eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old February 29th, 2016, 05:03 AM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Ashdoc's movie review---The Revenant

The scene is of the wild west ; but instead of the action being fought out in the desert , the events occur in a scenery abounding in the vastness of snow . Leonardo di Caprio is guiding a troop of american soldiers in treacherous territory swarming with native Americans who rightly feel that the descendants of europeans have illegally grabbed their land . His troops have already suffered a devastating attack in which many of their men were killed by the natives....and it is his job to find a way through all this to safe territory . The few men left with him depend on him to carve a way through deep forest and tall mountains and winding rivers...all this in the notoriously cold climate .

But fate strikes a cruel blow in the form of a bear who attacks Leonardo savagely till he is badly wounded . The scene of the bear attacking is so real that it was tough to watch....I was watching through the gap in my fingers covering my face . Frankly , after this everyone hopes that Dicaprio falls dead so carrying him won't be a burden on them . But the captain of the troops offers an award to anyone who will stay behind to take care of Dicaprio . And two men volunteer to stay .

But one of them forces the other to abandon Dicaprio and they leave him to die . Also they kill Leonardo's half native son ( born out of a relationship with a native american woman ) who tries to stop them .

So will Leonardo live ? Will he survive the bitter cold and the snow ? Will he survive the wounds caused by the bear---which fortunately have been stitched by the captains orders ? Will he survive the swarms of native americans swarming the territory with hate for their european descended conquerors ? What about the fire of revenge that is burning inside him because of the murder of his son ?
Watch the movie for the answers....

The director has created some really tough conditions for Leonardo to survive---watching them is an entertaining ordeal . The colours of the film are dull , which serve to highlight the starkness of the topography and the realism of the film . Photography is splendid---of water dripping from melted snow , of cavalcades of animals rushing through the landscape , of reindeer crossing slithery rivers , of rivers curving through forests of tall trees photographed from high vantage points , of snow gliding down from tall mountains .

All through this Leonardo sees visions of his long dead wife encouraging him on . The fighting is really grim---bullets fired through accurate rifles and deadly arrows fired by native americans which find their mark . The action lacks the self mocking nature of other films ; every fight is a fight for life , for survival against the odds....and the film is dead serious with no funny one liners or wise cracks....serious enough to win an oscar or two .

Verdict---Good .

Four stars .
Old February 29th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Banned

Jagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashdoc's movie review---The Revenant

This Movie : Revenant:

Just yesterday saw the Oscar 2016 been released on abc in USA. Leonard had long speech on this movie..

This's director got award and also Leo got his first Oscar after a long time and had a long speech on this movie and role,....

Titanic and Inception guy got his first Oscar on this,.....

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

I have DVD bought of Martian, MI-5 rouge nation and Spectre and waiting to watch, which one, first - have not seen any of these, yet.
Nor have seen the The revenant.

IMO Mad Max fury road ( which I saw ) was just incredible hit and hoping it as number one,... though it also got few awards..

Last edited by Jagmohan; February 29th, 2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old February 29th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Banned

Jagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond reputeJagmohan has a reputation beyond repute

https://scontent.flis2-1.fna.fbcdn.n...3e&oe=57989B96

Old February 29th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Okay so a guy is out in the cold and some folks want to kill him. Is this a entertaining film? Sorry, these days, time is a luxury and wasting it on non-entertainers is just too much.

Sorry, I am all for the masala Hollywood fare like SPECTRE, Mission Impossible etc.

Once in a while I like some serious stuff from Hollywood.

On the other hand TV shows like The Blacklist, How To Get Away With Murder are far more entertaining and engrossing.
Old February 29th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Okay so a guy is out in the cold and some folks want to kill him. Is this a entertaining film? Sorry, these days, time is a luxury and wasting it on non-entertainers is just too much.

Sorry, I am all for the masala Hollywood fare like SPECTRE, Mission Impossible etc.

