eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > eCharcha Lounge > SoapBox

Notices

SoapBox Speak up, speak on, speak your heart out!

Old June 24th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Thread for weird news

Folks, so often we come across some really weird news. Some of you have posted Darwin awards for the most stupid people too.

Well lets post all the weird news we hear of here.. (better than the usual religion bashing that some of you so enjoy)..

My forst contribution -

A Dutch livestock-breeding-device manufacturer recently began selling a $27 vibrator that supposedly relaxes sows during artificial insemination to increase the chances of fertilization. Said the sales manager at the company Schippers Bladel BV, "Once the vibrator is inserted, the pig's ears will go up and she will stand ready to be serviced." The company also makes a remote-controlled plastic pig whose movements, mating sounds and scents supposedly encourage the sow to be serviced.

Source: Bloomberg News, 5-24-02
Old June 24th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
One more

Which I happened to also read in my local newspaper:

According to police in Woodinville, Wash., when Anita Durrett, 42, tried to speed away in her car with $266 worth of groceries shoplifted from an Albertson's store, an employee pursued her in his car, and when Durrett lost control and crashed at 90 mph, her 9-year-old daughter, riding in the front seat, was killed. Though Durrett has been convicted of vehicular manslaughter, she filed a wrongful-death lawsuit in May against Albertson's, claiming that they should not have chased her. [Seattle Times, 4-16-02]
Old June 24th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Vettaikaran

Parashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud of
Man knocked over but unhurt as stray bullet hits his jeans zip

A Brazilian says the zip on his jeans saved him when a stray bullet hit it.

The builder was at a street party in Sao Paulo when police and a kidnapping gang started firing at each other.

The man who hasn't been named says the force of the stray bullet knocked him to the floor.

He told the Agora SP newspaper: "Thank God it hit my zip and left me unhurt. I feel like I'm born again."

Police arrested the gang leader after he was shot in the back. Ten other people were hurt but there were no deaths.

Witness Maria do Socorro Nunes said of the gunfight: "People were screaming all over the place."
Once my processor is rented cycles in Korea, my RAM is in orbit, and my storage media is distributed in 10K chunks all over the former Soviet Union, and there is no noticable performance hit. Then I'll have enough bandwidth.

http://www.vinod.us

http://www.storagedimensions.us
Old June 24th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Senior eCharchan

Rana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant futureRana has a brilliant future
DOES THIS MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD ALL UNDER?

A prisoner sued 15 corrections officials claiming, among other things, that his state-issued underwear was too tight, a condition which went uncorrected for 15 days. (Dilliplane v. Vaugh)

Source: Pennsylvania Attorney General Mike Fisher's Top 10 Frivolous Inmate Lawsuits
Old June 24th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Vettaikaran

Parashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud ofParashuram has much to be proud of
'Urine man' sues police for £6m over 'unlawful arrest'

A South Carolina man who covers himself in urine whenever he's arrested is suing local authorities for the equivalent of £6m.

Dhurandhar Bhat from Yemassee claims he's been illegally imprisoned, defamed on police radio, emotionally distressed and assaulted by police.

He's suing his council, the mayor and police. He says he pours "stuff" on himself because the arrests are unlawful

The Carolina Morning News says he's been arrested around 20 times for trespassing.

The arrests have been made on property he claims he owns as a result of squatting on it for the past 10 years.

Yemassee police chief Sammy Rivers says he keeps buckets or bottles of waste around his property and dumps it on himself each time police try to arrest him.

"I can walk up to him right now and he'd run in the house and pour paint, urine and doo doo on him, whatever he can get his hands on," he said. "I try not to have no dealings with him."
Once my processor is rented cycles in Korea, my RAM is in orbit, and my storage media is distributed in 10K chunks all over the former Soviet Union, and there is no noticable performance hit. Then I'll have enough bandwidth.

Old June 24th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Vettaikaran

German women are hairy but the English aren't

German and Austrian women are the hairiest in Europe according to a new study.

It also found that British women are those most likely to shave.

Gillette looked into the habits of women in 13 European countries.

It found 75% of British women admitted to shaving their legs while only 33% of Germans said they regularly shaved.

Germany ranked equal last place alongside Austria - 67% of women in both countries said they did not remove their underarm hair.

Spanish and Italian women lie just behind the British with 70% regularly shaving.

