eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Health

Notices

Health Discuss Health related topics...

Old June 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Wink 'Cigarettes, whisky & wild, wild women secret of my long life'

Now this is what I call a lucky bastard

Quote:
'Cigarettes, whisky & wild, wild women secret of my long life'

London: World's oldest man Henry Allingham attributes his longevity to "cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women". The Brit, who has spent 113 years and 14 days on this earth, is presently living at St Dunstan's care home for blind ex-service personnel, in Ovingdean, near Brighton.

The supercentenarian, who has seen three different centuries, six monarchs, two world wars, is the last surviving founder of the Royal Air Force.

Before him, a retired Japanese engineer named Tomoji Tanabe, who had died in his sleep overnight, was the worlds oldest man.He was 113 years' and 274 days' old and had more than 50 great-grandchildren. However, unlike Allingham, Tanabe had foregone alcohol and cigarettes all his life.

A St Dunstan's spokesman said that Allingham greeted the news that he had become the oldest man on Earth by simply returning to bed after breakfast for a celebratory nap.
He reportedly dislikes taking about wars. According to the Independent, he expresses his abhorrence for conflicts by saying: "War's stupid. Nobody wins."

He said in a recent interview: "Like so many, I have tried to forget my time in the war. In the last few years I have met other veterans, and we never spoke one word of the war, not one." Regarding the key to a long and prosperous existence, Allingham says: "I don't know if there is a secret, but keeping within your capacity is vital."

Allingham was born on 6 June 1896 in Clacton, east London, and his father died when he was a baby. One-hundred-and-thirteen years later his dynasty includes six grandchildren, 12 great-grandchildren, 14 great-great-grandchildren and one great-great-great-grandchild.

The 113-year-old spent over half a century married to his first and only wife, Dorothy, with whom he tied the knot in 1919, shortly after returning from the First World War. Together they had two daughters, Jean and Betty, who emigrated to the US and both died in the 1980s.

LINK
Old June 21st, 2009, 05:46 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 'Cigarettes, whisky & wild, wild women secret of my long life'

sutradharji , not everybody lives a long life with this kind of lifestyle.

yeah he's lucky to have lived this long -- but that is inspite of this lifestyle , not because of it.
Old June 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Not the cigarettes ... not the whiskey ... certainly not the company of good women.

His good fortune is to have breathed clean air, eaten foods free of chemicals,
and drinking water straight out of the tap.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:28 PM
Senior eCharchan

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

my nana ji, he is 108 years old, looks like he wil sure make records for world's oldest living human, he was a tall, handsome man in his younger days, he never tried alcohol,ciggarettes in his life
Old June 21st, 2009, 11:45 PM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric_yogi View Post

His good fortune is to have breathed clean air, eaten foods free of chemicals,
and drinking water straight out of the tap.
Yes. Sadly such quality of life is not prevalent everywhere except for these so called blue zones on our planet:

http://longevity.about.com/od/longev...blue_zones.htm

Strangely Mr. Allingham doesn't hail from such a place.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:27 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

. . . . . .
Quote:
zindagi badi honi chahiye, lambi nahin. - rajesh khanna in the movie anand
Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: 'Cigarettes, whisky & wild, wild women secret of my long life'

Now Khalid Ansari writes about this man.

Quote:
Fags, whisky & women gave him a long life
By: Khalid A-H Ansari Date: 2009-06-22

Henry Allingham (113), now the oldest man in the world, had once attributed his longevity to these vices

The man who once joked that his longevity was because of cigarettes, whisky and 'wild, wild women' yesterday became the world's oldest man, according to the Guinness Book of Records.

Henry Allingham, a World War veteran, succeeded to the title at the grand old age of 113, after the previous incumbent, Tomoji Tanabe, died in his sleep at his home in Japan, also at the age of 113. Tanabe was older by 252 days.

The Japanese still have roughly twice as many centenarians per head of population, their longevity being attributed to a combination of the right genes, helped by a diet low in animal fats.

But better medical care and higher birth rates mean that other countries, including Britain, are catching up on them.

In 1911, when Allingham was a teenage apprentice, there were an estimated 100 centenarians in Britain. In 2006, there were 8,970.

Born on June, 1896, the young Allingham signed up for the war thinking it would be a great adventure, but became the symbol of the sacrifice of a generation. He now believes war is "stupid".

"Nobody wins," he said recently. "You might as well talk first, you have to talk last anyway."

Allingham, and his wife were together for more than 50 years. He heads a family hat now includes his first great-great-great-grandchild.

He also has five grandchildren, 12 great grand-children and 14 great-great grand-childrenWhereas Tanabe put his longevity down to a daily glass of milk, Allingham, when asked how he had lived so long, said, "I don't now if there's a secret, but keeping within your capacity is vital.

"I've had two breakdowns, one during the war (World War II) and one after, but both when I was trying to
do the work of three men.

The trick is to look after yourself and always know your limitations."

A friend said yesterday Allingham was still letting news of his distinction sink in.

"He thinks he has got to a time where he is more than ready to go. But his mother used to say, 'Wait to be asked, Henry, wait to be asked'."

(Source: The Times and The Daily Mail)

LINK
Old June 22nd, 2009, 05:53 PM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooldude View Post
[/url]

Strangely Mr. Allingham doesn't hail from such a place.
Actually ... even better ... boiled veggies and potatoes ... steaks and pies made from stock fed fresh green. Even better place ... England of 19th century.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:45 PM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: 'Cigarettes, whisky & wild, wild women secret of my long life'

The veteran has bid adieu. RIP.

