eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old October 4th, 2018, 06:37 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Was watching abc on my rabbit antenna when a new on Bret Kavanaugh was coming. Kid asks what it is about. I say “she says he harassed her in 80s”. He asks “why is she complaining after 36 years”.
Generally our thinking is that way, but I saw her testimony.. she said and I agree, her coming out won't make much of a difference to Kavanna becoming judge.. only her life will be hell from now on. She's an accomplished psychology prof.
Old October 4th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Was watching abc on my rabbit antenna when a new on Bret Kavanaugh was coming. Kid asks what it is about. I say “she says he harassed her in 80s”. He asks “why is she complaining after 36 years”.
I think a lot has to do with the fact that when you are a struggling actress (or an actor or a clerk in a big firm), no one takes your word over an accomplished and established person. Things are changing slowly but 30 years ago, it wasnt the case. I guess you can offer this line of reasoning which comes fairly close to reality.
Old October 4th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I think a lot has to do with the fact that when you are a struggling actress (or an actor or a clerk in a big firm), no one takes your word over an accomplished and established person. Things are changing slowly but 30 years ago, it wasnt the case. I guess you can offer this line of reasoning which comes fairly close to reality.
Problem with this reasoning is... things change... and things include people. People include men... and/or women. Everything changes... everyone changes. To claim someone harassed someone 30 years back... and should be prosecuted today, leaving nothing to change... that is crazy. If he should be a judge or not should be based on what he is today... not on what he did 30 years ago. Even criminals get jailed... why? Why because the hope is that jail will change them... change them into good persons. And here we are... with this poundmetoo agitation... forcing people back to be what they were 50 years back. This is a regression of humanity

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old October 4th, 2018, 11:11 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The accuser was in High School, so was the accused. They have both become accomplished in different fields now.
Details of the case are here
The arguments seems to be evenly poised. The evidence wont stand much of a chance in a criminal court, but could sway some senators into not confirming this Judge and the chances may not be so bleak in a civil case.

But the timing of this does not need an Einstein to guess the reason 'He is about to become a judge'.
Old October 4th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
Problem with this reasoning is... things change... and things include people. People include men... and/or women. Everything changes... everyone changes. To claim someone harassed someone 30 years back... and should be prosecuted today, leaving nothing to change... that is crazy. If he should be a judge or not should be based on what he is today... not on what he did 30 years ago. Even criminals get jailed... why? Why because the hope is that jail will change them... change them into good persons. And here we are... with this poundmetoo agitation... forcing people back to be what they were 50 years back. This is a regression of humanity
I suppose if he apologised things would be different? Accept and apologise to begin with, if the man/ woman changed?
Old October 4th, 2018, 03:06 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

He is the same.. the way he was asking dem senator if she drank and passed out.. outright disrespectful.. mofo blew it.. there are other allegations more recent sbout sexting a family friend’s wife

You gotta watch this from John Oliver .. rips Kavanna and his shameless behavior ..

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I suppose if he apologised things would be different? Accept and apologise to begin with, if the man/ woman changed?
This I agree with. A simple apology... for the times gone by... would have put this behind him. And he would have got enough support to get him through. Duffer, I say.

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
This I agree with. A simple apology... for the times gone by... would have put this behind him. And he would have got enough support to get him through. Duffer, I say.
I am trying to understand what you are trying to say. Its clear you want to convey something.

What should be done with the accuser and the accused if it happens after, say, 30 years?
Old October 5th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Quote:
I am trying to understand what you are trying to say. Its clear you want to convey something.

What should be done with the accuser and the accused if it happens after, say, 30 years?
I will answer your question with another question... why do we imprison criminals? For example, a simple theft... and the imprisonment is a few months, maybe some years. Why do we do this?

Old October 5th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
I will answer your question with another question... why do we imprison criminals? For example, a simple theft... and the imprisonment is a few months, maybe some years. Why do we do this?
you answered your own question in #3108
My point is, reforming the accused is only a part of the deal. You put them away hoping (in the same order)

1. They no longer are an immediate threat to the society or themselves.
2. The time served will somehow make the a changed person.

Your logic follows step 2 followed by step one (incorrect order).
Old October 5th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Quote:
you answered your own question in #3108
My point is, reforming the accused is only a part of the deal. You put them away hoping (in the same order)

1. They no longer are an immediate threat to the society or themselves.
2. The time served will somehow make the a changed person.

Your logic follows step 2 followed by step one (incorrect order).
The main goal is to reform. But if the crime is harsh then the hope is to get them out of society by giving life imprisonment or hanging. The point I am trying to make is... people change. Trying to punish someone for a crime they did 30 years back is like... like... hey, what about Valmiki? Why not prosecute Valmiki for the crimes he did