Women in eastern European countries such as Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Hungary are more or less equally divided over shaving.

Old June 24th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Vettaikaran

Male goat give miracle milk

People in an Indian village say a 13-year-old male goat has started giving milk.

It lives at a temple and is producing half a litre every day.

Residents of Gopegram in West Bengal believe the 'miracle milk' can cure any disease.

The temple caretaker started milking it after noticing the animal was limping because its glands had swollen to the size of an udder.

Shanti Sutradhar said: "The goat's milk is sweet but the same cannot he said about his nature. He is hot tempered and terribly strong for his age. It takes four people to control him while milking."

The newspaper Jagriti reports the milk was tested at a dairy and found to contain up to 5% fat.

Dairy official Tarun Sikdar said: "This one is betters cow's milk which usually has up to four and half per cent fat."

Sushanto Ray, a local doctor, said: "Before jumping into conclusions that the animal is God's gift to humanity people should allow it to be subjected to scientific scrutiny.

"It is possible that the goat may be secreting milk because of some hormonal changes."

Story filed: 11:01 Saturday 22nd June 2002

Old June 24th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Junior eCharchan

Nondescript is on a distinguished road
Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.
Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.
The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.
A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.
There are more chickens than people in the world.
Two-thirds of the world's eggplant is grown in New Jersey.
The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched,"
On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.
All of the clocks in the movie "Pulp Fiction" are stuck on 4:20.
No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, or purple.
"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt."
All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.
Almonds are a member of the peach family.
Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.
Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.
There are only four words in the English language which end in "dous":tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
Los Angeles' full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora a Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula"
A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
In most advertisements, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.
Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life,"
A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours.
A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.
A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.
It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world.
In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
Mr. Rogers is an ordained minister.
The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.
"Stewardesses" is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.
It is impossible to lick your elbow.
A crocodile can't stick it's tongue out.
A shrimp's heart is in their head.
People say "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you sneeze, your heart stops for a mili-second.
In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand (or attempted to do so - apart from Bones ).
It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.
A pregnant goldfish is called a twit
Between 1937 and 1945 Heinz produced a version of Alphabetti Spaghetti especially for the German market that consisted solely of little pasta swastikas.
In average, a human being will have sex more than 3,000 times and spend two weeks kissing in their lifetime.
More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.
Rats and horses can't vomit.
The "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.
If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die. If you keep your eyes open by force, they can pop out.
Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants.
Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.
If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16, 1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?
In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.
The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.
Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.
A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.
23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people
sitting on them and photocopying their butts.
In the course of an average lifetime you will, while sleeping, eat 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders.
Most lipstick contains fish scales.
Cat's urine glows under a black-light.
Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.
The first television show to show a flushing toilet was Leave It to Beaver.
The McDonald's™ at Toronto's 'SkyDome' is the only McDonald's™ location that sells hot dogs.
A can of SPAM™ is opened every 4 seconds.
Plastic lawn flamingos are more numerous in the United States than real flamingos.
Whitby, Ontario has more donut stored per capita than any other place on earth.
Pinocchio was made of pine.
The largest recorded kidney stone weighed 1.36 kg.
Kidney stones range in color.
The hundred billionth Crayola crayon ever produced was Perriwinkle Blue.
An ostrich egg would take four hours to hard boil.
An iguana can stay under water for 28 minutes.
The longest recorded flight of a chicken is 13 seconds.
Chickens can't swallow while they are upside-down.
