eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Entertainment > Films

Notices

Films Your pet peeves and raves about new releases

Old November 14th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Time to change the overseas business model of Hindi films?

I admit it that I am a fan of Bollywood movies. I love watching all films. I avoid very few films, but every weekend I am at the local video rental store to rent the DVD of the latest release.

One thing I have noticed is that in USA, most of the grocery stores have a DVD rental section and then there are just DVD rental stores which also sell Hindi film music.

The DVDs you get at majority of these locations are pirated camera prints or very good prints made by some overseas piracy rings. In some cases the pirated copies come in original looking covers.

If you want to get the original DVD then you have to wait quite a bit. However, there are many fans like me who want their weekly dose of new releases and so we get whatever the store is renting out.

Many stores in the Bay Area even sell copies of these DVDs for 2 to 3 dollars.
And people buy them despite the film running in local desi cinema halls.

Hindi film industry cannot control piracy or maybe they can. But in the meanwhile cant they not change their business model? Instead of letting pirates and rental stores rip them off, the film producers can release original copies of their DVD for 3 dollars or some such low price within two or three days of the film release overseas. I have observed that despite a film's availabilty on DVD within a day of release, there is a large audience which still goes to the cinema halls. So there is no loss as such to the film producer.

If they can rake in the moolah by releasing low cost DVDs (just like T Series used to sell casssettes for a very low price) soon after the movie release. Because right now, the pirates make the money. I am sure that I will rather buy a DVD for 3 dollars instead of renting a pirated copy for 2 dollars.
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Senior eCharchan

kkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond reputekkkk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Time to change the overseas business model of Hindi films?

The piracy racquet is too bad and too deep - even the 'authentic' DVDs are pirated ones many a times. There have always been calls for DVDs/VCDs/ACDs to be made cheaper specifically given that the technology is cheaper too. The producers have been too greedy though and this call has been rejected all the times. Even with such a lot of piracy, the money flows in for producers. Perhaps they earn the same amount of money that they would if they reduced the cost too and therefore are not keen.
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

Once again I am thinking of the film industry and its distribution model.

I agree that piracy is rampant, but just imagine if piracy continues then will we get to see movies?

The way you get all latest Bollywood releases within 24 hours on the net, its quite worrisome in a way. George Lucas had said a couple of years ago that he would not make any more big budget films but straight to DVD or for the internet movies because piracy eats into the profits of movies. In many cases a movie becomes very popular but the studio does not make any money owing to piracy.

Just today we discussed Delhi 6 and now its available online. Whatever the movie, however the movie, if piracy continues then movie makers wont have incentive to make movies. Earlier you had to have membership to some torrents sites and download movies and rip/unrip whatnot and then watch the movie. Today its posted for online viewing!

I strongly feel that a better solution would be to have a iTunes kind of deal where a new movie becomes available for download in great quality within 2 days or 3 days of the release for a low fee. This way the producers can make money and audience can get good print quality movies at a reasonable rate.
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Senior eCharchan

Randheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond repute

You are right Charcha Pai. The way Producers adapted with TV and VCR which was a medium same way they have to adapt with Internet.

If you remember in 1980's TV and VCR were the biggest threat to Film industry and now these mediums make the maximum money
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
Once again I am thinking of the film industry and its distribution model.

I agree that piracy is rampant, but just imagine if piracy continues then will we get to see movies?

The way you get all latest Bollywood releases within 24 hours on the net, its quite worrisome in a way. George Lucas had said a couple of years ago that he would not make any more big budget films but straight to DVD or for the internet movies because piracy eats into the profits of movies. In many cases a movie becomes very popular but the studio does not make any money owing to piracy.

Just today we discussed Delhi 6 and now its available online. Whatever the movie, however the movie, if piracy continues then movie makers wont have incentive to make movies. Earlier you had to have membership to some torrents sites and download movies and rip/unrip whatnot and then watch the movie. Today its posted for online viewing!

I strongly feel that a better solution would be to have a iTunes kind of deal where a new movie becomes available for download in great quality within 2 days or 3 days of the release for a low fee. This way the producers can make money and audience can get good print quality movies at a reasonable rate.
Do you even have a clue who is running all this piracy bullshit?
Their own. Yes you know who I mean?
Just like their stage shows. Just like theatrical releases overseas.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:54 AM
Senior eCharchan

desichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant future

Sunit what you are describing is what people call the holy grail in movie business once the bandwidth becomes bit better ( like fibre optic last mile)

Then if u wish to go to cinema u go...if u wish to watch at home..[ay $3..and watch home...

But I think it is just matter of time..

Netflix is trying but not able to get new movies...movie houses are run by Americans..Wait till they get some desi CEO who can help them win

Quote:
I admit it that I am a fan of Bollywood movies. I love watching all films. I avoid very few films, but every weekend I am at the local video rental store to rent the DVD of the latest release.

One thing I have noticed is that in USA, most of the grocery stores have a DVD rental section and then there are just DVD rental stores which also sell Hindi film music.

The DVDs you get at majority of these locations are pirated camera prints or very good prints made by some overseas piracy rings. In some cases the pirated copies come in original looking covers.

If you want to get the original DVD then you have to wait quite a bit. However, there are many fans like me who want their weekly dose of new releases and so we get whatever the store is renting out.

