eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old August 27th, 2018, 11:10 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Ashdoc's movie review---Karwaan

This film is like a breath of fresh air that I was waiting to inhale ; it is a journey that truly reaches it's destination in more ways than one .

Dulquer Salman plays Avinash---a brooding young man who learns that his father has just died in an accident on a pilgrimage , and that he has received the wrong body . His father's body has gone to another city , and he has to go all the way there to exchange it with the body of the woman that he has mistakenly received . His friend Shaukat ( Irrfan Khan ) decides to help him by driving his van carrying the woman's body all the way from Bangalore to Kochi . On the way they also have to pick up the dead woman's granddaughter Tanya ( Mithila Palkar ) who studies at the hill station of Ooty . The karwaan ( caravan ) is getting some steam as the three join...

Two is company but three is crowd , especially if the third is a female who is free and westernised and liberated ; the conservative Shaukat disapproves of the exposing clothes of Tanya and the oh so stifled personality of Avinash is appalled that the unmarried Tanya has to carry out a pregnancy test on the way . Besides this fact , both men are carrying the baggage of problematic relationships with their respective fathers with them . But as the karwaan proceeds , it is the talkative and friendly personality of Tanya that helps Avinash come to terms with the his differences with his father . And Shaukat---he meets another female who helps him to come to terms with his past .

As the karwaan moves from Bangalore to Ooty to Kochi , it is moving in scenic countryside . That is what I had come to see the movie for anyway . And the cinematographer doesn't disappoint , providing breathtaking photography of the green tree topped mountains of Ooty and tea estates and mist in those mountains . And continues to show us shots of deer grazing in forests and resorts set in the backwaters of Kerala . But I got more than the superb photography of nature that I had come to see the movie for . For as the movie progresses , it gives us insights into life and tells us how to handle wrong decisions taken in the past .

And the past does come to catch up with the three , in more ways than one . While Shaukat has to confront criminals searching for him , Avinash gets to meet a woman he loved in years of yore . Mixed with all these situations is the effervescent personality of Tanya . By the time they have reached Kochi , the three have formed a bond . And the journey has changed the two men's life .

The whole movie is non serious and Irrfan keeps the audiences' spirits alive by cracking some real jokes and creating some funny situations with a dead pan expression on his face . Dulquer plays a serious person with repressed feelings . Mithila Palkar is pure joie de verve in her acting . All three act well . The language used in the movie is partly hindi and partly English . Due to this anglicisation of language it will be more appreciated by the educated crowd than the masses . Dulquer speaks decent hindi for an actor of non hindi speaking state . The film marks the Bollywood debut of this keralite actor .

Music and songs form an important part of the movie and they are really good . Suffice to say that I will be repeatedly hearing the songs of this movie long after I have finished watching it . Above all it is a film that moves along breezily with comedy situations but does not finish without filling you with emotion . That's what makes for a perfect film .

Verdict---Nice , real nice .

Four stars out of five .
Old August 28th, 2018, 06:27 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashdoc's movie review---Karwaan

I had to delete a post, please don't posts links to other forums, especially those that require a login.
Old August 28th, 2018, 06:36 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
I had to delete a post, please don't posts links to other forums, especially those that require a login.
The photo was not getting uploaded in large form . So I uploaded it from another forum where I had already posted it .
Old August 28th, 2018, 07:18 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt have to read it word by word. But can make out it is like a feel good movie with light comedy and a 'hat ke' theme.

