eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Culture > Cultural Exchange

Notices

Cultural Exchange Cultural topics - Indian and other

Old May 27th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can you be so weak minded? Students end life over exam failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykode View Post
sad news.
But the only ppl to take the blame is their parents. Ppl in India do not realize how much kids pick up from their parents. If parents come home and conti fight, crib... it has considerable effect on students. Also it is parents duty to guide kids during education.
Parents in India are often found comparing their kids with others.
Setting unreasonable goals and expecting kids to step up.

The next major factor is our stupid society. Our neighbors have this tendency to butt in and pay more attention in others house then our own. Even of parents are satisfied with low grades, it are the goons in the neighborhood that constantly remind parents that low grades is not good.

And the cycle continues. Sadly for some time, i do not see how this will change in India. I am thankful to my parents for never putting any pressure on me for studies.
Easier said than done....the fact that you are in USA as an underwear student speaks volumes about your parents' financial well being. What if your parents were barely able to make their ends meet and you were the eldest sibling with a younger sister?
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurandhar View Post
no other work than to post tease material all the time?....no defense
Tease material? when did i do that?
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Tease material? when did i do that?
you have been preciously doing just that...rings the bell?
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond reputeRakhi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
you have been preciously doing just that...rings the bell?
No......
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
No......
trust me...you need a cup of coffee right now
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Our generation, that is those who graduated from engineering or medical upto 1990 has worked our asses off and created the industries you see today. For example IT and IT offshoring. We brought in the goodies for our economy in India. We also had pressure but our hard work is now paying off and the kids of today are enjoying all kinds of things with a wide variety. Where do you think all this money came from? Its all because of our earlier batch of students who toiled and today we are creating new avenues for wealth generation.

We had problems, we had pressures, we did not have the numerous colleges that you see today. Exams were tough back then and the seats were fewer than today.

What the does the current generation want? Everyone is given a A grade and all are winners?? Lower the education standards and examination standards?

Where will all this lead to? Substandard engineers and doctors and other professionals? Folks who just want a easy education and then enjoy in multiplex and weekend rave parties? Or do they think that call center jobs are all that is needed in life to make a living?

I am not saying that students should be over burdened. I would like a overhaul of the syllabus and create courses which will allow folks to acquire practical applicable skills which can get you a job. But if the subject matter has to be learnt all the way, then how will diluting it work?

These students who committed suicide were from commerce branch, right? One of my cousins is toiling his ass off to get a Chartered Accountancy degree. He is also pursuing his M.Com. I see him toiling like crazy. He too can put his feet up and take exams lightly. Or maybe the college can say 'Okay the syllabus and subjects are too hard.. so its okay if you only understand how to read a balance sheet. No need to worry about tough calculations to create a balance sheet.' (The example is contrived, but you get the drift) How the fuck will he get a job where he can only read a balance sheet but not create one?

Or for that matter, lets dilute the medical syllabus and exam standards. So what kind of doctors will we get? 'Oh I only learnt about 10 diseases of the stomach because exam only required us to know 10 out of the 100. So sorry, your stomach seems to have the 11th disease, and I dont know about it, so go die now!'

What the fuck is this excuse? Here in USA, people are worried that students learn less and less of mathematics and science and other useful required subjects. In some school boards the level of education has been diluted and exam bars lowered so much that all can pass and all are called winners. This is a serious concern to many experts in the field. With these kind of diluted studies, what quality do you expect of the next generation? Already USA is losing its position as the technology leader and places like Korea, China are overtaking US in fields of science, technology and other areas.

Do we want India to just rest on our past laurels and then spiral downward into mediocrity and a generation which only wants cell phones, multiplexes and TV reality shows? Where will the money come from for all of these?

Even my parents were always on my ass to excel and study and what not. But I was sane enough to understand their intentions. It was not like my father would shoot me if I failed or did not get excellent marks in the exam. I did not think of committing suicide. All fucking excuses of a new generation who think that they can get into TV serials for acting or dancing on some stupid dance competition. Search the archives, one stupid girl committed suicide because her father asked her to stop her dance program activities for a year till her SSC exams were over and then she could continue.