On the other hand TV shows like The Blacklist, How To Get Away With Murder are far more entertaining and engrossing.
I agree - masala movies is what I go to a theatre for.
Old February 29th, 2016, 01:07 PM
senior echarchan

ashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond reputeashdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

well , leonardo got an oscar for this one .

oscar films are not your cup of tea , but others are out there who appreciate them .
Old February 29th, 2016, 03:22 PM

sgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond reputesgars has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sorry, these days, time is a luxury and wasting it on non-entertainers is just too much..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolean View Post
I agree - masala movies is what I go to a theatre for.
I might have mentioned earlier, but when i was in Londonstan, i found it more worthwhile to spend 5 pounds on a shady bar for 5 Carlsberg Pints (special offer which stopped after the club found i was using it too much)

I would see football brawls and liberal PDA. So, get so see 'Action, Romance, Song and dance' for less than what i would spend on a movie.

Else nowadays youtube suffices for my kind of movies which are Crass comedies like 'Dulhe Raja' and 'Hadh kar di aapne' or Dharam Paaji movies like 'Kaatilon Ke Kaatil', 'Insaniyat Ke dushman' and so on.
Old March 1st, 2016, 09:21 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

I was rooting for Mad Max - Fury Road... oh well. But one thing is for sure... I am not watching 'The Revenant'. Why because I watched the last movie from this director... he is one of those 'fultu chewtiya banaya re' directors. When I watched that movie because it won an Oscar... I lost all faith in the Oscars. I was hoping they will redeem themselves and give it to Mad Max. But...

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old March 1st, 2016, 09:36 AM
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute

I have not seen Birdman so cant comment on that, but the Revenant is a good movie. Not your typical masala types, but still has enough gruesome scenes to keep you engaged. The one knock I have against it is that it is too long. They could have shortened it by 30 minutes at least.

Still a good movie. Worth a watch.

As for Mad Max -- I love the genre, so obviously I was rooting for it to get the Best Pic. Great movie from visual, sound and story aspect. Not much skill required in terms of acting for this movie.

Last edited by Zorro; March 1st, 2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old April 6th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Less View Post
I was rooting for Mad Max - Fury Road... oh well. But one thing is for sure... I am not watching 'The Revenant'. Why because I watched the last movie from this director... he is one of those 'fultu chewtiya banaya re' directors. When I watched that movie because it won an Oscar... I lost all faith in the Oscars. I was hoping they will redeem themselves and give it to Mad Max. But...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
I have not seen Birdman so cant comment on that, but the Revenant is a good movie. Not your typical masala types, but still has enough gruesome scenes to keep you engaged. The one knock I have against it is that it is too long. They could have shortened it by 30 minutes at least.

Still a good movie. Worth a watch.

As for Mad Max -- I love the genre, so obviously I was rooting for it to get the Best Pic. Great movie from visual, sound and story aspect. Not much skill required in terms of acting for this movie.
Well, looks like I went back on my own words. I did watch Revenant some weeks back... and it is a haunting movie that stays with you. I am surprised that the director can make such extremely different movies, one that makes a sucker out of you and another that sucks the breath out of you.

I will disagree with Zaroor pai that it is too long. The movie keeps good pace... and builds the characters nicely, one by one. Tom Hardy does an amazing job as the bad guy. And he is an amazing actor. Leanardo is very gritty and shows his determination for getting that oscar in this movie.

"Kisi ne sahi kaha zindagi kutti cheez hai. You live life without a care in the world not realizing that life is building a heavy load of trash that it dumps on you one fine day, breaking your back." - saneless
Old April 12th, 2017, 02:04 AM
Always on target

jeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond reputejeetiaf has a reputation beyond repute

Hugh Glass was real man, I got to know only after watching this movie

when he jumps with the horse down the hill, it becomes even more engrossing

jeetIAF
Old April 18th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Senior eCharchan

Aashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond reputeAashika has a reputation beyond repute

I am unsure if I will get to finish this one. I skipped the bear attacking part. The feels too dark.
After Game of Thrones, i thought I could take on anything. apparently not.
Old April 20th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashika View Post
I am unsure if I will get to finish this one. I skipped the bear attacking part. The feels too dark.
After Game of Thrones, i thought I could take on anything. apparently not.
This is a western movie... so watch it with that in mind. A slow moving, gritty movie.