eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Health

Notices

Health Discuss Health related topics...

Old December 1st, 2017, 10:39 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: CRAZY medical costs in USA

Here is advise from personal experiences -

1) If your elders are visiting you in USA, then DO NOT BUY travelers' insurance from India.

I have always bought it from https://www.visitorscoverage.com/ which is owned and operated by a close friend from my early days in the USA. I am not advertising his business but vouching for the insurance that they offer.

Many hospitals in USA have a list of international travelers insurance which they don't accept. Some prominent Indian insurance companies are on it.

2) Your elders MUST carry a M.D. doctor written prescription and bring their daily dosage medicines with them here. Not carrying medicines here is pure stupidity. Even a simple medicine for cough and cold or antibiotics becomes a rarity as doctors here will not prescribe them for you. The prescription should be carried to show customs in case they open the bags and find so many medicines.

I remember, I had a stomach upset and the simple Indian METROGYL works for me in such cases. Typically there is growling feeling in your gut and it feels as if you are having gases etc. You also shit bad and you go often. Not dysentry but stomach upset. Metrogyl works wonders. Just two doses and you are back to normal.

Once I did not have this with me, and went to the doctor here. They made me submit my stools to the lab. Then after 2-3 days they determined I had a bacterial infection. Then they prescribed some medicine. Thankfully a friend here had the same medicine with him and I took a few tablets from him. By the time the doctor here prescribed me a medicine I was fit and fine. I had told the doctor that when such things happen I take this medicine and even told the exact chemical composition, but to no avail. Finally, the medicine prescribed was very similar in composition to Metrogyl.

So point no 2 - get your stock of medicines

3) Elders get into an emotional state and want to visit you. However, they must get a proper health check done back home including all blood tests and any other tests like latest ECG etc. Getting admitted into a hospital here is very expensive and despite a US bought travelers' insurance, there are some costs you have to pay. Better to get all health checks done in India.

Offcourse if you they fall sick here then you had to admit them here, but follow point 1 above.

4) Many hospitals have urgent care and ER. Try going to urgent care because that is cheaper. Though you may have insurance coverage for yourself here, the charges you end up paying beyond co-pay are lesser than in an ER.

For example, if you get a terrible back sprain or some such malady which is not very worrisome but falls in a bothersome category, then a urgent care is better for that. One tip - many urgent cares accept non-insurance walk-ins. You will be surprised that if you say you dont have insurance, then you get a very discounted price and it costs less than what you would pay as charges beyond what your insurance covers!
Old December 2nd, 2017, 07:07 AM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CRAZY medical costs in USA

Great advice as usual. I recall having bought the insurance after PMing you few years back. Thankfully didn’t have to use it at all.

This year I brought from india 3/4 bottles of ear drops that cost $100 for a 2 ml bottle in US versus Rs 40 in india. Was thinking of selling for $20-30 to somebody

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; December 2nd, 2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 03:37 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
You will be surprised that if you say you dont have insurance, then you get a very discounted price and it costs less than what you would pay as charges beyond what your insurance covers!
I was hinting that in the posts below, but i was not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgars View Post
There must be some ‘insurer negotiated discounts’ too. How much were they. Probably if you don’t have insurance, these could still be there.
Quote:
There is a chance that this adjustment could happen even without insurance. Vaguely remember seeing some one get such discount in LA, or the bill said so.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 03:47 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Here is advise from personal experiences -

1) If your elders are visiting you in USA, then DO NOT BUY travelers' insurance from India.

I have always bought it from https://www.visitorscoverage.com/ which is owned and operated by a close friend from my early days in the USA. I am not advertising his business but vouching for the insurance that they offer.

Many hospitals in USA have a list of international travelers insurance which they don't accept. Some prominent Indian insurance companies are on it.
On my earlier visit to US, a couple of colleagues who were in the same apartment were hospitalized. Our HR told that they have to pay the bill and the travellers insurance could reimbirse it when they get back. Not sure if they ever got reimbursed.

My MIL visited us a couple of years after this. While she had travellers insurance, my son injured her finger a couple of days before her departure. From my prior experience, i advised her to bear it for a couple of days and get treated in India. APart from the insurance, in US, the docs would have asked for X rays, etc, where as in India, the docs would do a more simple treatment.

Quote:
3) Elders get into an emotional state and want to visit you. However, they must get a proper health check done back home including all blood tests and any other tests like latest ECG etc. Getting admitted into a hospital here is very expensive and despite a US bought travelers' insurance, there are some costs you have to pay. Better to get all health checks done in India.

Offcourse if you they fall sick here then you had to admit them here, but follow point 1 above.

Emotion is one thing, but losing years savings like my cousin is another. My Behenji and Jijaji sent his mom (behenjis sasu ma) back to India after they found some gap in the insurance.

I still have not called my Pitaji and mataji here owing to their known conditions.
Actually, many elders get bored here.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 04:50 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Actually, many elders get bored here.
My worry is exactly that .. when I get old I may not wanna stay here either.

I think the movie title 'No country for old men' kind of reiterates this..
Old December 4th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My Tauji, visiting his son (my cousin) was hospitalized for a few days. The bill came to 50-60k. The travel insurance which he had from India, refused to cover it. It said that existing conditions are not covered.

what happened after? they paid themselves?
Old December 4th, 2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
what happened after? they paid themselves?
The cousin paid it. You can pay in installments for such stuff.