eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > Current Affairs > Indian Politics

Notices

Indian Politics Our national time-pass!

Old December 19th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute
What Is Wrong With The Shiv Sena?

As a die hard supporter of the Shiv Sena I was wondering what has gone wrong with it off late. The following letter sums it up. Maybe Raj will revive it!

----------------------------------------------------------

Dear Shri Balasaahebji, I have been watching the Shiv Sena (SS) since its inception. The British governed the region as part of the Bombay Presidency, which spanned an area from Karachi in Pakistan to most of the northern Deccan. The British rule was marked by social reforms, an improvement in infrastructure as well revolts due to their discriminatory policies. At the beginning of the 20th century, a non-violent struggle led by Mahatma Gandhi began to take shape. In 1942, the Quit India Movement was called by Gandhi which was marked by a non-violent civil disobedience movement and strikes. After India's independence in 1947, independent princely states in central India joined the Indian Union. In 1956, Bombay state came into existence which merged the princely states of central India into Bombay Presidency. On 01.05.1960, the state of Maharashtra came into existence, carved out of the Marathi-speaking territory of Bombay state. after a successful fight with Gujarati CM of Bombay presidency, Mr. Morarji Desai and after wresting the city of Mumbai from going to the state of Gujarat.

SS started in 1966 after seeing the futileness of Bombay being state capital but no one gave jobs to Maharashtrians, as people from south evaded state and city. That was the scenario, where common marathi manoos was not happy in Bombay, and you were the first person to grab this opportunity. You talked of It started to provide relief to Marathi Manoos and I still remember your sainiks attacks on south Indians, the attack on Visawas, the premier restaurant at Dadar. Sometime at this juncture you realized that Bombay is being governed by the Red Flags, and you started your Union wing. BKS, which successfully expelled communists from Maharashtra and on the basis of this and some other factors SS became popular amongst the people of Maharashtra but was dreaded by the industrialists, who started funding Sena to avoid trouble in their own business. Came Dattaji Salvi, Ramesh More, and with other leaders, and with riots of 92, SS could wrestle power from Congress in the state. but at what cost? with BJP? who at the start of the 'uti' had only 2 seats in vidhan sabha and now has almost equal seats, at par with SS.

With the prosperity, erosion of your party started, corruption entered, Sainiks became Shakha Pramukhs and parallel courts started running. Shakha Pramukh means owner of a good flat, a Sumo and a hotel in the village. Similarly, Vibhag Pramukh means more and MLA means more and more. Councilors who used to preach that Maharashtrians should study in Marathi started sending their own kids to English medium school and some more affluent councilors and MLAs sent their kids to USA for schooling, mind you, not for higher studies but for basic schooling. Since sainiks did not have any other business experience, (generally they stay away from stock market, which involves brainwork and transportation which involve legwork) they preferred visible profitable businesses like hotels and shops, we saw lot of hotels coming up in Konkan belt, on Goa road belonging to SS shakha pramukhs, Vibhag pramukhs, MLAs and Ministers, good thing that they were prospering, but common marathi manoos remained where he was. It was a saying in my neighborhood that, a shakha pramukh means, "gaand ke neeche Sumo, rahne ko two bedroom flat aur gaav me hotel". Those who talked of aamchi mumbai could never belong to Mumbai and they started filling up other parts of Maharashtra with their money not earned by hard work in Mumbai with the buying of properties in their villages. I personally know many SS men who did this. in the process, the marathi worker, remained away from the hard work, because he felt that joining Sena is easier way to prosper, and remained away from the street of Mumbai, which was in turn occupied by people from North India and Bihar, whom SS calls "per-prantiya".

Right now the scene is, Marathi manoos wants easy money like their local leaders have amassed. does not want to do hard work, UPites have even captured the traditional fish business from Kolis, They captured all the hard labor jobs which used to go to marathi manoos earlier. like, subzi vending, taxi and rickshaw business, milk vending, small eateries, photo frame making, house keeping jobs in hotels and labour jobs in factories, you name and you will find that marathi manoos is loosing hold everywhere because of the policies of the leaders of SS. When Raj and Unmesh buys property worth 450 crores and will invest another 1000 crores to develop, common man of Maharashtra would automatically think only two words "from where?". You say they have earned that much of money to do legitimate business, Marathi manoos asks, "THAT MUCH" How? show us the way so that we also can earn at least one hundredth of that much, in double that much time. Sorry sir, today’s marathi manoos is not that of late sixties and early seventies. today he understands everything but he still does not have that hold which is shown by his neighborhood SS leader to have that flat, sumo and hotel at least.

