eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Taaza Khabar - Current news

Notices

Taaza Khabar - Current news Discuss the latest news making waves...

Old September 20th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Banned

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of
Earthquake of magnitude 8 strikes off Mexico's southern Pacific coast

Earthquake of magnitude 8 strikes off Mexico's southern Pacific coast

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-41197831

it was a magnitude 7.1, epicenter 5 kilometers East/Northeast of Raboso, Mexico.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...ar20#executive

Quote:
A strong earthquake of magnitude 8 has struck in the Pacific off the southern coast of Mexico.

The epicentre was about 100km (62 miles) south-west of the town of Pijijiapan and at a depth of 35km, the United States Geological Survey said.

A tsunami warning has been issued for Mexico, Guatemala, EL Salvador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama and Honduras.
Today's earthquake in Mexico,..... happened today,...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

Hope tsunami doesnt destroy the south...the earthquake is not the most dangerous..is the after tsunami

Small waves so far. Likely the magnitude and the depth aided in mitigating the total wave height.
Its raining disasters on the americas.
The eclipse was an omen.

Now where are those locusts?

This is how we felt this earthquake here in Mexico City: I just watched a live broadcast from the state of Oaxaca. It seems all the coastal towns and cities were hit hard by the earthquake... the reporter sounded incredibly calm while visiting several places, widespread damage in the area... they pulled a man from the debris and performed CPR on him but it seems he was already dead when they took him to the hospital on a truck, felt a lump in my throat [IMG]file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Rakesh15\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG]I will search for collection centers tomorrow

[youtube]D276D9_R2wg

I wouldn't get the bug spray just yet. Mexico's largest earthquake occurred not too far away from where this earthquake occurred, so it could be recurring event, but drawn out over two or three centuries.

These earthquakes are separated by 220 years, so depending on how frequently that part of the subduction zone ruptured, that area could see a major event like this every 250-300 years. Roughly. It was not substations or any other major electrical infrastructure. Even if some part of the city were temporary without power, It was mostly to because of fallen cables or light posts.

It was Earthquake Lights. Here is a link to its Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_light

All the federal highways are open.

The damage has concentrated in small towns along the coast in the states of Oaxaca and Chiapas. Which sadly are the 2 poorest states in Mexico. With a lot of small towns with poor infrastructure and lots of old buildings.

CFE the Federal Electric Commission, reports that it has reestablished power on 90% of the 1.8 million customers in 5 states plus Mexico City that lost its power at some point because of the earthquake.

Mexico City on the other hand so far has proven to have learned its hard lessons of the past, and a city of 20+ million is working pretty much normal just hours after a 8.2 earthquake.

No oficial data yet, they only know about 20 buildings down till this moment.

https://twitter.com/SismoMundial/sta...19123216519168

https://www.facebook.com/Stereo100Xe...7025830662375/

https://www.facebook.com/noticieroen...9374874546008/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=aLAW4UF_o1k

Old September 20th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Banned

log1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud oflog1iszero has much to be proud of
Re: Earthquake of magnitude 8 strikes off Mexico's southern Pacific coast

My Chilangos friends claims this one was harder than that one in 19/09/1985, today exactly 32 years ago.

89 casualties till now

Much of the buildings and houses that collapsed were built pre 1985.

Due to being in an earthquake prone area, Mexico City actually has some of the strictest building codes outside of Japan.

That might be true but one is nothing with building codes when they are not enforced.

I have no doubt that bigger construction projects do have them enforced thightly but I don't think this is the case with individual/private home bulding.

In that random suburban street I took from Mexico city, none of the buildings looks much more than fast build concrete bricks stacked in between a concrete frame and some paint or plaster onto that. Not that this an insufficient building method. It would be more than good in 90% of the world. But concrete fastbuild bricks are not exactly known to be earthquake proof...

The quake depth 51 km (33 mi) had something to do with spreading the shock over a larger area. Shallow quakes cause more intense damage in the immediate area. As most know the land Mexico City (DF) is on amplifies quakes. Latest news says people are trapped in uncounted buildings, and this extends toward the epicenter where there's less known. There was lead time in the warning system for the capital, but something like 11 seconds, not the usual minute. Must have been terrifying, and on the anniversary of 1985. Hope they get all the survivors to safety soon. RIP. The numbers seem to be climbing quickly.

2 major earthquakes within 2 weeks, terrible. Just terrible.

Old September 20th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Banned

Must have been a terrible experience for those caught in the area.

Citizens are helping out in these pics. Gratifying.

Horrible. Death toll steadily climbing. The videos with collapsing buildings are surreal.

I AGREE

I AGREE

At least 138 killed as 7.1-magnitude earthquake rocks Mexico City

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-...UrfOcjPML.html

RIP all the victims
Old September 20th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Banned

R.I.P the poor victims
Can we do something? I mean, send money to help Mexico...it was activated a number or an account to collect funds?

Just as impressive as Japan's alertness.

I AGREE

That second last picture with the soldiers using pickaxes...

Nightmare fuel, you can feel the desperation of the situation. Imagine trying to reach a loved one under all that rubble. My heart is hurting so much for those victims. Ugh

The quake alert gave them around 10 seconds given the proximity of the epicenter. (Compared with the minute of the last 8.4 quake in chiapas)

Btw any info on the collapsed buildings so far? Surely most were older(maybe pre-1985) and or historical buildings. The fact this happened on the anniversary of the '85 quake is just shocking.
Most of them were very old and again, the zone of Colonia del Valle, Narvarte, Roma Norte seems to got the worst part as in 1985.

liquefaction effect seems to be magnified in that area, even more than in downtown were an island was located surrounded by a former lake.

Absolutely awful I was in Mexico City a few months back and loved the warmth and kindness of the Mexican people.

Most of the damage was within Central/south Mexico city, which it houses both the oldest buildings and the former lake bed.

Thankfully the building codes since 1985, have dramatically improved the quality of newer buildings that were able to stand with minor damage, most of them.

Also both the deep scars from 1985, have created a "effective" response from the authorities (pretty much the only thing they do somewhat right). Involving thousands of army, navy, federal police, red Cross within minutes / hours of the event.

I AGREE

I AGREE

Some of those videos were terrifying the way the buildings swayed !
Thoughts & prayers to our fellow SSC forumers in Mexico .

I AGREE

And just as in Sept 19, 1985 the people in CDMX responded and gave us the best image of the aftermath

I AGREE

Amazon has loaded this link to support the Red Cross

https://www.amazon.com.mx/b?ie=UTF8&...39ERKMS1WBEGEH

Death toll is now officially at 224. :/ Hopefully it will not rise more.

Old September 20th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Banned

Old September 20th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Temporarily Unbanned

Charchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond reputeCharchila has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was magnitude 9

Sent from my iPhone.