eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Jobs

Notices

Jobs Please post your job requirements and job openings here...

Old March 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Red face H-1B visa holders to get pink slips at Microsoft

Latest update on H1B visa holders and their job security in the US.

Quote:
H-1B visa holders to get pink slips at Microsoft

Washington: Microsoft, which has recently announced shedding some 5,000 jobs, will be giving pink slips to H-1B visa holders too, despite acknowledging that this category of workers has a significant contribution to the company's success.
Microsoft, in a letter to Senator Charles Grassley, has said the H-1B work visa programme helped hire the best available talent of the world.

The present Microsoft line can be seen in the context of the policies of the Obama regime, which gives preference to companies hiring Americans in giving bail-out.

H1-B employees have always accounted for less than 15 per cent of Microsoft's US workforce, the level that is used in immigration law to determine whether a company is "H-1B dependent," the letter said.

Answering a specific question from the Senator on H-1B people losing their jobs, Microsoft said: "Workers on H-1B visas and other temporary work visas make up only a small percentage of our overall workforce, but they were also among the employees impacted by the reductions announced in January. Employees outside the United States were also impacted."

LINK
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: H-1B visa holders to get pink slips at Microsoft

I saw in one thread about the Immigration authorities asking H1B holders coming back from India or coming here for the first time to return back.

Well, some immigration lawyer forums have debunked this as a rumour, but now I beg to differ.

Just last night, I was talking to someone who works for a big company here in the Bay Area. They have a local 'consultant'/vendor who provides on site 'consultants' on contract. Now this company contracted with an Indian company and got about 5 people on H1B from India. All of these 5 folks were in USA before on some projects and were now back in India as their projects had ended.

So as these five folks came up to SF airport, they were questioned by the Immigrations officer. They showed their letters of employment and the officer called up the company here in USA.

After some discussions and information exchange and some internet searching the officer refused entry to the 5 folks on H1B citing the reason that there were job openings in the company they were going to 'consult' at and that there were definitely local people available for the jobs. The 5 guys were asked to return immediately on the next flight back to India.

Again, this person I talked to is in that big company and I can believe him. So I dont know if this has been happening more or if this is the one incident which is being talked of on immigration forums.
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Chosen One

DesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond reputeDesiBaba has a reputation beyond repute

obongo nay toh hawa tight kar di hai desh ki
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:28 PM
the Centre Right Indian!

rameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond reputerameshp has a reputation beyond repute

I can only say this about US: The next big innovation is NOT going to be American!

The 90s greatest contribution to the world was Internet, which was an American achievement. But the next wont be. This is not because US is losing H1-B code coolies. But its because Obama is actively destroyed American core values like entrepreneurship and business environment that lead to greater innovation.

In the process of denying entry to educated immigrants and allowing/granting amnesty to uneducated illegals from south, the lefties are ensuring assured destruction of America!

Captain R Harshan
Ashok Chakra, 2 PARA SF,
Indian Army.
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:54 PM
unbanned and unstoppable

gayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post
I saw in one thread about the Immigration authorities asking H1B holders coming back from India or coming here for the first time to return back.

Well, some immigration lawyer forums have debunked this as a rumour, but now I beg to differ.

Just last night, I was talking to someone who works for a big company here in the Bay Area. They have a local 'consultant'/vendor who provides on site 'consultants' on contract. Now this company contracted with an Indian company and got about 5 people on H1B from India. All of these 5 folks were in USA before on some projects and were now back in India as their projects had ended.

So as these five folks came up to SF airport, they were questioned by the Immigrations officer. They showed their letters of employment and the officer called up the company here in USA.

After some discussions and information exchange and some internet searching the officer refused entry to the 5 folks on H1B citing the reason that there were job openings in the company they were going to 'consult' at and that there were definitely local people available for the jobs. The 5 guys were asked to return immediately on the next flight back to India.

Again, this person I talked to is in that big company and I can believe him. So I dont know if this has been happening more or if this is the one incident which is being talked of on immigration forums.
I really have a tough time believing this... we all know that a lot of these desi contractors indulge in exploiting the system and no need to go over that. if you have a genuine employment then you need not be concerned, if you are in bench or paying a desi pimp to maintain status then may be this may happen. again the important point is to be legit. Any information coming from these desi badwa recruiters is questionable...

Last edited by gayaguzra#1; March 20th, 2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Ruler of Middle Earth

compukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond reputecompukid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha View Post

Well, some i
Find this really hard to believe. When did the immigration officer at the port of entry take over the Unemployment office's job ? He looked up on the internet for what ? How does he know what skillset is reqd. ? The USCIS guys approved the labor. The consulate gave them a VISA. And I doubt they would refuse entries to H1B holders....and if they did, then we can expect some legal cases from law firms like Murthy.com.
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:22 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

I was asking similar questions in another thread... I have heard of such cases happening...

I find it hard to believe myself because none of such incidents have been reported in the news and neither has US govt or USCIS made any statements...