There are more chickens in the world than people.
The left leg of a chicken is more tender than the right one.
The U.S. Patent Office received over one hundred patent entries for 'Perpetual Motion Machines' each year.
The British Patent Office will not except patents for 'Perpetual Motion Machines'.
A novel with 50,000 words, non of which contained the letter 'E' was written by Ernest Wright.
Mark Twain's book 'Tom Sawyer' (1876) was the first novel to ever be written on a typewriter.
Isaac Asimovis is the only author to have a book in every major category of the Dewey-decimal system.
Cranberry Jell-O is the only kind that contains real fruit.
The Paramount™ logo contains 22 stars.
After the Mayflower was no longer needed, it was dismantled, and rebuilt as a barn.
The letters of the alphabet in order of frequency of use are: ETAISONHRDLUCMFWYPGVBKJQXZ
A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.
A quarter has 119 grooves around the edge.
You consume one tenth (.1) calories when you lick a stamp.
Laughter is a proven way to loose weight.
The pound sign ( # ) is called an anoctothorpe.
There was once a town named '6' in West Virginia.
A donkey will sink in quick sand, while a mule will not.
Every year more people are killed by donkeys, than in aircraft crashes.
Eating lots of carrots will turn the pigment in your skin orange. (Carotene is the same substance that makes leaves turn orange in the fall)
The earth weighs about 6,588,000,000,000,000,000 tons.
Every day the sun loses about 360 million tons.
The first word spoken on the moon was 'Okay'.
Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon with his left foot.
Popeye was five feet, six inches.
The average speed of Heinz™ ketchup leaving the bottle is 25 miles per year.
The most common name for a gold fish is 'Jaws'.
The most common (human) name in the world is, 'Mohammed'.
The longest name is the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) is Malhershalahashbaz.
The shortest verse in the bible is 'Jesus Wept'. (John 11:35)
The word 'and' appears 46,277 times in the bible.
There are 17 steps to the apartment of Sherlock Holmes.
In an average day, a four year old child will ask 437 questions.
The Eifel Tower has 2.5 million rivets.
The Eifel Tower has 1792 steps.
More people are alive today, than have ever died.
A typist fingers travel over twelve and a half miles in an average day.
2,500 left handers die each year using products designed for right handers.
Einstein didn't like to wear socks.
Einstein was a bad student, and dropped out of school.
Galileo's last name was Galilei, his first name was Galileo. (Earth revolved around the sun theory)
The Roman Catholic Church did not acknowledge that the earth revolves around the sun until the mid 1990's.
In Michelangelo's ceiling paining of the Sistine Chapel, Pope Julius II pressured him to finish the giant painting on time. For this, Michelangelo didn't like the Pope, and placed him, and others he didn't like, in hell when he painted the Judgment day scene.
In the Dark, Middle, and Medieval ages, the Pope was the true ruler of Europe, because disobedient kings were threatened with eternal damnation.
The average life span of an umbrella is under two years.
One googol written out is: 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0 00,000,000,000.
Elvis Presley was named a 'Special Federal Narcotics Agent' by Richard Nixon.
The electric shaver was patented on the 6th of November, 1928.
The telephone's U.S. patent number is 174 465
The first Life Savers™ was peppermint flavored.
Life Savers™ candy was produced by a chocolate maker, to make up for the low chocolate sales in the summer.
The shell makes up 12% of an egg's total mass.
The Statue of Liberty's crown has seven points.
The doorbell was invented in 1831
The world's most common non-contagious disease is tooth-decay
The monkey wrench was invented by Charles Moncke.
Until the mid 1800's, only the Dutch were allowed to trade with Japan.
The British launched a war with Japan, because Japan would not let the British import the addictive drug opium. (Japan suffered a great defeat at sea)
A quasicrystal is the only crystal to not have a repeating structure
A quasicrystal is the only crystal with 5-fold symmetry
A fire in Australia has been burning for more than 2,000 years.
A baby born in Florida was named; Truewilllaughinglifebuckyboomermanifestdestiny. If you don't want to figure that out, it's these words combined; True will laughing life bucky boomer manifestdestiny. (manifestdestiny: n. a belief in the 1800's that the United States' destiny is to span from the Atlantic ocean, to the Pacific ocean.)
The only words in the English language to contain two "U's" back to back are: vacuum, residuum, and continuum.
The shortest sentence in the English language is, 'I am'.
The only word in the English language to contain three back to back double letter combinations is; Bookkeeper.
The shortest word in the English language to contain the letters A,B,C,D,E, and F is: 'Feedback'
The first non-human to win an Oscar was Mickey Mouse.
An Oscar weighs seven pounds.
India has 50 million monkeys.
If you sleep in a cold room, you are more likely to have a bad dream.
Pigs can run a mile in 7 ½ minutes.
The mother of Mike Nesmith, a member of the rock group 'The Monkeys' invented liquid paper.
The parking meter was invented in 1935 by C.C. Magee.
After eating too much food, you hearing becomes less sharp.
The oldest vegetable is the pea.
Pi has been calculated to over 2,260,321,363 digits.
The billionth digit of Pi is '9'
IBM™ made a computer in 1961 which calculated Pi to 100,265 digits.
IBM™ started out as a typewriter manufacturer.
Boeing, (if you fly on a plane, chances are Boeing made it) became a furniture manufacturing company for a short period.