And where are all these stupid dance show and singing show winners today? I dont even see them outside Andheri station singing like beggars do 'Shirdi Waale Sai Baba ...' or 'Tum Ek paisa dogey woh Dus laakh dega'. The poor beggars sing better and make a living.

Recently they showed parents outside the Zee TV Dance India Dance Little Masters. One parent was so upset that they were being asked to go back and come later. He was angry and said to the camera 'We have missed my son's exams to come here and now you ask us to go back' I felt like taking a chappal dipped in fresh cow dung from a buffalo from a 'tabela' in Jogeshwari and slapping it on this father's face. What kind of an asshole is he? Does he think his son will make a living just by dancing in some totally useless dance show? Does he think his son will be the next Jeetendra or Hrithik Roshan?

Even Tendulkar finished his BA degree, albeit with many breaks and after a long time, but he too wanted to have a degree.

Fuck these weak minded chewtiya kids!
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Life is BEAUtiful

sunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Easier said than done....the fact that you are in USA as an underwear student speaks volumes about your parents' financial well being. What if your parents were barely able to make their ends meet and you were the eldest sibling with a younger sister?
When I was born, my parents stayed in one house with 3 other brothers and their families. And mind you each family got one room which was big enough to only occupy one double bed.
My dad did not want us to have the same faith and his journey from that one room to where we are today was not easy.
And I have a elder brother , but even he was never forced to study. That being said, my dad wanted us to obtain higher education, but there was never a sword hanging on our necks.
Many other students have to support their family, I know. My best friend lost his father when we were in 10th std. His mom is house wife and he has two sisters. I know exactly how it is.
However I still say, putting pressure on students is not correct. It will only result in suppressing the kid and nothing more.

Old May 27th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dhuru bhau,

My father did not have money to send me to USA for a Masters. He went to the extent of taking a loan for my US studies but I stopped him. In those days, only Saraswat Bank in Mumbai had a scheme that would allow a student loan for studies abroad against collateral. Today banks give you loan to buy even a commode, but in those days they wanted to ensure that you will even sell your underwear to repay them. And education loans were extremely tough to get. Yet my father was ready to offer our home as collateral. I stopped him. He had already spent a lot for my engineering and it was time I earned some of the money back.

My dad could not finish his education beyond junior college as my grandfather passed away and suddenly he had to take over the family and look after 3 sisters and a younger brother. And then he had his own family to look after. He did not go and commit suicide saying 'Oh the pressure it too much'. He married off his three sisters, educated his brother, educate me and my sister. He had to really toil hard. And we kids were told only one thing - 'I will give you the best education I can afford but you have to earn that magical degree which will give you a lifetime of success and comforts'. Fuck, he could have said easily - 'Let it be Sunit, dont worry. Just somehow pass or give up your education and take it easy. I can understand your exams are tough.. Yes beta, take it easy'

Kya excuse dete hain aaj kal ke mall-roaming-cellphone-texting-jerking-off-in-multiplex chewtiye generation!

In those days, the salary for a engineer in any software or engineering company was pathetic. I started with a salary of 2,500 rupees. Then graduated to 3,000. Finally I got 5,000 and then realised this is not going to work out. This was late 90s, around 1996 or so. Then I decided to do something about it and H1 visa seemed to be the only way out. By 1997 I was making about 8,000 rupees. I had tried to get a loan for my own computer business from a bank but the fuckers refused (I have written about it before). Finally in August of 1997, I got my H1 stamped and in Jan 1998 I was here in the USA.

So my parents had done all they could to get me a 'qualification' which would open doors for me. What else could I expect? Getting jobs in SEEPZ (Andheri East where all software companies are) was not so easy and salaries were not what you get today as a fresher.