Not for me BTW, on music, i dont usually like what others find good.
If the singer is Arijit Singh, Atif Aslam, etc., that is not for me.
Old August 28th, 2018, 11:38 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
I didnt have to read it word by word. But can make out it is like a feel good movie with light comedy and a 'hat ke' theme.

here's a nice song set in scenic countryside

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE
Old August 28th, 2018, 11:44 AM
senior echarchan

here's another nice song

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE
Old August 28th, 2018, 09:44 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like that stupid Zingadi Na Milegi Dobara kind of crap
Old August 28th, 2018, 10:25 PM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Looks like that stupid Zingadi Na Milegi Dobara kind of crap
from entertainment point of view , 'zindagi milegi na dobara' was a good movie . but the message it gave was all crap---

Old August 29th, 2018, 03:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdoc View Post
from entertainment point of view , 'zindagi milegi na dobara' was a good movie . but the message it gave was all crap---
huh... was that the message the movie gave? I took it as - dont just go after things because they are traditional, live your life as you would want it, not as others want you to - because you only live once.

Hence Abhay Deol calling off his wedding - which was setup because people expected it after mis-reading the ring fiasco. Hrithik not prioritising his job in the end because he had been doing it to get back at people and his situation in his childhood. Farhan finally facing up to his real father - even though the world and even his best friends thought his adoptive father was his real father and he had no qualms with life.... the roaming the world is a facade for the protagonists to realise the message.

Last edited by kkkk; August 29th, 2018 at 03:57 AM.
Old August 29th, 2018, 04:43 AM
senior echarchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
huh... was that the message the movie gave? I took it as - dont just go after things because they are traditional, live your life as you would want it, not as others want you to - because you only live once.

Hence Abhay Deol calling off his wedding - which was setup because people expected it after mis-reading the ring fiasco. Hrithik not prioritising his job in the end because he had been doing it to get back at people and his situation in his childhood. Farhan finally facing up to his real father - even though the world and even his best friends thought his adoptive father was his real father and he had no qualms with life.... the roaming the world is a facade for the protagonists to realise the message.
Yes , but the message of all these movies ( including karwaan ) is the same politically correct one---that money is not important and you should live your life doing the things you like .

It sounds good message while seeing the movie , but of course in real life money is important and many people are doing what they are not interested in just because there is money in it and neglecting the things they really want to do because there is no money in them .
Old August 29th, 2018, 04:45 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post

Stupid Sidhu said on Kapil show that, that nasal crooner Arijit is today’s Kishore Kumar.. I was like he’s everything that KK wasn’t.. same fuckin crying tune in every song, and you can fit any lyrics ..

thoda sa nahana, thandi hai to.. rajai me so jaana.. aaaa
Old August 29th, 2018, 04:51 AM
senior echarchan

TAMASHA is another movie I earlier saw that gives messages to following your heart . Nice to see in theatres of course , but such messages and ideas are hard to follow in real life and best left for films .

Ashdoc's movie review---TAMASHA

This is a film that will appeal to only a niche audience---those denizens of the world who are called by ordinary normal folk as 'filmy' people , at least in India . These are the people who could have done normal 9 to 5 office jobs and earn't regular money , but chose not to . Instead , they chose to follow their dreams and some of them remained strugglers---but they remained steadfast to their goal of being an artist . One of them ( Bollywood actor Anupam Kher ) was once asked what would he have been if he had not got any work as an actor , and he said ''I would have been an actor without work !! '' . It is as simple as that....

In this film director Imtiaz Ali asks us to follow our dreams , and not just remain a cog in a money making machine . He mocks those people who dance on their bosses' tune to earn their daily bread as nothing but robots , and says that their every movement is robotic . Needless to say , his ideas may not appeal to many of us , but he is a dream merchant---the industry he is a part of ( the film industry ) gives him the licence known as cinematic liberty....

So the hero ( Ranbir Kapoor ) grows up watching plays showing epic romances and listening to epic stories told by a story teller....and somewhere in him there is an actor yearning to play a part in them on stage , but his parents and upbringing force him to take up a boring routine job after a routine education . But one day on a vacation to the island of Corsica he meets a like minded person ( Deepika Padukone ) who is not only a beautiful woman but also a free spirit .

