eCharcha.Com   Support eCharcha.Com. Click on sponsor ad to shop online!

Advertise Here

Go Back   eCharcha.Com > LifeStyle > Life Abroad

Notices

Life Abroad All about life away from home

Old March 13th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Sutradhar {admin}

echarcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond reputeecharcha has a reputation beyond repute
Mahashivratri at the Sunnyvale temple

Monday 11th March 2002 was Mahashivratri. Shama and I went to our local Sunnyvale temple. We were accompanied by another eCharchan (keep guessing) and his wife.

There was a huge queue but we waited patiently. Then as usual there were local desi folks participating in the bahajans on a small stage inside the mandir.

The funny part was that every 'singer' was so enthused and happy to get a chance to croon that it was a cacaphony They knew that we were captive audiences as we had to wait in line. So each one was trying to best the other and signing with such tones that it was quite hilarious. The good part was that even in USA, so many miles apart, we Indians were still keeping oru Indian traiditons alive. And it was nice to see that despite bad signing many young and old folks were singing bhajans, for once leaving talk about just software, technology and stock options aside. Even soime of the children were sitting at rapt attention listening to these bhajans.

The prasad is always offered by the devotees. I stood in line twice to get the yummy prasad It was really good!!

There was a blood sampling Bone Marrow program arranged as one Indian lady with two young kids had been detected with Leukamia. I enrolled for that donor program aong with the many devotees. The doctors were all American and were amazed at how they saw a huge turnout. The one who took my sample said that the program was to end at 9:00 PM but folks still kept coming. Check their site at http://www.marrow.org

Overall it was a nice experience to see so many Indians still following and retaining our culture and traditions.
Old March 13th, 2002, 11:08 AM

Thumbs up Re: Mahashivratri at the Sunnyvale temple

Quote:
Originally posted by echarcha
The prasad is always offered by the devotees. I stood in line twice to get the yummy prasad It was really good!!
yeh bilkul galat baat hai ...... prasad pet bharne yaa taste buds ko pamper karne kee cheej naheen hai ...... waise bahut saare desi shayad isiliye mandir jaate hein

You are right about the other part. In fact, the celebration at the hindu temples that I have seen in USA, far exceeds those in India. I suppose, it is because people here look forward to meeting people from their country in these gatherings. .... and there is no easier way to teach their kids the hindu heritage.
Old March 14th, 2002, 07:09 AM
eCharchan

Spartan is on a distinguished road
Aare Enri.. yaar tum to mauka milte he charcha pai ki lene main lag jaate ho.. thoda hansee majaaak bhee kar liya karo kabhi-kabhi ..
Old March 14th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Spartan
Aare Enri.. yaar tum to mauka milte he charcha pai ki lene main lag jaate ho.. thoda hansee majaaak bhee kar liya karo kabhi-kabhi ..
But don't you see the silver lining, Spartan. eNRI is actually praising the Indian culture and heritage.
Old March 14th, 2002, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Netra

But don't you see the silver lining, Spartan. eNRI is actually praising the Indian culture and heritage.
please read again... its hindu heritage not indian heritage.

there is a difference
Old March 14th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Senior eCharchan

Netra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant futureNetra has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by eNRI

please read again... its hindu heritage not indian heritage.

there is a difference
I noticed it. But isn't Hindu necessarily Indian, the only other Hindu country being Nepal?
Old March 14th, 2002, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Netra

I noticed it. But isn't Hindu necessarily Indian, the only other Hindu country being Nepal?
Even after I lose my Indian citizenship, I will be a hindu. My way of life is determined more by the fact that I am a hindu, than it is by me being from India.

A number of people confuse between the two. My views on India should not be viewed as my views on hinduism.
Old March 14th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Even after I lose my Indian citizenship, I will be a hindu. My way of life is determined more by the fact that I am a hindu, than it is by me being from India.

A number of people confuse between the two. My views on India should not be viewed as my views on hinduism.
Well the kind of views you have abt. India your citizenship should be taken away !
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old March 14th, 2002, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dirty

Well the kind of views you have abt. India your citizenship should be taken away !
I take that as a compliment

But, can't apply for my US citizenship yet. So, the taking away of my Indian passport will have to wait.

Please do not derail the thread
Old March 14th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Point well taken eNRI unless people think that India is Hinduism!
Old March 14th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Super eCharchan

dirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond reputedirty has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

I take that as a compliment

But, can't apply for my US citizenship yet. So, the taking away of my Indian passport will have to wait.

Please do not derail the thread
I ment to give it to you as a compliment.
Here he is ...
The proud citizen of No where !

Do you need more compliments ?

I have some complimentory peanuts for you
Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.
Old March 14th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Ass Kicker

viking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond reputeviking has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down No way jose

Quote:
Originally posted by dirty

If the citizenship of people like the great Shahi Imam is not taken away why should our lil eNRI suffer?
Old March 14th, 2002, 08:15 AM
eWoman

Sheena is on a distinguished road
Personally I feel that Enri guy is more Indian than who pretend to be Indian,bcoz at least he said truth all the time......means he never shows Dual-mentality anywhere.

*oh! no offence to others.*
Old March 14th, 2002, 08:20 AM
eFriend

awara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of lightawara_dost is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheena
Personally I feel that Enri guy is more Indian than who pretend to be Indian,bcoz at least he said truth all the time......means he never shows Dual-mentality anywhere.

*oh! no offence to others.*
If he speaks truth all the time to phir Sheena ji madam ji woh Indian kehan reha......... aur kaise ho sakta hai....

Awara Hawa ka Jhonka Hoon, aa Nikla Hoon Pal do Pal ke Liye.
When you meet a man, you know his face but not his heart
Apni apni dhapli aur apna apna raag, eCharcha me apne baato ke gole daag
Old March 14th, 2002, 08:31 AM
eCharchan

Spartan is on a distinguished road
I agree with Sheena here as he seems to be missing India more than any of us here... Even if he hates it ... he never forget to hate it... That's true love ..