I did not committ suicide out of frustration! I did not give up hope. My sister's wedding was in the offing and I felt like I should contribute a lot to it, but my salary was so shitty.

Thankfully, my parents taught me good values and did not make me a weakling in thought. I decided to fight for it and came here. I did not come here out of my own will or fascination like 'Amrika jaunga.. majja karunga ... ' Not that I regret coming to America. It was the best thing that happened to my career.

I worked hard for it. Came here and worked hard and continue to work hard. That is why I get really angry and cannot tolerate such lame ass excuses like 'Oh the syllabus was tough, so I decided to kill myself'. Fuck, even I got a few ATKTs in college and the world seemed to be ending. But no, I kept at it.

Whatever the 'education experts' of today say, I dont agree with these bullshit excuses of too much 'peer pressure' and what not. Sub saala excuse hain. Gaand mein nahi goo, hagne chale juhu!

Last edited by echarcha; May 27th, 2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

Cha...I am touched by your life narratives. Keep up the good work.

Texas pai...I can agree with you but I am of older generation...so I am more in tune with what cha says

Last edited by dhurandhar; May 27th, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old May 27th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Life is BEAUtiful

sunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond reputesunnykode has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Texas pai...I can agree with you but I am of older generation...so I am more in tune with what cha says
SN: finished underwear long time back.

Old May 27th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Clown Prince

chitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond reputechitrala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Dhuru bhau,

My father did not have money to send me to USA for a Masters. He went to the extent of taking a loan for my US studies but I stopped him. In those days, only Saraswat Bank in Mumbai had a scheme that would allow a student loan for studies abroad against collateral. Today banks give you loan to buy even a commode, but in those days they wanted to ensure that you will even sell your underwear to repay them. And education loans were extremely tough to get. Yet my father was ready to offer our home as collateral. I stopped him. He had already spent a lot for my engineering and it was time I earned some of the money back.

My dad could not finish his education beyond junior college as my grandfather passed away and suddenly he had to take over the family and look after 3 sisters and a younger brother. And then he had his own family to look after. He did not go and commit suicide saying 'Oh the pressure it too much'. He married off his three sisters, educated his brother, educate me and my sister. He had to really toil hard. And we kids were told only one thing - 'I will give you the best education I can afford but you have to earn that magical degree which will give you a lifetime of success and comforts'. Fuck, he could have said easily - 'Let it be Sunit, dont worry. Just somehow pass or give up your education and take it easy. I can understand your exams are tough.. Yes beta, take it easy'

Kya excuse dete hain aaj kal ke mall-roaming-cellphone-texting-jerking-off-in-multiplex chewtiye generation!

!

With all due respect to you Cha Pai... you are oversimplifying the issue... committing suicide is not that easy... every cell of your body revolts against the decision... most of the time it can be done in the spur of the moment...

I am not justifying suicide... you can't empathise with them because you are built differently... we all think we've gone through rough... but there are worst cases around...there are people around living a hopeless and pathetic life without any reason... what hope does a limb-less beggar has.... what does he live for??... People live through and go through unimaginable situations just to keep on living... this lust for life is built in our system.

There are days when I dont want to meet anyone, talk to anyone or take any calls- all this for no reason. Then you've to push yourself into rhythm of things, put on a fake smile, force yourself to answer others and that's how you pass the day. Suppose if a really bad day coincides with such mood... suicide would seem to be a good option...

What I am trying to say is people are built differently... they react differently to different situation... some people can do anything to live.. some can't...

Want to write more but am not able to write it coherently...

Old May 27th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Senior eCharchan

Pratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond reputePratiksha has a reputation beyond repute

Blame the Govt. [Kangress]

1. Population control.
2. Illegal Bangs-Paks-Afghans-Chinks living in India. Adding to the population.
3. Reservations.

Population goes up, jobs go down, rat race goes up, educational pressure goes up.

Cant blame the parents, their intentions are always good to make sure their kids study and get ahead in the rat race, but seldom do they realize the mental pressure they are unknowingly subjecting their kids to.

