eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > Crowning Glory

Notices

Crowning Glory A home for our best content ... award winning created by eCharchans!!

Old February 17th, 2015, 12:07 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rough treatment of elderly NRI leaves him paralyzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty View Post
The Cop did act stupid and with excessive force. No doubt about it. THe police department is going to pay a lot of money to Chirag Patel but this in no way takes away the pain of having a paralyzed Grandpa. No one to blame here but the cops. Now racist or not is a different issue. What if the man was mentally retarded white guy as in Kelly Thomas . We call it racist only because he was Indian. This was more of a power trip.....

Now, good side of this. Everyone is this country is answerable. Yes, there are ass-holes everywhere including America . So those idiot who are gloating over and saying " See this is why I dont go to America " . Ask your self , when you get a lathi no your ass by a pandu , can you file a lawsuit and have that pandu suspended ?

How many Indian police officers have been fired to excessive force on common public ......zero...
Agree on everything except the zero police officers part.. although the record of firing from govt jobs is anyway low in India. You pretty much have to kill somebody, if you recall the super movie on this .. Aakrosh.
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:13 PM
dr.ibbler

drsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
lesson for everyone else. If your visitors do not speak a word of English, then take some time and give them a small note mentioning the address and phone number of the residence.
Is what I was thinking.

Quote:
Welcome to EC. You being a new member, please read "Questions of Newbies Answered Here" thread. Your stay will be less unfriendly and more meaningfully cherishing. Let moderators Indian, Sunny, Jaispeak, and Landyabhai know if someone gives you a bother.

The Cop did act stupid and with excessive force. No doubt about it. THe police department is going to pay a lot of money to Chirag Patel

Nope so. Police department played legally safe. Policeman involved has been fired. Smart move on the part of local government. Now they cannot be sued for a cent more than 100,000. Which is unfair, medical bills alone of the victims will run more than that.

This was more of a power trip.....

Power trip is questioning and harassment part, since old man had committed no crime.

This was Violence. intentional Violence against a citizen. Obvious from the video.

I leave you to find the right word to describe conduct of all 3 policemen present on the scene, that is once they knew that victim was not responding to their commands. Deplorable comes close but not the right word... you try?

Now, good side of this. Everyone is this country is answerable. Yes, there are ass-holes everywhere including America .

It took video mounted on police car, and Indian media to take it on, or else police department didn't acknowledge nothing for close to a week.

How many Indian police officers have been fired to excessive force on common public ......zero...

It happens in India all the time, so its okay to happen to Indians in the US? Is this what you are trying to say?
ड्राइवर सांता बाजुवाल्ला के साथ बहस करना मुश्किल ही नहीं नामुमकिन है
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Agree on everything except the zero police officers part.. although the record of firing from govt jobs is anyway low in India. You pretty much have to kill somebody, if you recall the super movie on this .. Aakrosh.
Dude, please visit a lockup in desi prison to see definition of "excessive force"!! Use of brutal force /third degree is commonplace. I have seen pandus just slap somebody for no reason at all other than they looked at them wrong or something.

Coming back to dirty's point - its always a power trip in instances like this. Cops around the world - US, India anywhere - many of them are on power trips. They identify the kind of person that wont be able to fight back through process or connections, and pick on them. This only became a story because Patel uncle got paralyzed. If they had just done a take down, and even if there was some bleeding etc, this would have been a non-issue. In this alternative scenario, they would have roughed him up a bit and Patel junior would have scolded Patel uncle instead about taking pangas with police.
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:26 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
Dude, please visit a lockup in desi prison to see definition of "excessive force"!! Use of brutal force /third degree is commonplace. I have seen pandus just slap somebody for no reason at all other than they looked at them wrong or something.
Was I not saying the same thing? That across all govt offices firing is rare.. unless you kill somebody as a police officer you are unlikely to get fired?
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Coming back to dirty's point - its always a power trip in instances like this. Cops around the world - US, India anywhere - many of them are on power trips. They identify the kind of person that wont be able to fight back through process or connections, and pick on them. This only became a story because Patel uncle got paralyzed. If they had just done a take down, and even if there was some bleeding etc, this would have been a non-issue. In this alternative scenario, they would have roughed him up a bit and Patel junior would have scolded Patel uncle instead about taking pangas with police.

This is not an India vs US story. There is obviously no comparison. In India I don't know what action a civilian could have taken under similar circumstances. First of all, there would not have been a dash camera to record the events.

As a US citizen, I feel what happened was totally unwarranted. Mr Patel Sr got roughed up for absolutely no reason. Not being able to speak English isnt a crime. Walking on the bike path looking at houses isnt a crime. There was no reason for the cops to do what they did. Mr Patel is now going to be paralyzed for no reason. This is bullshit.

I do feel comforted seeing that the system is taking appropriate action against the cop. It makes me feel that there are checks and balances against police brutality. The racial aspect of this crime cannot be overlooked. If we don't stand up against racial crimes against our kind in this country, who will?

Old February 17th, 2015, 01:30 PM
dr.ibbler

drsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond reputedrsantabajuwala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

2 peas in same pod, you and dirty.