Quote:

World's oldest man Henry Allingham dies

First World War veteran Henry Allingham who last month officially became the world's oldest man has died at the age of 113.

Mr Allingham died in his sleep at 3.10am on Saturday at his care home near Brighton, after a life that saw him marked out as a national treasure. He was one of the last three surviving British veterans of the First World War.

He was also the last surviving founder member of the RAF, the last man to have witnessed the Battle of Jutland and the last surviving member of the Royal Naval Air Service.

On June 20 Guinness World Records had announced that Mr Allingham, who celebrated his 113th birthday on June 6, became the world's oldest man after the previous incumbent, Tomoji Tanabe, died in his sleep at his home in Japan, also at the age of 113.

He jokingly attributed his longevity to "cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women".

Mr Allingham, who became a familiar face at Remembrance ceremonies, was born in Clapton, East London, in 1896. After his father's death he was brought up by his mother, who persuaded him not to join up as soon as war broke out. When she died in 1915 he enlisted, serving first as a seaplane mechanic and then as a spotter, or bomber.

He later confessed that he did not realise what war meant when he signed up, but his experiences at the Third Battle of Ypres, widely known as Passchendaele, resulted in his nave enthusiasm for battle and glory that gave way to a passion for peace.

He once told the BBC: "War's stupid. Nobody wins. You might as well talk first, you have to talk last anyway."

The scenes he witnessed of soldiers waiting to go over the top at Ypres have stayed with him ever since.

"They would just stand there in 2ft of water in mud-filled trenches, waiting to go forward," he said. "They knew what was coming. It was pathetic to see those men like that. I don't think they have ever got the admiration and respect they deserved."

Mr Allingham and his wife Dorothy were together for more than 50 years, living to see his first great-great-great-grandchild. After the war he went into the motor industry, eventually joining the design department at Ford before retiring in 1961.

When asked how he had lived so long, Mr Allingham, who held the Legion d'Honneur, said: "I don't know if there is a secret, but keeping within your capacity is vital. "I've had two major breakdowns, one during the war and one after but both when I was trying to do the work of three men. "The trick is to look after yourself and always know your limitations."

Mr Allingham's nephew, Ronald Cator, said it was "a very sad day for the family". He added: "He had an incredible life - a hard one, and an enjoyable one in the last few years. "He was an incredible man. It's a very sad day for everyone."

Mr Cator, 75, from Acle, Norfolk, said he last saw Mr Allingham last month at his 113th birthday celebrations in London. He said: "He was very, very frail. I visited him in April as well and he had been going steadily downhill ever since then." Asked what memories he had of Mr Allingham from earlier years, he said: "I always remember him singing.

"He would sing all the old songs. He and my father would love to get together and have a good sing-along."

Since April 2006, Mr Allingham, who lost his sight as a result of macular degeneration, had been cared for by St Dunstan's, the charity providing support for visually impaired ex-Service men and women, at its centre in Ovingdean, near Brighton.

Robert Leader, chief executive of St Dunstan's, said: "Everybody at St Dunstan's is saddened by Henry's loss and our sympathy goes out to his family. "He was very active right up to his final days, having recently celebrated his 113th birthday on HMS President surrounded by family.

"As well as possessing a great spirit of fun, he represented the last of a generation who gave a very great deal for us. Henry made many friends among the residents and staff at St Dunstan's. He was a great character and will be missed."

Mr Allingham had five grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren, 14 great-great grandchildren and one great-great-great grandchild.

A funeral will take place later this month at St Nicholas' Church in Brighton.

Mr Leader said: "He was very active right up to his final days, having recently celebrated his 113th birthday on HMS President surrounded by family. "As well as possessing a great spirit of fun, he represented the last of a generation who gave a very great deal for us. "Henry made many friends among the residents and staff at St Dunstan's. He was a great character and will be missed."

Mr Alllingham's death leaves just two surviving British veterans of the First World War - Harry Patch, 111, who is the last surviving soldier in the world to have fought in the trenches, and Claude Choules, 108, who served in the Royal Navy.

Speaking from Fletcher House care home in Wells, Somerset, Mr Patch paid tribute to Mr Allingham, saying he was "very sad at losing a friend".

Prime Minister Gordon Brown paid tribute to Mr Allingham on Saturday.

He said: "I had the privilege of meeting Henry many times. He was a tremendous character, one of the last representatives of a generation of tremendous characters.

"My thoughts are with his family as they mourn his passing but celebrate his life."

A spokesman for Buckingham Palace said: "The Queen was saddened to hear of the death of Henry Allingham. "He was one of the generation who sacrificed so much for us all. "Her thoughts are with his family during this time."

Malcolm Rifkind, the former foreign secretary, said Mr Allingham's death marked "the end of an era". Mr Allingham left a legacy of memories to the nation, according to Dennis Goodwin, from the First World War Veterans' Association. He said: "He left quite a legacy to the nation of memories of what it was like to have been in the First World War."

Link
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Once when Khushwant Singh was asked about the secret of his longevity...he attributed it to 'scotch'... he said both his parents lived a long life...while his father died with a whiskey glass in his hand, his mother's last wish was a sip of whiskey, doctor unwillingly permitted, she took a sip and puked and died after sometime. Of course he has always exaggerated the importance of wine and women in his life..

Old July 18th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Senior eCharchan

tapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond reputetapasvi has a reputation beyond repute

Chaalo I know now that I am not going to live a very long life