If you dont get a good education you will not get a high paying job. Very sad state but it is true.

Govt makes sure that they make it as difficult for the citizens as possible.
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrala View Post
With all due respect to you Cha Pai... you are oversimplifying the issue... committing suicide is not that easy... every cell of your body revolts against the decision... most of the time it can be done in the spur of the moment...

I am not justifying suicide... you can't empathise with them because you are built differently... we all think we've gone through rough... but there are worst cases around...there are people around living a hopeless and pathetic life without any reason... what hope does a limb-less beggar has.... what does he live for??... People live through and go through unimaginable situations just to keep on living... this lust for life is built in our system.

There are days when I dont want to meet anyone, talk to anyone or take any calls- all this for no reason. Then you've to push yourself into rhythm of things, put on a fake smile, force yourself to answer others and that's how you pass the day. Suppose if a really bad day coincides with such mood... suicide would seem to be a good option...

What I am trying to say is people are built differently... they react differently to different situation... some people can do anything to live.. some can't...

Want to write more but am not able to write it coherently...
No I am not over simplifying. Bhau, at a age when I was supposed to be a little kid and live my life full of innocence and oblivion to issues reserved for grown ups, I was acutely aware of the situation in my family. My father had a business but it was not a ever growing always successful business. There were many times when my father was in financial tight spots. As a kid in school, when other kids around me were more worried about playing and homework and unit tests and semester exams, I had the additional 'burden' of knowing the financial situations and tensions due to it. I was quite aware and knew where the next rupee came for my education. My father always kept a stoic stance and never let us feel the pinch, but I knew, we knew.

So even I was acutely aware and knew where the money and how much hard work and other tensions went into paying for my fees, in school and in engg college. So yes I had burdens and pressures too.

Infact 'awareness' of real world situations helped me grow stronger. It made me strong enough to realise that I have to perform well, no matter what, and help the situation.

Bhau, the biggest problem anyone in India can face is MONEY. Whether you are rich, middle class or poor. Paisa hi sub kuch hota hain yaar. I remember incidents when students from our school were to go for a trip to some place for a 4 day trip. The cost was about Rs 500. In those days 500 bucks was a lot. I never told about this trip at home. I knew that the 500 rupees would be useful to my father for his business and household. Had I mentioned it, then I am sure my father would have paid up happily, but no, I felt it was a waste. And where the fuck were we supposed to go.. some shitty historical place.. some stupid fort. I didn't care. I had enough history to study in my textbooks. Yes, most of the syllabus was irrelevant to me then and its irrelevant to me now too. I mean who the fuck cares when Ashoka was born and when Akbar fucked a donkey! Yes we had shitty syllabus. I am all for changing the syllabus and making history interesting.

Then we had crap like Rabi crops and Kharif crops. Half the population does not know what the fuck food is, then what's the point of these Rabi and Kharif? Well, I am dumb, so I cannot comment, but they should change the syllabus.

The point of all this is that suicide is not a simple thing. Agreed. But to take such a step is cowardice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratiksha View Post
Blame the Govt. [Kangress]

1. Population control.
2. Illegal Bangs-Paks-Afghans-Chinks living in India. Adding to the population.
3. Reservations.

Population goes up, jobs go down, rat race goes up, educational pressure goes up.

Cant blame the parents, their intentions are always good to make sure their kids study and get ahead in the rat race, but seldom do they realize the mental pressure they are unknowingly subjecting their kids to.

If you dont get a good education you will not get a high paying job. Very sad state but it is true.