Jack is the most common name in a fairy tale.
The mongoose was not allowed to enter the U.S. unless it was dead in 1902.
More fatal car accidents occur on Saturday, than any other day in the week.
The giraffe has the highest blood pressure of any animal.
4,000 people are injured by tea pots every year.
The first zoo in America was built in Philadelphia.
In 1939, goldfish swallowing was started at Harvard.
Dry fish food make goldfish constipated.
Little more than half of the people living in the U.S. would rather fold, than wad their toilet paper.
Toilet paper was invented in 1857.
A bowling pin must tilt 7.5 degrees to fall over.
The life span of a taste bud is 10 days.
A stretched out slinky is 87 feet long.
Tucson, Arizona and Fresno, California are the only city in the world to have more than one Costco™
The word abracadabra comes from a Hebrew phrase, "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit". Aba (the father), Ben (the son) and Acadsch (the holy spirit). (I know it doesn't make much sense, a Christian phrase said in Hebrew, but that's how it happened.)
The first working television was made out of cardboard, scrap wood, needles, string, and misc. other materials.
The Andromeda Galaxy is the most distant object that can be seen without a telescope.
Sound travels faster in warm water than in cold water.
A furbelow is a frilly decoration or trim on a woman's dress, like the lacy edge of a petticoat, or a pleated border.
The first battery was made in Africa, sometime before the birth of Christ. It generated more volts of electricity than a size 'D' battery
The short phrases of organ music played at a baseball game is called a tucket.
Tuckets were originally a trumpet fanfare, used to anounce royalty. (So people would have time to compose themselves)
Edgar Allen Poe's first detective story was, "The Murders in the Rue Morgue,"
The start of the American Revolution, the incident in Waco Texas, and the Oklahoma City bombing all happened on the same day of the year; April 19th.
Thaddeus Sobieski Constantine Lowe was appointed chief of the Balloon Corps for the Union troops. (american civil war)
Mantis shrimp can't be kept in ordinary aquariums, because they easily break the glass with their powerful claws.
Dungarees is another word for Denim
The British brought denim from India. It was first used for sails, and tents.
The first railroad bridge over the Mississippi River ran between Rock Island, Illinois and Davenport, Iowa.
Abraham Lincoln was a lawyer, and a professional wrestler, among countless other professions.
Raw rubber is yellow, and elastic.
Rubber is made of the sap of various plants.
If a word has two consecutive vowels, and both are pronounced, a diaeresis [dy-AIR-ih-sis] is used. Diaeresis are two dots over a vowel. Example: ä or ö. For instance; the word noel. Noel is actualy spelled Noël. This is used in English, though it is not commonly written.
Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan died before his fleet reached it's home port. So Magellan himself never curcumnavigated the globe!
The "Spirit of St. Louis" cost $10,580.
In 1938 jazz vocalist Ella Fitzgerald recorded one of her biggest hits, "A-Tisket, A-Tasket,"
The core of the sun is made of plasma, and is 15 million degrees C.
Yuri Gagarin was the first man in space.
A volleyball is about the size of an eye from a giant squid.
Sesquipedalian is a word used to describe long words.
John Gorrie invented mechanical refrigeration. His machine was initially designed for treating yellow fever.
Beethoven's 9th Symphony was his interpretation of Schiller's Ode to Joy.
On the average there are 61,000 people airborne over the United States on any given hour.
Eleanor Roosevelt was the only first lady to carry a loaded revolver.
Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair. Copper is a brown-red color, correct? This is scientific evidence to back up blonde jokes!
The 'Lake of the Woods' located on the Canadian-US border has more islands than any other lake in the world, with an estimated 14,000 islands. The lake also has 65,000 miles of shore line.
Collagen accounts for about 30% of all the protein in the human body.
Even numbered pages are usually on the left side of a book.
A Canadian Football field has 110 yards inbetween goal lines.
An other name for a magician is a 'prestidigitator'.
Canada has won the most Olympic Gold medals in hockey.
The Statue of Liberty was originaly located in Paris.
The sport of caber-tossing originated in Scotland.
Mr. Spock's blood is green.
The BMW™ logo was designed to resemble propellor, because BMW™ began as an airplane engine manufactuer.
Most people hear better with thier right ear.
Norway, and Sweden share a 1,030-mile border.
Rome is also known as The Eternal City.
The Graham cracker was first used to combat alcoholism.
Orville Wright was the pilot of the first fatal plane crash.
The standard horse shoe contains eight nail holes.
A lacrosse ball is made of India rubber.
In 1927, Babe Ruth earned $70,000.
The German republic that preceded Hitler's regime was named, The Weimar Republic.
George Washington was the only president never to live in the District of Columbia.
Burt Reynolds was the largest male box-office attraction of the 1980's.
A prune is a dried plumb.
The brain becomes inflamed with the condition encephalitis.
Robin Hood lived in Sherwood Forest.
Denver was chosen to host the 1976 Winter Olympics, but later refused.
In chess, the white king starts on a black square.
Jonny Weissmuller has played the role of Tarzan in more films than any other actor.
Gerald Ford was the first US President to appear on the TV show, Meet the Press
In the beginning of his career, Sherlock Holmes used Cocaine.
