eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old July 7th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Junior eCharchan

createfuture is on a distinguished road
US IT vs culture vs Indian IT work culture

-what is the difference in culture?
-Can one go back to work in Indian IT after working in US for >3 years
-How are Indian bosses vs Western bosses (majority i.e.)
-Has anyone tried to go back to work in India (Bangalore, Pune etc). If yes, what are your experiences?
-What about the option of joining an Indian IT company (e.g. Infosys) and coming to work in US for 6-8 months, then going back to India for 6 months - thus enjoying best of both worlds.
-Finally, any word of advice for anyone contemplating to go back to work in India IT?
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US IT vs culture vs Indian IT work culture

Good question .

-what is the difference in culture?

Never worked for Indian Company
-Can one go back to work in Indian IT after working in US for >3 years

Dont Know
-How are Indian bosses vs Western bosses (majority i.e.)

Most western Bosses let you work independatly . They will trust you and your judgement and opinion.
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old July 9th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Junior eCharchan

any other comments? anyone worked in inda in indian company and then in US? What differences do you find? what about co-workers? Bosses? Competition? Back-biting? Is it less in an american company in america than in a desi company in india?

I have never worked in a desi company in india and hence would appreciate comments from someone who has worked both in india and aborad - to describe the differences. Also, given a choice, where would they prefer working?
Old July 9th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Junior eCharchan

also this question assumes significance in the wake of india growth story and many comtemplating to return to work in india. also, many desis working in US secretly think or harbor the thought of returning to india and settle down sometime in the future. So this question is important for them too.

Noone who worked in both india and US?
Old July 9th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute

I would not work for a 'service' company which exclusively does 'we will write your code and also maintain legacy code' type of company.
Old July 9th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: US IT vs culture vs Indian IT work culture

Ask Terminator for some help with digging up an old thread where a guy who has worked in US and has returned to India writes about his experiences of working back home. I think the title is "... Interesting .. look at ..." or something.

One more thing I have found with desi managers is this.

Say you are working on a system which has, say, 3 layers - the backend, the middle layer and the front end UI.

Now you might be working on the front end and the middle layer.

The desi manager is bound to 'tell' you that - "Oh you know.. you should also know the backend and work on some backend module in the next version. I want you to have a through and through knowledge and experience of the system".

Now these cocksucker desi managers just like to throw around some mangement terms they read up while peeking in a management book at Kinkos while waiting for their zerox copies to be done. These mofos will try to tell you to do 'extra' without defining what extra means and how it translated to your tasks and how will you be rewarded for doing 'extra'.

Desi managers will be like mukadams. Mukadam is a word which means a person who is like a foreman who orders labourers around on a road construction or a building construction site.

But in reality a desi manager is this - a "muka" and a "Dum" . Let me explain. In Marathi, the workd "muka" means "kiss' and "Dum" means "shouting, chiding, yelling". So a desi manager is always "kissing" his white bosses ass and even licking is so much that not just his nose but his face turns brown. While he is tossing his boss's salad, this cocksucker will just give his team "dum" or yelling that "do this or else Senior Manager/Director/VP/CEO will fuck our ass".

Today's cocksucker managers in general just suck white dick or toss white salad and always dick around with you. Just because they wrote some fucking Windows API code or DOS internals or Unix internals or some X Windows code, they will always wax eloquent on how they wrote great code and how your schedule looks way too padded and how what you are doing should be simple.

During your appraisal/performance review/OKR review/whatever they call the scam for supposedly evaluating your performance and promoting you a desi manager who is a white cocksucker will play helpless. He will say things like 'Oh I am being your friend. I was a coder just like you and now that I am a manager I really understand how difficult it is to get any sort of pay hikes or promotions. You know that things are not so great as they were in 1999 and how things will improve and how you are supposed to do 'extra' and then how you can get promoted'. They will also use fucked up terms like 'lets carve a role and mission for you so that next year I can ask Senior Manager/Director/VP/CEO to promote you'.

Such desi aholes will always fall over themselves to jerk off the last drop from senior management cock to get their agenda and their promotion secured, while conveniently forgetting how the team is responsible for the success of the product and the consequent success of the ashole himself.

In my life I have always respected only two desi managers - one from Siemens where I started my career and the other when I was with Tata Unisys. These two men were real men who knew how to rally us men and get the best from us. They knew what is means to run a team and how to get respect.

I dont say that all desi managers are assholes, but many in the USA are pukka chewtiyas!!

Last edited by echarcha; July 9th, 2006 at 04:47 AM.
Old July 9th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Junior eCharchan

Thanks echarcha for the comments. Yeah, I have a feeling too that dealing with a desi manager can be a PITA (Pain in the Ass). Desis is power can be horrible to deal with (just thinking of my engineering college profs reminds me!). I also agree that a pure service oriented company requiring one to maintain legacy code etc can suck.

I have has chinese and caucasian bosses in the US. Both were pretty good. I was originally anxious that a chinese boss could be a pain the ass but luckily the ones i got were pretty OK - but i don't know if this can be generalized. Caucasian (if born and brought up in america all the better) male bosses are the best for the Indian male based on my intuition.

Thanks for the pointer to the other thread.
Old July 9th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

Quote:
Originally Posted by createfuture
Thanks echarcha for the comments. Yeah, I have a feeling too that dealing with a desi manager can be a PITA (Pain in the Ass). Desis is power can be horrible to deal with (just thinking of my engineering college profs reminds me!). I also agree that a pure service oriented company requiring one to maintain legacy code etc can suck.

I have has chinese and caucasian bosses in the US. Both were pretty good. I was originally anxious that a chinese boss could be a pain the ass but luckily the ones i got were pretty OK - but i don't know if this can be generalized. Caucasian (if born and brought up in america all the better) male bosses are the best for the Indian male based on my intuition.

Thanks for the pointer to the other thread.
re-read again.. I just edited and added more content.
Old July 9th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Junior eCharchan

Thanks for the additional comments; they give a good idea. Also, since you have worked in Unisys, Siemens etc. and also in the US, you would have a good idea of both work cultures.

My basic question is: If you were today given a choice between working in Pune for say 10-15 lakhs and between a $70-110K job in the bay area in a field/product of your choice(but the Pune company will be desi with desi manager,work culture and bay area company US with gora manager,US culture, what would you take?) Assume other all other circumstances are same i.e. familt members preferences, family issues etc.
Old July 9th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Junior eCharchan

One thing I would say based on my experience is that it takes a strong MAN (or WOMAN) to be a manager. Cocksuckers, pimps, lesbians, whores, assholes, jerks, morons CANNOT and should not be a manager. They should thoroughly test a manager before assigning him the role. And he should have the GUTS to protect his team members from politics. The worst thing that can happen is a manager who is a pussy and cannot stand up for a his team members.

The amount of mental anguish than a incompetent manager can cause his team members is immeasurable.
Old July 9th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Dhureshvar Dhuracharya

dhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond reputedhurandhar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
Ask Terminator for some help with digging up an old thread where a guy who has worked in US and has returned to India writes about his experiences of working back home. I think the title is "... Interesting .. look at ..." or something.

I dont say that all desi managers are assholes, but many in the USA are pukka chewtiyas!!
Manager means " Man Ager" meaning he/she causes men to age before due

Cha pai....I feel that you crave for independence and creativity....time to take a plunge (not plunger) into the world of entrepreneurship

Btw, "muka" must have evolved from "moonh ka" meaning "of mouth"