eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old August 31st, 2017, 10:22 AM
Senior eCharchan

Shringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond repute
Learning New Languages

Hi,

I am trying to learn some ancient languages. The going has been difficult. I want to know if any one of you has learned a new language in adulthood. If so, I would like to know your experiences - till what level did you reach? How much time did it take? What did you do to get there?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Old August 31st, 2017, 11:39 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Learning New Languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shringarey View Post
Hi,

I am trying to learn some ancient languages. The going has been difficult. I want to know if any one of you has learned a new language in adulthood. If so, I would like to know your experiences - till what level did you reach? How much time did it take? What did you do to get there?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
is this dejavu???
why i do remember you asking this early this year?
Old August 31st, 2017, 01:28 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
is this dejavu???
Earlier he wanted to know how to do it... now he wants to know how to survive and be successful. There is a difference

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old August 31st, 2017, 02:06 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
Earlier he wanted to know how to do it... now he wants to know how to survive and be successful. There is a difference
Some people don't understand modern languages.

Sent from my iPhone.
Old August 31st, 2017, 03:27 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charchila View Post
Some people don't understand modern languages.
Sorry. I am trying my best... to understand

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old August 31st, 2017, 05:55 PM
Senior eCharchan

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of

Few Thoughts :

• Adulthood is not the right time to learn any new language inside out. The grasping power remains low and not as sharp as the row age. It’s practically impossible to fluently read, write and understand to the fullest extent.
  • To learn any new language you need to reside in that community for certain duration, to read, write, understand, pronunciation quoting as well as understanding the other people. Book reading is just to pass the exams.
  • What ever otherwise you learn from outside is just knowing few words and couple patent sentences and that does not solve the problem,…
e.g.

I learnt also Sanskrit long ago during HS and it was only few words, few patent learn by heart, sentences and that’s it,….. for passing the exams,… and later you forget it all.

Likewise, In US also kids take third language either French or Spanish or German,.. etc but again,…… it’s just to learn few words, few sentences and passing the exam,…. No1 can go to that country and efficiently communicate in reading, writing and understanding skills,.. absolutely no way ( by, learning in books )

In row age, whatever the amount of languages,.. you learnt is yours,…
and in case of new languages,…. in adulthood, is absolutely NO, NO,….

It may end up only knowing few words and just like Americans who come to India and speaks Namaste, Main aap ko pranam karata hun . main aap ka aabhari hun,.. and such “ rutting / tota knowledge “ of unnecessary bull-shiittts non-sense, without any context for making any kind of sense, scenario or event,… !!

You will also end up da same, for German, Chinese, Spanish or French.

Old August 31st, 2017, 09:57 PM
Senior eCharchan

Shringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond reputeShringarey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
is this dejavu???
Ashika,

I am writing out of frustration. I have been trying, but for me the progress is there, but slow - painfully slow. The amount of time I am spending on it is not funny.

I just wanted to know what the problem is - am I a poor learner, is the language difficult, or acquiring a language is a slow process. Hence I asked for experiences.
Old September 1st, 2017, 03:46 AM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Try learning Egyptian hieroglyphics ..

Old September 1st, 2017, 05:33 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

What language are you trying to learn? South indian languages are tough Tamil, Malyalam, etc
Old September 1st, 2017, 06:06 AM
2’

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi,

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
I learnt Deustche at the age of 22 (which is now ages back)

I started in a PSU which was an Indo German collaboration (or Indische Deustche ZussamenArbeit). It was a part of our training.

It was only G1 elementary though. You get to know terms like good morning, how is it going, etc.
More courses would have given a good grasp.

The training was at a local 'Max mueller bhavan'. At the completion, the chief guest who spoke good German was an industrialist. He was in news sometime back not for pleasant reasons though
Old September 1st, 2017, 07:58 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ashika,

I am writing out of frustration. I have been trying, but for me the progress is there, but slow - painfully slow. The amount of time I am spending on it is not funny.

I just wanted to know what the problem is - am I a poor learner, is the language difficult, or acquiring a language is a slow process. Hence I asked for experiences.
its probably got to do with the kind of language you are learning.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 07:53 AM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
Try learning Egyptian hieroglyphics ..
I can read it. REALLY. HONESTLY. I know the script very well - but I do not know the language. Not bullshitting.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 08:13 AM
2’

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

in Hyderabad, there is CIEFL. Couple of my relatives were learning Spanish dunno why). If you persist , you can learn the language. And you need to practice also. For each language, there is a center like for German, Max mueller bus van. For French Allaince Francaise. In Delhi, they had something for Japanese too. (I learnt a bit of it- Gakosu means student, kangofu means nurse etc.) if you need more help, more details are needed. To start with, what is th language.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 10:40 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Toyota and Maruti actually send their senior employees to learn Japanese in Pune from some institute for a month.. no hindi, english, marathi for a month.. only Japanese. This is how kids learn growing up and it's the fastest way. You have to immerse yourself in an environment of the language. Most proper teaching mechanisms are based on this principle. Learning in a group (especially as a family) helps since you begin to converse in new language all the time.. enhances learning.
Old September 4th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Super eCharchan

kalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond reputekalidas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can read it. REALLY. HONESTLY. I know the script very well - but I do not know the language. Not bullshitting.
What does a man wearing an ox head and walking with his hands bent like a V, while pointing his fingers forward, mean?