I was on a vacation in Feb in India but when I was to return my job was gone and my boss was laid off... so wondering if coming back to US would be a big trouble... I left my apartment closed with my car still there... my friends are taking care of the whole thing now...

Last edited by sarv_shaktimaan; March 20th, 2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:29 PM

sarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond reputesarv_shaktimaan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by compukid View Post
Find this really hard to believe. When did the immigration officer at the port of entry take over the Unemployment office's job ? He looked up on the internet for what ? How does he know what skillset is reqd. ? The USCIS guys approved the labor. The consulate gave them a VISA. And I doubt they would refuse entries to H1B holders....and if they did, then we can expect some legal cases from law firms like Murthy.com.
some people are saying that visa does not guarantee an entry... it means you are qualified to enter but its basically up to the POE (Port of entry) officer to grant you entry... I am yet to see anything in print about this... I would believe such things only then... All I have heard of until now are things like friend's cousin's uncle's nephew was denied entry...
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:33 PM
unbanned and unstoppable

gayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant futuregayaguzra#1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarv_shaktimaan View Post
some people are saying that visa does not guarantee an entry... it means you are qualified to enter but its basically up to the POE (Port of entry) officer to grant you entry... I am yet to see anything in print about this... I would believe such things only then... All I have heard of until now are things like friend's cousin's uncle's nephew was denied entry...
you are right a Visa does not automatically guarantee an entry. POE officer has some power, if he finds you are criminal that was not detected when they isses you a visa he can refuse you entry. There are some criteria here, dont remember the exact details on what the criteria are. POE officer verifies your legal status. You could have a 3 yr visa but does'nt mean your legal status in US is in order. POE guy if finds out you have not been maintaining status then I guess he can deport you

Last edited by gayaguzra#1; March 20th, 2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:36 PM
unbanned and unstoppable

Quote:
I was asking similar questions in another thread... I have heard of such cases happening...

I find it hard to believe myself because none of such incidents have been reported in the news and neither has US govt or USCIS made any statements...

I was on a vacation in Feb in India but when I was to return my job was gone and my boss was laid off... so wondering if coming back to US would be a big trouble... I left my apartment closed with my car still there... my friends are taking care of the whole thing now...
are you still outside US? If I remember they cannot lay you off if you are on vacation... they have to give the notice personally, so you could technically argue in port of entry that you are still employed. they may ask you a latest pay stub and as long as its recent see no reason why they will single you out
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayaguzra#1 View Post
are you still outside US? If I remember they cannot lay you off if you are on vacation... they have to give the notice personally, so you could technically argue in port of entry that you are still employed. they may ask you a latest pay stub and as long as its recent see no reason why they will single you out
I'm in India... vacation or not but my jobs gone... didn't want to risk flying to US and returning back in a day for nothing... looking for another job in US right now but jobs are scarce...
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:43 PM
unbanned and unstoppable

Quote:
I'm in India... vacation or not but my jobs gone... didn't want to risk flying to US and returning back in a day for nothing... looking for another job in US right now but jobs are scarce...
you still have 60 days on H1 if I am correct... I assume you got laid off in the last few weeks..
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayaguzra#1 View Post
you still have 60 days on H1 if I am correct... I assume you got laid off in the last few weeks..
but entering without a job is BIG no-no... I get what you are saying but what if the officer wants to confirm job status with the company contact / HR... so better to interview on the phone... I have excellent references and work experience... banking on that to help me get back... :Crossed fingers:
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:54 PM
unbanned and unstoppable

Quote:
but entering without a job is BIG no-no... I get what you are saying but what if the officer wants to confirm job status with the company contact / HR... so better to interview on the phone... I have excellent references and work experience... banking on that to help me get back... :Crossed fingers:
hmm... were you employed by a desi badwa or a regular company. If its a regular company then he wont bother to do all this. You can try reaching here on a Friday night or Saturday if you are that worried. I guess you'll need a physical presence in US to do face to face interviews for jobs unless you can get a job with an old employer, who'll do a h-1 transfer....
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:08 PM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute

I somehow feel Barack Obama is going to be a failure. He can talk all right but he's screwed up on the economy as well as Pakistan. He's indulging in undue protectionism the same protectionism that India was criticized about. It may do some good in the short term but in the long term there is going to be disaster for the US as he's gonna make American businessmen do business in a new protectionist evironment which they are not used to. The other day the British PM Gordon Brown cautioned Europe against being protectionist even if it seemed to be a very atractive option in the current economic turmoil. Trade will be badly hit later. For eg: If you get t shirts made by 'American workers who rolled up their sleeves and got back to work due to the change management guru Pres. Obama' then you can imagine if the same folks would be able to afford to buy their own produce from K-Mart after work! Unless of course Obama adds some clothing subsidies to American workers who would be in his configuration management scheme of things

America together we'll bring change..not from Washington, but TO Washington...My ass!

Last edited by viking; March 21st, 2009 at 07:15 PM.