Advani is talking about Ram Mandir, you talk about Hindu Muslim fights, par prantiya lok, of non existent issues facing Maharashtra, and so on, but of late you have never touched the basic issue of those who are Maharashtrians by the virtue of their bith in Maharashtra. We,the Maharashtrians by birth wants to re-gain the street power. And if you can provide this we will be with you, but We also know that those around you can not do this because of their personal prosperity. They do not want to indulge and dedicate themselves to the real cause of Maharashtrians. Right now, I think Raj has diagnosed this and he is moving in that direction. If he can provide bhaji shop, rickshaw license and permit and re-establish union in students and some other industry, dont you think he would be a tough challenge to Udhdhav?

And lastly.....You know actually what happened, but all these days you kept on denying any rift between two brothers, now it is your duty to tell us the truth. We do expect your version of this split.
Old December 19th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Dead On Arrival is back

Sane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond reputeSane Less has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Is Wrong With The Shiv Sena?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking
As a die hard supporter of the Shiv Sena I was wondering what has gone wrong with it off late. The following letter sums it up. Maybe Raj will revive it!
Vik pai, did you write this letter? who is the author of this letter?

"Hinduism brought a multitude of religions under one roof and survived for eons. Christianity and other religions will need to do the same or perish." - saneless
Old December 21st, 2005, 02:19 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Is Wrong With The Shiv Sena?

Its sad. Balashabe is in his last years. The opportunists are tearing down what he built.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 04:32 AM
Indian eCharchan

Indian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond reputeIndian has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: What Is Wrong With The Shiv Sena?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echarcha
Its sad. Balashabe is in his last years. The opportunists are tearing down what he built.
jab tak aap jaise log hain balasaheb ko kuch naheen honewala . fikar mat kariye, aaap ka shiv sena abhi tak "conceptually very strong" (not like bjp , which is now trying to become scular )
balasaheb ki ek speech kaafi hain ..sabh marathi manoos ko ikatta karne ke liye.

jai maharashtra !

not ashamed to be IDLE !
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:53 PM
eCharchan

Cooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond reputeCooldude has a reputation beyond repute
Post Bal Thackeray on the Sena Crisis

The roof might have caved in

In a freewheeling interview to Saamna, the Shiv Sena daily newspaper, Sena supremo Bal Thackeray spoke his mind about the recent upheavals in the party.

Quote:

A picture is emerging that the Shiv Sena is in the midst of a grave crisis.

What crisis are you talking about? Shall I call it a minor problem or a crisis? I've braved a lot many storms before this. This is not the first time I am facing a storm. It is a different thing if you want to call this problem a grave crisis.

When people asked me to merge the Shiv Sena into the then Janata Party, I told them: This will never happen. If you people want to stay in the Sena or leave it will be your decision. I have sustained the growth of Sena even in those circumstances. I took the saffron flag to every nook and corner of Maharashtra and even raised the saffron flag over Delhi.

Do you feel any kind of loss due to this storm?

The roof might have caved in but the foundation and the walls are still very strong. I don't feel any loss due to this storm.

A lieutenant like Narayan Rane left the organisation and you recently.

He did not leave. I threw him out of the party. Do you get this? I've already told you about his black deeds. I'll repeat the entire thing if you have time.

But Rane was an aggressive Sainik.

For God's sake! Since when did he become aggressive? He began his aggression in the bylanes of Chembur (a suburb in northeast Mumbai). It got a platform because of the Sena. I gave shape to his aggression. I made him what he was in the organisation and he accepts that.

Once Rane was sitting at the same place where you are now and I asked him: Tell me Narya (a derisive term to describe Narayan Rane the same way Chhagan Bhujbal is referred to as Lakhoba in Sena language), when you roamed the streets of Chembur showing off your aggression, did you ever imagine that you will become Maharashtra's chief minister?

He said no without even thinking twice. You have made me what I am today and I'd have been killed in an encounter had it not been for the Shiv Sena.

These words of Rane are still with me. Do you understand?

Rane says the Shiv Sena progressed because of him.

Oh! This is not something new. The same yelling was even done by our Lakhoba after leaving the Sena. What do you think I have been doing for the last 40 years? The credit goes to my Shiv Sainiks. Tomorrow Rane may even say the Congress progressed owing to him in Maharashtra.

Even when many people left the Sena before, Mumbai and Konkan remained the Sena's forts.

That is absolutely right.

But this time the picture is different. The place where the Shiv Sena was born is under siege now. The walls of the fortress seem to be crumbling.

The reason is we showed a little kind heartedness towards Naroba. It seemed the entire Konkan belt was gifted to him. He made that place his stronghold by using money and muscle power. He distributed lots of money to pressurise voters there. Because of his acts of terrorism we suffered in Malavan and Kankavali during the recent by-elections.

