eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Science and Technology > Technology

Notices

Technology Discuss all things technology that dont fit in the Computing forum...

Old July 10th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by gossipmonger
This question was part of an 9th standard exam in an indian school.

Quote:
Originally posted by echarcha
I remember that this was a question which our Science teacher in 9th standard asked us once
Fukkin' Small World!!!
Old July 10th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Junior eCharchan

gossipmonger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Big-G

Not completely. Like I said, it is because of both intertia as well as action-reaction. Inertia funda doesn't explain why the dust particles would jump to a height two times from the height they were initially.

If the kids didn't get it right, the teacher too was a pedantic dumbass.

Dumbass my foot..its you who is the dumbass...who ever said anything about the dust particles jumping up and reaching twice the height ...the question was simple and restricted to "why the particles fell of the mat" and as far as the third law is concerned well the dust particles didnt fall of because a force was applied to them by an object(in this case the stick or the mat itself). In that case Im sure you would have explained our falling forwards in a car when it comes to a suddens top by the same theory ...I suppose...
you moron go get your facts straight...
By the way Im sure the kids were explaining why the dust particles fell of instead of them reaching a height twice their original height.
Old July 10th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Junior eCharchan

bombay_guy is infamous around these parts
Quote:

Dumbass my foot..its you who is the dumbass...who ever said anything about the dust particles jumping up and reaching twice the height ...the question was simple and restricted to "why the particles fell of the mat" and as far as the third law is concerned well the dust particles didnt fall of because a force was applied to them by an object(in this case the stick or the mat itself). In that case Im sure you would have explained our falling forwards in a car when it comes to a suddens top by the same theory ...I suppose...
By the way Im sure the kids were explaining why the dust particles fell of instead of them reaching a height twice their original height.

Please stop croaking and go back to whichever well you came from.
Thank You.
Old July 10th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Senior eCharchan

Big-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud ofBig-G has much to be proud of
Quote:

LOL. Kya bhadak reli hai !

Ok. Sorry. I take back the 'dumbass' thingie. I'll just say that the teacher was an ignorant retarded little worm, who has just swallowed all the crap fed to him by the textbooks (without chewing on it) and is just vomiting the same in front of his student without giving it any thought of his own.
Gossipmonger... you are pretty dumb yourself.

I'll go slow this time. Try to see if you can understand. The question was, "Why to the particles fall off the mat". What you didn't realise in your snail-skulled little brain was that the particles fall off in two ways. One by jumping out of the mat and other by staying where they are while the mattress moves away. So you see, there are TWO ways in which the particles are falling off of the mat. So, it's still within the purview of the main question. I gave the explanation for both, while you were not willing to look beyond what your 40-paged NCERT text book told you.

As for the falling forward theory when a bus stops, again it's not just intertia but a combination of inertia and friction. You see, when the bus applies the brakes, your fat butt resting on the seat comes to a sudden stop along with the but, because of the friction between your butt and the bus seat, while the rest of the body continues moving because of inertia. And that is the reason why you FALL forward. If there were no friction, you wouldn't have fallen forward but you'd have slid all the way to the front.

P.S.: Now tell me, honestly the physics teacher in question is YOU, isn't it?
Old July 10th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Source Integrator

CyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to allCyberKhiladi is a name known to all
its jus one of days girls get mad at minor things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whos with me on that?
Old October 26th, 2006, 08:10 AM
We change, values don't

2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute2gud has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A physics question - Why do dust particles fall of when you beat a rug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-G
LOL. Kya bhadak reli hai !

Ok. Sorry. I take back the 'dumbass' thingie. I'll just say that the teacher was an ignorant retarded little worm, who has just swallowed all the crap fed to him by the textbooks (without chewing on it) and is just vomiting the same in front of his student without giving it any thought of his own.
Gossipmonger... you are pretty dumb yourself.

I'll go slow this time. Try to see if you can understand. The question was, "Why to the particles fall off the mat". What you didn't realise in your snail-skulled little brain was that the particles fall off in two ways. One by jumping out of the mat and other by staying where they are while the mattress moves away. So you see, there are TWO ways in which the particles are falling off of the mat. So, it's still within the purview of the main question. I gave the explanation for both, while you were not willing to look beyond what your 40-paged NCERT text book told you.

As for the falling forward theory when a bus stops, again it's not just intertia but a combination of inertia and friction. You see, when the bus applies the brakes, your fat butt resting on the seat comes to a sudden stop along with the but, because of the friction between your butt and the bus seat, while the rest of the body continues moving because of inertia. And that is the reason why you FALL forward. If there were no friction, you wouldn't have fallen forward but you'd have slid all the way to the front.

P.S.: Now tell me, honestly the physics teacher in question is YOU, isn't it?
Big-G whether you read this or not, but I think I have a duty in pointing out that whereas as you identified (correctly) that there are two ways by which the particles may leave the confines of the rug -

1) by staying where they were (relative to the ground) while the rug moves away on being impacted by the stick and

2) by being set in motion (relative to the ground) after receiving the force themselves which gets transmitted through the rug via waves

The first way as already discussed is due to the law of inertia, that is particles are leaving the confines of the rug by being at rest even as the rug moves away with a jerk. The 2nd way is NOT due to 3rd law of action-reaction, but due to the 2nd law.

The third law simply says that when a body applies a force on another, it also gets subjected to an equal force in magnitude but exactly opposite in direction. To explain why the particle leaves the rug, this law is not relevant because it simply says when the rug does apply the force on the dust particle (force transmitted via waves), it also experiences the same force.

Now how does second law apply: this law states that if a force is applied on a body (dust particle) it will experience acceleration, that is exactly what is happening in case 2, the particles are set in motion (from a state of rest, that is why accln) and thus leave the confines of the rug.