Solomon Grundy died on a saturday.
Another name for the card game "Solitaire" is "Patience".
Saturday was named for the planet saturn.
The Star-Spangled Banner was writen by Francis Scott Key.
The abbreviation a.m. stands for "ante meridiem".
The abbreviation p.m. stands for "post meridiem".
The best beaches for surfing face west.
Wheat is the worlds most grown, and the world's most eaten food
Gibraltar is the only place in Europe were you can find wild monkeys.
The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.
The scientific name for your foot falling asleep is taresthesia.
Macbeth is the shortest, and bloodiest of Shakespeare's plays.
The Watergate break-in was discovered my watchman Frank Wills.
Edward Teller is the father of the H-bomb.
The National Geographic Society is the world's largest non-profit scientific organization.
The first American dictionary was writen by Noah Webster.
King Harold was the last of the Anglo-Saxon kings.
Two cups of butter is equal to one pound.
An elephant raises it's trunk when it senses danger.
Sports Illustrated's™ first female sportsman of the year was Billie Jean King.
On dice, double sixes are known as "Boxcars".
Winston Churchill was the first person to be named an, Honorary U.S. Citizen.
Winston Churchill and Franklin Roosevelt were once seventh cousins.
The original copies of "Gone with the Wind" were three pounds, and contained 1,037 pages.
The only organization to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize durring WWI was the Red Cross.
Every year, the moon moves 1/2 an inch further from the earth.
The 1939 World's Fair was held in New York City.
Saffron is the most expensive spice.
The distination in the movie, "2001: A Space Odyssey" was one of Jupiter's moons.
South Koria's President's residense is known as "The Blue House."
In 1977, George Willig was fined $1.10 for climbing the World Trade Center building.
The Texas Grill in Phoenix Arizona has served 410,942 chicken fried stakes as of 7-29-99.
Only 6% of animal testing is for medical purposes.
The word "coriaceous" describes something with a tough, leathery texture.
More than 20,000 words in the English language come from French.
The Incas of Peru were the first people to use the process of freeze-drying their food.
France is the world's third greatest military power. (Behind the US, and Russia respectively)
The oldest piece of papyrus ever found dates back to 3800 BC
Tsunami wave may reach the speed of 500 mph (805 km/h).
In 1907, King Gustav V became ruler of Sweden.
Of the Hawaiian Islands, the island of Hawaii is the only one with active volcanoes
Many English words beginning in sch- originate from Yiddish. Ex: schmooze, or schmuck.
The father of Charlie Schuyler is Aaron Burr.
Dum Dum Airport is located in Calcutta
In 50 million years, it is likely that Mars will have a ring around it.
Robin Hood lived in Sherwood Forest
The brassiere was invented by a man named Otto Titzling.
The Pedro Miguel Lock is located in the Panama Canal.
Harry Truman was the first president to pardon a Turkey before Thanksgiving.
Grover Cleveland was the only president to be elected to office two non-consecutive times.
The first annual "BattleBots" was a competition pitting robots against each other in a death match. (Weapons such as tazzers, or explosives were not allowed, however, one robot was equipped with a chainsaw!)
A deltiologist is someone who collects postcards.
The Empire State Building contains 10 million bricks.
The 1973 Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to Le Duc Tho, and Henry Kissinger.
The following facts added 10 March, 2000
The Kansas, and Colorado State Boards of Education both mandate that children should not be taught, or lead to believe in the theory of evolution, Newton's theory of gravity, or the theory that germs cause disease.
Potato Chips are the most popular snack foods in North America
The 1900 Olympic games were held in Paris
If Israel had not been banned from the 1948 Summer Olympics, the Arabs would have boycotted it.
Nervous people like crunchy food
The thyroid gland is in the neck
Shells were once used as currency in Africa
One million $1 bills weighs 1 ton
Contrary to popular belief that Ethiopia is the worlds poorest country, it is actually Sudan. (Measured in GNP)
In a matter of seconds Zerah Colburn once correctly calculated the amound of seconds which had gone by since the birth of Christ.
People descended from the Scottish clan of Kerr are more likely to be left handed than any other ancestrial group.
Bill Clinton, Fidel Castro, Jimi Hendrix and Albert Einstein are/were all left handed.
A Formula One racecar driver is more likely to be injured on the job than someone of any other profession.
The sortest war ever recorded lasted only 38 minutes. (Britain vs. Zanzibar in 1896)
William Shakespeare worked as an actor as well as a playwright.
Shakespeare's longest play was Hamlet, followed by Richard III with only 15 fewer lines.
Wolfgang Mozart began writing music at the age of four.
The word "soloist" was not used untill 1864
In a choir, the Alto part is sung by young boys
The opera, The Sands of Time, lasted only four minutes.
Early nuclear bombs were measured in kilotons. A one kTon blast is equal to the blast of 1,000 pounds of TNT.
Modern Hydrogen Bombs are measured in megatons, 1 megaton=1,000 kilotons.
The six most deadly battles all occured between October 1914, and March 1918.
The British royal family uses rose petals as confetti.
Steve Martin wrote a book called Cruel Shoes.
Unsafe at Any Speen was writen my Ralph Nader.
Pacific islanders believed that the world was a large coconut.
Old September 17th, 2005, 09:49 AM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Thread for weird news