He misused power and muscle power to a great extent and this was starkly ignored by Home Minister R R Patil and Chief Minister (Vilasrao) Deshmukh. Even complaints lodged with the Election Commission bore no results. He made blatant use of muscle power. He would threaten people against giving accommodation or meeting venues to the Shiv Sena and people budged to his pressure tactics.

Isn't this an open act of terrorism?

Where's the law and order? Patil put a ban on dance bars. But his police were dancing to Narya's tunes. What was the home department doing? (Sena working president Uddhav (Thackeray)went there for campaigning along with the Mumbai police. The owner of the restaurant they went to have some snacks requested the police personnel not to tell others they were with Uddhav's entourage or else Rane's men would destroy his hotel.

At that moment Rane's goons came along in a motorcade and asked what was going on. The police party said they belonged to the Rane camp and the situation was brought under control. This was the extent of his terrorism. The Election Commission, the local police and the collector did not take any action over this incident. They did not let us campaign properly; our polling agents were threatened in broad daylight. But it is alright.

Today they are in power and this is the arrogance of power. But believe me tomorrow the Shiv Sena will be in power and all those who helped Rane will have to give an explanation then. Be they election officials or Naroba's hired thugs.

Wasn't the Shiv Sena using the same formula earlier? Today you are complaining against Rane.

What complaint? I said it's alright. Who's this Naroba? Wait for some time. The Shiv Sena never indulged in such acts of terrorism. There is a difference between aggression and acts of terrorism. The Shiv Sena fought according to the circumstances. I never let the Shiv Sena slip into a party of terrorists.

We stood and fought for one ideology. We always had power. Even today we have power. We never utilised this strength to win elections via acts of terrorism. We would use our strength only to fight injustice done to the Marathi people and will continue to do so in the future.

Rane was thrown out of the party because he criticised the way in which the Sena was being run.

No. It's a white lie. Naroba alleged we trade party tickets to the highest bidder. This matter was settled at Ranga Sharda (a hotel in Bandra, northwest Mumbai when Rane spoke on the topic. He was sitting on the dais. (Former chief minister Manohar Joshi was also present. People's representatives from all corners of Maharashtra were also present at that event. I asked an open question. I asked people to come forward with instances of ticket selling without any fear or anybody's pressure.

I wanted the answer to my question: Tell me how much money did we demand from you to distribute tickets? I will not keep Uddhav in the Sena if somebody gave or he took money from somebody to give tickets. We all will leave the Sena at once. But then all of them said these things had never happened.

Later, Naroba threatened his band of Sainiks to tell lies against Uddhav. I have never allowed such gangsterism in the Sena.

What happened after your speech at Ranga Sharada?

What happened? Naroba continued with his threats. Even I was keeping a close watch on him. He then went to Sindhudurg (district in Maharashtra's Konkan region). Earlier whenever he would go to Sindhudurg he would take my phone calls. If he was not present at the time of my call, he would immediately call back. But this time he did not call me even after repeated phone calls. Then the picture started emerging.

He went to Goa from Sindhudurg. He came back to Kankavali with a huge morcha. He organised a public meeting after reaching his hometown. He spoke about the mismanagement of party affairs by Uddhav, ow tickets were being sold to the highest bidder. He asked his followers if they would support him if he took a decision against the party. They supported him by slogans like 'Narayan Rane aage badho, hum tumhare saath hai (March ahead Narayan Rane, we are with you).'

I received all these reports. When he came to Mumbai his supporters surrounded him with a cavalcade of more than 40 cars and chanted slogans like 'Narayan Rane angaar (fire) hain, baaki sab bhangaar (feeble) hain. Since when did you become fire?

He ran away to his house after fooling his supporters that he wanted to go to Matoshree. He did not turn up for the next two days. Later he turned up at Sena loyalist Suhas Samant's hotel near Panvel. He briefed Samant about his plans. Samant told him that even though they were good friends he would never betray the Sena for him.

Rane threatened Samant with dire consequences and left Panvel in a huff. I got this news immediately on my mobile. I understood Rane's gameplan of creating a split in the party. I immediately summoned all the Sena leaders and told them about Rane's misadventure. What should we do? Earlier, Sharad Pawar had made a statement that Rane was in touch with him for the past three, four months. State Congress president Prabha Rau also hinted that Rane was in touch with her for the last six months.

What was his need to meet this people? He was trying to strengthen his roots in Delhi. The Shiv Sena could not afford such blatant indiscipline. He would have made himself a martyr by saying that he resigned from the party in protest against Uddhav's mismanagement. I would not let him do that. I immediately summoned a meeting of my party legislators and announced that I was sacking Rane from the Shiv Sena for anti-party activities. This is the background

Link