They two agree to spend the vacation together without telling each other their real names . So he becomes 'Don'---a gangster from a movie...and she becomes 'Mona darling'---the gangster's moll . And they have a whale of a time together . frolicking and dancing and enacting filmy scenes mouthing filmy dialogues among the friendly people of the island . When he says in the filmy style of erstwhile Bollywood actor Dev Anand that the 'valley of her beauty ( cleavage ) is exposed' she exposes it more by removing her outer clothes rather than cover her modesty . And when he changes his role from 'Don' to agent of interpol , she asks outrageously if the interpol agent has a pole !! They drink the fresh water from streams on the island by putting their mouth in the flowing streams and break into parties and make friends . But at the end of the vacation it is time to kiss and say goodbye....

But back in India Deepika feels that she has found her soulmate and her lifemate in Ranbir , and she would never find anyone like him again....She comes searching for him to a cafe he had mentioned he frequents and finally finds him....
And as they begin to date again , he finally proposes to her in front of his assembled friends....
But Deepika refuses !! She has found that back in India Ranbir is nothing but a money earning robot , a cog in a bread earning machine...a person who does a boring job in a boring office....a person who has lost his vitality in front of his boss and parents and his superiors....a person who takes time to switch off his mobile phone so that calls from his office would not disturb them before becoming physically intimate , rather than a passionate lover....

But Deepika refuses to give up on Ranbir however , for she feels that the Ranbir she met on Corsica was the real Ranbir....and the Ranbir she met in India is just playing the part meant to keep his parents and superiors happy....
She urges him to discover his real self and become an artist again , even if that means giving up on his dreams of climbing up on the corporate ladder.....and thus she sets him on a journey of self discovery....

So where will the journey of self discovery end ? Is Deepika's version of Ranbir his real self ? And will the two live life together ?? Watch the movie for the answer , even though the answer is an all to predictable one....

The first half of the movie is interesting , with Ranbir showing his acting skills amid the gorgeous photography of Corsica ( the streams are so crystal clear and the view of the sun from the rocky coastline is stunning ) and Deepika looking divine as usual....the second half is less interesting and slower paced but the climax is rousing . What I liked was the fact that the director stayed true to the message of the film throughout....Whether that message should be liked or heeded by us is another matter altogether.....after all , not all people are filmy and others may prefer normal humdrum lives...to each his own....

Why I found the film to be decent ?? Maybe somewhere inside me resides a filmy too...after all , I write all these film reviews...

Verdict---decent . Songs and music is good too .
Three stars out of five .
Old August 29th, 2018, 06:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes , but the message of all these movies ( including karwaan ) is the same politically correct one---that money is not important and you should live your life doing the things you like .

It sounds good message while seeing the movie , but of course in real life money is important and many people are doing what they are not interested in just because there is money in it and neglecting the things they really want to do because there is no money in them .
ofcourse Money is Important. however people have now started to live to work instead of to work to live.
My parents generation mostly worked 9 to 5, home by 6, dinner at 730 and loads of other things to be done.

slowly these things have changed and my generation now runs more after money in hopes that money gives us better life without limitations we thought we had in our parents generation.
Old August 29th, 2018, 09:34 AM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
Stupid Sidhu said on Kapil show that, that nasal crooner Arijit is today’s Kishore Kumar.. I was like he’s everything that KK wasn’t.. same fuckin crying tune in every song, and you can fit any lyrics ..

thoda sa nahana, thandi hai to.. rajai me so jaana.. aaaa
10 years Back, Asha Bhosle also got mad when Himesh Reshamiya compared himself to RD Burman.
Old August 29th, 2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
TAMASHA is another movie I earlier saw that gives messages to following your heart . Nice to see in theatres of course , but such messages and ideas are hard to follow in real life and best left for films .

Ashdoc's movie review---TAMASHA

This is a film that will appeal to only a niche audience-
Stopped reading after this. I am a mass audience. So wont appeal to me. While scrolling down noticed 'Corsica' and 'Moll' so took a look back. But looks like that was role play. even more yucky for me. Not for me. this one too.