This one's indeed weird:

Quote:

SYDNEY (Reuters) - An Australian man built up a 40,000-volt charge of static electricity in his clothes as he walked, leaving a trail of scorched carpet and molten plastic and forcing firefighters to evacuate a building.

Frank Clewer, who was wearing a woolen shirt and a synthetic nylon jacket, was oblivious to the growing electrical current that was building up as his clothes rubbed together.

When he walked into a building in the country town of Warrnambool in the southern state of Victoria Thursday, the electrical charge ignited the carpet.

"It sounded almost like a firecracker," Clewer told Australian radio Friday.

"Within about five minutes, the carpet started to erupt."

Employees, unsure of the cause of the mysterious burning smell, telephoned firefighters who evacuated the building.

"There were several scorch marks in the carpet, and we could hear a cracking noise -- a bit like a whip -- both inside and outside the building," said fire official Henry Barton.

Firefighters cut electricity to the building thinking the burns might have been caused by a power surge.

Clewer, who after leaving the building discovered he had scorched a piece of plastic on the floor of his car, returned to seek help from the firefighters.

"We tested his clothes with a static electricity field meter and measured a current of 40,000 volts, which is one step shy of spontaneous combustion, where his clothes would have self-ignited," Barton said.

"I've been firefighting for over 35 years and I've never come across anything like this," he said.

Firefighters took possession of Clewer's jacket and stored it in the courtyard of the fire station, where it continued to give off a strong electrical current.

David Gosden, a senior lecturer in electrical engineering at Sydney University, told Reuters that for a static electricity charge to ignite a carpet, conditions had to be perfect.

"Static electricity is a similar mechanism to lightning, where you have clouds rubbing together and then a spark generated by very dry air above them," said Gosden.

