eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old September 11th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute
Job Satisfaction : Project Managers vs Developers

Who likes his job more in IT?Managers or developers?
By satisfaction, I am not talking about free time available for family. I mean who enjoys his job more.

For this, we need to know day to day work of both.
A manager's job is to understand the project both from technical and functional perspective,its stakeholders, make the plan,understand the risks and mitigate them and take it to completion. In keeping so, he has to make sure that he is on friendly terms with all stakeholders(external and internal).
When does a manager feel satisfied :-
1.) When stakeholders are happy with the way project is going.
2.)When his project plan is applauded by stakeholders.
3.)When project is completed on schedule without many problems

A developer's job is to understand the technical perspective in depth and implement what he has been asked to.
For a developer, it is more of a problem solving exercise wherein he sees a problem and solves it either by himself or by looking up internet. When a problem is solved , he feels a certain kind of satisfaction. Also, when there aren't many defects in his code, he is happy.
At the same time, he has to make sure that his manager's ego is not hurt. Otherwise, it may cause issues for him.

I understand that a manager's job is a bit more difficult since he does not have time to go into details of technical and functional details of the project but still he has to acquire a mastery of it.
Old September 11th, 2016, 08:06 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job Satisfaction : Project Managers vs Developers

Is why I don't appreciate micro managers. I'm more of a technical person with a keen eye for processes.

I have enjoyed my job in IT very few times, only when work was challenging and processes were followed to the hilt. We achieved the work of 10-12 developers with only 4 developers because of super usable documentation and high levels of integrity, responsibility. Just 3 years in my first job and since then I've hardly had to stretch for the next 8 years, life has become crappy.

Met few PMs that had a great grip on the project, many I see in my world are just acting as coordinators/scrum masters .. is there a difference?

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; September 11th, 2016 at 08:08 PM.