Its okay for Indians visiting other countries to be beaten up and left paralysed... why? What kind of stupid question is that... because Indians are used to being ill treated by their own police... is what you are saying, right. I don't know about your friend Dirty, do you have blue eyes and blond hair?
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:33 PM
dr.ibbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
As a US citizen, I feel what happened was totally unwarranted. Mr Patel Sr got roughed up for absolutely no reason. Not being able to speak English isnt a crime. Walking on the bike path looking at houses isnt a crime. There was no reason for the cops to do what they did. Mr Patel is now going to be paralyzed for no reason. This is bullshit.
Just when conduct and words of Dirty and Smelly were leaving me disoriented... yours brought some sanity back. Thank you.
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsantabajuwala View Post
2 peas in same pod, you and dirty.

Its okay for Indians visiting other countries to be beaten up and left paralysed... why? What kind of stupid question is that... because Indians are used to being ill treated by their own police... is what you are saying, right. I don't know about your friend Dirty, do you have blue eyes and blond hair?
Ama yaar - me and dirty are same same .. duplicate ID's.

No, I was not saying that it is ok. I was just saying that I agreed with Dirty that this was a power trip on the part of the cops. I dont quite see this as a racist incident. If it was, you would have got that sense from the dashcam conversations. They were just out to harass someone who, in their opinion, was not giving them their "due" respect. So they had to teach them a lesson.

And, I was also saying that this is not uncommon in the US (or many other countries). This only became an issue because Patel uncle got paralyzed. Anyone who has been in the US for any length of time will have witnessed one or more of these "takedowns". It is standard police procedure. It was completely incorrectly used in this case given the circumstances, location and age of the "offender", but thats where the power trip comes in.

Lastly, as a citizen of the US, I also condemn this dastardly act (MMS style) . I am glad that there is action being taken and that this was not hushed up. However, desis in India are going overboard with their reactions concerning racism, American police etc. To them I say, pehle apne girebaan mein jhaanko. This is an issue resulting from an isolated occurrence in a small town in Bumfuck, Alabama. Dont make this out to be an international incident!
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
This is not an India vs US story. There is obviously no comparison. In India I don't know what action a civilian could have taken under similar circumstances. First of all, there would not have been a dash camera to record the events.

I do feel comforted seeing that the system is taking appropriate action against the cop. It makes me feel that there are checks and balances against police brutality. The racial aspect of this crime cannot be overlooked. If we don't stand up against racial crimes against our kind in this country, who will?
As above, IMO, this was not a racist crime. The only racist element was that someone (allegedly) called the cops because they thought they saw a "black" man prowling their yards. I dont know if the 911 call has been made public yet or not, but the initial story was that Patel uncle was not just walking the bike path but also going onto their driveways and peering in through windows. This is not uncommon in India, I know. In the US its considered trespassing. So if that account were true, then the police rightfully had to approach the guy as a potential prowler. Thats when things went south. After the approach, things should have gone a lot differently. In fact, I would have been ok if they questioned or even apprehended him on that basis. But there was absolutely no call for use of such violent force.

If there has been an update on the initial 911/police call, then my apologies, I am out of date.

Again, this is my opinion, and I am entitled to one
Old February 17th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm........Sant Baju or whateverthefuck . Me Smelly, and Kalidas are saying same thing.

Read this.........

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...nd_arrest.html
and this
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-je...b_6675652.html

It was a newbie police officer. Every American including people here are behind Patel. We all are saying while this is wrong and Parker should be punished. This is not indicative of life in America. I will not be scared to call my father here and I will still feel safe.

There are a few isolated cop incidents but with steps being taken are a good way to fix the Cops Power trips.......
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old February 17th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

He is not going to be permanently paralysed - right? I thought paralysis was only temporary.
Old February 17th, 2015, 07:52 PM
dr.ibbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
He is not going to be permanently paralysed - right? I thought paralysis was only temporary.
Generally speaking, victim is normally in excruciating pain, has to wear neck brace, and practically live on a wheelchair. This extremely painful phase lasts till the day courts have settled the compensation amount. The day check has arrived in the mail is when true miracle takes place, victim gets off the wheelchair, throw away the neck brace, and goes out in the local park to play football. This is generally speaking for countries like US, UK, and Australia.

Written in jest...

Last edited by drsantabajuwala; February 17th, 2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Alabama Guv apologizes :-

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/46282623.cms
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It was a newbie police officer. Every American including people here are behind Patel. We all are saying while this is wrong and Parker should be punished. This is not indicative of life in America. I will not be scared to call my father here and I will still feel safe.

There are a few isolated cop incidents but with steps being taken are a good way to fix the Cops Power trips.......
I was telling the exact same thing to my cousin. This is not an indicative of how life really is in America.
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:53 PM
dr.ibbler

Quote:
I do feel comforted seeing that the system is taking appropriate action against the cop. It makes me feel that there are checks and balances against police brutality.
So much cowdung in one single post... an entire UP village can cook on it for a year. Your socalled System tried its best to sweep under the proverbial rug. God bless BJP government in Delhi and Arnab GoGoGoswami.

copy/paste of initial official statement...

Police say officers did try to question Sureshbhai Patel while investigating a suspicious person call in the neighborhood. According to the caller, a strange man had been walking into driveways and looking in garages.
Investigators say, while police were trying to speak with Sureshbhai Patel, he put his hands in his pockets. When they tried to pat him down, he pulled away. That’s when police say the officer forced him to the ground and he was injured.

Needless to add... worst atrocities are committed by the police in India... hardly a role model for the police to follow, not in civilised countries likes of US.