Another Link

Last edited by Cooldude; September 17th, 2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old September 17th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Senior eCharchan

Napolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond reputeNapolean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread for weird news

40,000 volts!!!OMG....
someone shld tell Indian Govt...Electricity problem solved..
Old September 17th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Axecuse Me?

dawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud ofdawizard has much to be proud of
Re: One more

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
Which I happened to also read in my local newspaper:

According to police in Woodinville, Wash., when Anita Durrett, 42, tried to speed away in her car with $266 worth of groceries shoplifted from an Albertson's store, an employee pursued her in his car, and when Durrett lost control and crashed at 90 mph, her 9-year-old daughter, riding in the front seat, was killed. Though Durrett has been convicted of vehicular manslaughter, she filed a wrongful-death lawsuit in May against Albertson's, claiming that they should not have chased her. [Seattle Times, 4-16-02]
chai pai more than weird this is quite sad............weird shud be unusual, like gali ka kutta bhaagta bhaagta heart attack se maara gaya....i often hear of poor ppl trying to steal and ending up ruining things :-|
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Thread for weird news

Minorities becoming closer to the majority

(CNN) -- More than 30 percent of the increase in the U.S. population last year was Hispanics born as American citizens, according to the Census Bureau, just one indicator that the influence of traditional minorities will continue to grow.

Bureau statistics released Tuesday show the U.S. population grew by 2.8 million between July 1, 2004, and July 1, 2005 Hispanics accounted for 1.3 million of that increase, with 800,000 attributable to natural causes -- births minus deaths -- rather than immigration.

Coupled with the high birth rate for Hispanics -- the Population Resource Center cites statistics showing the average Hispanic woman will have three children in her lifetime; it's 1.8 for non-Hispanic whites -- the number means Hispanics will make up an increasing share of the citizenry.

"It mutes the illegal versus legal debate," said Linda Jacobson, director of domestic programs for the Population Reference Bureau in Washington. "We need to be more focused on how we meet the needs of children in immigrant families who are citizens."fling them across the border

Census statistics also show:

45 percent of children under age 5 are from a racial or ethnic minority.

About a third of Hispanics were younger than 18, compared with a fourth of the population in general.

The median age for Hispanics -- the point at which half are older and half are younger -- was 27.2 years in 2005. It was 30.0 years for blacks and 40.3 years for white non-Hispanics.

Because there is only one death for every 8.2 Hispanic births in the U.S., according to Census estimates, the U.S.-born Hispanic population can only be expected to grow.

With growth will come increased economic clout.

"Already Hispanics are an economic force, and because they are growing in number that won't change," said Jacobson, who added that corporate America is taking notice.

Libbey Paul, a senior vice president of marketing for ACNielson, the marketing information company, told The Associated Press that supermarkets are looking to stock more of what large, young families need, items like toothpaste, and food companies are producing more products that cater to Hispanic tastes.

"They've become more politically and socially visible," she told AP. "It's never been this vocal."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/10/hispanics/index.html
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Banned

TerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud ofTerminatorJR has much to be proud of
Post Re: Thread for weird news

Lorena Bobbitt II?

RIYADH: Surgeons have reattached the penis of a Saudi man who paid the price for trying to have sex with his Filipina maid and she attacked him with a knife, a hospital source said on Monday.

Earlier this month newspapers reported that the maid removed her employer's manhood when he tried to molest her in the middle of the night as his wife was sleeping. The maid is now in police custody.

Source.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread for weird news

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiBaba
Minorities becoming closer to the majority

(CNN) -- More than 30 percent of the increase in the U.S. population last year was Hispanics born as American citizens, according to the Census Bureau, just one indicator that the influence of traditional minorities will continue to grow.

Bureau statistics released Tuesday show the U.S. population grew by 2.8 million between July 1, 2004, and July 1, 2005 Hispanics accounted for 1.3 million of that increase, with 800,000 attributable to natural causes -- births minus deaths -- rather than immigration.

Coupled with the high birth rate for Hispanics -- the Population Resource Center cites statistics showing the average Hispanic woman will have three children in her lifetime; it's 1.8 for non-Hispanic whites -- the number means Hispanics will make up an increasing share of the citizenry.

"It mutes the illegal versus legal debate," said Linda Jacobson, director of domestic programs for the Population Reference Bureau in Washington. "We need to be more focused on how we meet the needs of children in immigrant families who are citizens."fling them across the border

Census statistics also show:

45 percent of children under age 5 are from a racial or ethnic minority.

About a third of Hispanics were younger than 18, compared with a fourth of the population in general.

The median age for Hispanics -- the point at which half are older and half are younger -- was 27.2 years in 2005. It was 30.0 years for blacks and 40.3 years for white non-Hispanics.

Because there is only one death for every 8.2 Hispanic births in the U.S., according to Census estimates, the U.S.-born Hispanic population can only be expected to grow.

With growth will come increased economic clout.

