali movies for the songs and cinematography. The story is usually blasé. The acting is not worth blogging about.

An exception to this is Saawariya. I felt jipped. That mothafuckin movie was so horrible that no song could redeem it.

Old September 17th, 2015, 07:55 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info doctor.

If Bajirao expanded the Maratha empire much beyond Maharashtra, why is he nowhere close to Shivaji in popularity or herodom?
Old September 17th, 2015, 08:43 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSeeker View Post

If Bajirao expanded the Maratha empire much beyond Maharashtra, why is he nowhere close to Shivaji in popularity or herodom?
Shivaji had Aurangzeb to contend with and he essentially started the whole process. Same with his contemporary, Guru Gobind Singh. He started Khalsa, and made Adi Granth the Permanent Guru. There were later Sikh heroes, but none as popular as him.
Old September 17th, 2015, 09:31 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceSeeker View Post

partly because he wasted his herodom by romancing mastani . instead of conquering india and raising hindu badshahi as he had promised at the beginning of his career , his personal and political life was in turmoil due to the storm raised by mastani in his later days because mastani was muslim and pune brahmins raised hell over it .

shivaji would have never destroyed his personal and warrior life over a woman , and hence was more successful . but bajirao is underated and his achievements are not mean too .

partly bajirao suffers in popularity because he was a brahmin and the common people who belong to the maratha caste do not empathize with him . shivaji was a maratha and he is revered by the common people because he belonged to their caste .
Old September 17th, 2015, 09:40 AM
In search of peace!

PeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond reputePeaceSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
partly because he wasted his herodom by romancing mastani . instead of conquering india and raising hindu badshahi as he had promised at the beginning of his career , his personal and political life was in turmoil due to the storm raised by mastani in his later days because mastani was muslim and pune brahmins raised hell over it .

shivaji would have never destroyed his personal and warrior life over a woman , and hence was more successful . but bajirao is underated and his achievements are not mean too .

partly bajirao suffers in popularity because he was a brahmin and the common people who belong to the maratha caste do not empathize with him . shivaji was a maratha and he is revered by the common people because he belonged to their caste .
How? Shivaji's reign was mostly limited to Maharashtra while Bajirao took it far beyond.