Many stores in the Bay Area even sell copies of these DVDs for 2 to 3 dollars.
And people buy them despite the film running in local desi cinema halls.

Hindi film industry cannot control piracy or maybe they can. But in the meanwhile cant they not change their business model? Instead of letting pirates and rental stores rip them off, the film producers can release original copies of their DVD for 3 dollars or some such low price within two or three days of the film release overseas. I have observed that despite a film's availabilty on DVD within a day of release, there is a large audience which still goes to the cinema halls. So there is no loss as such to the film producer.

If they can rake in the moolah by releasing low cost DVDs (just like T Series used to sell casssettes for a very low price) soon after the movie release. Because right now, the pirates make the money. I am sure that I will rather buy a DVD for 3 dollars instead of renting a pirated copy for 2 dollars.

Checkout where I and Randheer and few others blog - http://www.4octave.com
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmthaLal View Post
Do you even have a clue who is running all this piracy bullshit?
Their own. Yes you know who I mean?
Just like their stage shows. Just like theatrical releases overseas.
But why would the 'organisers' of overseas tours, etc. kill their own profits by piracy?
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by desichacha View Post
Sunit what you are describing is what people call the holy grail in movie business once the bandwidth becomes bit better ( like fibre optic last mile)

Then if u wish to go to cinema u go...if u wish to watch at home..[ay $3..and watch home...

But I think it is just matter of time..

Netflix is trying but not able to get new movies...movie houses are run by Americans..Wait till they get some desi CEO who can help them win
Many movies are a big screen treat and I do go to the cinema hall. But to be honest, the cost of a movie at the cinema hall is quite a bit. 10 dollars for the ticket. If you go out, typically on a weekend, then add cost of dinner. Then add cost of a coke at the cinema hall. I am not into popcorn.

On average its 40 dollars for a dinner and a movie.

Compare that to a good home theater system with surround sound, etc. Plus you have the comfort of lazing on your sofa. YOu can pause the movie at will to take bathroom breaks You can also decide to complete the movie the next day.

I find it more comfortable to be at home and watch. I dont want to rip off the producers and watch it free, but they have to make the movie easily available at home and at a reasonable price. I am willing to pay 3 to 4 dollars for a pay-per-view kind of setup and 7 to 8 dollars if they let me keep the movie for as long as I want. I see advantages of paid content like excellent print quality, good sound.

I tried out bigflix.com but those morons use Windows Media Player 11 with some DRM plugins. I have had many technical problems with this setup because sometimes Media Player will complain that I dont have the necessary license and what not. Also the stupid site insists on showing some commercials despite the fact that I have paid for the movie! I absoltutely resent it when they show commercials for paid content!
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
Chaiman Of the Board.

AmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond reputeAmthaLal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But why would the 'organisers' of overseas tours, etc. kill their own profits by piracy?
Well.....I was talking about bootlegged dvd/cd/vcd etcc.

You are right about the "on-line" .

May be "some" "organisers" are not getting their cut since they are now "certified enemy", and media watch, they are taking revenge.

PS: These are same ppl running hawala, phone card etc.. business.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:07 PM
Senior eCharchan

desichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant futuredesichacha has a brilliant future

I agree around Ad and stuff ...as well as keeping it permanently..

We need tobreak monopoly of iTunes as these freaks at Apple will always keep cost high..

Check out www.boxee.com...that is way to future..hopefully we can plug in desi content in sometime..or this is entrepreneurial opportunity for us..

Checkout where I and Randheer and few others blog - http://www.4octave.com
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the business of Bollywood is based on piracy. The stories are stolen from foreign or other language Indian films. The music is stolen from around the world. Even costumes, dialogues, make up .. everything is pirated without giving credit to the original.

SOoooooooo ... what goes around, comes around. Chor ke ghar chori!!
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfinger View Post
Most of the business of Bollywood is based on piracy. The stories are stolen from foreign or other language Indian films. The music is stolen from around the world. Even costumes, dialogues, make up .. everything is pirated without giving credit to the original.

ekdum barobar bolela hai
rep kiyela hai
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Senior eCharchan

Randheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond reputeRandheer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You are still living in pre 1991 economic reforms era where before going to USA people use to think and cribb about everything in india.

Yes people in India use foreign inspirations sometime because they produce too much volume and creativity chokes after a extent.Annu Malik
the biggest copycat has given some quite originals also.

Last edited by Randheer; February 24th, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Senior eCharchan

smellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond reputesmellyfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randheer View Post
You are still living in pre 1991 economic reforms era where before going to USA people use to think and cribb about everything in india.

Yes people in India use foreign inspirations sometime because they produce too much volume and creativity chokes after a extent.Annu Malik
the biggest copycat has given some quite originals also.
And you are being retarded. Yes there are original movies and songs. Just as there are people who buy original DVD's and go to movie halls to see movies. Yes there are copied movies and songs just as people buy pirated movies. What goes around comes around. The point is that these guys cannot, with a straight face, complain about piracy when its something that they do as well.

As for your justification for piracy .. waah waah. The volume is too much, so lets steal ideas from someone else. Why didnt I think of that?
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Senior eCharchan

Quote:
As for your justification for piracy .. waah waah. The volume is too much, so lets steal ideas from someone else. Why didnt I think of that?
As an Engineer you should never be ashamed of Copying,that is first thing to be learnt. When did "Anu Malik" claimed that he is "taansen"