"Already Hispanics are an economic force, and because they are growing in number that won't change," said Jacobson, who added that corporate America is taking notice.

Libbey Paul, a senior vice president of marketing for ACNielson, the marketing information company, told The Associated Press that supermarkets are looking to stock more of what large, young families need, items like toothpaste, and food companies are producing more products that cater to Hispanic tastes.

"They've become more politically and socially visible," she told AP. "It's never been this vocal."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/10/hispanics/index.html

Herndon, VA has taken a correct step in that the voters in the city tossed out the idea of immigration hiring center

Thursday, May 04, 2006
Did immigration rallies spur backlash?
For Phil Jones of Herndon, Virginia, the backlash against illegal immigration began last year when he took his teenage daughter to a convenience store near his home.

He says his car was mobbed by illegal immigrants looking for work as day laborers. He says they completely surrounded him and tried to climb into his car, and that when he indicated he was not hiring, they made obscene gestures at his daughter.

So when Jones heard that his town council in Herndon was going to establish a permanent hiring center for immigrants, including illegal immigrants, he began organizing opposition. And it worked.

On Tuesday, just one day after nationwide rallies against stricter immigration laws, Herndon voters tossed out the officials who supported the hiring center.

Across the nation, grassroots groups favoring stronger immigration controls and enforcement say they are benefiting from a backlash against illegal immigration after the pro-immigrant rallies earlier this week.

They say e-mails, phone calls, and even donations are on the rise, as legal American residents react to the demands that illegal immigrants be given amnesty and allowed to become citizens.

Since Jones began his campaign for tougher immigration policies, he says, his home has been egged and a pro-immigrant Web site posted his picture online, calling him a racist.

But Jones is not giving up the fight. He is convinced the immigrant rallies this week made many more Americans aware of what he sees as growing militancy among people who don't even have a right to be here.

He thinks the backlash has just begun. What do you think?
Posted By Tom Foreman, CNN Correspondent: 5:12 PM

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/ande...oper.360/blog/
Old May 14th, 2006, 12:58 PM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Thread for weird news

Great Miracle

(05-11) 14:33 PDT San Bernardino, Calif. (AP) --

Authorities said a woman who claimed she was a paraplegic and repeatedly filed claims and lawsuits for noncompliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act was a con artist without any physical limitations.

After her arrest this month by Las Vegas police, Laura Lee Medley, 35, leaped from her wheelchair and ran for freedom, officials said.

Complaining earlier that she was having medical problems, police took the woman to a Las Vegas hospital for treatment, said David Wert, spokesman for San Bernardino County.

"That's where the great miracle occurred," he said. Medley "made a break for it," leading police on a brief foot pursuit before she was captured, Wert said.

Medley's claims against public entities — including San Bernardino County, South Pasadena and Long Beach — claimed a bus dropped her off near what she called a non-ADA compliant roadway or curb, causing her wheelchair to topple. She claimed three broken arms in eight weeks — two lefts and a right.

South Pasadena settled Medley's claim for $6,700 on Oct. 18, 2005.

Her questionable claims led to last week's arrest in Las Vegas.

Medley was charged with filing false documents, attempted grand theft and two counts of insurance fraud. She is in a Las Vegas jail awaiting extradition to San Bernardino.

Medley's alleged deception was discovered by San Bernardino County officials after she filed a complaint saying she fell and broke her left arm on Oct. 17, 2005.

County lawyer Mike Sachs said Medley called him in December to complain about treatment she was receiving from county employees. Medley claimed she was an ADA compliance expert and she threatened to organize a protest march, Sachs said.

"She was a very pushy lady, and anytime she wasn't happy with a response she was getting from someone at the county, she would try to go to the next highest person," Sachs said.

On Feb. 4, she filed a claim for $9,072 in medical expenses and lost wages. Medley then produced hospital medical records, documents that repeatedly misspelled Bernardino as Bernadino.

The hospital confirmed the documents were bogus.

Sachs said they learned Medley filed a nearly identical wheelchair-toppling claim seeking $5,200 from Long Beach. The claim was denied because the sidewalk was wheelchair accessible, Long Beach Deputy City Attorney Belinda Mayes said.

Medley then filed a federal lawsuit April 4 against Long Beach. That U.S. District Court suit is still pending and Mayes declined comment.

___

Information from: Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

Link