eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old May 27th, 2016, 05:37 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute
Pork

Why do Hindus who eat chicken and mutton avoid pork, bacon or sausage.
The Chinese pork dishes may not go well with Desis, but Desis avoid Peperoni pizza among others too.
Old May 27th, 2016, 06:11 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pork

i ate bacon once in goa . found it too salty in taste .
Old May 27th, 2016, 06:22 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

problem is , most of the butchers in india are muslims . and they refuse to butcher or sell pigs for food as pigs are considered unholy in islam .

so there is problem of lack of availability of pork in non veg restaurants . so hindus have not developed taste for pork .
Old May 27th, 2016, 07:12 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
I ate ham in Goa. They used to serve it in breakfast. That's good.
I tried Bacon in England as a part of trying authentic English breakfast. Yes. It is too salty. And once over there, 3 of us Desis went with Angrezs to a Chinese restaurant. The guys ordered some pork wrapped within rice. I volunteered to finish the portions on behalf of other Desis too. Even me who tries everything found it tough to eat. The smell itself would drive many Desis away.
Quote:
problem is , most of the butchers in india are muslims . and they refuse to butcher or sell pigs for food as pigs are considered unholy in islam .

so there is problem of lack of availability of pork in non veg restaurants . so hindus have not developed taste for pork .
That's a great logical explanation.
Only, many Desis in Umrika avoid it like beef.
May be it is psychological.
Old May 27th, 2016, 08:41 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

In India pigs are seen as dirty animals.. the mental picture of a pig is not the pink weird animal but that of one eating trash and soaked in sewer crap. I tried bacon strips with eggs, tastes great but I don't want to eat red meats.

This one amru colleague of mine used to say.. Pig is the most amazing animal, it eats trash all life but tastes so good.
Old May 27th, 2016, 09:15 AM
be badass

MsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant futureMsShaanze has a brilliant future

Let me tell you that pig's meat can be very clean & tasty. I had a Muslim boyfriend who used to say, pig's meat is considered as haraam, made you a sinner. Whenever I cooked for him, I put all kinds of meat concoctions in his soups & stews. He could never tell the difference, only polished it off saying that he still had to atone for his sins! I being a Hindu, on the other hand, never had any food fads
Old May 28th, 2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsShaanze View Post
Let me tell you that pig's meat can be very clean & tasty. I had a Muslim boyfriend who used to say, pig's meat is considered as haraam, made you a sinner. Whenever I cooked for him, I put all kinds of meat concoctions in his soups & stews. He could never tell the difference, only polished it off saying that he still had to atone for his sins! I being a Hindu, on the other hand, never had any food fads
Another Love Jihad.
Old May 28th, 2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
In India pigs are seen as dirty animals.. the mental picture of a pig is not the pink weird animal but that of one eating trash and soaked in sewer crap.
That is the psychological part. Came as a hurdle when i was trying ham in Goa. Go neutralized by the fact that it was a part of complimentary breakfast.

Quote:
I tried bacon strips with eggs, tastes great but I don't want to eat red meats.
Thats why i added mutton to the question. Number of Desis who are into mutton is less, but even they seem to avoid pork, bacon, etc.
Old May 28th, 2016, 07:13 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Thats why i added mutton to the question. Number of Desis who are into mutton is less, but even they seem to avoid pork, bacon, etc.
if you eat pork that is not cooked well, you run the risk of developing roundworms which even enter your brain. Quite a way to get parasitic brain fever and die. Happened to Leander Paes few years ago, and he barely survived.

Another reason not to eat pork.
Old May 28th, 2016, 08:13 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
if you eat pork that is not cooked well, you run the risk of developing roundworms which even enter your brain. Quite a way to get parasitic brain fever and die. Happened to Leander Paes few years ago, and he barely survived.

Another reason not to eat pork.
I see the prophet was right then
Old October 27th, 2017, 08:42 AM

Many desis avoid pork because they feel the pig eats poop.
Some non desis also think the same
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

Now my thought yesterday was ‘doesn’t Shit also act as fertilizer and is used in the soil. So, why don’t we use the same logic while eating veggie food.
Old October 30th, 2017, 06:28 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
Many desis avoid pork because they feel the pig eats poop.
Some non desis also think the same
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

Now my thought yesterday was ‘doesn’t Shit also act as fertilizer and is used in the soil. So, why don’t we use the same logic while eating veggie food.
I dont think its anything to do with poop etc
Its mostly to do with the cultural upbringing. You are not used to eating bacon regularly back home. And like Sarvi said, the image of a pig is not that of a clean one in India.
Old October 31st, 2017, 05:45 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Pork

Quote:
You had the wrong bacon. The bacon quality in India is not at all great. Bacon is super tasty and adds that extra crunch especially when you have it with half-fried eggs as an accompaniment.
Old October 31st, 2017, 05:47 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

In rural areas, where there is farming, I have seen that villagers will kill a wild boar (which is a pig) and eat it. Wild boars destroy standing crops and villagers hunt it down.

In historical accounts of kings in India, hunting wild boars has been mentioned many times.
Old October 31st, 2017, 05:48 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

My Keralite friends tell me that Pork is quite common even in Hindu households in Kerala.

I have found certain types of pork like pork chops, pork ribs and bacon to be quite tasty.