eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old August 8th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Banned

Dude is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Everybody says I am fine (Dont miss this movie at all )

Guys you all gotta watch this movie .

This one is again by an Indian

Here in India it got a 4 star Rating and is simply another gem of a movie .

Do watch it guys as I seldom recommend a movie and when I RECommend one that means it has something worth watching
Old August 8th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Banned

Dude is on a distinguished road
Everybody Says I’m Fine!
Dir: Rahul Bose
Cast: Rehaan Engineer, Köel Purie, Pooja Bhatt, Boman Irani, Ananhita Uberoi

________

Everybody Says I’m Fine — a film that exposes the truths that people prefer to sweep under the carpet. It is one thing to be a fly on the wall, quite another to read people’s minds. How often we have wished we could. But Xen (Engineer), the protagonist, is a hairdresser who can read the minds of those he comes into contact with but he finds no comfort in his idiosyncrasy. Instead it troubles him. A hairdresser with his own salon, as scissor goes over comb, Xen hears the most intimate thoughts of his clients. He exudes a sensitivity and calm that quite belie his own demons.

Most of the action is set in the salon. Occasionally we wander into Xen’s inner sanctum, feeling slightly like intruders as we do. Very rarely do we step out of his cocooned world into the world of others. Into the worlds, and thoughts, of a rejected industrialist wife Tanya (Bhatt), into the catty and busybody world of Misha (Uberoi) which demonstrates that people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones, into a juvenile teenage romance and into the frightening world of Mr Mittal and his mistress. The only world Xen doesn’t access is that of avant-garde Nikita (Purie).

Xen becomes the guardian angel for these not-so-fine folk, finding ways of healing and solving. However his enthusiasm to help others is offset by the paralysis of his own condition. Until Nikita — his own ‘thoughtless’ client — comes into his parlour.

The bubblegum banter and candyfloss colours pale with the climax — a violent and emotional catharsis. A point when things finally look like they might be fine.

Limited sets, stage-like directions and performances, over-the-top costumes and styling and a few inexperienced performers aside, Everybody Says I’m Fine has soul, substance, some fine performances and an interesting soundtrack. Foremost, it is a film with guts, which tackles bold themes and leaves you with plenty to discuss over a cup, or cups, of coffee.