Govt makes sure that they make it as difficult for the citizens as possible.
Pratikhsa tai,

Shitty situations, reservations, population, et-al were all there in my time and are there today too. There is no use blaming the government. Each one for himself and God for all. One has to fight for oneself. Times were shit then and are shit now too in our system. Kya kare .. majboori ka naam Mahatma Gandhi
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Banned

ALBERT PINTO has a brilliant futureALBERT PINTO has a brilliant futureALBERT PINTO has a brilliant futureALBERT PINTO has a brilliant futureALBERT PINTO has a brilliant futureALBERT PINTO has a brilliant futureALBERT PINTO has a brilliant futureALBERT PINTO has a brilliant futureALBERT PINTO has a brilliant futureALBERT PINTO has a brilliant futureALBERT PINTO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
I don’t think the said generation should held in such contempt. Let them live their life as they want. Why impose your or mine mind-set on them.

I don’t know how prudent it is put to this whole story on a forum. Anyway, here is mine with the all the anonymity I could put.

My father was an army officer, and with it comes the usual ‘military discipline’; to which I was totally against. I always rebelled against his tyranny and lived my life as I want; which, in short, means ‘not being up to the expectations’ of all the near and dear ones.

I passed my 12th with 37% marks; so wasn’t eligible even for appearing any entrance exams of any 'big-brainy' courses like engineering and medicine. The obvious outcome was being thrown out of home.

Having no other choice, I was living with my grandparents. There also, life wasn’t easy. If I attend any extended family function, the whole clan had nothing else, but to talk about my failure only. Few of my uncles and aunts get startled when I they see I am getting too close to their kids (my cousins).

Meantime, while in 12th I appeared for NDA exam, and I got the call for SSB, which came at parents’ home. I was called back by my father, as he felt I have some ‘talent’ and he had this eagerness to see me in army uniform. I never meant to get into armed forces, I attended NDA exams, because all of my peer group were. So I refused to go for SSB. Again same naatak, I had to leave home.

Perhaps, my grandfather wanted to redeem himself from the sin of giving me such a ‘hitler’ kind of father; he took me under his wings. He paid some some capitation fee and all, got some ‘high-shot’ recommendation; and got me enrolled into a college. There I met this wonderful girl, who at that time was in awe of another guy who was extremely good in studies. The only way I could prove my existence was to beat him. Once I did that physically, but that put her away. So I had no choice but to beat him in his own field. Wow, what an inspiration that was – I topped not only college, but the whole university.

But deep down I wasn’t cutout for academics, so I had no interest in pursuing post-graduation. I had this classmate, who was my best friend too, had to leave his studies owing to his father’s untimely demise. He was managing his father’s small time general maintenance company. I joined him. After about 1 year, we started a trading company. It did well. Then we revived his maintenance company and ventured into contracting business with starting with 6 employees. 8 years down the line; we were doing well and we were 43 members strong.

Then came the bout of recession. Things started going bad. Before it could turn worse, we sold our business. Now, we are on sabbatical, expected till end of this or next year or some really good project comes on the way.

Well, in last 10 years made enough money, don’t know how to put it modestly, but made more money than I could have made as an average NDA/Army officer or engineer or doctor in 10 or 15 years.

So, whats the whole deal about? Why to push someone for studies? If he or she is not interested, let it be. Its not the end of the world.

By the way, today my dad is friend to me. Sometime, on weekends, after 3-4 pegs, its difficult to say who is father and who is son.
Old May 28th, 2010, 02:00 AM

tantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond reputetantric_yogi has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread. to you all.

Sutradarji ... you are coming too hard on prevailing generation of youth ... unfairly I must add. If you were to take away financial aspect and bulging middle class ... current generation is doing as tough as were your personal experiences.

Population growth and limited resources brings in heavy competition ... I believe Indian youth of today is tougher and smarter than we were. Otherwise ... to your children you had it easy as we thought our parents had it easy.
Kal Agar Hum Dost Ban Jaayen ... To Sharminda Na Ho!

LLKC ... pure and unadulterated ... LLKC!

दूर से देखने पर तो यही लगता था ... 'वाह! वहाँ क्या मजा होता होगा!'
बुरे फसें 'मजाल', आ कर जन्नत में ... हमने तो सोचा था, कुछ नया होता होगा!